shape
carat
color
clarity

Dogs being poisoned in Sochi

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's just one more reason that I have ZERO intention to watch even a moment of the Olympics.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
And I'm boycotting them because they've captured 7 wild orcas (killer whales) in the past few months for display in traveling circuses. The original plan was to send two of them to Sochi to capitalize on the Olympics but due to logistics, the report is that the whales didn't make it to Sochi and those two are in Moscow instead with plans to smuggle them in to China.

So... that makes three reasons I don't support these Olympics lol!

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
I can't begin to tell you of the issues that Russia has with animals...
About 4-5 years ago a group of people who call themselves "doghunters" became very active - they would place poisoned treats in areas where people normally walk their dogs, and two dogs I personally knew (including a gorgeous show German Shepherd belonging to my close friend) died of ingesting the poison. It's incredibly fast acting, and the only effective antidote is currently unavailable in Russia due to some strange legal restrictions.

Now, admittedly feral dogs are a big issue there too, even in big cities like Moscow. These "doghunters" use that as a way to justify their actions, and I can tell you from firsthand experience that when you find yourself in a dark alley surrounded by a pack of 25-30 feral dogs it gets really, really scary.
But poison is NOT a way to solve this problem, it is a barbaric and sadistic knee-jerk reaction that says a lot about the state of society and general lack of psychological well-being.

I moved to the US with my Corgi 2.5 years ago, and it took me about 6 months to stop being constantly tense and nervous on our walks. Our Moscow walks were a current lookout for feral strays, possible poison, crazy anti-dog people who will start yelling at you just for the heck of it, and of course off leash aggressive dogs whose owners enjoy watching them attack anything that moves.

The US culture is so much more accepting of dogs, and the general attitude towards them is very positive - such a dramatic difference, and one I am thankful for every single day.
anvi.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the Olympic Games. Why is Russia ruining them?

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So wrong :nono:

I'll pass this on to others. Animals should NOT be treated this way.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure Russia is not intentionally ruining the Olympic Games.
We just apply our western standards to them.
I can understand the argument that doing so is not fair.

There's an article on CNN about complaints from their journalists now in Sochi.
One pic is of a sign telling hotel guests to place used toilet paper in trash can instead of the toilet.
I think one comment is that this is customary in many locations.
So some of this should regrettably fall under, When in Rome do as the Romans do.

But poisoning dogs? I have no problem outright criticizing that.

Read about other Sochi complaints:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947828-wealth-of-issues-face-2014-sochi-winter-olympic-athletes-fans-and-journalists?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2

don_t_flush.jpg

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Disgusting. Am watching a documentary on incredible derogatory behaviour towards homosexuals by vigilante groups in Russia. Utterly nauseated by it all. They're truly scum!! I won't be watching the Olympics either.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think there are many Americans who are just as homophobic, but now it has not become PC to act that way. I don't excuse homophobic actions, I am just pointing out that we are not much better upon close inspection. It was not long ago that it was okay to openly discriminate against someone who was not straight, Christian, and of European heritage in the US.

I think it's better to watch the Games and learn about the positive aspects of Russian culture, which I am sure there are many. The more different a culture is from the US, the more Americans will find things that they believe are abhorrent. If an area does not even have freely flowing clean water, I can only imagine that day to day living is very difficult, and that some of these things we are complaining about are luxuries to think about.

If we interact more with other cultures with an open mind, it is more likely to come to a common understanding of why our cultures act the way they do, and what can be improved on both sides.

Just a different point of view. Please don't hate me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Poisoning dogs, capturing whales and the violence toward homosexuals is just too much.

My DH will probably still watch the games. He doesn't believe in punishing our athletes for the crimes of the country that the is hosting. And I can understand that.

But I am ready to boycott.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1391644160|3608745 said:
I think there are many Americans who are just as homophobic, but now it has not become PC to act that way. I don't excuse homophobic actions, I am just pointing out that we are not much better upon close inspection. It was not long ago that it was okay to have someone was straight, Christian, and of European heritage sit at the back of the bus, not be allowed to even be in a town after a certain curfew, or hold specific jobs in the US.

I think it's better to watch the Games and learn about the positive aspects of Russian culture, which I am sure there are many. The more different a culture is from the US, the more Americans will find things that they believe are abhorrent. If an area does not even have freely flowing clean water, I can only imagine that day to day living is very difficult, and that some of these things we are complaining about are luxuries to think about.

If we interact more with other cultures with an open mind, it is more likely to come to a common understanding of why our cultures act the way they do, and what can be improved on both sides.

Just a different point of view. Please don't hate me.

I'll point out that I don't support Americans that are homophobic or cruel to animals either. It has nothing to do with me being xenophobic. If you're bad, you're bad no matter where you're from and I will not support you or socialize with you if your moral principals don't jive with mine.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1391644590|3608760 said:
I'll point out that I don't support Americans that are homophobic or cruel to animals either. It has nothing to do with me being xenophobic. If you're bad, you're bad no matter where you're from and I will not support you or socialize with you if your moral principals don't jive with mine.

This goes for me too.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to hear of any animal cruelty anywhere. :(sad But especially of whales, sharks, and other such magnificent creatures. Words cannot explain. I wish all human beings were able to feel compassion. :blackeye:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1391644917|3608768 said:
sonnyjane|1391644590|3608760 said:

This goes for me too.

