shape
carat
color
clarity

Dubai, or not Dubai

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
A few years ago, FI was headhunted for a job in Dubai. At that time, he wasn''t keen on the idea because of his children. He has again been approached (by a different company) and we are now considering it. The financial aspect would be the main reason to go - we would be ''set up'' financially after working there for a few years. But I guess it scares me to live in a country that is so different to where I am. My parents did it, by migrating here from China, and I admire them for their courage, but I don''t know if I could do it. I already have two friends who have moved to Dubai and they enjoy living there. It''s a big decision to make, and family, friends and colleagues are all split as to whether they could do it.

What about all of you in PS Land? Could you pack up your life and go to a foreign country for a few years for financial gain?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband considered the same thing, but it all depends on the contract and the housing. Some people DH knows have a 1 month on 1 month off contract, so their spouses do not have to live there. There are sometimes housing complexes that are quite self-contained and safe. There are a lot of variables. I never thought *I* could manage it, so that was the main issue. I was afraid of the cultural differences, but I can appreciate that if you don''t have kids to worry about, maybe it would be a bit of an adventure and financially worthwhile. Not something I could do long term.

Hi this is my second or third post but I really wanted to add my 2 cents. I would absolutely do it. My partner and 6 month old son moved from Australia to Amsterdam for 2.5 years and it was the best thing we ever did. We are now living in Dublin and if I had my way we would keep moving countries till my son needs to be settled in one school. Yes it takes a while to settle in a foreign country, but the benefits far outweigh any negatives in my opinion. Good luck if you go ahead with the move, I''m sure you''ll never regret it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you are young, i say totally do it. it''s such a fab life experience and you probably won''t regret it later. at this point in our lives i don''t think we''d do anything like that because we are too mentally settled, if we move it''s going to be to another permanent long-term place where we plan to live for 10 years at least. but when we were younger if we had great opportunities open up to us to play it more by ear, why not.

my boss just went to dubai for a trip like 6 months ago, she says its SO americanized...she doesnt'' really recommend it for a vacation as she didn''t like it that much because it''s too americanized, but interestingly enough she said there is a lot of taliban around there. as she said it...not the bad taliban, but they are associated in with that i guess. she said everyone was really nice to them.

but not sure i''d want to live there...if it was like italy, ummm yah. so i''d consider WHERE and also how long, but i think life experiences like this are far and few between so if you like the locale and it''s just ~2 years then why not.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I would do it in a heartbeat! Heck, I will probably have to do it at some point in the near future anyway, however, there will be no monetary incentive (my hubby is military).

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
My issue wouldn''t be with moving. My parents brought me and 4 sibs to the US when we were 5-12 and we gave them grief about uprooting us from all we knew and loved, but its so nice here and no one has shot at me in years. Only partially kidding...

What would concern me about a move to the UAE is the lack of human rights. It wouldn''t be like going from Australia to Holland, its a Muslim country that is very true to the laws of Sharia. Yes, they are building a ton and there are KFCs all over the place and on the surface, things look pretty modern, but look around for local women who are not wealthy...

OP, if you are originally from the PRC, or your parents left? (Cultural Revolution?) You might have a different perspective about your govt telling you how to live your personal life, but if you are very westernized, then really think about it. A young British man was arrested and jailed recently (now released) for being raped by some local men; homosexuality is illegal and punishable by death. Women have been taken into police custody for dressing provocatively. And I don''t know how you feel about alcohol consumption, but its illegal too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates
lots of good links at the end of this.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2008 12:13:32 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
How old are his children and how much does he see them now?
Thanks for your responses everyone. His children are now 18 and 16. He sees them nearly every weekend, but only if THEY are free. You know what teenagers are like, especially those with boyfriends/girlfriends. To them, home right now is just a place to eat and sleep. If we wait until they are older, we may not get such an opportunity like this again.

To relocate to Europe would be for adventure and travel purposes first and monetary gain second, whereas Dubai would be the other way around. There is a huge Australian expat population over there, about 12,000 of us! I know that it's illegal for us to live together over there - one of my friends said not to worry about it and that she tells everyone that she and her boyfriend are married. Apparently that's what a lot of 'unmarrieds' do and there's no problem at all.

In response to Swimmer, my friends call me a banana - yellow on the outside and white on the inside! They say that 'Lemon Chicken' is more Chinese than I am. I was born in Australia and consider myself an Aussie first and foremost. One of my friends over there right now is Australian Vietnamese and she says she always gets mistaken for a Phillipino as there is a huge population over there working as maids. She says that on the whole, she is treated well.

