shape
carat
color
clarity

EARTHQUAKE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
....did anyone else in No Cal feel it???

Ah...I love Callifornia....

Just thought I''d share...
32.gif

widget

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG I was just coming on here and wondering whether I should start a thread. I definitely felt it here at work. The building shook. Apparently I'm about 113 miles away from the quake, but I felt it alright! I just reported feeling it on the US quake website. It was a magnitude 4.4 centered in Glen Ellen.

widget

Ideal_Rock
No wonder I feel shaken up....where do I live? Practically next door to Glen Ellen!!!!

(I''m such a wuss...
20.gif
)

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2006 11:31:11 PM
Author: widget
No wonder I feel shaken up....where do I live? Practically next door to Glen Ellen!!!!

(I''m such a wuss...
20.gif
)

widget
Are you ok?? You''re not a wuss. I''d be scared too.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are SO due one here in Southern California. I almost just want it to hurry up and happen so people stop speculating about it. And by saying "I almost want it to happen", I mean a smaller stronger one, if there is such a thing (where no one gets hurt!) I'm not interested in ever feeling an 8!
32.gif

Just makes me a bit nervous knowing we are due...

ETA, Widget, I take it you are OK?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lisa...I'm fine.
1.gif

ETA TG...thanks for asking.

You know, I'm used to these things....but still it's unnerving to say the least.

No damage....a couple of things fell over, pictures crooked on walls, etc.

A little excitement, any way!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
There was another one I felt about a month ago - I was sleeping and it was strong enough to wake me up. We''ve been getting some smaller ones around here lately.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
hubby just called and said he felt a slight thud at work in mountain view; however, i felt nary a thing here in the santa cruz mountains.

i've 'ridden' a few, however. i was in a building in stockton when coalinga happened.....that one gave me vertigo.

4.4: 1989 loma prieta had after shocks of that magnitude....but they felt more rolling.

actually, i'll take earthquakes over hurricanes, tornados, scorpions, and certain east coast snakes.....

hope everyone is ok.

movie zombie

ps geyserville area gets them daily but most just aren't felt.........lol, most of california gets them daily, we just don't feel them!

eta: the mere thought of an 8 gives me the creeps!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely felt it!!! Hubby and I were sitting at our desk (him working, me paying bills) and it started off as a little vibration, then it paused. We thought that was it and shrugged because we get those little vibrating mini-quakes pretty frequently. Then after the 1-second pause it started up again but this time it was *really* shaking. DH and I just looked at each other and grinned nervously with our eyes all widened. The big shakes tapered off after 6 seconds (an eternity!) then dissipated back into a little vibration that lasted 3-4 seconds. I was positive the kids would wake up but they didn''t.

It was the biggest quake I''ve felt in the 8 years I''ve lived in the Bay Area! The most interesting thing about these quakes is the sound. It''s like a deep, deep rumble that''s all around you. Cool, yet scary. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop -- the Big One. (knock on wood)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2006 12:00:37 AM
Author: KristyDarling
I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop -- the Big One. (knock on wood)
Hush your mouth girl!!!
2.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2006 12:02:08 AM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 8/3/2006 12:00:37 AM
Author: KristyDarling
I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop -- the Big One. (knock on wood)
Hush your mouth girl!!!
2.gif
ditto!

there''s still a hole in the ground in downtown santa cruz from 1989 loma prieta!

movie zombie

widget

Ideal_Rock
....and of course, now I''m sitting here thinking: "I wonder if that was a pre-shock?"
23.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
TG, I also am like, "Okay, we KNOW it''s coming..." I really just want the "when will it hit" speculation to stop, too. I am a basketcase when it comes to earthquakes, I remember the Northridge quake, I ran out of bed and turned into the hallway too fast and ran face first into the wall, knocking myself out. That was definitely not fun.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You gals all need to move to the safe boring Midwest with me! You might freeze to death in the winter and bake in the summer but at least we don''t have a lot of "traumatic" weather events.

(Seriously, glad you all are OK and I hope the Big One does not him any time in any of our lifetimes.)

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I dont want you guys to have a stronger one.... we feel them in Vegas depending where it happens. I remember the first one I felt. I thought my life was over. My house was rocking going err, err, err, err, electrical pops outside oh my word............. I am still traumatized. California is beautiful but I dont know how you guys can live there with fires, earthshakes, flooding. etc.. Well, thankgoodness everyone one is ok
36.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just curious ... how close is that to the San Andreas fault?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/3/2006 12:01:32 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
You gals all need to move to the safe boring Midwest with me! You might freeze to death in the winter and bake in the summer but at least we don''t have a lot of ''traumatic'' weather events.

You mean midwest safe like my relatives in Kentucky, that are still cleaning up from the tornado that came through a few years ago?
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

Or the time we moved away from earthquake-prone LA after living through the Northridge earthquake to then live through Hurricane Fran in Durham, NC three weeks after we arrived?

Or let''s see....I lived through ash falling on our neighborhood in Portland, OR after Mt St Helens blew...

And then there are all of my friends on the east coast suffering from Lyme Disease...

Or my friend who just bought a million dollar house but is surrounded by rattlesnakes in her yard...

I think we all have our scary things, but California does indeed provide a scary earthquake kind of panic.

