shape
carat
color
clarity

EARTHQUAKE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Movie Zombie and TravelingGal said they'd take earthquakes over hurricanes??!! I live in hurricane country and for the most part we're pretty prepared. We live in a newly constructed high-rose condo tower that was built to withstand 150 mile/hour winds without significant damage. So far, it hasn't been tested and I sure hope we keep it that way. But, at least with a hurricane you know when it's coming. With an earthquake, you typically don't have time to prepare. That would scare me way more.

Too all our PS friends on the west coast, I truly hope the "big one" never comes and let's hope the minor one you just had was just that......minor and the end.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol i agree with MZ and TG...i would take earthquakes over any other kind of random natural occurrence anyday. i don't know why but they just seem so much less rattling (ha ha pun!) than something like a tornado or whatever. i mean you could come out from the bunker after a tornado or hurricane and your house could be gone!!!!
23.gif
at least with the earthquake it comes and it's over and half the time you don't even know it happened. i prefer it that way, i don't want to know what's coming!! i would just freak out. i think also if you were born and raised in CA then it's easier because you grew up like this. transplants always seem way more freaked out about earthquakes than those of us who grew up with them. kinda funny really. it's been 6 years since he came here, and greg is still like 'wow did you know there was an earthquake today?!' ...heehe.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suppose it''s what''s in one''s comfort zone. Me......I couldn''t imagine the ground opening up and gobbling up your house with you in it. What about people in office buildings or on bridges if a quake was large enough to make the structure sway or crumble? Oh my........I''d have nightmares worrying about it. Now......with hurricanes, mother nature huffs and puffs and throws copious amounts of rain and wind at you. And you''ll likely see some flooding, and oh yes, you could get caught by a tornadoe and well
39.gif
.......come to think of it, hurricanes aren''t much fun either.......Let''s just hope no one has an earth or weather related disaster to worry about anytime soon.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/4/2006 3:13:15 PM
Author: Rod
I suppose it''s what''s in one''s comfort zone. Me......I couldn''t imagine the ground opening up and gobbling up your house with you in it. What about people in office buildings or on bridges if a quake was large enough to make the structure sway or crumble? Oh my........I''d have nightmares worrying about it. Now......with hurricanes, mother nature huffs and puffs and throws copious amounts of rain and wind at you. And you''ll likely see some flooding, and oh yes, you could get caught by a tornadoe and well
39.gif
.......come to think of it, hurricanes aren''t much fun either.......Let''s just hope no one has an earth or weather related disaster to worry about anytime soon.

Amen to that Rod.

Mara... I totally hear ya but I can''t help thinking of the potential a bad earthquake can do to hundreds of thousands in CA.
23.gif
When that "big one" comes and apparently, eventually it will the devastation would far surpass what a strong hurricane can do. None of it''s good really ... almost like some presendential elections ... its like picking the best of 2 evils!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the good thing about all the little earthquakes that we have is that they keep the earth's pressure from building up to the point of where we WOULD have 'the big one' or another big one....so i don't mind all the small ones because it keeps the earth more in balance!! the last big big one we had here was 89.

oh and not to make you go
40.gif
rod, but many of the high rise buildings are built to withstand the earthquakes by swaying WITH the earth...it is not as creepy as it sounds. plus most of the development or buildings are earthquake safe/proofed/or built with 'living in earthquake country' in mind.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
DH and I totally felt it - we were in Petaluma that night, and I scrambled under the nearest table.. hehe.
9.gif
Not a big deal though.

I dunnos, I''ve lived in CA all my life and although I know we''re in for a big one, it doesn''t bother me that much. BUT I''m terrified of hurricanes and tornados!!! hehe.

The earthquake did remind me that I need to really put that emergency kit together though!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/4/2006 3:44:37 PM
Author: Mara
the good thing about all the little earthquakes that we have is that they keep the earth''s pressure from building up to the point of where we WOULD have ''the big one'' or another big one....so i don''t mind all the small ones because it keeps the earth more in balance!! the last big big one we had here was 89.

