shape
carat
color
clarity

Doctors--Should I get this checked out?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m looking for some advice from medical doctors.

I have several raised birthmarks on my body, mostly on my torso. They are typically round, and puffy, only a couple millimeters large. I''ve had them my entire life.

One of the birthmarks on my back was itching me several days ago, and when I scratched at it, it broke open and bled quite a bit. It''s around the size of a .75 ct RB. DH cleaned and bandaged it, and said it looks like the actual birthmark peeled away from my back.

It has been itching me a lot since, but I haven''t been scratching it. It started bleeding again this morning, unprovoked. It bleeds enough to fill up about half a tissue with blood before it stops.

Now, should I be concerned that this is cancerous or something? I had a suspect birth mark a couple years ago, and my dermatologist told me to remember that cancer is ugly, so nice round birthmarks are not as likely to be anything to worry about. It''s the itching and bleeding that has me worried here, though.

I hate to make an appointment if I''m just overreacting. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I
Date: 2/9/2010 10:52:49 AM
Author:Haven
I''m looking for some advice from medical doctors.

I have several raised birthmarks on my body, mostly on my torso. They are typically round, and puffy, only a couple millimeters large. I''ve had them my entire life.

One of the birthmarks on my back was itching me several days ago, and when I scratched at it, it broke open and bled quite a bit. It''s around the size of a .75 ct RB. DH cleaned and bandaged it, and said it looks like the actual birthmark peeled away from my back.

It has been itching me a lot since, but I haven''t been scratching it. It started bleeding again this morning, unprovoked. It bleeds enough to fill up about half a tissue with blood before it stops.

Now, should I be concerned that this is cancerous or something? I had a suspect birth mark a couple years ago, and my dermatologist told me to remember that cancer is ugly, so nice round birthmarks are not as likely to be anything to worry about. It''s the itching and bleeding that has me worried here, though.

I hate to make an appointment if I''m just overreacting. Thank you in advance for your advice.
I do not mean to laugh in your obviously serious thread but ONLY a pricescoper!... I''m not a doctor, but did you injure yourself in that area? Try any new perfumes or detergents aor anything like that?

I don't want to scare you, but that happened to my mother and it ended up being skin cancer. It was on her chin, she had it removed and it left a gaping hole in her chin. She had to get cosmetic surgery to repair that.

She is ok now, but she waited a while to go in and to get it looked at, which might be why they had to take so much of it.

I would say go in and be safe!

P.s. not a medical doctor. Just paranoid.

P.p.s she had the same thing happening with the bleeding too

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Haven.

I''m NOT a doctor, I just wanted to chime in with my own experience with birthmarks, etc.

I had a mole on my back; and over time it got bigger. The doctor looked at it, and removed it in his office that day. Luckily, it came back benign. The Dr. told me there were many things to look for with skin marks such as growth, shape of the mole as in symmetry, and color.

I think with moles/birthmarks etc, it is just always best to get them checked out by a professional.

Little Monster

Shiny_Rock
Haven,

I''m not a doctor -- but in nursing school we were told that a mole or birth mark that has multiple colors to it, an irregular shape, pain/itching/discomfort, etc. or any significant changes over time should get checked out. I would get them looked at especially since it seems like something has changed - it had been there for a while but is now bothering you...

just my .02

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Haven, I am also not a medical professional, but do also have moles/birthmarks on my body. From what I''ve always understood, if anything about a mole changes (color, shape, size, feeling), it is always recommended to have it checked out asap.

I Googled "itchy mole" and everything that comes up says it could be a sign of melanoma, and to go to the dr as soon as you can.

I hope it turns out to be nothing, but it''s always better to be sure.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Haven, my sister had a birthmark/mole thing on her back growing up. When she was a teenager, she got it checked out and they removed it. I can''t remember if it was because it NEEDED to be removed or was just a precaution.

I''ve always heard that if there is a CHANGE in how something like a mole presents, you should have it checked out. If yours is bleeding, that sounds like enough of a change to me. Go get it looked at. It may be absolutely nothing and you''ve spent an unnecessary morning sitting in a doctor''s office reading old magazines, but you''ll sleep better at night.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone else, have it checked...at the very least, it won''t bother you anymore if you have it removed!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, first off: "It''s around the size of a .75 ct RB." sign of a true diamond fanatic
3.gif

But in all seriousness, you should definitely get this checked out. Any time there is something abnormal going on with your skin, it''s best to have it looked at right away, and probably get a biopsy.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone.

