shape
carat
color
clarity

Dogs being poisoned in Sochi

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By now most members know that I am an advocate for animal rights and maintain a vegetarian lifestyle. That said, I will not be watching the Olympics (never do) not because I'm boycotting the games because of this dog poisoning issue, but because we don't subscribe to a television service. We get 4 channels of public broadcasting and one channel isn't in English. We used to pay over $100/month to watch...what? Advertising, and crappy television, and crappier news reporting? Sports--please. It's all advertising, and why should we spend money to be told how to spend our money?

As far as Russia and its problems: I believe nothing of what I hear and only half of what I see. How many years now have we Americans been taught to hate Russia? This stuff is not new. Of course some of it is true and it's a horrible problem.
But if you think for a minute that everything you read, see, or hear about other countries from American newscasts or reporters is true and not at least partly propaganda, I'd say you're mistaken.

Pretty sure a drone is coming to get me now, better go hide. ;))

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
AGBF|1391801839|3610245 said:
AN0NYM0US|1391755422|3609851 said:
Gypsy|1391644298|3608750 said:
Poisoning dogs, capturing whales and the violence toward homosexuals is just too much.

My DH will probably still watch the games. He doesn't believe in punishing our athletes for the crimes of the country that the is hosting. And I can understand that.

But I am ready to boycott.

I agree with your DH. I will watch and support my countries athletes. Not watching the Olympics will not change what happens in Russia. It may prevent the IOC from choosing them as a host country in the future, but those people and animals will continue to suffer.

As I said above, if anyone is serious about wanting to stop the abuse of dogs, the pressure has to be put on the Olympics. Every country to host the Olympics has rounded up stray dogs beforehand. Getting the Olympics to fund a program to care for the dogs' health and to find homes for them when the people in some of the host countries do not live well, may not fly so easily. I can only suggest that the thrust of the political push by dog lovers (like me) should be: if you cannot afford to host the Olympic Games without cruelty, we don't want you as the host country. We will give you plenty of money to fund the Olympics, but some of it has to go on a humane way to treat the animals currently living where the Games will take place.

AGBF

It's not the IOC's duty to make cultural changes to the host cities. They chose a city to host it. The issues that are exposed by the publicity are not the Olympics problems to fix. This is a collection of sporting events, not a political party.

If viewership is down and ad revenue is lower due to boycotting, you can bet the IOC will only choose "safe" countries in the future. This will only keep social issues in the darkness and as I said, animals and people will continue to suffer.

There are ways you can try and help/make a change. By doing nothing (boycotting) you will only accomplish that.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watching or not watching TV … can this do anything or have any effect?
Interesting to ponder.

It has been argued that boycotting has no effect on the objectionable stuff in Russia but somehow it can magically harm the athletes. :roll:

Sorry but you can't have it both ways.

Actually if viewership is down the network gets less ad revenue.
The network analysts and IOC brass only have to read the headlines of the past few months to get why nelson ratings took a hit … and it's obviously not because people suddenly don't like to watch figure skating.

But even aside from poor ratings or even writing a letter to the network and the IOC, I have to live with myself.
Everything I let into my life says something about me, not just to others but to myself.
Following your conscience means sleeping better at night.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Kenny
I feel very much as you do. I have no desire to support such rash behavior as killing dogs, or removing wild orcas from their habitat for people's entertainment. No thanks.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN0NYM0US|1391815428|3610451 said:
Poisoning dogs, capturing whales and the violence toward homosexuals is just too much.

My DH will probably still watch the games. He doesn't believe in punishing our athletes for the crimes of the country that the is hosting. And I can understand that.

I agree with your DH. I will watch and support my countries athletes. Not watching the Olympics will not change what happens in Russia. It may prevent the IOC from choosing them as a host country in the future, but those people and animals will continue to suffer.

As I said above, if anyone is serious about wanting to stop the abuse of dogs, the pressure has to be put on the Olympics. Every country to host the Olympics has rounded up stray dogs beforehand. Getting the Olympics to fund a program to care for the dogs' health and to find homes for them when the people in some of the host countries do not live well, may not fly so easily. I can only suggest that the thrust of the political push by dog lovers (like me) should be: if you cannot afford to host the Olympic Games without cruelty, we don't want you as the host country. We will give you plenty of money to fund the Olympics, but some of it has to go on a humane way to treat the animals currently living where the Games will take place.

It's not the IOC's duty to make cultural changes to the host cities.

It's certainly not their duty now and will not be their duty unless someone forces them to make it their duty. People effect change with their actions. We can effect change. We are not without power. Nothing is set in stone. What if no one had ever questioned such previous "givens" as the Divine Right of Kings or that there could not be a separation of Church and State? I'm with kenny on this one.

AGBF

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
But had the Olympics not been help in Sochi, would any of you have even known about animal control (or more specifically, dogs being poisoned in Sochi)? Even the woman in the video at the beginning of this thread said that Russia has always exterminated strays (but that it seemed that it was being done in greater frequency for the Olympic games). Sochi was chosen, some issues came to light (like dogs being poisoned), and now the athletes and/or the Olympic games should suffer as a result? How is that helping? What about all of the dogs that have been exterminated over the years before the Olympics? I guess that I don't have any trouble sleeping at night if I choose to watch the Olympic games. Heck, I don't even know with 100% certainty if the clothes I'm wearing on my body right now was manufactured by child labor, or if the shampoo I washed my hair with in the shower was tested on animals…. I suppose most of us do the best we can when picking and choosing what causes to support or not support and I can respect that.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1391818432|3610488 said:
Interesting to ponder.

