shape
carat
color
clarity

Doggie Dandruff?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I figure that since there are a ton of pet lovers, maybe someone would know something. (as an aside, we have a vet appointment, as well) My mini-dachshund has been kind of itchy lately, upon closer inspection, I checked out his coat for signs of fleas, mites, anything in that nature. Well, I saw some flaking skin under his coat and very dry spots as well. When scratched (not so much scratched, but flaked) the skin would flake off. There wasn''t scabbing or anything that bad, but I feel like a bad doggie mum. I have bought him some new shampoo, as I was told persistent bathing with a salicylic/tea tree oil shampoo would help him until the vet visit.

Anyone else experience this?

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
My mini-dachshund, Bentley, had dandruff as well! Constantly itching and flaking everywhere! Poor baby! Brought Bentley to the vet and the vet recommended this shampoo that is readily available in store (in the human shampoo section!) I can''t remember the name of it (i''m at work, so i can''t check at this moment) But I DO remember that it starts with an N. Bentley stopped itching and scratching and his dandruff is gone since I ''ve taken the vets advice! I''ll get back to you when I figure out the name of that stuff! It may come to me!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, is it Neutrogena? The T-gel stuff?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like a food or environmental allergy. Definitely something you need the vet to check out. Oatmeal dog shampoo is another one to try, but avoid human shampoos, they''re even more drying.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Dry skin is really common, especially if the weather is changing where you live.

We have a newf who''s in the water constantly, so we have to be careful with the skin and coat. We supplement his food with Omega 3 and 6 oils, which do the trick. He''s also on a fish-based food, which keeps his coat really shiny and his skin from drying out.

Such a cute pup, Amberwaves!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Well, we have him on Eukanuba Dachshund formula.

Specially formulated for his back health. Kibble

ETA: I should add that Seborrhea is really common in Dachshunds. I have an oatmeal/tea tree shampoo for him.

I'll look into the food allergies, too!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know if this is true for mini''s, but my pugs get really dry, flaky skin if they are bathed too much. The shampoos, even the gentle ones can be too harsh for weekly+ bathings so we take it easy on our pups. Hope everything works out.
1.gif

Jess

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I remembered the shampoo that was suggested by my vet! Nizoral Anti-Dandruff Shampoo. It''s human shampoo, but it has worked wonders with my Bentley...just a suggestion :) Research or call a vet if you are unsure!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results