shape
carat
color
clarity

Driving down the California Coast

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Has anyone ever done it? How long did it take and what did you stop and see/do?

Any particular towns on the way to stop and see?

Any specific hotels that were romantic or memorable (ie. jacuzzi in room, etc)??

We''ve got a wedding near LA to go to and we''re driving down there from SF bay area, thought it would be a good time to leisurely drive the coast. We leave next Tuesday and don''t really need to get there till evening on Wednesday.....no obligations till Thursday but want to get there Wed. evening.

I''d love to hear some advice or info from anybody who''s got an opinion on the matter!

Thanks!
36.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the reference, MZ. I should''ve clarified that I was actually looking for suggestions further south of the Carmel area, as that''s pretty close to where I''m starting out, and we''ve been to Monterey and Carmel several times already.
1.gif

drivemap1.jpg

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
definitely stop at Big Sur for views and at HEarst Castle if you''ve never been. An absolute must see IMO. If you''re feeling adventurous, the Madonna Inn near San Luis Obispo is a great place to stay I hear, although I''ve never stayed myself. It''s a fun place to stop for dessert though, and check out the bathrooms!! OMG!! Each guest room is ''themed'' Quite an interesting place, the say the least! If you love steak, McClintock''s Steakhouse, near SLO, I can''t remember the town, is a classic steakhouse with *yum* steak.

There''s always Solvang for a tourist trap... and I love Santa Barbara. THe mission there is gorgeous, and State St (downtown) has tons of shops and eats.

If you''re leaving Tues, Hearst Castle could take pretty much the entire day to drive down and have a tour... I think it''s about a 5-6 hr drive to HEarst Castle. Then Wed you could stop at SLO or some other places along the way, have dinner in SB and get into LA late Wed. It takes about 2-3 hr down 101 from SB to LA, depending on traffic and where you''re headed in LA.

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/31/2005 5:37:24 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Thanks for the reference, MZ. I should''ve clarified that I was actually looking for suggestions further south of the Carmel area, as that''s pretty close to where I''m starting out, and we''ve been to Monterey and Carmel several times already.
1.gif
Defintitly stop in Cambria, cute dutch village. Solvang as was mentioned. San Luis Obispo has a wonderful Farmers'' Market on Thursday nights from 5-8. They close down the main drag and have a bunch of BBQ pits outside and fresh veggies and they they have many cool little pub that you can go in afterwards.

Definitly Hearst Castle as was mentioned.
Malibu to see the beautiful coastline, and the J Paul Getty Museum.
Santa Monica is nice to see and the Frank Lloyd gallery.

Of course there are tons of things to do in LA. Hollywood, Bel Aire, etc etc.
If you like art or museums I''ve mentioned a few and they are well worth it. If your interested the LA museum has the King Tut show going on now until mid-November. I think it is only showing in four or five cities in the U.S. over the next four years or so. I still haven''t been but I am going next weekend.

Hope some of that sparks some ideas.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
In a hurry now, but do you know about the Coaster? The train? Too cool. Gets closer to the coast in some places than you can. Do look into.

We have never made it beyond Orange county...

Wish I could be more help.

DKS

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Santa Barbara (Bacara Resort if you want to stay in a beautiful, expensive, cliffside place and visit the spa!!), San Luis Obispo (some great cute jewelry stores and restaurants in downtown, also the Mission) and Cambria as others have mentioned!! My parents considered buying property in Cambria for their retirement home which would have been a fun trip for us to make often!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
in the pricescope thread i posted above, there are references to Post Ranch. i was told friday night that this place has an incredible wine list........

peace, movie zombie

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
oh yes... I second jr22 on the getty mueseum!! It''s in LA, so if you have time Th morning or something, definitely worth it!! (esp cuz it''s free!)
9.gif

