shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have this steel rice cooker?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TC1987|1407773502|3730252 said:
Dancing Fire|1344059916|3245789 said:
well,then i guess us Asians need to teach Americans on how to cook rice in a pot... :lol:

How do you do it? I learned mine from Southern Living, figuring they ought to know. So, here's how I cook white rice, and I have done this hundreds of times on both gas and electric:
Do not pre-rinse rice.
Put in the rice, however much you want.
I'd pre rinse the rice, then add 1/2 inch of water above the rice level.Boil the rice at the highest heat level with the cover on then give it a few stirs when the water reaches the level of the rice, then turn the heat down to lo and cover the rice wait about 13 mins and the rice is ready to serve.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also pre-rinse rice.
I can't imagine not.

Wouldn't it have some dust/dirt/whatever?

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Ninna|1407702701|3729761 said:
I do not eat much rice these days but it's a must [2x week] for DH. A good Chinese friend of his taught him the 'First Knuckle method' in college. I'll tell you, DH's rice is always perfect! [Cooker or stove top]. This only applies for Jasmine though. For Basmati, we both measure stock or water.

My DH is Chinese and was taught the 'knuckle' method for water to rice ratio but his rice is always too dry!! I make him use the 2:1 ratio and he agrees it's much better now. lol

I didn't start using a rice cooker until I had Asian roommates. They used it all the time and let it stay on 'warm' all day. My mom only taught me the pot/stove method.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always pre-rinse rice to get rid of dirt/starch, only use basmati rice as default rice of choice nowadays.

Yet, I never pre-rinse risotto/paella rice and add them straight from the packet to the pan, as the extra starch is desirable for a risotto/paella.

DK :))

portia

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett|1407711389|3729836 said:
This is our rice cooker, it's a dream! http://www.zojirushi.com/products/nszcc

Our friends use one with a steel bowl, and they absolutely love theirs too, not sure what brand it is though.

We have the same rice cooker and love it. Turns out perfect every time!

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
I always rinse jasmine rice until water runs clear to get rid of the excess starch and dirt. Never measure the rice but do the 'knuckle water measure' for pan or cooker.
I've also learned from middle eastern friends to soak basmati for a few minutes [after rinsing] prior to cooking. One of them par boils/drains basmati just like pasta and then layers all kinds of spices and nuts in same pot and steams the whole thing for a bit..... is light as air-delish!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I thought USA long grain white rice doesn't need to be rinsed. I've not found my un-rinsed rice to be particularly sticky, so I guess not washing it is okay.

http://www.indiacurry.com/faqhints/tfaqricewash.htm
Should I wash rice before cooking?

As a rule wash the rice milled in India and don't wash the rice milled in USA

Rice Processed in USA

During milling and polishing, most of the nutrients are lost. Therefore, almost all the rice processed in United States is fortified with Vitamins, and minerals (Including iron). When you open the package, you see this fortification in the form of a powdery substance. If you wash the rice, you will be washing away the added nutrients.

You may still want to pre-soak rice in a limited amount of water to increase heat conductivity of the grain to reduce cooking time. For this purpose, use ¾ cups of plain water for each cup of rice.

Rice Imported from India

The rice imported from India is not fortified with any nutrients. The powdery stuff you see is the starchy residue after milling and polishing. You should wash and rinse this rice. The starchy residue will make the rice to stick together, and even cause boil over. You should wash and rinse about three times before cooking to get rid of the residue. After washing, the rice should be presoaked to increase thermal conductivity. Use 1½ cups of plain water for each cup of raw rice.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
portia|1407808406|3730600 said:
ckrickett|1407711389|3729836 said:
This is our rice cooker, it's a dream! http://www.zojirushi.com/products/nszcc

Our friends use one with a steel bowl, and they absolutely love theirs too, not sure what brand it is though.

We have the same rice cooker and love it. Turns out perfect every time!

I have it also but I do wish the cooking bowl was ceramic or stainless.........

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We have the Zojirushi brand rice cooker, only because it has specific settings for things like brown rice and gaba rice. Gaba rice is supposed to be healthier than brown rice, but takes three hours to cook. Not leaving that on the stove for that long. It also has a convenient timer feature if I want to wake up to steel cut oatmeal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results