It has been argued that boycotting has no effect on the objectionable stuff in Russia but somehow it can magically harm the athletes. :roll:

The network analysts and IOC brass only have to read the headlines of the past few months to get why nelson ratings took a hit … and it's obviously not because people suddenly don't like to watch figure skating.

But even aside from poor ratings or even writing a letter to the network and the IOC, I have to live with myself.
Everything I let into my life says something about me, not just to others but to myself.

Do you think the IOC brass will then say "Geez, viewership and ad revenue is down, we better save those dogs." Or do you think they will just pick "safe" or "nice" counties from now on, leaving these issues in the dark?

I'm not saying that something shouldn't be done, but I don't feel that boycotting is the answer here.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
AGBF|1391877856|3610810 said:
AN0NYM0US|1391815428|3610451 said:

It's not the IOC's duty to make cultural changes to the host cities.

It's certainly not their duty now and will not be their duty unless someone forces them to make it their duty. People effect change with their actions. We can effect change. We are not without power. Nothing is set in stone. What if no one had ever questioned such previous "givens" as the Divine Right of Kings or that there could not be a separation of Church and State? I'm with kenny on this one.

AGBF

I don't see a correlation between the two. The Olympics are a gathering of Athletes playing sports.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
AN0NYM0US|1391880917|3610836 said:
Interesting to ponder.

Do you think the IOC brass will then say "Geez, viewership and ad revenue is down, we better save those dogs." Or do you think they will just pick "safe" or "nice" counties from now on, leaving these issues in the dark?

I'm not saying that something shouldn't be done, but I don't feel that boycotting is the answer here.

Yes, I think, if anything, the good that could come out of any sort of "boycott" would be that maybe greater consideration would be given when choosing host cities. Obviously, the Olympics have already started, so many dogs have already been exterminated during preparation for the Olympics. Boycotting now does nothing - expect perhaps send a message that that Sochi was not not an appropriate host city for any number reasons (most of which will all come down to a financial decision and/or profit - not dogs).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMO, the IOC will pick 'nicer' countries when they see naughty ones are less profitable.

Rejected naughty countries can listen to criticism and change or get rejected again next time they compete to host the Olympics.

Follow the money, and all.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1391892575|3610929 said:
Interesting to ponder.

IMO, they will pick 'nice' countries because naughty ones are less profitable.
Rejected naughty countries can change or get rejected again next time they compete.

Follow the money.

Exactly. The rejection of 'bad' host countries based on social issues is exactly what I want to see. That sends a message that if you have a hope in hell of hosting, you'd better act within the standards of the developed, 21st century world. It's simple financial motivation, and I hope that's what occurs as a result. There are countless people in my life who are boycotting, despite loving the Olympics themselves. I hope the message is transmitted clearly to the IOC.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Thanks for posting, Haven. Interesting read.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1391895682|3610973 said:
We kill 10,000 homeless pets a day in the US. Every. Single. Day.

http://blogs.bestfriends.org/index....-sochis-treatment-a-case-of-pots-and-kettles/

I'm an active participant in trying to right this wrong, too (in Australia and the States). There's no pot/kettle analogy when you're endeavouring to prevent suffering everywhere. I think a good number of the unhappy PSers in this thread likely put their money (and time) where their mouths are when it comes to animal welfare.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And we do not always do it humanely by lethal injection. This point was made on a dog forum to which I belong. That does not mean I am going to give a pass to the Olympics. It is my goal to speak out against animal cruelty wherever I see it.

AGBF

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1391879679|3610828 said:
But had the Olympics not been help in Sochi, would any of you have even known about animal control (or more specifically, dogs being poisoned in Sochi)? Even the woman in the video at the beginning of this thread said that Russia has always exterminated strays (but that it seemed that it was being done in greater frequency for the Olympic games). Sochi was chosen, some issues came to light (like dogs being poisoned), and now the athletes and/or the Olympic games should suffer as a result? How is that helping? What about all of the dogs that have been exterminated over the years before the Olympics? I guess that I don't have any trouble sleeping at night if I choose to watch the Olympic games. Heck, I don't even know with 100% certainty if the clothes I'm wearing on my body right now was manufactured by child labor, or if the shampoo I washed my hair with in the shower was tested on animals…. I suppose most of us do the best we can when picking and choosing what causes to support or not support and I can respect that.

Interesting point!

If the Olympics hadn't been hosted in Sochi, would anyone have known what was happening? I suppose a few, but not enough to make noise and change. Maybe by having the Olympics hosted there enough people will know about the issues and actively seek solutions that positive changes will be made.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1391898705|3610995 said:

http://blogs.bestfriends.org/index....-sochis-treatment-a-case-of-pots-and-kettles/

I'm an active participant in trying to right this wrong, too (in Australia and the States). There's no pot/kettle analogy when you're endeavouring to prevent suffering everywhere. I think a good number of the unhappy PSers in this thread likely put their money (and time) where their mouths are when it comes to animal welfare.

One of the wonderful things about PS is the active approach to making the world better! I love that so many people here do what they can (be it through donations or volunteering time or simply passing along information) to make the world a place that is better for all people and animals. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results