I went to the king tut exhibit at LACMA a few weeks ago when I went down to visit my parents, I have to admit I was disappointed. Yes, there was a LOT of stuff, but I was expecting to see some of the original funeral masks or coffins, and they didn''t bring any over bc of how delicate they were, according to the exhibit. For some reason it felt so anticlimatic, they build up the whole exhibit really well leading up to Tut''s tomb, and lots of stuff from his tomb, but then they only have a few accessories from stuff acutally originally on the body - a diadem, dagger, necklace, etc... and the end of the exhibit just had a video on how they think he died. I was sad. But I think if you have the right expectations, it is a good exhibit.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, yes, go to Solvang, ignore your girdle size and go to a pastry shop . . . that''s what they''re good for in Solvang. Hearst Castle, you can get one of their smaller tours, and if you can get tix to the Tut exhibit in LA, it is worth it as long as you aren''t expecting to see the big funerary mask. There are many beautiful and exquisite artifacts to see (but we are also interested in ancient egypt in this household). I could hardly tear my 10 yo daughter away. Also right by the museum are the la brea tarpits with prehistoric artifacts. At San Juan Capistrano the mission is beautiful. If you make it down to San Diego go to Old Town (the tortillas are yummy) and for shopping, Horton Plaza.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/31/2005 10:49:24 PM
Author: portoar
Oh, yes, go to Solvang, ignore your girdle size and go to a pastry shop . . . that''s what they''re good for in Solvang.

If you like to go wine tasting, there are also some WONDERFUL wineries in this area too!!!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooooooooooooooh, getting very excited! Thanks for all the suggestions thus far!

I definitely want to go try some aebelskiver pancakes in Solvang - I hear they''re amazing. I''ve also booked a hotel (actually two, I have to cancel one) in the San Luis Obispo / Pismo Beach area (both have fireplaces and jacuzzi tubs, but the one in PB has an ocean view....). The latest tour of the Hearst Castle on Tuesday is at 3:30 pm and I dunno if we''ll get there by then but maybe we can look around anyway? I have to figure that out and see if the timing will work. Definitely want to hit Cambria as well. I gotta look up the Getty Museum. Maybe if they''re open on Sunday (day after wedding) I can go then. Hmmm... and for sure will spend some time in Santa Barbara. I keep hearing amazing things.

Interesting about the egyptian exhibition...I will try to check that out. I''ve been interested in King Tut and all that since I had to do a report on him in grade school!!!

AChiO - that''s my favorite bunny butt kitty picture in your avatar.
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
FG let me know where you end up staying in the Pismo area .... we have been down to SLO a few times but I feel like that area is really lacking in resort hotels. We did a bit of research on staying in Pismo, and I found one or two place that had the whole jacuzzi tub and view thing going on, but the online room pictures just were not doing it for me especially at the prices that they were charging. So I was hesitant (having been burned before with online booking, I am now a religious nut about searching down hotel pictures and room pictures and positive reviews etc). Then I talked to my girlfriend who had visited a year or so ago and she was pretty disappointed with the quality of the places they stayed at too. So we nixed it and went to Mendocino instead (we''re local so we were just trying to get away for a weekend!!)...anyway I''d love to hear where you stay and what you think because if it''s nice in person, then I really do want to go check it out on our next trip!!!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not in California.... But I suggest that you either start or end your trip in Roseburg Oregon. Home of NiceIce.

Call ahead for an appointment as Todd is principally working by appointment only.

Contact Todd through: www.niceice.com

Perry

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2005 8:19:10 PM
Author: movie zombie
in the pricescope thread i posted above, there are references to Post Ranch. i was told friday night that this place has an incredible wine list........

peace, movie zombie
Yes, yes, yes--POST RANCH INN!!! By far, one of the most fabulous places I have ever been to in my life. It''s very expensive but well worth every penny. The grounds are gorgeous and they have an amazing restaurant with wonderful wines. Big Sur is absolutely breathtaking, like a little slice of heaven on earth.

Santa Barbara is beautiful too and you can do wine tasting there. They have a great Four Seasons and I''ve heard Bacara is lovely too. Solvang is very cute and kitschy--a fun place to stop by. And as AChiO mentioned, good wine tasting. I think the movie Sideways took place around this area.

Let us know what you decide to do!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Central California is my specialty.

I like the out of the way places off the beaten track.

In Big Sur stop at the Ventana Inn for lunch.

The best restaurant view in the world.

You can stay a night or two, very expensive but worth it.

Hearst Castle of course.

Also check out the tiny (we’re talking 4 or 5 buildings) town on the peninsula that juts out into the sea in front of the castle. They have a great old general store with real whaling harpoons that were used 150 years ago right there.