I just called and my dermatologist can squeeze me in this Friday, thank goodness. Normally we have to book a month in advance.

I was hesitant to call because I tend to be a bit overly concerned whenever something *might* be related to cancer, so I didn''t want to rush in to the doctor if there was no real cause for alarm.

Let''s hope it all turns out well. I''m going to have her look at all my other birthmarks just in case, too.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I would go in right away to have it checked out. Chances are it is nothing at all, but it is always best to have these things checked by professionals, especially when there is a change going on with it. I also had a laugh at the .75 pendant comment, I could totally picture it better than if you had said millimeters or something!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha ha on the RB reference. I had my audience in mind, ya know?

Now I''m getting worried--is Friday too long to wait? Should I call around and see if some other doctor could work me in earlier?

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I think Friday should be fine. If it is good news or bad news, three days is unlikely to make a difference apart from your own piece of mind.

ETA: Is there any chance it could have been disturbed? Like, could you have reached it to scratch it in your sleep? Do any of your clothes touch it? Did you bump into something? I am guessing that the bleeding wasn't actually unprovoked, because something had to break the skin. I would try to think about it and maybe avoid possible causes if you could. I know the last cancer mole scare I had, the mole was irritated because the inseam from pants was rubbing it. I would have never thought that could matter, but the doctor said there was enough friction to disturb it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best of luck, Haven! Hope everything is okay.

It''s better to have this stuff checked every few years out to be safe. I''m one of those people who waits till the last minute to go to the dr. and finally did have a full check-up of all marks/freckles/moles on my body. I have an annoying mole in my armpit, of all places, that I tried to get removed. The dr. said it is safe so it would be "cosmetic" to remove it and would cost about $700 so I''m stuck with it.
37.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 11:55:15 AM
Author: katamari
I think Friday should be fine. If it is good news or bad news, three days is unlikely to make a difference apart from your own piece of mind.

ETA: Is there any chance it could have been disturbed? Like, could you have reached it to scratch it in your sleep? Do any of your clothes touch it? Did you bump into something? I am guessing that the bleeding wasn''t actually unprovoked, because something had to break the skin. I would try to think about it and maybe avoid possible causes if you could. I know the last cancer mole scare I had, the mole was irritated because the inseam from pants was rubbing it. I would have never thought that could matter, but the doctor said there was enough friction to disturb it.
You''re probably 100% right, kata. It had been itching me originally, and it started to bleed after I scratched at it the first time. I wouldn''t be surprised if it hadn''t healed correctly, or if I scratched it in my sleep last night to make it bleed again today.

It''s so scary to see all that blood coming from a tiny little birthmark. I''m really glad I scheduled an appointment for Friday.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, the same thing happened to me last week and I wrote it off as dry skin. I have many moles on my torso and go to my dermatologist every other year or so. She''s removed any she thought looked unusual and all were benign. Last week I scratched one and it''s been bleeding quite a bit since then (my lordy, moles REALLY bleed quite a bit!) I just figured my skin was dry from the winter, but maybe I should make an appt. too. Be sure to keep us updated, Haven!

I would probably just keep your Friday appt. with your regular dermatologist. It''s not that far away and she knows your history.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Haven, while you are getting it checked out why don''t you just get rid of it. I had a mole shaped like a football about 4 inches long on my lower back since I was a small child. When I was in my 20s I went to a dermatologist because I just wanted it removed. I thought better safe than sorry. I don''t know why my mom did not have it removed when it first appeared. I guess back then no one was really concerned with skin cancer.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I am a doctor.
Two things: if there is a family history of melanoma or skin cancer you should definitely have it checked - and do regular checkups.

Strangely enough, it is not the size that defines probability of melanoma. A very dark mole, even a tiny one, should be watched for any changes.
In general, you did right to schedule an appointment. To alleviate your fears, to have a dermatologist check all your birthmarks and to hear his talk on melanoma or skin cancer.

Mine also prescribed me this anti-aging cream...

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Not a doctor, but I think it''s definitely better to get it checked out. Glad you made the appointment.

My dermatologist has told me to get all birthmarks and moles checked at least once a year, and to come in if anything changes size/shape/color. Hopefully what''s going on with you is nothing serious - but better safe than sorry, and if your doctor tells you it''s nothing you can stop worrying!
1.gif
Let us know how it turns out.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, I love your size reference!

