shape
carat
color
clarity

Egypt chaos - something beautiful in the turmoil.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
I know we can't make political posts, so I am not going to get into that. Tomorrow (or actually in about 5 hours) the largest protests are supposed to occur, it's going to be a big day for the country and many are bracing for the worst. Tonight, I am wishing the best for the people of that beautiful nation.

What I wanted to share are some incredible images that I've seen from the region. I think that mass chaos and brutality brings out the best and worst in people. While the news has and will be filled with many brutal scenes, I think it's important that we take note of the instances when humanity shines bright. At a time when we see so many horrific images on TV, I need to see these images so that I am not desensitized. I've been reading a lot of stories about some Muslims have been guarding Coptic churches while Christians pray, and similarly, about Christians guarding mosques while Muslims prayed. Yesterday I saw this amazing photo. It's a beautiful moment captured by one photographer in Egypt: Christians grabbing hands to form a human shield around Muslim protesters as they take a break to honor the call to prayer.

2gvcl.jpg

Bear in mind that this pic was taken just month after the Alexandria bombing of churches where many Christians died in vain. At that time many Muslims spoke out against the attacks and thousands began show up daily in order to protect churches: http://bit.ly/gOMVVl

I also came across this video where a Muslim man says something like "it does not matter if you're Muslim, if you're christian, or if you're an atheist... we're all together" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThvBJMzmSZI

If you've seen some inspirational images please share them :) here are some others that I liked

168180_10150135174915400_513570399_8453617_3862136_n.jpg

CAIRO, EGYPT - JANUARY 30: An Egyptian Army soldier is a handed a flower by an anti-government protesters in Tahrir Square January 30, 2011 in Cairo, Egypt. Cairo remained in a state of flux and marchers continued to protest in the streets and defy curfew, demanding the resignation of Egyptian president Hosni Mubarek. (Photo by Chris Hondros/Getty Images)
179284_10150135174965400_513570399_8453619_2663057_n.jpg

An Egyptian anti-government activist kisses a riot police officer following clashes in Cairo, Egypt, Friday, Jan. 28, 2011. Tens of thousands of anti-government protesters poured into the streets of Egypt Friday, stoning and confronting police who fired back with rubber bullets and tear gas in the most violent and chaotic scenes yet in the challenge to President Hosni Mubarak's 30-year rule. pb-110128-egypt-unrest-kiss-ps.photoblog900.jpg

yet another iconic photo of a brave protester smooching a bewildered cop
RTXX7QX.jpg

Youngest lil protester
5390342988_a5a1645261_b.jpg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting these. It is too easy to get into the habit of dismissing the people in these far-away conflicts as two-dimensional violent caricatures. These pictures remind me that they are not.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Just please don't loot and/or break any antiquities!!!

--- Laurie

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting these, CB. The photo of the Christians protecting the Muslims in prayer is amazing.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Lula|1296832104|2842827 said:
Thanks for posting these, CB. The photo of the Christians protecting the Muslims in prayer is amazing.

Ditto. Thank you so much for these pictures - the first one especially will stick with me for a long time.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for sharing this. The images that have been showing up on the news are so disturbing, it's really heartwarming to see that some people are caring for one another and looking out for each other. I hope peace finds them soon, although the issues are really deep-seated and I fear that this is not an issue that will be quickly resolved.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
For Egyptians, the road ahead is going to be a long one but we're watching history in the making. The Middle East is changing and our interconnected world is influencing people from every side of the globe. Democracy and freedom are sought by all people, no matter what their faith or background. It's incredible that Egyptians were able to lead a relatively peaceful revolution in just 18 days. In 18 days they changed the face of their nation, the Middle East. Good luck to them in the upcoming weeks, months, and years.

Here are some inspiring pictures

E1.jpg

An Egyptian anti-government demonstrator waves his national flag next to soldiers at Cairo's Tahrir Square in celebration. (Marco Longari/AFP/Getty Images)
E4.jpg

E5.jpg

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
E6.jpg
An Egyptian boy kisses a soldier as anti-government protesters celebrate at Cairo's Tahrir Square. (Mohammed Abed/AFP/Getty Images)
E7.jpg

E8.jpgE9.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome pictures, thank you for posting these.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great pics.
Thanks for posting.

BTW, I got an email asking me for money to help establish Egyptian democracy.
I was wondering if it was some pyramid scheme.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1297460334|2849590 said:
BTW, I got an email asking me for money to help establish Egyptian democracy.
I was wondering if it was some pyramid scheme.

oh wow. that was so corny it made me crack up.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EXACTLY!

Hey, at least someone got the joke. :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous pictures, CherryBlossom. Very moving. Thank you for posting them!

Deb
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Great pics, thank you for posting them. Apparently now the protesters are back in the Square...with brooms and trash bags, to clean up. I am thoroughly impressed by the Egyptian people. I wish them courage, strength, reason and luck for the transition ahead.

CherryBlossom

Shiny_Rock
Muslim Imam holding the Quaran and Coptic Christian pastor holding a cross, shoulder-to-shoulder in Tahrir Square egypt3.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results