On the peninsula is a double row of ancient Monterey Cypress trees you can walk between. (A magical and deserted place.)

You may have to go under a barbed wire fence to get to this.

Don’t worry I used to do it all the time.

Cambria is a lovely little historic town just south of Hearst Castle.

Oddly it is full of pine trees unlike anywhere else for miles.

Go into the city proper and have lunch at Robins.

Go to the Art Glass gallery across the street.

Stop at the tiny town of Harmony, population 19, I think.

There are two drives you must take, highway 41 and Highway 46 from the coast to I5.

Look on a map. Both are very scenic.

San Luis Obispo is sublime.

Find Bubble Gum Alley off Higuera near Broad St.

Go to the restaurant on Broad St near Higuera that overlooks the creek, I forgot the name.

Sit on the tiny patio outside.

There is a beautiful hike behind Cal State University in a canyon of Sycamore and Bay trees. Steal the leaves and dry them for cooking.

From San luis Obispo take 227 to Corbett Canyon Drive into Arroyo Grande.

Then drive into Nippomo which has the largesse grove of Eucalyptus trees outside Austrailia.

They were brought in 150 years ago for railroad ties.

When they found out the wood doesn’t work well the abandoned the trees.

Today it is beautiful.

See the dunes at Nippomo, An important movie was filmed there in the 1930s by Cecil B deMill. The set is buried under the ever-moving dunes.

Drive inland from Santa Maria towards Los Olivos, a charming old town, then on to Solvang a Dutch villiage.

Then up the San Marcos pass to Santa Barbara.

At the top of the Nojoqui pass is a beautiful waterfall called Nojoqui.

It is a hike but well worth it.

In Santa Barbara exit Milpas St.

Take it inland (North) a mile or so to get to a little hole in the wall Mexican Restaurant on the right with a weird roof called La Superica.

Home made tortillas while you wait and great Carnitas and Carne Asada.

Sit on picnic tables.

Julia Child used to frequent this little place, she had a home in Santa Barbara.

This is NOT a fancy place but the best tacos you will EVER have.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Near Santa Barbara drive up in the hills of Montecito and drool over the 10 million dollar houses.

Take hiway 150 up to see Ojai, a lovely old haunt filled with antique stores and a huge outdoor! bookstore.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author:FireGoddess
Any specific hotels that were romantic or memorable (ie. jacuzzi in room, etc)??
The San Ysidro Ranch in Montecito...near Santa Barbara.

It''s old, charming, rustic, historical, but probably terribly expensive.
39.gif

According to The Travel Channel, it''s one of the top ten most romantic destinations in the world!
30.gif

Sir Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh were married there, and JFK and Jacquie honeymooned there.

www.sanysidroranch.com

widget

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
All of this discussion and great suggestions are making me want to drive down the coast too!
5.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks SO much for the ideas everyone! I will try to do as many of them as I possibly can! Some of the hotels you guys suggested are AMAZING but I''m still on a wine budget even though I have champagne and caviar tastes.
2.gif
Will file those away for future reference because I MUST try them at some point!

Mara, I''m glad you made that point about the hotels in the area...I did a google search for customer reviews and found that one hotel I booked (the one I was leaning towards, with an ocean view) had a HORRIBLE recent review by a guest...and the other one in SLO was raved about over and over. That made my decision easy.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked the Apple Farm Hotel in San Luis Obisop.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
FireGoddess,

Stop and stretch your legs at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park - it''s waterfall is the one you always see in pictures of the California Coast....

small_Julia_Pfeiffer_Burns_Waterfall.jpg

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
my two cents:
Santa Barbara- Oh Yes! La superica. Best Mexican food in the area! Also visit the Santa Barbara Winery tasting room near state street. Last, but not least is the beautiful Mission and rose garden

Santa Ynez Valley- prime wine country! My favorite wineries there are LaFond, Sanford, Sunstone, Andrew Murray (tasing room in Los Olivos). We were there for my bday weekend in August and also did dinner at the Hitching Post in Buellton. The Santa Ynez Marriott is just down the road, and was a great central place to stay.

In the L.A area- Stop at either Gladstone''s or Duke''s on PCH in Malibu for a drink or meal. great views!