40.gif
rod, but many of the high rise buildings are built to withstand the earthquakes by swaying WITH the earth...it is not as creepy as it sounds. plus most of the development or buildings are earthquake safe/proofed/or built with ''living in earthquake country'' in mind.
Mara.......I''m not a geologist, so perhaps there''s science behind the thought that little quakes quell big quakes. I sure hope for our friends in CA., that that is true science!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2006 4:34:31 PM
Author: flopkins
The earthquake did remind me that I need to really put that emergency kit together though!
While we''re on the topic, for a transplant like me who has not been in a major earthquake, what should a good emergency kit have?

Awhile back I was trying to put one together and I got as far as getting those crank flashlights that don''t need batteries...and then I was so pleased with myself that I stopped there.
20.gif
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2006 4:58:45 PM
Author: FireGoddess

While we''re on the topic, for a transplant like me who has not been in a major earthquake, what should a good emergency kit have?

Awhile back I was trying to put one together and I got as far as getting those crank flashlights that don''t need batteries...and then I was so pleased with myself that I stopped there.
20.gif
2.gif
Lots of WATER. That is the most important thing IMO. Also non-perishable canned goods...things that don''t need to be cooked in case power is out. Batteries, the crank flashlight is great, a crank radio or lots of batteries for a regular radio so you can listen to the emergency broadcasts, candles and matches. Beyond that...not sure. We don''t have one put together either but we should as well!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock

20.gif
2.gif
FG - you crack me up!!!
9.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/4/2006 5:05:55 PM
Author: hlmr

20.gif
2.gif
FG - you crack me up!!!
9.gif
Chances are an emergency kit for an earthquake isn''t all too different than one for a hurricane.

My kit contains the essentials, like lot''s and lot''s of water. Plan on needing 3 gallons/day/person for several days. Also included in my kit are the following:

Canned foods/Non-Perishables
Batteries
Flashlights (battery and crank)
Battery operated small TV (really comes in handy for seeing beyond your world)
Rubbing Alcohol (to sanitize surfaces and bathtubs you can fill with water)
Bandages of all sorts
Anticeptic Ointments for first aid needs
Medicines, particular prescriptive ones you can''t get filled after a natural disaster
Pain relievers
Important papers (know where they are, be able to get them in a hurry)
Pet foods/medicines/supplies like kitty litter (please ensure your animals are tagged or have microchip ids - PLEASE!)
Money (put some aside for an emergency)
Alternative cooking facility (small grill for example)
Blankets

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Firegoddess - my cousin sent me this link a while ago, I think it''s pretty complete.

72 hours

That''s hilarious abt the crank flashlights.
9.gif
Sounds like something I would do!!! hehe.

I also heard that you ought to store things outside in a trash can, so that in case the house collapses you still have access to it...

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/4/2006 5:17:49 PM
Firegoddess - my cousin sent me this link a while ago, I think it''s pretty complete.

72 hours

9.gif

I also heard that you ought to store things outside in a trash can, so that in case the house collapses you still have access to it...
See, now that''s what I''m talking about. And you all think that''s easier to reconcile in your head than a hurricane???? Insanity, I''m telling you........pure insanity..........LOL

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2006 5:20:07 PM
Date: 8/4/2006 5:17:49 PM

72 hours

9.gif

See, now that''s what I''m talking about. And you all think that''s easier to reconcile in your head than a hurricane???? Insanity, I''m telling you........pure insanity..........LOL

Rod- well, I guess that''s the worst case scenario. But in any case, it''s not a great idea to store your kit in your basement, behind alllllll your random boxes, underneath the old mattress... ya know?!

At least all your stuff is still there... underneath the rubble. In a hurricane, it might have been blown off to Oz!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL flopkins i was JUST going to say that!! at least after the earthquake, the trash can will still be there, not flown off to timbuktu.
9.gif
someone would wake up another state over, and be like THANKS for the emergency trash can! where did THAT come from?
6.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/4/2006 4:55:33 PM

Date: 8/4/2006 3:44:37 PM
the good thing about all the little earthquakes that we have is that they keep the earth''s pressure from building up to the point of where we WOULD have ''the big one'' or another big one....so i don''t mind all the small ones because it keeps the earth more in balance!! the last big big one we had here was 89.

