shape
carat
color
clarity

Donating hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths

Should I cut my hair and donate it to Pantene Beautiful Lengths?

• Yes, do it for charity

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • No, you'll regret it - donate $ instead

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I'm very strongly considering cutting my hair and donating it to Pantene Beautiful Lengths. I've had basically the same long style for the past few years and I haven't cut it much at all in the past 6 months since I wanted long hair for wedding up-dos. Well, I got married a week ago, and now I'm ready for a change.

I chose Pantene Beautiful Lengths over Locks of Love because the length requirement is only 8" (versus 10"), and I've read some bad things about Locks of Love regarding their business practices.

If I do donate, my hair will be the shortest it's ever been in 15 years (and will fall at my collarbone). It will be drastic for me.

Has anyone donated hair before to any charity? Did you regret it or were you glad to do it?

(Please excuse the fluffiness and vanity of this thread.)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't vote. Everything I've read leads me to believe that wigsforkids.org is probably the least scammy of all the hair donation sites. However, they require 12" of hair.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 21 year old son got his long hair cut recently and saved the hair so he could donate it - I will be watching this thread and am curious to hear other opinions - he just wanted to help, but maybe it's not the right thing to do? I'll have to tell him to look into the organization monarch mentioned, his hair is 12 inches long.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I don't know much about it but it sounds like a really nice idea. And you could get a cute cropped bob.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1389161187|3588730 said:
My 21 year old son got his long hair cut recently and saved the hair so he could donate it - I will be watching this thread and am curious to hear other opinions - he just wanted to help, but maybe it's not the right thing to do? I'll have to tell him to look into the organization monarch mentioned, his hair is 12 inches long.

I didn't have time to elaborate earlier, sorry. My husband donated 11 times to Locks of Love (the last time was about 4 years ago?) and I was really impressed by that when he told me about it. I did a really quick (like 10 minute) search-and-read when I saw Sortmon's post, and was dismayed to find all the bad press on LoL. I couldn't tell if Pantene's is better or not, but it seems to me that Pantene is a pretty big company and could maybe donate money or do something that doesn't use their name for marketing instead. American Cancer Society's (I've read not so great things about them, too) page recommended the WigsForKids organization, and upon a *little* further reading it seems legit. But who knows???

Junebug, I will also be watching because I am curious about this topic as well. My husband is pretty conscientious of brands and non-profits, but he is super swamped right now so I'll probably have to wait to pick his brain about this. Aside from whether these organizations are legit or not, I think it's always a wonderful thing when humans try to do something good for one another.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1389164011|3588739 said:

I didn't have time to elaborate earlier, sorry. My husband donated 11 times to Locks of Love (the last time was about 4 years ago?) and I was really impressed by that when he told me about it. I did a really quick (like 10 minute) search-and-read when I saw Sortmon's post, and was dismayed to find all the bad press on LoL. I couldn't tell if Pantene's is better or not, but it seems to me that Pantene is a pretty big company and could maybe donate money or do something that doesn't use their name for marketing instead. American Cancer Society's (I've read not so great things about them, too) page recommended the WigsForKids organization, and upon a *little* further reading it seems legit. But who knows???

Junebug, I will also be watching because I am curious about this topic as well. My husband is pretty conscientious of brands and non-profits, but he is super swamped right now so I'll probably have to wait to pick his brain about this. Aside from whether these organizations are legit or not, I think it's always a wonderful thing when humans try to do something good for one another.
Pantene donates wigs to women with cancer whereas Locks of Love and Wigs for Kids are primarily children-focused. A large portion of LoL wigs are actually for children with alopecia though cancer seems to be the model child for them. I support Pantene because (I think) the corporation donates the money to create the wigs from the donated hair. LoL and Wigs for Kids have to bear the costs of creating wigs, and they fund the creation costs through the selling of unwanted hair (grey, processed, too short) and monetary donations. LoL also charges on a sliding scale for their wigs, whereas Pantene and Wigs for Kids give the wigs away for free.

If I'm going to sacrifice my a large part of my looks, I'd like to donate to the organization that has the best chances of actually using my hair so my donation won't be in vain, if you know what I mean. I read LoL throws away about 80% of their donations, not sure my hair will make the cut (pun intended).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sortmon|1389164378|3588740 said:
monarch64|1389164011|3588739 said:

Pantene donates wigs to women with cancer whereas Locks of Love and Wigs for Kids are primarily children-focused. A large portion of LoL wigs are actually for children with alopecia though cancer seems to be the model child for them. I support Pantene because (I think) the corporation donates the money to create the wigs from the donated hair. LoL and Wigs for Kids have to bear the costs of creating wigs, and they fund the creation costs through the selling of unwanted hair (grey, processed, too short) and monetary donations.
Ah, thank you. Well, no matter what, I don't think you can make a wrong decision here with regards to donating. Although take my words with a grain of salt because my brain is gravy after being sick myself and up with a sick kid all night...
I commend you for wanting to make a drastic change in your appearance (I know this is not an easy decision--I've had very long hair for YEARS) and for even thinking about it making a difference in someone else's life. It really is a tough call. I hope I haven't made it harder! If you really support Pantene, then I think you should go for it.

The chances you'll hate your new hair are pretty slim. If it were me, I'd make a plan to buy myself a pair of sparkly new earrings whether I loved it or hated it, as a consolatory or congratulatory prize. ;))

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I've donated my hair twice, once to LoL in college, and once (like you're considering) to Pantene after my wedding. I absolutely and whole-heartedly say DO IT!

