shape
carat
color
clarity

Dyed my hair, need opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
My hair has been driving me crazy for a while now. I felt like it was really washing me out. It was almost the exact same color as my eyes and I was really hating the way it was making me look in pictures. I went to the salon to have it dyed and told them that I wanted it to be more like the color of my eyebrows, but they told me that would be much too dark and it would make me look too pale so I went with their recommendation, which in my opinion wasn''t much different from my natural color. That was almost 3 months ago and what there actually was of the salon color had completely faded out. Yesterday I decided I was just going to do it myself, so I did.

I''m really liking the way it looks, but I''m getting married in less than 4 months and can''t decide if I should keep it like this or let it fade back to natural (it''s only supposed to last 28 shampoos).

What do you think? Honest opinions please! Remember, the dye isn''t permanent, but my wedding pictures will be
2.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
It would help if I attached the pic...

before-and-after.jpg

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I like your before hair Robbie....your after hair looks good too, but I vote for your natural colour......

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay that's crazy - the old color really IS the same color as your eyes!

I really like the new color, particularly with those glasses, but I assume you won't be wearing those in the wedding pictures.
1.gif

I need to look again.

How will you be wearing your hair at the wedding?

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Don''t forget what some makeup can do.....especially eye makeup to help balance out the hair/eye likeness.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Firegoddess, I won''t be wearing the glasses on the wedding day. It''s funny because I remember in middle school and high school always trying to dye my hair to get it to be the same color as my eyes and then over time naturally it actually got to be that color and now it bothers me. Haha. Be careful what you wish for.

I guess what really bothers me is that I feel like it makes my eyebrows stand out since they''re darker, but with the darker hair I feel like it makes my eyes stand out. Maybe it''s just me...

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 9:11:58 PM
Author: hlmr
Don''t forget what some makeup can do.....especially eye makeup to help balance out the hair/eye likeness.
That''s true. I haven''t had a makeup trial yet.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know what you mean - my hair color is very dark but I color it lighter, and after awhile I just went back to a dark shade and the first thing someone told me was how much more my eyes stood out (hazel).

Will you be wearing your hair up or down? (or like the avatar?)

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another after where I''m smiling and not wearing the glasses for a more apples to apples comparison.

croppeddarkhair.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the darker color on you robbie, it''s very pretty!!!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 9:13:59 PM
Author: robbie3982

Date: 5/18/2007 9:11:58 PM
Author: hlmr
Don't forget what some makeup can do.....especially eye makeup to help balance out the hair/eye likeness.
That's true. I haven't had a makeup trial yet.
Makeup done right can be huge! I have no doubt you will look gorgeous.....
36.gif

o.k....latest pic reaffirming my love for your natural hair colour!!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
right now I''m thinking half up, but maybe all down with big loose curls. If the stylist could actually get big loose curls to stay all day, I think I''d prefer that.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unless it''s the lighting in the first brown pic, it does seem like the natural color washes your face out more (which is unexpected to me - you''d think the darker color would do that). I really like the dark color, actually.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really love the darker color. But then I''m biased because I have naturally dark hair and light eyes and get compliments on the combination all the time!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the natural color in natural lighting. I think it looks a bit darker because I''m wearing it curly. I haven''t tried wearing it curly with the darker color yet.

natural-natural.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve gotta say, you can''t go wrong either way, which is a good, good thing.
1.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it better now - it matches your eyebrows and for some reason that''s just a thing with me LOL I don''t go around going, oh her eyebrows don''t match, but sometimes it just strikes me LOL When I used to dye my hair I always dyed my eyebrows... and I''m not condoning that, it''s dangerous yadda yadda, but yes, I do think it looks very nice now - you look more sleek or something LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 9:04:56 PM
Author:robbie3982
My hair has been driving me crazy for a while now. I felt like it was really washing me out. It was almost the exact same color as my eyes and I was really hating the way it was making me look in pictures. I went to the salon to have it dyed and told them that I wanted it to be more like the color of my eyebrows, but they told me that would be much too dark and it would make me look too pale so I went with their recommendation, which in my opinion wasn't much different from my natural color. That was almost 3 months ago and what there actually was of the salon color had completely faded out. Yesterday I decided I was just going to do it myself, so I did.

I'm really liking the way it looks, but I'm getting married in less than 4 months and can't decide if I should keep it like this or let it fade back to natural (it's only supposed to last 28 shampoos).