Ditto. I enjoy traveling and experiencing new cultures -- but cruelty is cruelty, and I do what I can to prevent/treat it wherever I go. I was planning on boycotting based on the issues of sexual orientation, so this new revelation doesn't change anything for me. I will share the info with family and friends, so perhaps it will change their intent to watch the games.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1391649651|3608835 said:
cruelty is cruelty

Yes, I understand that upbringing and culture has an effect on how you view things...but there's a line of behavior that when crossed is wrong as a HUMAN BEING.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny|1391643426|3608731 said:
I'm sure Russia is not intentionally ruining the Olympic Games.
We just apply our western standards to them.
I can understand the argument that doing so is not fair.

There's an article on CNN about complaints from their journalists now in Sochi.
One pic is of a sign telling hotel guests to place used toilet paper in trash can instead of the toilet.
I think one comment is that this is customary in many locations.
So some of this should regrettably fall under, When in Rome do as the Romans do.

But poisoning dogs? I have no problem outright criticizing that.

Read about other Sochi complaints:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947828-wealth-of-issues-face-2014-sochi-winter-olympic-athletes-fans-and-journalists?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2

Not being able to put paper down a toilet really is not odd at all - infrastructure is lacking in many places.

With that said, however, I'm beside myself hearing about the way the feral pups are treated and the orcas - just total and complete shock. Every once in while, there's a scare where I live about pups getting poisoned from rat poison in alley's, for a while there was a crazy that supposedly was putting poison in pup pill pockets, but everyone here can literally walk to a vet to get help, and here the blips are carelessness and a crazy - not a concerted effort. I hope they turn to a spay and neuter campaign instead - more of a long term solution, but it's a start and sure better than the alternative.

Recordaras, I am glad that you and your pup were able to move and find your walks more enjoyable now.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, nice to hear that you and your dog find the US welcoming. :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: not putting soiled toilette papers down the toilets, that's common in Athens, Greece, as the drains are old and not very wide, and cannot cope with too much solids.

I believe this is not uncommon in other older cities.

DK :))

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much, endless_summer and Sky56!

I've actually given it a lot of thought, and I think it comes down to "eastern" vs "western" mentality and culture. If you look at Russian Orthodoxy - if a cat walks into a Russian Orthodox church all is well, but if a dog enters the whole church has to be sprayed with holy water in order to be made "clean" and sacred again. Same thing with having a dog in the house - to this day many people believe that when you bring in a dog you ward off the holy spirit. Traditionally dogs were always kept outside on a chain and not allowed to enter the living quarters. And to this day many people think of the western way of treating pets as members of the family as an unhealthy aberration, one of the excesses of the western lifestyle.

At the same time there are obviously a lot of "western" minded people who adore their pets. People who organize makeshift shelters with no support from the authorities, who spend their time and money treating and rehoming these animals even though they are deemed crazy by the other half. Since there is no ASPCA-type organization, they communicate via several forums (that regularly become victims of DDoS attacks) and all the good that is done stems from pure self organization and trust.
Hopefully as time passes their numbers will increase.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
While I do not agree with the location of the winter olympics, I will not be boycotting it. I always watch them and this year will be no different. What is the point of boycotting? The athletes that have trained so hard still deserve support and recognition for their efforts. It's not their fault that the location was chosen poorly. I do not believe that boycotting will serve any purpose.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1391644298|3608750 said:
Poisoning dogs, capturing whales and the violence toward homosexuals is just too much.

My DH will probably still watch the games. He doesn't believe in punishing our athletes for the crimes of the country that the is hosting. And I can understand that.

I agree with your DH. I will watch and support my countries athletes. Not watching the Olympics will not change what happens in Russia. It may prevent the IOC from choosing them as a host country in the future, but those people and animals will continue to suffer.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure I read about China did something similar to their stray animals in preparation for 2008's game, however, I could be wrong.

DK :???:

D

Deactivated member 42515

I will not be watching. There is no excuse for animal cruelty. This makes me angry to my very core. I can't even express in words how I feel about this.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN0NYM0US|1391755422|3609851 said:
Gypsy|1391644298|3608750 said:

I agree with your DH. I will watch and support my countries athletes. Not watching the Olympics will not change what happens in Russia. It may prevent the IOC from choosing them as a host country in the future, but those people and animals will continue to suffer.

As I said above, if anyone is serious about wanting to stop the abuse of dogs, the pressure has to be put on the Olympics. Every country to host the Olympics has rounded up stray dogs beforehand. Getting the Olympics to fund a program to care for the dogs' health and to find homes for them when the people in some of the host countries do not live well, may not fly so easily. I can only suggest that the thrust of the political push by dog lovers (like me) should be: if you cannot afford to host the Olympic Games without cruelty, we don't want you as the host country. We will give you plenty of money to fund the Olympics, but some of it has to go on a humane way to treat the animals currently living where the Games will take place.

AGBF

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
From what I've read so far, Sochi is teaming with stray and/or sick dogs, stray cats, etc. There have also been numerous complaints of lack of hotel rooms and/or completed/furnished hotel rooms, lack of functioning plumbing, no water and/or dirty water, and the list goes on and on. There's an interesting article (complete with pictures) on some of the awful things that the press have been dealing with since they've been in Sochi. If Sochi truly has been exterminating dogs in an effort to make the Olympic experience more pleasant, then it's sad, but again, I really don't see how a handful of people not watching the Olympics on tv is going to make any difference at all??? All that does is punish the athletes in my opinion. I would think that If someone really wanted to make a difference, they'd be doing more than simply boycotting the Olympics on tv. For example:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/972/019/713/2000-street-dogs-and-cats-will-be-killed-for-the-olympic-games-in-sochi-in-2014/?z00m=20723613
I'm sure that there are lots of other ways to help too, like donating money to animal organizations in Russia, etc. From what I understand, there's a Russian billionaire who's donated resources towards the cause (of saving strays).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results