As for alcohol, I hardy touch the stuff, but FI does love a glass of wine or two at night.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
On of my GFs and her DH are there. She is NOT a fan. She does not like the lifestyle and misses her family like crazy. Money can''t buy ya happiness.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
While the children are older I think they still need their father. College or employment (whatever they choose) is coming up and they will need him in that transitional period. You only get 18 years with your children under your wing and the amount of financial gain you may experience with this move does not outway the cons in my opinion.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I have to say that I have a few friends who lived(live) in Dubai and it becomes something of an addiction and love to all those who travel there. One friend was raised in Paris and Dubai, and they preferred Dubai. Another purchased an apartment there on the water and LOVES the place!

it is nothing at all what people assume it to be. People assume the Middle East and think it is very strict and repressive. I saw many people there no different than in any major city. I will admit that outside of Dubai, whe you travel to the other emirates, one would be best served to dress conservative, but outside the US I would just find that to be prudent in general. To me, the money that is available for business opportunities is why most foreigners move to Dubai, but the amenities and richness of culture and country are what make people really love it. I have to say that I am addicted to Dubai and it's one of the most impressive places I have visited, truly. That is partly what makes it the playground of Europeans lately.

Consider who you are and what you find to be most important. Financial stability and comfort, or personal stability and comfort. Sometimes it is worth the expense to stay within your comfort zone, and depending on how adventurous you are, it is worth leaving your comfort zone for new experiences. For me, it's a no brainer, I would move in a heartbeat, because I believe one regrets not taking an opportunity far more than taking one and then changing your mind if it doesn't work out. That's just me. Easier for me, with the jewlery industry there, but will you be able to get a job?

With such a large ex-pat group you really will fee at home, but with a fairly different environment to adjust to. Not a bad thing, just exam yourself what type of person you are and how adaptable you are. I say do it. The shopping is AMAZING, and I have to say it's nice to go skiing and shopping in the same complex...
emotion-5.gif

Good luck and I hope you figure it all out and are happy with your decision!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2008 10:27:49 PM
Author: LitigatorChick
On of my GFs and her DH are there. She is NOT a fan. She does not like the lifestyle and misses her family like crazy. Money can''t buy ya happiness.
HI:

I can relate similar stories of friends....BTW my DH was offered a job and declined, as it was not competitive, economically speaking.

cheers--Sharon

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I concur with Canuk. DH is always offered overseas opportunities (he is an engineer in oil and gas), but the economics never work out, especially since I would take a cut in pay or worse yet, not be able to work, and I make about double what DH makes.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Personally I would go tomorrow.

I was 'dragged up' all over the world and have always found it hard to stay in one place for long.

I keep hoping FI will get offered a job somewhere exciting!

My FBIL spend a lot of time in Dubai - and my cousin has just moved out there a few months ago, and they both love it.

Having spent 8 years in Italy - you constantly beat your head against a brickwall out there. Every country has it's own good and bad points. At least the weather is good in Dubai and there is a good expat community.

RE the children - I went to boarding school, and those of us who had parents abroad were considered very lucky when we got to jet off somewhere for the school holidays. I think it's great for kids and teenagers to get the chance to spend time in other countries.

On the alcohol issue - things may have changed, but when my sister was in Bangladesh for 2 years - another 'dry' country - she had a certificate stuck into her passport which meant that she could buy alcohol from the special shop. The expat club also had an alcohol license. I understood that Dubai was the same.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkster,

I have not logged on for awhile, but thought I would comment.

We lived in Dubai 2004 - 2006.

Please be careful when negotiating a contract.

1. Rentals are very expensive. At a minimium you need compound living. Group of Townhouses together with a shared pool. Preferably with a small garden.
2. Housing usually comes bare - make sure you can get an allowance for curtains and other things that may be missing.
3. Make sure the company provides you with a relocation service to show you around etc.
4. There a very few good schools with long waiting lists, book ahead.
5. We found eating out expensive - sorry we miss our $2 noodles in singapore.
6. Every personal business needs a local sponsor - a financial benefit to them.
7. You will need a beach club membership.
8. Utilities are not cheap.
9. Petrol is vv cheap.
10. Cars are cheap - I think American prices
11. Respect the Emiratis way of life - they hold the power!
12..I found fresh produce abundant more varied and cheaper in Dubai than singapore.

As a salaried person telling me they will be set up for life after a couple of years in Dubai - I doubt it.
As a salaried person telling me they will get a big fat bonus at the end of every year - tax free - yes
As a business owner , yes - possible if your business does well.

I would go back to Dubai - the expats I met were very friendly and down to earth - not so much so in Singapore

Hubby found being Chinese problematic.