What do you think? Honest opinions please! Remember, the dye isn't permanent, but my wedding pictures will be
2.gif
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'm so bad.... I didn't even read your post LOL But lookie right there? yep - hahaha!!!!! I figured I had enough info with the subject heading and the pics, THEN went to read... oh I'm cracking up now... and I don't think it would be too dark if you went darker, I LOVE that creamy white skin with dark hair, I just wouldn't go too black or you'll look goth (I do like goth look though if you're keen on it hehe)

eta: I didn't read your whole post again cause I'm a dork and my thought is match your eyebrows, your pictures will be lovely and you will be beautiful and I'll just shut up for this post and move to some more pics I saw when I scanned thru lol

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2007 9:29:34 PM
Author: robbie3982
Here''s the natural color in natural lighting. I think it looks a bit darker because I''m wearing it curly. I haven''t tried wearing it curly with the darker color yet.
I like this color because it matches your freckles and eyes... here''s what I would do.... I would either dye your eyebrows to match your hair (but not for the wedding lol) or have your hair dark and just do some subtle highlights in your natural color.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for the natural lighter colour. I think the darker colour is a little harsh against yr fairer complexion (sorry! you did want honest opinions). You'd have to go quite heavy with your make-up to balance out the darker hair and IMHO, I don't think you'd want that on yr wedding day (?). I actually think yr natural hair and eyes are absolutely gorgeous. I'll bet you're more conscious abt that and others probably don't even notice the "sameness" or even think, like I do, that it's a cool coincidence. You can always ask the make-up artist to do something with the make up to lessen the "sameness" if it still bothers you. Also, you can make yr eyebrows look lighter by having a make-up artist pluck and shape them a bit thinner.

You could perhaps do what Sara suggested and put highlights on your darker or alternatively let yr hair fade to your natural colour and put in lowlights (I think that's what it's called).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the darker color.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering if you could practice your makeup application and take a photo after it, with the darker hair? General consensus is concern about the intensity of your makeup- with the darker color.

I really love the subtle variances in the shading in your natural color. Your natural hair is so pretty it actually has life to it! If you are dead set on a change, I would suggest you go in and professionally have it punched up. They will play off your natural colors and just intensify them-hi lites and low lights. So in your upsweep you will see more dimension to your hair. That is it. Your natural color has dimension...the darker is pretty and does compliment your features...it just lacks dimension. I think that loook is a great option for you to have...

But on your wedding day...you want to hear gasps when you appear...because you will make a beautiful bride...right? But gasps because of a drastic hair color...I don''t know...???

My opinion is to enhance your natural color with a professional. You will get the change you are looking for, and the subtleness will leave everyone with wonder...of what you did to be so glowing
2.gif

DKS

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Oooh Robbie, I really adore your new hair color! I think you have opened the possibilities for more color options in your makeup choices. With your natural hair color I could really only imagine you warmer colors, but with your hair darker I think cooler plum tones and pinks will look absolutely stunning on you as well! BTW I love how shiny your hair is and the fact that it is naturally curly so you can wear both ways. Lucky girl!!!
1.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the color of your hair darker. I think on your wedding, the darker color will look fab with your white dress, espeacially half up half down. Also, you have great eyebrows. I wouldn't color them, I would have them PROFESSIONALLY shaped. I stress professionally, cuz you don't want someone to wack off your brows, but having them shaped and cleaned up will give you a really polished look.

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Have you asked what your Fiance thinks? Does it matter? LOL
Do you think years later you will think, why did I change my hair? the change doesn''t look/feel like ME?
Have you thought of adding darker lowlights to your hair? Maybe a more subtle fusion of both colors?
Actually you look gorgeous both ways! What do your friends and family think? Does it matter? Double LOL
Keep us posted, please!!!!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I TOTALLY see what you mean about feeling like your hair and eyes blend, but it is NOT bad. I think both colors are nice, it just depends on so much to me. Time of year, I think the darker is more a fall/winter type look. I am dirty blonde, but I always add lowlights in winter and punch it up a bit blonder in spring/summer just to work with my skin tone better. Think of make up, if you are getting married outside in sunlight or inside, and what color the dress is, which can affect your overall look and complexion. Do you get any tan at all? I never do, intentionally, so I always factor that in. Also, what about how you will wear your hair and will you wear your glasses? All of these things make a difference.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I actually really like both! I had to look at it for a minute to decide which I like better. I think I like the darker (after) better. But its really close! Both are good but if I had to choose I say after.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like your natural colour, but I think that the darker colour is great on you

JenniferB

Shiny_Rock
Both are really pretty - I personally like the lighter better...your natural color has life to it, in the pictures it looks like it has hints of red in it. I think it is very pretty that your eyes and hair are that same color - remember a little eyeliner and mascara go a LONG way when professionally done --- it will break up what you think looks washed out. I second a eyebrow shaping mentioned above, they will seem a little lighter after that (but give yourself enough time for them to grow back in if you don''t like it!)

Try to keep in mind if you will look back and think "that is not my hair color" in your pics. Do you think it is just because you are wanting a "change" or feel like you need a pick me up? I grew my hair, which is always pretty long, really long (about 4 inches past bra strap in back) so I could still have long romantic hair when it was curled for my wedding day. I wanted to cut it *so bad* in the weeks leading up to the wedding because I was so sick of it and wanted a change. I didn''t, and looking back I am glad, because long hair "looks like me." (I got a major chop when I got from the honeymoon and it was lots of fun!) If you are someone that *always* has a different hair color, light in the summer, dark in the winter, etc - it doesn''t matter as much. But if you almost always have your hair natural try to keep in mind the pics, dvd, etc years from now. Either way you''ll be a beautiful bride!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I actually like the way your natural color looks with your eyes. I would go with that but if you really want to go darker I would have high and low lights mixed in so it isn''t as one dimensional. I am totally jealous of the thick hair!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results