shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Anyone Else Get Schwans?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
We've been getting Schwans for over 20 years and we love it. Our favorite is the beer battered cod and the various kinds of shrimp (coconut, tempura, butterfly breaded). Also love the Angus meatloaf for sandwiches and the super sweet cut corn. What's your favorite?

If you don't know Schwans (or you've only seen the delivery trucks everywhere), they're a home food delivery service that delivers restaurant quality heat and eat seafood, desserts, vegetables, entrees, etc. You don't have to preorder, or anything, they just show up at your house at a regular time every couple of weeks and you tell them what you want (if anything). The food is awesome, and all the years I worked and the kids were growing up, it was a must have. It's not like little Lean Cuisine meals, it's like 6 pork chops, or alfredo that serves 5, or 25 tempura shrimp (oven ready). The prices are about the same as a grocery store, and there's no minimum. We have neighbors that only get the heat n eat pancakes, lol.

If you want to try it, check out their website to get an idea ( http://www.schwans.com/ ), then call to get on the route (if you have a freezer at work, even better). You can order on line, or thumb through his catalog when he shows up and take it right off the truck. Pay with credit card, cash, whatever. They have gluten free or vegetarian or live smart items that are low calorie. If you decide to do it only once, that's fine, or you can order from there for the next 20 years, like I did. Every time we moved, I'd call and get on a route.

So . . . any other Pricescopers get Schwans? What are your favorites?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen the trucks driving around town every once in a while and I think I have seen one deliver in our neighborhood. I have never tried it though. I thought it was mostly ice cream. The website looks interesting.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
We used to, but honestly, the food is not that good. We really liked the chicken pot pie (family size), but obviously, it's horrible for you, so it was a "splurge" meal every once in a while. We found that we were wasting a lot of food because the Schwans guy would come and we were buying things just to buy them. I know that they offer some "healthier" choices, but a lot of their food items are not very healthy, butI suppose meals of convenience never usually are =)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
momhappy said:
We used to, but honestly, the food is not that good. We really liked the chicken pot pie (family size), but obviously, it's horrible for you, so it was a "splurge" meal every once in a while. We found that we were wasting a lot of food because the Schwans guy would come and we were buying things just to buy them. I know that they offer some "healthier" choices, but a lot of their food items are not very healthy, butI suppose meals of convenience never usually are =)

:|

Well, we like it. It's not gourmet, but it is equal in quality to a chain restaurant (all that food comes frozen too, btw).

Can't say we were ever pot pie fans, though we have tried it. LOVE the coconut shrimp, as good as any restaurant version I've had, but it's seasonal.

Actually, many of their items are very healthy. We have to eat healthy because my DH is diabetic., so we are very careful.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I wish we had a service like this where I live. Do they have single servings?

DH would consider coconut shrimp, pot pie, and battered fish to be junk food, but I love it. Haven't been to a chain restaurant I'm ages, but sort of miss it and would be awesome to get a fix every once and a while. Showing up at my door would be even better!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1434470639|3889887 said:
momhappy said:

:|

Well, we like it. It's not gourmet, but it is equal in quality to a chain restaurant (all that food comes frozen too, btw).

Can't say we were ever pot pie fans, though we have tried it. LOVE the coconut shrimp, as good as any restaurant version I've had, but it's seasonal.

Actually, many of their items are very healthy. We have to eat healthy because my DH is diabetic., so we are very careful.

Yes, I realize it's not gourmet and that's fine. We don't necessarily need to eat gourmet food every day, but we do try to be (somewhat) healthy. Food items like battered/fried fish & shrimp, pot pies (covered in gravy), etc. are definitely not healthy foods (as they are high in fat, carbs, calories, etc.). I do know that Schwans has a LiveSmart line of foods that are supposed to be healthier and they also have lots of frozen fruits & veggies, frozen lean proteins (like fish), etc., which would be considered to be healthier choices.
I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with Schwans - it's not unlike the frozen foods you typically find in the grocery store. The home delivery service is nice too, so I'm certainly not judging it - it's just not something that we care to purchase any more:)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
They have plenty of unbreaded things like steaks, fish fillets, chicken tenderloins, vegetables, salmon burgers, etc. I purchase those at Costco, so I don't see the point of buying them from Schwans, which is why I didn't mention them. But for a "night off" a shove-it-in-the-oven meal it is great.

