shape
carat
color
clarity

Does your jewelry style match your clothing and home decor?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious if anyone else thought about this as they were deciding on settings. I enjoy looking at all of halos, engraved and intricately designed PS settings but don't seem to like to wear them. When I was thinking about how to set my MRB, I ordered a few fakeys with lots of side stones, millegrain, carving, halos and embellishments to test out and grew tired of looking at them on my hand fairly quickly. At the end of the day, I find that I like wearing sleek and modern settings.

That seems to be my taste in clothing and home decor. I like light, open, uncluttered spaces with one large design element as opposed to darker cozy spaces with collections of small items. Clothing is fairly streamlined too with tailored pieces, bold colors and geometric patterns. No chiffon or lace, minimal ruffles or florals.

Is your style fairly consistent or not? Do you like a simple solitaire with plain metal wb but then wear lots of boho, flowy clothing and love shabby-chic decor?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Does your jewelry style match your clothing and home dec

Interesting and fun question!
I can't wait to read the replies.
I'm very attracted to antique and vintage, but I tend to prefer more streamlined, simple styles in both decor, clothing, and jewelry on a daily basis. I get visually overwhelmed with a lot of detail, but I occasionally enjoy the juxtaposition of ornate and simple. In our primary residence there is a fairly clear cut difference between the few ornate inherited antiques and the simpler modern purchases my spouse and I have made.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hell no!

What's style?
What's decor?

I take an individual approach, instead of a collective approach to home, clothing and jewelry.
Everything is groovy, but no thought whatsoever is given to how 'well' anything 'goes' together.
That would result in me rejecting some pretty cool stuff.

Themes or matchy matchy are not for me.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

sort of......IF eclectic at best is a décor and/or style!
what pleases me is what I wear and surround myself with....but like Kenny I too am not a matchy-matchy person and prefer to wear jewelry that I won't see on other people.
ah, yes, my stye: Contrarian!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Harpertoo|1395951146|3642466 said:
Interesting and fun question!
I can't wait to read the replies.
I'm very attracted to antique and vintage, but I tend to prefer more streamlined, simple styles in both decor, clothing, and jewelry on a daily basis. I get visually overwhelmed with a lot of detail, but I occasionally enjoy the juxtaposition of ornate and simple. In our primary residence there is a fairly clear cut difference between the few ornate inherited antiques and the simpler modern purchases my spouse and I have made.

This almost exactly. I love antique and vintage too but also modern and sleek so have a combination of true antiques and some modern pieces in my primary home. Most of the modern pieces my dh made himself via his woodworking hobby. And while my first love is vintage jewelry I also love and have more modern pieces.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like all things simple, classic and modern. That applies to jewelry, decor and fashion.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

movie zombie|1395954972|3642507 said:
sort of......IF eclectic at best is a décor and/or style!
what pleases me is what I wear and surround myself with....but like Kenny I too am not a matchy-matchy person and prefer to wear jewelry that I won't see on other people.
ah, yes, my stye: Contrarian!

+ 1 me too. I don't match much either. I prefer a weird mix of things that I either like the look of or that have some sort of significance.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Put me with Mozo, Missy, & Arkie. I'm pretty consistent in liking the Victorian and Edwardian and Art Deco eras, but practicality (and my husband) interfere. I think that even I, with my granny boots and my crinolines, would get some odd looks if I went full-on Gibson Girl, so the clothing tends to get cut with a fair dose of modern/androgyne garb (I own pin-striped jeans, and more vests than I ought perhaps to admit to). In my ideal world, I would have a velvet fainting couch with carven claw feet, but in the one where I negotiate with my husband so we don't either of us want to claw our eyes out (he's very ... Scandinavian), we've compromised on a kind of minimalist chinoiserie with a lot of rich fabrics.

It probably matches my jewelry pretty well, now that I think about it ....

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

I'm very very traditional, or classic, and like to look "well put together". My solitaire settings for ring, pendant, and studs reflect my no frills attitude. They are mirrored in they way I dress (Ann Taylor/Loft) and my home decor (Pottery Barn)

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think I have a more traditional type home with a country kitchen. It has lots of trimwork and crown molding, but the furniture I purchased new for this home has a more transitional feel.
My older furniture, like my bedroom set and dining room set is more modern (Ethan Allen), but in general I like to say I have a Pottery Barn feel to my house.
My most recent purchase is the Daniella Chest in red from Pottery Barn. It has a very distressed look to it and doesn't really match anything else in the house. I just saw it and loved it and then when I got it, I had no where to put it.

Actually, now that I am thinking more about it, I don't feel like my furniture matches my home at all, it's very mix n match.

My wardrobe is very casual and comfortable. I like jeans and sweaters or tees. I don't work in a formal type of environment where I would need to wear slacks and blouses/suits, but if I did, I would probably purchase most stuff from Banana Republic, Loft and NY and Co.
Normally, I wear juicy velour suits when I am out and about with sneakers. I like that company INC from Macy's.

My jewelry style has changed over the years. I currently have a WF Harmony set, which is pave and four prong head, but I would like to reset it soon to a rose gold solitaire with no pave.