40.gif
rod, but many of the high rise buildings are built to withstand the earthquakes by swaying WITH the earth...it is not as creepy as it sounds. plus most of the development or buildings are earthquake safe/proofed/or built with ''living in earthquake country'' in mind.
Mara.......I''m not a geologist, so perhaps there''s science behind the thought that little quakes quell big quakes. I sure hope for our friends in CA., that that is true science!!!
Me too!!!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/4/2006 5:51:14 PM
LOL flopkins i was JUST going to say that!! at least after the earthquake, the trash can will still be there, not flown off to timbuktu.
9.gif
someone would wake up another state over, and be like THANKS for the emergency trash can! where did THAT come from?
6.gif
ROFLMAO!
36.gif

Its wild what you hear concerning how far property is actually flung during tornado''s. It''s like MILES away they''ll find stuff. I''d like to photograph a tornado one day.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I guess my feeling in the end is that anything could happen to us at any time...natural disaster or otherwise.

Each and every time any of us gets in our car we take a much greater risk of being hurt / dying than we do by earthquake, hurricane, etc. But we either take that risk, or ignore that risk, in our cars...which is pretty much what people in California, Florida, the outer banks of NC, etc. do in regards to natural disasters, for better or for worse. We just live our lives and hope for the best.

When I lived in Portland OR, NOT an earthquake zone by most people''s standards, there was a pretty decent one out of the blue, and what scientists were saying on the news is that there are many areas of the country that have had so many hundreds of years since a big earthquake that when they do, it will be devasting. No one expects them in places that haven''t had earthquakes during one or two human lifespans, but they happen, and they are huge. Places like portland are chock full of unreinforced old brick buildings, while cities in CA have had to retrofit like crazy, and regulate new building to the max. Not that I am convinced that those things always work...

I''m not defending us crazy californians or anyone who decides to live in a dangerous area (hello, malibu mud slides! Colorado wild fires!)--I just believe that the earth exists to surprise us just when we think we know what''s what.

Let''s cross our fingers, all over!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL about the trashcans. Now I''m wondering where the heck to put the safety kit once I make it! The second floor? The first? Outside my front door?!
32.gif
Guess I should finish making one first, then worry about it.
2.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I think earthquakes are scarier than weather phenomena.

Besides there being no warnings, there''s something profoundly terrorizing about having the GROUND moving underneath you...there''s no way to get away from it.

I mean, if good ol'' terra firma isn''t firma anymore...
32.gif

widget

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
6.gif
But see, we anticipate this and we lable our things, like our mother's did when they sent us to camp. So even it winds up in another county, we can reclaim it later. Now....... after an earthquake swallows your house, your car and your trashcan, if it's sent back up from down below, I shudder to consider "who" might be sending it back up to you..........
29.gif
11.gif
Sorry.......just couldn't help myself!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL. The first time my fiance was in CA we had one of those little shimmy ones and he was like, "WTF was that.".... I was like, "Nothing." It was a baby-- barely felt it. No one else around us said anything about it either. He thought we were all crazy.

Glad you''re all okay!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2006 8:31:03 PM

9.gif
6.gif
But see, we anticipate this and we lable our things, like our mother''s did when they sent us to camp. So even it winds up in another county, we can reclaim it later. Now....... after an earthquake swallows your house, your car and your trashcan, if it''s sent back up from down below, I shudder to consider ''who'' might be sending it back up to you..........
29.gif
11.gif
Sorry.......just couldn''t help myself!!!!
Rod this just cracked me up. Anyway, in PA growing up we had a big earthquake when I was about 10. I grew up in a very old house and everything was shaking something fierce. It happened in the very early morning and I had no clue what the heck was happening. We had shutters that fell off, paintings fell off the walls, china fell etc... It sounded like a freight train, or maybe it was a loud rumbling. I''ll never forget that. Went to college in Ohio, experienced tornados.(SP) Have been through hurricanes in Nantucket. I can''t decide which is worse, to me they all suck.
32.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2006 11:16:47 PM
Author:widget
....did anyone else in No Cal feel it???