Lastly, if you''re looking for hotel reviews, check out http://www.tripadvisor.com/ I did a TON of reserach looking for hotels for my european vacation I just got back from. The info was invaluable!

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
All these hotels look amazing, but does anyone know of any that are more reasonably priced closer to LA, but still a step or two above Holiday Inn?

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday''s Fine Living newsletter had details on 5 beautiful drives. One of them is California Highway 1. It gives drive details, pit stops and other tips. Here is the link:

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/pac_ctnt_nobanner/text/0,,FINE_10778_37058,00.html

Hope this helps.

Blu

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chargergrrrl, in a strange twist of fate (and my digging around endlessly online), the tripadvisor website is the one where I found the reviews of the hotels I was considering! It definitely persuaded me to seal the deal with one and cancel the other. I highly recommend the site as well. You can even see customer pictures of the hotels if any guests uploaded them.

Teagreen, I haven't stayed in any hotels near the area you're looking and I hesitate to recommend the one I've booked, since I haven't seen it yet. But I do recommend you also look at the tripadvisor website and plug in the names of some towns you're considering. They list the hotels in ranked order (ranking from reviews they've received) and they're all pretty reasonable.

Websailor - those pictures are awesome. I keep hearing about that waterfall...I think we definitely have to stop there.

Blu, THANKS! I am going to look at that article and print it out!!!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
You should absolutely go to Solvang! Thos abelskiver pancakes are mouth-watering! There is also an Ostrich farm around there. Santa Barbara has the old missions which are so spooky to drive by at night.And if you''re going to San Jose, go to the Winchester Mansion, I LOVE it there. In Long Beach, touristy of course, the Queen Mary. If you''re into ghosty things, you can''t go wrong taking a tour. I live in LA, so if you need ideas on where to stay, or eat or anything like that, feel free to send me a message. Santa Monica Pier is classic, if a little crowded. Malibu is beautiful, with Gladstone''s seafood restaurant right on the beach. The palisades are breathtaking for a bike ride, or a hike. LA Zoo is cute, and I totally agree on the Getty. It''s just gorgeous there. You should definitely head to the Original Farmers Market on 3rd and Fairfax in LA, favorite hangout for everyone. It''s also had an add on of a mall and theater, with tons of places to shop and eat. It is my favorite place in the world to hang out and people watch. Even at 26, I still go every weekend with my dad! Let me know if you need any info on anything.

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
-If you are breaking the trip up, stay overnight at the Storybook Inn in Solvang. The "Swans Nest" has a jacuzzi tub, fireplace and private balcony. They serve wine & cheese after 5 and you may get the ableskivers for breakfast. If you are just going for the day, make sure to stop at the Olive House for a wine tasting w/ olive pairing (yum yum). Besides wine, Solvang also has a cute open-air theatre that has inexpensive shows.
-Since you are taking the coast keep in mind that there is a nice outlet shopping center in Oxnard
31.gif
-Venice Beach is always interesting and FREE!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
How did I forget Venice Beach!!! I had my palm read there last week!! My bf works right there, and I completely forgot!
33.gif

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Visit Carmel and linger as you drive thru Big Sur some of the MOST breaktaking seascapes you''ll ever see...and I''m from Hawaii and lived briefly in Mallorca on the coast...so trust me. There is a cool restaurant in Nepenthe (sp?) with UNBELIEVABLE vistas and a fabulous jewelry store at the same location think and of course the name is eluding me at the moment. OK googled it it''s called the Phoenix shop http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/phoenix/jewelry.htm the restaurant is a short hike up the cliff (there are stairs ;^)

Solvang and Los Olivos are quite pretty they are about 40-60 miles north/east of Santa Barbara...if you guys like wine tasting (think the movie Sideways it was filmed there) there are some GREAT wineries look for the Cachuma lake (HWY 154) exit (if you blink you''ll miss it literally). Hwy 154 is also an amazing mountain pass detour to Santa Barbara thru the wine country. If you have time the Foxen Canyon (featured in Sideways) and Andrew Murray wineries rock. My sweetie grew up in the Santa Ynez valley and his folks still have a ranch in the area. Have fun we visit once a month it''s a total blast!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results