Over the past few years, I have been purchasing Beverley K and Simon G, I like the antique feeling with the milgrain and detail, but with a modern twist. My latest piece is the Tiffany DBTY in rose gold.

I guess my style really doesn't match at all.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My house is a rambling rabbit-warren on a horse farm. In my country English kitchen where I do most of my living, I currently have 5 dogs at my feet, and a string trimmer in the corner, an easel, large modern paintings & stacks of books everywhere. Restoration Hardware furniture & George Neslon lights.
Live in jeans, tunics, Carhartt vests, knee-high boots and pigtails.
I absolutely adore all those frou-frou diamonds rings, and have a gypsy soul, but when it comes time to put a diamond in a setting I usually end up with the plainest thing possible.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd say no. I like very clean, classic, and simple home decor. Clothing and bling I like a bit more colorful, bold, noticeable pieces.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

What an interesting question. My house has a mid-centruy modern (Mad Men) vibe with very clean lines and very minimal decoration except for a few pieces of art deco I inhereted. My clothing is very traditional and understated but once in a while I like to be girly with lace and ribbons. I love vintage/antique jewelry but have a few modern pieces. I like uncluttered decor and clothing but I'm the opposite with jewelry. With the exception of my studs, bling needs to have a lot going on.

NTave

Shiny_Rock

Possibly. The pieces I wear the most are simple, classic small diamond double prong studs, a vintagey looking five stone..for every day wear. That is my clothing style too..comfort first, and I like classics, white shirts, jeans. Home décor I like comfortable, liveable, classic hard wood floors,but I also enjoy modern colors and fabrics mixed in with vintage pieces..warm, sunny, livable, kid friendly but aesthetically pleasing. This might also be because I'm decidedly smack middle in the middle class..Banana Republic is where I shop..I get my ideas for home décor from Pottery Barn, but then shop at Homegoods and Overstock to achieve the look without the price...:)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've never consciously thought about this but now you've raised it, yeah I think there's a general matching there. My style tends to be minimalist, modern & sleek, understated elegance with the occasional flamboyance twist. Think Valentino, Gucci, Armani with the occasional Herve Leger (or at least HL -inspired) and Roberto Cavelli.

However, a lot of the time these days I run around in leggings/ shorts and spaghetti-strap T's and flat shoes. So what does that say about my style, ha ha?! :lol:

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock

I can not commit to one style because the grass is always greener. I love understated elegance and clean lines in most everything so it's no surprise I wear a solitaire. I get tired of ring styles quick, but still love my solitaire.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think so. Jewelry-wise, I like bolder, chunkier pieces with a strong leaning towards organic/natural looks. Several pieces I wear remind me of George Jensen, and I like giant cuff bracelets, rings, and necklaces with amber or turquoise. My engagement setting is a substantial, sturdy, and pretty plain solitaire style. I've often thought of changing it to something more delicate, like the Emilya halo, but I'm not sure if that's "me."

Our house has a lot of natural light, is very open and airy, grounded by a lot of wood and several chunky pieces of furniture, and the decor is mostly earth tones and natural greens throughout. A lot of our wall decor is art I've done myself or found on Etsy, or rustic, hammered metal antiqued/painted pieces or distressed painted wood. It's all kind of nature-inspired, and comfortable.

I wear a lot of J. Crew mixed with outdoorsy gear like Patagonia, Prana, and North Face...I'm more into riding boots and flat sandals these days than heels. I spend my free time gardening and I have a toddler, so comfort and easy-to-care-for apparel is pretty much essential.

This is a really fun thread!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No!, T- shirt and khaki pants does not go well with a dress watch.. :wacko: neither does the sneakers... :wacko:

_16363.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phoenix|1396091511|3643315 said:
I've never consciously thought about this but now you've raised it, yeah I think there's a general matching there. My style tends to be minimalist, modern & sleek, understated elegance with the occasional flamboyance twist. Think Valentino, Gucci, Armani with the occasional Herve Leger (or at least HL -inspired) and Roberto Cavelli.

However, a lot of the time these days I run around in leggings/ shorts and spaghetti-strap T's and flat shoes. So what does that say about my style, ha ha?! :lol:

That you are smart. stylish and comfortable. :appl:

I never sacrifice comfort for style. The 2 can coexist very well IMO and I think we are perfect examples. :sun:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1396268484|3644241 said:
Phoenix|1396091511|3643315 said:

That you are smart. stylish and comfortable. :appl:

I never sacrifice comfort for style. The 2 can coexist very well IMO and I think we are perfect examples. :sun:

Awww, you're too cute! :))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

lol in the sense of simple yes. I dress fairly casually, but in a "uniform" way. Almost always dark jeans or cargos, with a layered cami, tshirt and cardi. I like a lot of color at least in my clothes, though I mostly wear blue, green and purple bec they don't fight with my hair. In my house, all but like two walls are still white, and the "themes" are mostly blue and green also. But I have a lot of cleaning and purging to do in there, so in cleanliness, oh hell no. My rings are CONSTANTLY spotlessly clean. My house looks like a bomb went off. It's not at all "styled" either. I cannot WAIT for this basement to finally be done so I can relocate DH to the basement again, and attempt to reclaim the dining and living rooms.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

What is home decor? i have toddlers so everything is either plastic or plastic wrapped!