Ah...I love Callifornia....

Just thought I''d share...
32.gif

widget
I felt it, but I didn''t know I''d felt it until later... we''d stopped at best buy in vacaville and I was leaning against the back of the trailer and felt it moving and thought, wow... they must REALLY be moving in the van and blew it off, but it was the exact time of the earthquake... no one else with me felt it. Everyone was in the car except for dh who was in best buy. I love california too - I miss it so badly when I''m not here, earthquakes and all
7.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I prefer quakes. But I have also not lived through anything larger than northridge...although I can''t remember if the whittier one was bigger or not. I don''t think it is.

Re: the emergency kit. It''s better to have camping lanterns or the like over candles and matches. One of the biggest aftermaths of earthquakes is fire. You have to remember that in many cases earthquakes cause gas leaks (in fact, they say to turn the gas off). You don''t want your house to explode after striking a match...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
that''s right TG....!!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/4/2006 5:16:29 PM

Date: 8/4/2006 5:05:55 PM
Author: hlmr

20.gif
2.gif
FG - you crack me up!!!
9.gif
Chances are an emergency kit for an earthquake isn''t all too different than one for a hurricane.

My kit contains the essentials, like lot''s and lot''s of water. Plan on needing 3 gallons/day/person for several days. Also included in my kit are the following:

Canned foods/Non-Perishables
Batteries
Flashlights (battery and crank)
Battery operated small TV (really comes in handy for seeing beyond your world)
Rubbing Alcohol (to sanitize surfaces and bathtubs you can fill with water)
Bandages of all sorts
Anticeptic Ointments for first aid needs
Medicines, particular prescriptive ones you can''t get filled after a natural disaster
Pain relievers
Important papers (know where they are, be able to get them in a hurry)
Pet foods/medicines/supplies like kitty litter (please ensure your animals are tagged or have microchip ids - PLEASE!)
Money (put some aside for an emergency)
Alternative cooking facility (small grill for example)
Blankets
Good list...I would also add prescription meds for those who take them daily or asthma inhalers. Also, a radio. You might not be able to use a tv but you would get frequencies with a radio.

Awhile back, I remember having the advisement to have like a backpack per person with their names in the pack and enough food and water to last for 3 days in the event you need to seperate or whatever.

I am a Californian as of 1984. Previously, I lived in Utah. Earthquakes are LONG overdue for that place. When I was a kid, I remember laying on the carpeted floor of my room, feeling the beginnings of a quake in Sunset, Utah and feeling very scared. It was strong enough to move our piano!

I do not totally freak out with the mini quakes, but I am unnerved. The longer quakes we have had (longer, being ones that last for more than 4 seconds and roll or jerk...yuck!) I am not good with, but for the kids'' sake, I keep myself pretty composed...now.
emsmile.gif

Ok, I am a boob...alright? I experienced a tornado when I was around 5 years old with my folks in Oklahoma or close by there, and I was a basketcase for years at night over that, especially if it got dark and stormed. Nightmares for a long, long time, folks.

Whenever there is coverage of ANY quake in the news, my out of state family calls to see how close it is to us.
emrose.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
while i prefer an earthquake to the other natural disasters, i will admit to carrying in my car for years after loma prieta [1989] the following: one sleeping bag, 2 gallons of water, one two-burner camping stove, propane canisters for said camping stove, lantern, rope, canned food for several days, emergency medical kit. and there was more in the trunk as well.

movie zombie

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
A friend who lived through the Whittier quake was so scared still years later that every night she made sure that her underwear matched her pajamas, in case she had to run out of the house at a moments'' notice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results