Hope that answers some of your questions. If you have anymore let me know

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i hope it is ok to post this if not i understand the delete. i have followed the posts of a very charming young lady who posts on the purse forum. queen mahara is her board name. she is seventeen and lives in dubai. in the course of her posts she has tons of pictures and tells of some dubai customs. recently she told of the custom of family and friends being entertained in the hospital when a child is born. she had pictures of decorations, tea sets and gifts.

she seems very mature, many posters have commented on this, and is most polite and obliging. you might want to check out her posts. she may answer questions? you have received good help here just a chance for additional information if you are interested. hth.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My aunt and uncle moved to Turkey for a great job offer. They were very insulated from the local hardships and lived in what was almost a suburban american town. They also lived very well, servants, drivers.... new high end furniture allowance, REALLY NICE home (all paid for by the company), lots of socializing with interesting people-- ambassadors and so forth. Overall it was a very positive experience for them. But their children, my cousins, were both out of college so they didn't have to worry about that stuff. And my cousins stayed here in the US and only visited Turkey.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
i live in bahrain which is a stone throw away from dubai..i frequent dubai quite a lot (actually ill be going there again in May)...i''ll referain from commenting on some of the things that have been said on this thread, coz i believe that each person is entitled to their opinion/views..However, what i WILL say is to to ignore any stereotypical comments you mite hear about muslim countries and all that..yes, Dubai at the end of the day is a muslim country that abides by the Shari''a...however, they are also a very cosmopolitan society where more likely that not, u will see more ''foreign'' things happening over ''muslim'' things...of all the GCC countries, dubai would be the last city you would concern urself with when it comes to freedom of what to do and how to do it...of course if u go to the more ''local'' settings of dubai and the more ''traditional'' neighbourhoods, then of course culture and religon are paramount and obvious..though those are not common and i bet you will NOT be staying in any of those neighbourhoods..

Have u visited dubai previously? if you havent then i would suggest you go down for a few days to get a feel of the place urself..(if u have been there a few years ago, trust me, ud want to take another visit..dubai changes overnite almost monthly so there is no way u could compare what it was a few years ago to wat it is today).

anyhow..the opp of work and money gain in dubai is enormous...however, there are those who love living in the fast lane...that is dubai for u..it is fast...personally for instance we (both husband and I) have received numerous opp to move there..but we prefer to live in a slower pace atmosphere and dubai would have just not worked for us..

leaving money aside as well (as others have said and i agree, money doesnt buy you happiness)...u need to be sure u can cope living that far away from everything that is familiar to you..and most important of all both you and ur man need to be in total agreement on what to do...if any of u is hesitant and they move and are unhappy they will subconsciously resent the other for making them move..

in any case, best of luck to you and please let us know what u decide :)

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
When FI was approached two years ago, he was offered a US $500k contract. That''s a lot of money, especially since our Aussie dollar back then was only worth about $0.70 US cents. Now, are dollars are practically even. I''ve always said that money does not buy happiness. People make a lot of sacrifices in their life and this is one thing we have to consider - will it be a sacrifice or an adventure?

One of my friends over there has said that FI''s skills are in huge demand and he could pratically name his price. Plus he would be in even more demand when we come back to Australia.

I love the laid back lifestyle and freedoms I have here. At times I think I''m crazy to give all that up for a couple of years, but then I think, where''s my sense of adventure!

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
Starting on March 10th, NPR''s Marketplace did an entire week''s worth of shows on Dubai. If you go to their archive page, starting with March 10th, they have tons of segments about different aspects of life in Dubai, etc. Thought you could find it interesting and perhaps informative!

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2008 10:57:43 PM
Author: Amandine
Starting on March 10th, NPR''s Marketplace did an entire week''s worth of shows on Dubai. If you go to their archive page, starting with March 10th, they have tons of segments about different aspects of life in Dubai, etc. Thought you could find it interesting and perhaps informative!
Thanks Amandine. Will definitely check it out.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I also know that it is a lot less lucrative for Canadians (and likely Aussies) based upon the falling US dollar. The expats and guys that rotate have basically seen a serious pay cut in the past year.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree with msb700 - Dubai does change overnight. I would expect that Dubai would have changed 100% since we where there. I would be disappointed if it hadn''t. Thats the beauty of the place, there is always something new.

Everyone here is offering you excellent advice!

As with all expat contracts to new countries - the company should be giving you a re-con trip. Visit Dubai first. Try and strike up as many conversations with expats about the ''ins and outs'' of everyday life in Dubai - ie There are many ''longtimers'' there.

We don''t mention Dubai in our house. The kids would be onto me to get onto the next plane and I decided at the beginning of 2008 that all travel in future would be to new places. Except of course if I had to go back to Houston for any urgent reason......hahahah

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results