And no my home decor is very med. in style. Perhaps a cross of med/ european cottage with lots of warm colors, exposed wood/ brick etc. My clothes are pretty bohemian and my jewelry is a more art deco, edwardian and ornate. I'm all over the place.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SB621|1396298551|3644510 said:
What is home decor? i have toddlers so everything is either plastic or plastic wrapped!

I miss those days! "Mommy" is the best style I can think of.

craighnt

Shiny_Rock

I like ultra modern and clean design, both in my house, car, things I collect and even jewelery. I tend to be drawn to raw materials like concrete, steel, raw metals, natural woods which show the beauty of the material without being covered up with paint or polish. Not trying to be matchy, matchy, it's really just fallowing through with a philosophy of design. So there is room to add an odd element if I so choose, it becomes more of an art piece instead of blending into the background.

Funny you asked this question. I had my first ring made a while ago in a tension setting. Before I did some research, I first went to a local jeweler who wanted to put a metal bridge on the underside so it would be more of a faux tension setting. That idea rubbed me the wrong way so much I just kind of said never mind and walked out. I eventually got a real one. In the design world that makes me a "purist". :saint: :saint: :saint:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

I like to think of my style as an evolving thing. Not in terms of fashion seasons but more that the older I get, the more comfortable I am with trying out new things. I am fairly conservative when it comes to dressing - I like lots of black in my wardrobe. When I worked I wore a lot of reasonably expensive designer clothes (dresses) and black Louboutin and Miu Miu heels. Think 40s and 50s style. Now, as a stay at home Mummy who attempts to work from home, it's more jeans and cardigans and ballet flats. Washable. I tend to wear statement jewellery to dress things up- sometimes real, often fashion. Think Lily from Gossip Girl in that respect. I love handbags - Kate Spade, LV, Furla, Chloe, Miu Miu.

I think my home style probably reflects that: lots of basics, things that don't date, coupled with interesting statement pieces - a great coffee table, 6ft tall twisted mango wood lamps, an interesting ottoman. I think the principles of home decorating are the same as clothing for me. Classic yet stylish. Things that never date combined with statement pieces to liven it up. We are I. The process of building two very different houses - one Hamptons style and one very modern. But the principles of design are the the same. Beautiful. Classic. Does not date.

I think my jewellery style is the same. Classic with a twist. I like details but nothing too detailed or fussy. I like items that are timeless but still a little individual.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Yes. And no.

I dress more casually than not. Not jeans and sweats, or yoga pants. But not corporate or formal.
My home is cozy comfortable, not minimalist or luxurious.
My rings are "romantic" and a bit more foo-foo than the jewelry I normally wear. Yet they seem to suit me. ;-)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Clothing - totally into comfort, support (I love compression) and functionality. I would wear lululemon every day all day long if I could. I live in their jackets, sweatshirts and power Y tanks and wear them under everything. Supportive and bra and shirt all in one. Jean shorts if warm, and cargo capris if cold. Skinny jeans all the time, since I can't wear lululemon pants to work. Bold colors in solids and stripes. I love stripes. My mom buys me a ton of Marc Jacobs, so I end up wearing all kinds of weird eclectic tops with my basics. Boots all winter. Prada ballet flats in the summer. LV Epi obsession, until diamonds, that is. ;-)

Home - Functionality. California Closet built-ins anywhere I can, wall systems in all the bedrooms and offices to maximize use of wall space and to minimize room obstruction. Only family pictures on walls, kid's framed art work, and kids' trophies as decoration. Nothing sits out that isn't used or in use. Absolutely nothing non-functional.

THAT IS HOW BORING I AM.

My jewelry - still trying to figure that out. I love the idea of vintage inspired looks, but when I get down to it, I love simple, clean, classic lines and designs. Pieces that I can wear every day, with bling impact but not with much decoration or design.

Since I've stepped away from the reset idea for a while, I realized some of the other things I want to put on my bling bucket list. Definitely I will need a basic eternity band, about 35-40 pointers. Big bling when I don't want to wear the e-ring. Studs for sure. Then my basic uniform may be done. I would like a bezeled pendant, but I don't think I need one. Now that I don't feel the urgency to reset, I keep thinking about a four prong double claw solitaire setting. I am also thinking about Cartier a lot these days...

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock

My wedding set (which I wear everyday) definitely reflects my overall "style" (if you could even call it that LOL). I like things that match or complement each other, both in clothing and in our home's decor. Since our house has an open floorplan, I have a common thread of some sort that flows from room to room.

The rest of my jewelry however, my RHRs, earrings, bracelets, etc are all over the place and I love it that way. Since I can wear a different combo every day, I'm a little more comfortable going w/ all sorts of styles, colors, sizes, etc that I wouldn't want to wear as part of my wedding set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results