shape
carat
color
clarity

Does your social circle care about jewelery?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1466696449|4047123 said:
Most everyone in my life feels jewelry is a waste of money. Like others have said I have friends that don't bat an eye about paying $60,000 for a car but a diamond costing half that much is crazy to them.

In 20 years what are they both worth?
So, who's the crazy one?

P

PierreBear

Kenny - Question on a comment you made. A car does depreciate and will have slim to none resale value in 20 years. I was curious if people on this forum think of diamonds of investments in same way. I see people selling rings or diamonds on LoopTrooper (or something like that) and it seems that people are always taking a 10% to 20% loss. Does anyone ever sell diamonds for more than paid for? Hope this side question is ok!

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
No one in my social circles cares, really. I don't think anyone (including fi!) really notices. However, my FMIL has EAGLE EYES for jewelry and I think she has my whole collection memorized. There's no sneaking a new piece by her. She also has a gorgeous collection. I think her e-ring is about 2.5 ct and very nicely cut from what I can tell. She has a neat diamond tennis bracelet and has been reminding fi that he needs to buy me a nice wedding gift. At dinner the other day she put the bracelet on my wrist to show what it looked like next to my e-ring...SWOON! Hopefully she'll be around for a LONG time to help fi pick out sparkly stuff for me!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
PierreBear|1466699069|4047141 said:
Kenny - Question on a comment you made. A car does depreciate and will have slim to none resale value in 20 years. I was curious if people on this forum think of diamonds of investments in same way. I see people selling rings or diamonds on LoopTrooper (or something like that) and it seems that people are always taking a 10% to 20% loss. Does anyone ever sell diamonds for more than paid for? Hope this side question is ok!

I've seen this kind of discussion many times and what I've taken from it is this; if you are a regular consumer buying from retailers and looking to sell back, unless it's a high value stone or it's been a family heirloom for a long time then it's virtually impossible to turn a profit from stone investment.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wildcat03|1466700418|4047153 said:
No one in my social circles cares, really. I don't think anyone (including fi!) really notices. However, my FMIL has EAGLE EYES for jewelry and I think she has my whole collection memorized. There's no sneaking a new piece by her. She also has a gorgeous collection. I think her e-ring is about 2.5 ct and very nicely cut from what I can tell. She has a neat diamond tennis bracelet and has been reminding fi that he needs to buy me a nice wedding gift. At dinner the other day she put the bracelet on my wrist to show what it looked like next to my e-ring...SWOON! Hopefully she'll be around for a LONG time to help fi pick out sparkly stuff for me!

Holy sh!t!! You hit the MIL jackpot wildcat. She actually is showing her son what to buy you??? And it involves a tennis bracelet? OMG. I barely get a bday present. He's a keeper, if for no other reason than his mom! (j/k...kinda...)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1466623161|4046786 said:
An episode of The Walking Dead where one of the characters chops a zombie's finger off to get the ring to propose netted me "Don't worry honey, even when the zombies rise up, I know better than to just get any old zombies jewelry. I know how you like to have control." :lol:

OMG, packie!! I ALWAYS think of that scene from TWD!! I'd wait to see if I could find a zombie with a huge rock... then I'd bash their brains in and take it. They'd want me to have it... ya know... to enjoy during my "living years." 8) :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one in my social circles really cares about jewelry -- at least not nearly as much as I do. They will comment on a new piece I've gotten and will be excited for me, but I think they really couldn't care less. I have friends with 0.5 ct up to about 2 ct diamonds.

My sister has caught the diamond bug... I have NO IDEA how that happened. :halo: ;)) She just upgraded her diamond for the second time. The first ring she had was terrible. It was a 0.7 ct princess cut with baguettes on the sides, from a maul store, and she came to hate it after several years of marriage. I talked her into changing to a nice 1 ct in a halo for her 10th anniversary. The most recent upgrade was for a 1.7 carat round in a solitaire for her 13th anniversary. She LOVES it, and says it's her last upgrade. Anyway, she's the only one who really cares to listen to my constant rambling about diamonds. HA! :bigsmile:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I've seen some gorgeous jewelry in my social circle, but I haven't really seen any of them as passionate about jewelry as some people here are =) I know that one of my friends designed her ring and she truly enjoyed talking to me about the process, the stones, the design, etc.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friends and family think I have lost my mind as far as jewelry. There is one lady at work that always admired my 3ct and eventually went and got herself a 2 ct. She was devastated when I sold mine and always asks when I will replace it

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1466709848|4047217 said:
wildcat03|1466700418|4047153 said:

Holy sh!t!! You hit the MIL jackpot wildcat. She actually is showing her son what to buy you??? And it involves a tennis bracelet? OMG. I barely get a bday present. He's a keeper, if for no other reason than his mom! (j/k...kinda...)

