carat
color
clarity

Do You Whistle?

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy|1388510674|3583842 said:
AGBF|1388459598|3583525 said:
Not everyone can whistle. I think that being able to do so is rather an accomplishment, although I might be annoyed if I had to hear mindless whistling or mindless humming for hours. On the other hand, I have gotten used to hours of mindless rap and hip hop in the car, so I doubt it! ;))

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

true! I was thinking I like hearing whistling too! My dad is a dear soul so I miss hearing him whistle in the mornings (he is alive but I don't live w/them, hence no morning whistling).

Crown, I love that song, the only one I remembered about whistling was the Andy Griffith! lol

Hey Skippy! I well know that Andy Griffith Show whistle. I like it also.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I said above that my mother's whistling in the grocery store used to embarrass me, but she definitely did not have a nervous tic. She is just a happy person, and back then people used to compliment her on it and everyone knew her as a sweetheart who didn't have a nervous bone in her body. Maybe you are thinking of a particular whistler or whistlers over the years who have made you uncomfortable, Momhappy? Sincerely curious.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I whistle :-o

My father whistled ALL the time, to anything & everything, including my piano practice which at the time really pee'd me off :D But we lost him horribly when he was only 58, which is now 12 years ago, and we all miss that whistle. Funnily enough my 4 year old daughter is a huge whistler??!!! She whistles to everything & has done since she was about 2 1\2. He would have LOVED her to bits :love:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a list of what, "Rolling Stone" magazine considered to be the best fifteen "whistling songs" and listened to some of them. I also read the comments written by people who pointed out which great songs had been left off the list.

The whistling in this song isn't the strong, beautiful whistling done by Bing Crosby or the man who does the theme to, "The Andy Griffith Show". It could never compete with my Uncle Bob's. (He could even warble!) But I still find it charming. It is done by Otis Redding in his, "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay", which I love.

"Sitting on the Dock of the Bay"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmUhYSr-e4

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh...and one more. Just to show you that whistling ain't a thing of the past. I actually like this song. Look at how cute those young men are! Of course I have no idea what they are saying. ;))

Pumped Up Kicks...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTZ7iX4vTQ

Deb/AGBF

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could! I used to be able to whistle simple tunes, but I've totally lost that skill. I remember whistling to the neighborhood mocking birds and getting them to respond!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
crown1|1388517082|3583926 said:
momhappy|1388514207|3583880 said:
I can whistle, but I don't. It's annoying (typically) and people who do it routinely likely have some sort of nervous "tick" in the form of whistling.

This seems a little harsh to me. I do not think people who routinely whistle necessarily have some sort of nervous "tick". While I can not say all don't I do know some whistle for pleasure, when they are happy or whistle a tune the same as one might sing. I can whistle but until this thread had not for a very long time. I tried just to see if I still could. I was able to whistle a tune, no one was annoyed as I am here by myself. I just did a search on whistling and found there is even a language. I believe it has 4000 words. Whistling has been used as a means of communication in many instances. Anything can become annoying. I am glad there are folks who are joyful enough to whistle and if it becomes annoying one can always ask the whistler to give it a break. Just my opinion and you are entitled to yours.

In what way is it harsh? I didn't say that everyone who whistles does so because of a nervous tic. I said that in some cases, if someone whistles routinely, there could be a nervous tic involved. I agree that there could be other factors involved with whistling (like a generational thing, whistling for pleasure or to convey happiness, etc.). Tics are not necessarily a bad thing, they are not that uncommon, and they rarely require treatment of any kind. They are simply uniform, repetitive, involuntary movement of a muscle or muscle group (and they usually involve the face, neck, or shoulders). Whistling is actually a common "vocal tic" - others in this category include snorting, coughing, humming, etc. I have a very good friend that hums almost all the time (not humming actual tunes/music, but a sort of humming sound). His humming sounds are greatly exacerbated in times of nervousness/stress, which is typical of a nervous tic.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1388520601|3583972 said:
I said above that my mother's whistling in the grocery store used to embarrass me, but she definitely did not have a nervous tic. She is just a happy person, and back then people used to compliment her on it and everyone knew her as a sweetheart who didn't have a nervous bone in her body. Maybe you are thinking of a particular whistler or whistlers over the years who have made you uncomfortable, Momhappy? Sincerely curious.

Nope, I don't know of anyone in particular who routinely whistles. As I mentioned in my above post, whistling is a fairly common vocal tic. Also, certain levels of anxiety/stress/nerves in any given person is a normal part of life. To say that someone is nervous/anxious is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal human emotion.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. Thanks, Dr. Google!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
sorry I misquoted therefore I deleted

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I DETEST when people hum or whistle. It invades other people's sound space. I have a very busy life and a very painful body and don't need/can't deal with any more noise (in the broad sense) input.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1388596831|3584354 said:
Ok. Thanks, Dr. Google!

Is this directed at me? I'm not even sure what that means :confused: I was just answering your question about whether or not I knew a whistler that irritated me. One of my degrees is in psychology, so I have a tendency to babble on about that sort of thing if that's what you mean, but I'm sorry if you don't like my posts.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting input from everyone about whistling! I can't whistle at all.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1388601350|3584373 said:
Ok. Thanks, Dr. Google!

Is this directed at me? I'm not even sure what that means :confused: I was just answering your question about whether or not I knew a whistler that irritated me. One of my degrees is in psychology, so I have a tendency to babble on about that sort of thing if that's what you mean, but I'm sorry if you don't like my posts.

Just saw this, sorry! I was being facetious, I don't think my humor translated. I did not know you had a psych degree, but that explains your detailed responses in the thread regarding nervous tics. I was curious why you found whistling (in a nervous form rather than actual performance) annoying, mainly because I used to be embarrassed/annoyed by my mother's habit of doing it, and also because I have a close family member who exhibits some tics and can aggravate people around her. Your first post on the thread grabbed my attention simply because it didn't give a reason (not that it HAD to) beyond whistling being a nervous tic. I find your posts interesting but sometimes they leave me wanting to know a bit more about why you have certain opinions. :wavey:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1388698867|3585041 said:
momhappy|1388601350|3584373 said:
Ok. Thanks, Dr. Google!

Just saw this, sorry! I was being facetious, I don't think my humor translated. I did not know you had a psych degree, but that explains your detailed responses in the thread regarding nervous tics. I was curious why you found whistling (in a nervous form rather than actual performance) annoying, mainly because I used to be embarrassed/annoyed by my mother's habit of doing it, and also because I have a close family member who exhibits some tics and can aggravate people around her. Your first post on the thread grabbed my attention simply because it didn't give a reason (not that it HAD to) beyond whistling being a nervous tic. I find your posts interesting but sometimes they leave me wanting to know a bit more about why you have certain opinions. :wavey:

Ah, okay. No worries - I never take anything on here too personal. Thanks for your explanation =)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i whistle. Often. I dont do it out of nervousness. usually if im bored, or in a good mood. or daydreaming. I try not to do it loudly except in the car or my house or car.
My go to is the part from Kill Bill where Elle is going to kill Beatrix at the hospital. dont meant to, but its whistled in the movie, so its easy to remember.

Im in my mid 20's. I never thought of it as an age thing, but you guys are probably right. Im sure on average is.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I can whistle just enough to call the dog, but no more, and it's taken me years of practice to be able to sound a couple of notes. This amuses my husband to no end, as I am rather musical (play flute and sing and have a good ear) and the two notes I whistle are so flat as to be just awful. I guess they get the dog's attention and that's what matters, right?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results