Second, it''s always a good idea to get these things checked out. If you''re worried about it, you really won''t have peace of mind until a doctor tells you everything is a-okay. It''s likely nothing to worry about but best to have it checked and let the trained professional make the call.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks again everyone for chiming in. I''m really glad I made the appointment now.

NEL--I don''t mean to alarm you! It probably is just dry skin in my case, too, especially considering the time of year.

I''ll let everyone know how it goes.

socool--I''ll ask about having it removed on Friday. The thing is--I have TONS of these guys all over my torso alone. I also have a couple on my face, and all over my arms. Maybe my doctor will just remove the largest of the bunch.

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
glad you''re getting it checked out haven. good luck at the appointment!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
ok, i''ll bite, i am a medical doctor.

any mole that changes: grow, bleed, become irregular in outline, change color, need looking at.

most will be benign even then, but you don''t want to miss a melanoma.

you did the right thing haven.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 3:31:52 PM
Author: rosetta
ok, i''ll bite, i am a medical doctor.

any mole that changes: grow, bleed, become irregular in outline, change color, need looking at.

most will be benign even then, but you don''t want to miss a melanoma.

you did the right thing haven.

Another doctor here, but I have nothing to add to this! Any change in a mole or other skin lesion = get it checked out.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I had to chuckle at the .75 RB reference.

I''m glad you''re getting it checked out so that you can relax and enjoy our Saturday GTG!!

I used to joke with my daughter''s father that I wasn''t going to have a baby, but a big mole was just going to plop out. Her Dad had over 200 moles (according to him an ex-girlfriend counted them ::::gag::
5.gif
Anyway, I don''t think it''s ever an over-reaction to have them checked out.

My daughter goes to a special dermatologist every year to have a full body mole check and if anything is iffy, it gets removed.

You did the right thing. One of my favorite female vocalists who died too soon makes me one paranoid Mommy Bird.

P.S. Did you check our meeting planning place?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh good--the doctors even agree! Thank you for posting, Docs, I feel really good that I''m going in, now.

Miracles--Ha ha on the giant mole baby! I''ve seen pictures of your daughter, she''s about as far from being a mole as one can possibly be--she''s GORGEOUS! Off to check the GTG details . . . Can''t wait! I''m wishing you a very safe flight in.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I''m very mole-y and my dermatologist always preaches that I need to observe "Melanoma Monday!" Each Monday I''m supposed to do a full body check, top to bottom, to check for any changes in moles (color, size, appearance) and to take note of any new ones.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 12:38:57 AM
Author: EricaR
I''m very mole-y and my dermatologist always preaches that I need to observe ''Melanoma Monday!'' Each Monday I''m supposed to do a full body check, top to bottom, to check for any changes in moles (color, size, appearance) and to take note of any new ones.
Ha ha--mole-y. I''m definitely moley, too! I''m going to heed your advice and start doing some regular checks. I have so many, though, it''s hard to notice if they''ve changed at all. Maybe I should take pictures.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 12:51:55 AM
Author: Haven

Date: 2/10/2010 12:38:57 AM
Author: EricaR
I''m very mole-y and my dermatologist always preaches that I need to observe ''Melanoma Monday!'' Each Monday I''m supposed to do a full body check, top to bottom, to check for any changes in moles (color, size, appearance) and to take note of any new ones.
Ha ha--mole-y. I''m definitely moley, too! I''m going to heed your advice and start doing some regular checks. I have so many, though, it''s hard to notice if they''ve changed at all. Maybe I should take pictures.

When I started dating FI, I noticed that he had a number of moles, and one that was really strangely shaped... I started doing a mental inventory so that I would notice changes, and I keep saying that I am going to take some pictures. When he cut his hair the other day, I excitedly checked for his hair mole, which is only visible with a fresh haircut. It''s funny to me that I am obsessed with his moles... that''s love I guess!
3.gif
He thought it was a little odd when I told him about it a few years ago... I was doing it secretly for 4-5 years!
9.gif

Hope your appt goes well Haven!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
DH has lots and lots of moles. I am always checking them out for him, and keeping an eye out. He has one that changed recently (turns out its a wart on his chest
14.gif
). But either way, it''s not a bad idea to have your DH check out the one''s on your back you may have, as he will probably be able to get a better look, and watch for changes.

And I mean, while he''s shirtless and i''m "checking out his body" it sometimes can lead to something more...
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results