shape
carat
color
clarity

Does BOGO entice you?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
If you see a BOGO kind of sale (Buy One Get One), are you more likely to buy something that you otherwise wouldn't?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Nope. I'm more likely to get two of something that I only wanted one of originally (obviously). Or if it wasn't on my shopping list that week, but I knew I needed to get it soon, I might pick it up anyway, but I wouldn't buy something out of the ordinary just because it was BOGO.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
only if I was interested in the item in the first place..it would make me take the plunge and get it

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
I fall for it at the grocery store all the time. It usually *is* a good deal, especially with meats, and I can stock up the freezer for a while. Sometimes my mom and I will actually go to the food store together for the BOGO sales, and split the bill and the food.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I take advantage when it's kid shoes - just last night I bought my daughter a lovely double shot of rain boots and mary janes for the fall at Famous Footwear's BOGO sale :)

But generally speaking, I don't pay attention to stuff like that for myself. When I need or want something, I buy it (spend a little time trying to find it on sale, etc. as I do most of my shopping online) otherwise I wind up buying stuff I don't need. I'm a sucker for sales and infomercials. So I avoid both.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nope. I live in NY, and I just don't have the storage space for, like, a second giant tub of detergent or whatnot. If only BOGO deals were available for things like Michael Stars t-shirts and diamonds .... :rodent:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I do if I'm originally interested in it. Pricing will also be important to me. If it's a 40 dollar shirt and I'm getting two, it's not necessarily worth it to me. If it's 10-20, great.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Deends on the item, really.

If it is something that would sit around for ages, no. However, if it was the premium chocolate I rarely buy because it is expensive, then yes!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
I do if I'm originally interested in it. Pricing will also be important to me. If it's a 40 dollar shirt and I'm getting two, it's not necessarily worth it to me. If it's 10-20, great.

See, it would be the opposite for me. If I can get an extra $40 shirt for free, I'm more likely to go for it. If it's just an extra $10 shirt, then I'm not as interested, because I could just buy another $10 shirt at a later date. I guess it depends on how much I like the shirt, but assuming I like the $40 shirt enough to buy one in the first place, the BOGO deal would be appealing.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Yup! But only if that's what I was initially going to the store to purchase. But for instance my local pizza place does BOGO specials all the time and I love it, and the place is always mobbed. 2 large pizzas more than feed my family and it doesn't break the bank.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Speaking of, I'm being enticed currently by something on Etsy. *cough cough*

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Do eeet

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen said:
dragonfly411 said:

See, it would be the opposite for me. If I can get an extra $40 shirt for free, I'm more likely to go for it. If it's just an extra $10 shirt, then I'm not as interested, because I could just buy another $10 shirt at a later date. I guess it depends on how much I like the shirt, but assuming I like the $40 shirt enough to buy one in the first place, the BOGO deal would be appealing.

Elro - I agree.... I'm mostly a major sales watcher. I might be able to come back two months later, and get those same shirts marked down to 10 each... and then spend half of what I would doing the original b1g1. If it is an item I TRULY want then it is one that will last me a long time, and won't go out of style, so buying it at the end of a season would be worth it.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I usually avoid these offers, particularly in supermarkets. Might be different in the US, but in the UK these offers are usually paid for by the supplier of the goods, rather than the retailer. Fine if the supplier is a huge company and can afford it, not so good if they're a smaller company maybe already struggling.

When the retailer decided to make the offer, they inform the supplier, then pay them half the usual profit. The suppliers generally have no written contract because supermarkets are absurdly powerful, so they have no means of objection. The supplier's only recourse is to ask the supermarket to de-list their products, which can cost them a penalty of around £30k for a nationally stocked item. And of course, many of the suppliers have no other outlet for their goods anyway, so even that small bit of leverage is useless to them. I have a good friend who was caught in this predicament with one of the major UK supermarkets. He's a farmer, but came remarkably close to losing his livelihood after the second BOGO offer on his produce (without his consent) inside a month.

So no, I don't participate.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Not usually...often only if it's advertised as BOGO but you really can get one at half off (often at the grocery store it's this way, or when things are 3 for x, you get one for 1/3x).

I NEVER understand the cell phone sales that are BOGO. I can't ever imagine being in a situation where it would work out.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. I only buy things on sale anyways, and when I shop, I usually want one pair of shoes, not two (or whatever). So when I head out I want to spend, say, $60 on shoes, hoping to find a pair at half price. So it does not appeal to me at all to pay $120 and get two pairs, when I don't even need two!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results