LLJsmom, I want to join your family. You and I could go bling shopping every weekend and I could discuss bags with your aunts! You already know I love you and the kids so I'm thinking I would be a great fit for your family. My own family has no interest in these things.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a male, I pretty much have no-one to talk to except through posting on PS - the only comments I got back when I mentioned in passing to friends that I wanted a fat rock in my wedding ring (when the big day comes to wed my good lady) because they are preeeeeetty :love: and I like thinking about the science behind them, was that I can't have one because "it'd look really gay" :rolleyes:

Perhaps they think I'm going to buy some diamond solitaire ring with a 2mm shank :rolleyes: instead of what I'd like (matte-finish, tension set, octavia :Up_to_something: - Kenny and DF, I'm blaming you ;)) lol) but it's hardly a world of open minds out there yet, sadly.

I can't even talk about diamonds to the local jewellery store staff - the one place I know that claims to also have a presence in Hatton Garden :think: has just the worst selection of diamonds in the window. Poorly cut, over-priced, milky white with inclusions and/or ungraded. It seems there's an opportunity for someone to set up as a seller of very high quality stones locally, but then again perhaps not, given the seeming acceptance of terrible quality on a day-to-day basis... :|

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1466797714|4047705 said:
As a male, I pretty much have no-one to talk to except through posting on PS - the only comments I got back when I mentioned in passing to friends that I wanted a fat rock in my wedding ring (when the big day comes to wed my good lady) because they are preeeeeetty :love: and I like thinking about the science behind them, was that I can't have one because "it'd look really gay" :rolleyes:

I'll talk to the committee and put in a good word for you. ;-)
Perhaps I can persuade them to make you an honorary-homosexual (but only for bling-ring-purchasing rights), and they'll mail your your card.

:lol:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is someone in my department who is into gemstones and I get to admire her jewelry, and my SIL and MIL have a couple nice pieces (I have tried to do some educating about quality over quantity!) but in general no. Most women have an engagement ring and a chain necklace but that's about it. I think there is also a judgment that it's OK to purchase $ for clothes, cars, trip, etc, but jewelry one would get a strange look. I think the only exception is for engagement ring or 20th anniversary ring. I was going to sell my diamond ring because my husband got it for me, and he cheated. But I really like the ring so I am leaning towards, if I can financially swing it, after I separate/divorce wearing it on my right hand and not give a fig what people think! I pretty much never got to wear it, and I'm old enough to do what the heck I want.

susief

Shiny_Rock
part gypsy|1466799404|4047725 said:
I was going to sell my diamond ring because my husband got it for me, and he cheated. But I really like the ring so I am leaning towards, if I can financially swing it, after I separate/divorce wearing it on my right hand and not give a fig what people think! I pretty much never got to wear it, and I'm old enough to do what the heck I want.

I think this is a brilliant idea. A beautiful ring is just a piece of jewellery - it can mean anything you want it to. If you love it, keep it and wear it. Maybe engraving it with a meaningful message (for you) would help? Your "independence" ring or suchlike?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1466798945|4047713 said:

I'll talk to the committee and put in a good word for you. ;-)
Perhaps I can persuade them to make you an honorary-homosexual (but only for bling-ring-purchasing rights), and they'll mail your your card.

:lol:
Well, several people have already tried to 'recruit' me when I've gone out to gay / gay-friendly places with friends for an evening out :lol: so a card would be awesome ;)) :D

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps they think I'm going to buy some diamond solitaire ring with a 2mm shank :rolleyes: instead of what I'd like (matte-finish, tension set, octavia :Up_to_something: - Kenny and DF, I'm blaming you ;)) lol) but it's hardly a world of open minds out there yet, sadly.
You must join "Octavia for men club"!.. :wink2: :appl:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1466811459|4047842 said:

Oh please do join the club OoohShiny. We never get tired of seeing pictures of beautiful Octavia's around here.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
No, not really. Except for one PS'er that I'm friends with in real life. :sun: I do have one friend that has some very nice pieces and we've had discussions about jewelry, but she's not one to join PS or go window shopping at Tiffany's with me or anything like that.

Interestingly, though, I did have a woman at work comment on my e-ring today and then tell a few other coworkers to come look at my ring. I thought that was cute. I travel to different hospitals for work so I'm generally not at one location for any extended period of time, so this woman hasn't really known me that well, but caught a glimpse of my ring today (which coincidentally just got back from being polished at BGD) and felt the need to express her appreciation for it. Her exact words were "You did good!" LOL

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1466812439|4047854 said:

Oh please do join the club OoohShiny. We never get tired of seeing pictures of beautiful Octavia's around here.