I actually knew I would love my hair short the 2nd time around since I'd already done it, and hacked off somewhere between 8 and 10 inches in the few days off between my wedding and honeymoon. I haven't grown it long since and I probably never will again. (Although never is, admittedly, a long time!) But I was definitely hesitant the first time I cut it after I finished grad school. What eased my mind was finding a celebrity with similar facial structure (I'm a pretty strong match to Mandy Moore in shape...not necessarily in features!) and just searching through all of their hairstyles. Have they had it long? short? medium? All of the above? What cuts looked best/worst? And then talk to your stylist before the actual cut process...they'll band your hair just below the mark where they need to cut it and you can make sure you're comfortable before the big snip(s)! And just remember...it always grows back!

Just for kicks...some before and after pics of my 2nd big chop:

Before, at my wedding:
Wedding%2047.jpg

After, at our post-wedding/TTD shoot:
Shumate112.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I voted Yes. As a cancer survivor, I really appreciate people like you making wigs possible for patients who might not otherwise be able to get one.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
I did this, about 4 months ago. My hairstylist cut it into a ponytail, put it in a bag for me and then we looked up the mailing instructions on the Pantene website. I sent it off, and I got an acknowledgment about 2 months later from Pantene, thanking me for it. Make sure your hair is virgin (undyed), freshly shampooed and held in a ponytail when you send it. Do it. What's the worst that will happen? You'll feel you don't look as nice with shorter hair... but hair is hair. It grows :bigsmile:

Here's a photo my hairstylist took :))

bpe69skcaaelqry.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! I am always for giving to charities in any way you can and that's an amazing way to make a difference in someone's life. It also looks like you did your due diligence with choosing which charity so that's good. And remember, if you don't love your new short do your hair will grow and in the meantime you would have done an amazing thing! :appl:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the advice, vc10um and rubyshoes!

I've made an appointment to get shorn 2 weeks from now. Hope I don't chicken out before then.

Andelain, hopefully my donation can help cancer patients or survivors, like yourself.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so I guess I'm really slow on the uptake, I'll write it off to being really tired last night, but I missed the point of this thread! :oops: I thought you had already decided to cut your hair sortmon, so was kind of confused by the regretting part - but you're asking if you should cut your hair solely for the purpose of donating it? I think it's totally up to you, I wouldn't feel guilty for not doing it, as you said you could just make a donation - but if you are strongly leaning towards a change then it seems like a really nice thing to do. And it will grow back. My son's case was a bit different - he definitely wanted to cut his hair and he figured why not do something with it (and he has beautiful hair!)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say go for it! It's very nice of you to do. :)

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I've cut my hair for donation 3 times (or maybe 4). The salon took care of it each time and donated to Locks of Love...I don't have any strong opinions about who it goes to.
I hate having short hair, but every couple of years I get so fed up with long hair I just want to chop it all off. So I do...and then struggle with having short hair until it grows out.
You may regret it...but it will grow back. ;))
I don't know how helpful any of this is, but it's my experience.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I donated to Pantene for the same reasons you mention about LoL, crappy stories abound. I told the hairdresser that I needed at least 8" - she said, rather snarkily, "I don't even know WHAT that means!" Just because metric is in common use here, Australians absolutely DO know what an inch is! When she cut it and I measured it at home it was THIRTEEN inches. I've always had long hair and I hated it short. It was still shoulder length, but the front-most bits kept falling out when I tried to tie it back. When you work around biologically dangerous material, that's not ok. I had to stock up on bobby pins and I've not done it again since. I never regretted it...but I haven't done it again either (yet!).

SMC

Ideal_Rock
justginger said:
I donated to Pantene for the same reasons you mention about LoL, crappy stories abound. I told the hairdresser that I needed at least 8" - she said, rather snarkily, "I don't even know WHAT that means!" Just because metric is in common use here, Australians absolutely DO know what an inch is! When she cut it and I measured it at home it was THIRTEEN inches. I've always had long hair and I hated it short. It was still shoulder length, but the front-most bits kept falling out when I tried to tie it back. When you work around biologically dangerous material, that's not ok. I had to stock up on bobby pins and I've not done it again since. I never regretted it...but I haven't done it again either (yet!).
What a mean stylist! I'm going to measure out exactly how much 8" is and bring a ruler with me too. I want to keep my "sacrifice" to a minimum since I'm still somewhat vain.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC|1390788710|3601798 said:
I did it! 10 inches.
photo__26_.jpg

Wow, SMC you are my hero!!! Way to go girl! :appl:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Wow, beautiful hair!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful hair!

Thanks for sharing the info about Pantene! I hadn't heard of them before.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Yes! I did it last year and would do it again- in fact, I probably will. I go through phases where I grow my hair long and one day get the itch to chop it off, so I was able to donate ~8 inches. It was certainly worth it.

ETA: I didn't see your update! Good for you! :appl:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! My (male) coworkers did not notice. When I pointed out the bag of hair on my desk, they were like "wow, is that 10 inches? I thought you had only cut 2-3 inches."

I guess I'm glad that my hair doesn't make a huge impact to my looks. (How vain, I know.). Overall, I like my haircut and am glad I did it. My DH calls me "short hair lady" now but he thinks the haircut is cute too.

I'd do it again too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results