We felt this last one too. And immediately laughed at our sorry selves, because our new 55 gallon emergency water drum is....still...empty... and I''m not quite sure where I put that red cross emergency backpack....
7.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
when was it yesterday? i was in So Cal yesterday but Greg didn't say a thing about feeling it. though his buildings are tall and kind of sway all the time anyway, so he might not have noticed...hahaa.

it's pretty funny if you are a non-california native and experiencing an earthquake, they seem to be perpetually in awe. Greg usually comes home to report them to me...i am like ehh..i didn't feel anything!! it takes a pretty big one to move me off the couch or the bed and into a doorway or similar...is anything looking like it's in danger of falling? then i'm not moving!!
2.gif

OH and yes it's times like that when i am glad we don't live in SF. Greg is always talking about how it's going to fall into the ocean soon. if that happens, you SF gals can come stay with us!!! (if you let me wear your jewels)...
31.gif

rhino, the san andreas fault is actually quite long....many of the earthquakes we feel around here are fault related. it's interesting though because if a quake happens over near SFish then typically here in SJ we barely feel it. but it depends on magnitude of course. the one in 89....oh we all felt that.
15.gif

oh and random factoid, i read recently that there are something like 10 earthquakes a minute in california, but we hardly feel any of them if we feel them at all. it was some really high #...(i don't know if it was 10..haha)...but it was interesting. so the ones we feel are far and few between but i guess most of them are under 2 or something so pretty much undetected. no wonder my dog acts so weird all the time!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/3/2006 1:45:24 PM
Author: wallermama
Date: 8/3/2006 12:01:32 PM

Author: Dee*Jay

You gals all need to move to the safe boring Midwest with me! You might freeze to death in the winter and bake in the summer but at least we don''t have a lot of ''traumatic'' weather events.

You mean midwest safe like my relatives in Kentucky, that are still cleaning up from the tornado that came through a few years ago?
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

7.gif

Well, OK, *some* parts of the Midwest are a little more safe than others!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was at 8:08 pm yesterday.

I''ve lived through hurricanes on the east coast, tornadoes and floods in Texas, and now I''m in earthquake country in CA. I honestly don''t know which is the best, but I know that Texas was the worst. No more tornadoes for me, thank you very much. And the flood of 2001....I can''t even go there. I''ve been through some pretty bad hurricanes in the east but everyone''s got cellars. So mostly you just hope nobody''s tree falls on your house. I haven''t been in a big earthquake here...and hopefully won''t.
40.gif
So right now it''s a draw for me between the hurricanes and the earthquakes.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''ve lived iin california all my life and experienced earthquakes...but nothing and i mean nothing scared me more than being near a tornado in oklahoma.

movie zombie

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I dunno. Unless it''s a huge one, a good portion of Californians don''t get too excited over the earthquakes other than the newness factor. Seriously, if it''s less than a 4.0, most people shrug and just carry on. The scene in Independence Day was so right on.

My wife got a voicemail from her mom and all she could make out was something about an earthquake. We had been at the house of a couple of friends of ours with no cell reception so we didn''t get the message until nearly midnight. We were about to call and check to see if everyone was ok even tho it was so late until we stopped to think about it. The TV had been on NBC and no news break happened so it prolly wasn''t that big. We got home and checked the internet (we have no tv) and found out it was just a 4.4. After that, we were like "ahh, it''s a dinky one. We''ll call tomorrow."

I''ve seen the aftermaths of tornados and hurricanes. No thank you. Give me earthquakes any day. The big ones don''t happen for like decades. The little and middle sized ones in btw don''t do anything really. I''d rather not have to worry about some super destructive disaster threatening me every single year.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
even better map: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/shakemap/nc/shake/40187964/

so, no, its not the san andreas....that fault is the one further to the left going out into the ocean just below san francisco [actually, goes out off daily city] and picks up across the head, goes through bodega bay and up north.

movie zombie

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I have lived through hurricanes and earthquakes....earthquakes are the things that gave me nightmares. I lived in So. Cal for 8 years and at first, the 5.0''s were kinda fun. Not too scary....then....NORTHRIDGE. I as in the South Bay when it happened. I will never forget it as long as I live.

My ex bf lived in the building that collapsed in Northridge ON THE FLOOR where all the people die. He had moved out one year before the quake. I was an appraiser at the time so I saw a lot of damage driving all over three counties to do work. I will never forget the moment I drove on Robertson Road and first saw where the 10 freeway overpass collapsed. It was surreal. Nope, don''t miss earthquake country one bit. Thank God it happened just around 5 a.m on a holiday. It could have been MUCH worse if it had happened during rush hour.

(I am in Chicago now).

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/3/2006 2:37:02 PM
Author: movie zombie
even better map: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/shakemap/nc/shake/40187964/

so, no, its not the san andreas....that fault is the one further to the left going out into the ocean just below san francisco [actually, goes out off daily city] and picks up across the head, goes through bodega bay and up north.

movie zombie
Thanks for that info movie zombie. Everything I''ve ever read or heard about the conditions in CA regarding earthquakes has never motivated me to move out on the west coast as much as I love being by the water. Up here in the North East we experience some hurricanes from time to time but nothing as devastating than what''s happening around the many other parts of the country. However we did recently experience a tornado just a little north of us up in Westchester and apparently this lil planet of ours shows no signs of slowing down when a track record is viewed on the intensity and frequency of natural disasters occurring in this world.

Peace,

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I felt it too. I was in my car, driving to dinner, stopped at a stoplight, when the car started rocking. First I thought it was the other cars passing by that created a windy situation. Then I thought the guy behind tapped my bumper. THEN I was convinced that there was something wrong with my engine!

I suspected it was an earthquake, but when I looked at pedestrians on the street, they didn''t seem to notice anything was off, which was why I blamed it on my engine; at least until I read the news later that night.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I guess earthquakes just don''t faze me. I''d rather deal with these than a hurricane. Yes, with a hurricane, you can get out and you don''t have to die. But yearly threats and warnings...no thanks.

If the ground shakes, it shakes. Yes, it can be scary. But the northridge quake, while unnerving, didn''t throw me for too much of a loop. Or maybe it did. I dunno.

That''s why we Californians keep living here....memory can be short.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results