I fully intend to join the club at some point! :sun: It won't be for a while (debts / crap job / etc etc :roll: :( :( ) but wanting one is helping inspire me to aim higher and work harder, so I can get the things I want :))

And if I can get an Octavia bigger and blingier than the good lady's CBI, all the better :Up_to_something: lol :tongue:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1466815416|4047875 said:

I fully intend to join the club at some point! :sun: It won't be for a while (debts / crap job / etc etc :roll: :( :( ) but wanting one is helping inspire me to aim higher and work harder, so I can get the things I want :))

And if I can get an Octavia bigger and blingier than the good lady's CBI, all the better :Up_to_something: lol :tongue:
I need a CBI for my right hand!... :silenced:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1466827020|4048032 said:
OoohShiny|1466815416|4047875 said:

I need a CBI for my right hand!... :silenced:
Swapsies? ;))

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, but not in the way I do. They are mostly interested in SIZE and not quality. :rolleyes:

Although, I do have several friends whose families own businesses and thus, they grew up draped in jewels. They appreciate my upgrades the cut, quality, rarity, and my custom settings.

People are work are more in awe of my upgrade journey.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1466621504|4046758 said:
susief|1466621029|4046750 said:
Not at all. No-one cares. (UK). Which is quite pleasant in some ways - there is absolutely no judgment or pressure. I am always bemused when I read about a certain size diamond being "expected" in social circles, for example. You wear what you like over here and no-one will care - or in all likelihood even notice :lol:

The downside is I rarely see anyone wearing good quality jewellery. And there's no-one to talk to about it. Sigh.

I tried organising an UK GTG a few times, gave up in the end due to lack of interest.

DK :))

I would come! I only live about 30 miss from Susief!

In answer to the original question, my family know about my love of diamonds, and a handful of friends. Most of the school mummies in my area are rocking some big diamonds, but nobody EVER asks each other about them! Consequently I keep myself to myself. My pear isn't big (1.02 CT) but it faces up large & is certainly noticeable & firey due to how well it's cut. A few of my closest mummy friends have admired it, but I think more for the fact it's not a round or princess, which are more common.

I have been taken engagement ring shopping twice, by my best friends' now husband & little sisters' now husband, and they were appreciative of my knowledge & help. I have also advised & steered my mother, other sister & distant relative on their purchases.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, not one single local friend cares about jewelry, and every single one still wears their original e-ring of about a carat or less! Yet they have lake houses, boats, take trips, etc. I don't think most people have heard the word upgrade. I have never shown my rings or other jewelry to friends, and they do not notice or just don't say anything to me. I have told my mother and sisters, though, and they are very excited for me! My sisters came up for a short visit this week, and one told me that she was planning on a new diamond for their 25th anniversary in a couple of years. She has her original 1 ct and she'd like to get as close to 2 cts as possible. She hates to spend the money, though! When I got my first upgrade of 1.6 cts after coming to PS, my mother said I should have gone to 2 cts! So I have had a tiny amount of encouragement from my family, but none from local friends! In fact, I spent a good deal of time feeling self conscious around friends once I upgraded. I don't worry about it now, but I am still conscious of it.

I am very thankful for my PS friends! It's nice to share our hobby with like-minded people! :appl:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know anyone who cares about jewelry.

I also agree that there's a real bias that it's OK to spend a lot of money on travel or cars or boats etc. but complete horror at spending the same on a piece of jewelry, even though those things either depreciate sharply or are soon just a memory. While I know that you don't buy jewelry as an investment, I'd love to see the state of the 60k Mercedes fifty years from now as opposed to the 4-carat ACA!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Not at all. WE are a grungy group of raggamuffins

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alas they do not! :wall: They all know I adore jewellery and sometimes will even kindly ask about my latest piece but the general feeling I get from friends and family is that my love for jewellery means I am shallow, silly and spoilt... :blackeye:

No one has ever heard of an upgrade and everyone I know has their original diamond e-ring (usually <1ct). Sometimes I even get comments about gemstones that infer they are inferior or that I buy them because we cannot afford diamonds etc... :angryfire:

My darling husband thank goodness is extremely supportive and encourages me to collect & create. :love:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this is an old thread, but it did my heart good to read it. Sometimes I feel "odd" for caring/researching about jewelry the way I do. You ladies (and a few guys!) made me feel more special than odd :mrgreen:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
None of my friends really have any interest in jewellery. My DH doesn't understand my fascination with it either, although he does indulge me. What can I say, he's an accountant and 'assets' to him are a totally different ballgame. :lol:

We cruise a fair amount, and I always enjoy meeting other women who share my interest. I met a lovely lady recently on board who wanted to buy a tanzanite so I went with her, and dissuaded her from paying a ridiculous amount of money for an inferior piece in a chopped up setting. You know the places in the Caribbean, appalling online reviews, and real high pressure selling techniques :-o

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They don't care until have to get something nice. Then Im the goto person for that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results