And they are not really all that high in fat, carbs or calories, if you read the nutrition info. Again, DH is on a special diet, so he can't have any of that, so we all eat healthy. :rolleyes: For example, the beer battered cod is oven baked and pretty low in fat, calories, etc, for 2 pieces:
http://www.schwans.com/products/productDetail.aspx?id=52118&c1=10429&c2=11469

If you have time/energy/desire to cook on the stove after working all day, the unbreaded cod is even better
http://www.schwans.com/products/productDetail.aspx?id=52118&c1=10429&c2=11469

chemgirl: If you go on their website, you can punch in your zip code, see if they deliver to your area. They do have lunch entrees. DH can eat the roast turkey meal on occasion.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
iLander, I'm not knocking Schwans. Your thread was asking if anyone has used Schwans and since we used to, I thought I'd offer my thoughts. My posts seem to have offended you in some way and I apologize if that's the case.
I also posted that they offer some healthy choices, so I have certainly not said that everything is unhealthy. I think, in general, frozen foods are not necessarily the healthiest choices, but yes, I sometimes do the shove-it-in-the-oven meals too, so again, I'm not judging. Schwans is fine and I'm glad that you've found some items that you love. It was nice of you to share because I'm sure that some people would appreciate the convenience of home delivery =)
We also use to use a company called Horizon Foods (I think). They delivered mostly meat/protein choices. They were expensive, but the quality was good (organic, etc.). I'm not sure if they are still in business.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't do Schwans, but I am looking into the various Organic fruit and vegetable delivery services in my area. I have an incredible fruit stand down the street, but they aren't organic. For what I pay at the stand, I can have a sizeable box of organic fruits and veggies delivered right to my home. Because they choose for me and deliver what is seasonal, I can't get stuck in fruit ruts either. I am forced to eat what is delivered.

I didn't plant a garden this year because of the drought. I was hoping this might be a good alternative.

Still haven't put this into action though. Maybe next week. :bigsmile:

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
My sister did it a few times. She has kids and is always looking for a way to avoid the grocery store. She raved about their pies.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely LOVED Schwans as a kid. My parents would get ice cream treats and other goodies. At some point, I think they got a Sam's Club membership and found equivalent items there so dropped Schwans. But I still have a positive association whenever I see a yellow truck... Mmm, mint ice cream bars covered in chocolate... :lickout:

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We don't have Schwans in Canada anymore. There used to be a Schwans ice cream plant in a small town close to where we live. One small local ice cream parlour used to carry their ice cream and my favourite was Raspberry Rumble. I'm not a huge ice cream fan but I have to say that was the best ice cream I've ever had. I have't found any other ice cream flavour that comes close to this one. Oh those fresh raspberry swirls and dark chocolate chunks - yum!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a Schwann's customer also, and also LOVE the beer battered cod - seriously awesome batter flavor on that stuff! We primarily buy that and the frozen chicken breast filets (unbreaded). The chicken breasts are great for me because I cannot stand having to clean chicken skin, fat, etc from store bought chicken (totally grosses me out to the point I can't eat it if I have to clean it; just a weird thing I have). These come out ready to cook/thaw, and I love that I can grab exactly what I need out of the bag for quick meals.

Another thing they have that I like is the bags of bow tie pasta with veggies. I use that with a box of store bought pasta noodles and make cold pasta salads in the summer with Italian dressing, or in broth soups.

We do also buy the veggies, and occasionally get ice cream, but really try to avoid junk food, so I avoid the sweet section of the catalog. But I love the convenience of the delivery, and that value is worth the slightly higher price to me, though I find the huge bag of chicken breasts to be a great price for what you get.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Turkey tenderloins :cheeky: I don't order them anymore but loved them when the boys were babies since it was difficult running to the grocery store w/twins. I use to buy frozen salmon too. Chicken cordon bleu were good too

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1434634497|3890828 said:
I am a Schwann's customer also, and also LOVE the beer battered cod - seriously awesome batter flavor on that stuff! We primarily buy that and the frozen chicken breast filets (unbreaded). The chicken breasts are great for me because I cannot stand having to clean chicken skin, fat, etc from store bought chicken (totally grosses me out to the point I can't eat it if I have to clean it; just a weird thing I have). These come out ready to cook/thaw, and I love that I can grab exactly what I need out of the bag for quick meals.

Another thing they have that I like is the bags of bow tie pasta with veggies. I use that with a box of store bought pasta noodles and make cold pasta salads in the summer with Italian dressing, or in broth soups.

We do also buy the veggies, and occasionally get ice cream, but really try to avoid junk food, so I avoid the sweet section of the catalog. But I love the convenience of the delivery, and that value is worth the slightly higher price to me, though I find the huge bag of chicken breasts to be a great price for what you get.

JoCoJenn, I don't eat chicken but my dh does and we recently discovered the amazing and crazy inexpensive rotisserie roasted chicken at Costco recommended highly by a friend so we bought it. It is fresh and according to my dh delicious. It is perfect when we are tired or short on time. He gets 2 - 3 meals from it and it costs $4.99. My dh doesn't know how they do it and he swears it is so tasty and fresh. Last night we went to Costco and got one they just that second made piping hot and he enjoyed it for dinner at home. Cannot beat the taste or price. LOVE Costco.

I never heard of Schwans though until this thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results