shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you wear your ering to work?

redroze1

Shiny_Rock
I got a 1.5 carat ering after 9 years of marriage and 2 kids. I'm in a senior position in a corporate environment. At work i notice married women at my level and above don't wear their erings. A few do but they're the minority and around 1 carat. Most wear either a thick band with or without diamonds, or a few don't wear any rings at all! I started wearing just a thin diamond band and notice a few things. The younger and engaged or single women don't sneak peeks at my ring anymore (cause I don't wear it), also I feel more relaxed and comfortable as meeting room lighting makes it look super sparkly and thus I catch some distracted glances at it when I wore it.

I love my set but I wonder if it distracts people in a way that removes my credibility. I'm sure the other senior women also have nice erings they choose not to wear too.

Do you wear yours at work and why / why not?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 1.5 carat as well and I wear it to work. I don't think other people think much about it one way or another. I get comments occasionally about how sparkly my diamond is but honestly I wear it because I enjoy seeing it. I think you should do what you are comfortable with but I'd wear it.

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
I work in health care and work with body fluids especially blood all day long. It even becomes an aerosol and to be completely honest I am covered in it by the time i go home. So no, I do not wear an ering, wband, necklace, or earrings to work. I don't want to contaminate them and I really don't want to risk reducing the integrity of my gloves by wearing rings.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I don't wear mine to work but not for social reasons. I have a physical job where my ring would almost certainly be damaged if I wore it. Instead I wear a plain Cartier Trinity ring, which I find so much more comfortable to be honest. It's scratched up to all hell. I joked with my husband the other day that I doubt many people wear Cartier as their "beat up" ring but I love it so much! I only wear my real set when we go out to dinner or something like that. I love it, I really do, but if I would have known all those years ago that I would hardly wear my real set, I would have preferred we save the money for something else.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do. I am not in an environment that would be damaging to my ring. People have commented, all positive, but did make me feel a little weird at first b/c most people either aren't married or have smaller rocks. But I just kept wearing it, and when people get used to it, they won't think twice about it if I don't. At least that's what I tell myself. The other part is that if I paid that much for it, I'm going to amortize the value per use. :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1434254056|3889000 said:
I don't wear mine to work but not for social reasons. I have a physical job where my ring would almost certainly be damaged if I wore it. Instead I wear a plain Cartier Trinity ring, which I find so much more comfortable to be honest. It's scratched up to all hell. I joked with my husband the other day that I doubt many people wear Cartier as their "beat up" ring but I love it so much! I only wear my real set when we go out to dinner or something like that. I love it, I really do, but if I would have known all those years ago that I would hardly wear my real set, I would have preferred we save the money for something else.

Your job is awesome, but I wonder how many of your critters would try to eat your ring if they saw it light up and sparkle? My cats adore my stones and they don't have sharp beaks :bigsmile:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1434254919|3889004 said:
sonnyjane|1434254056|3889000 said:

Your job is awesome, but I wonder how many of your critters would try to eat your ring if they saw it light up and sparkle? My cats adore my stones and they don't have sharp beaks :bigsmile:

Ha! You have a great memory. Actually I left the zoo 18 months ago so I no longer have to worry about my ring behind eaten, just broken. I now work for a whale-watching company as a naturalist, so I have to use ropes to tie up the boat, chemicals to clean, climb metal ladders to access different areas of the ship, etc. It's not quite as violent as the zoo but there are many, many opportunities a day to knock my poor stone loose so I keep it at home.

Here's a photo of one of my buddies at the zoo taking a fancy to my Cartier since you mentioned it. You're right, I could NEVER have worn my real ring or earrings at the zoo because the birds love anything shiny!
img_2017.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh congrats!! (Albeit a year and a half late!)

Birds to whales - that's a jump! You've been there a year and a half now though so I'm assuming you like it so far ::)

That is an awesome photo!!! I'm trying to imagine a scenario wherein I came up with a photo like that from work... The closest I'm coming is the raccoon perched in the dumpster at the back of the parking lot :bigsmile:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1434256760|3889008 said:
Oh congrats!! (Albeit a year and a half late!)

Birds to whales - that's a jump! You've been there a year and a half now though so I'm assuming you like it so far ::)

That is an awesome photo!!! I'm trying to imagine a scenario wherein I came up with a photo like that from work... The closest I'm coming is the raccoon perched in the dumpster at the back of the parking lot :bigsmile:

Raccoons are awesome - but would almost certainly steal your jewelry :)

Thanks for the congratulations! My education is as a marine biologist. The birds were just a fun 5-year detour but now I'm back to what I intended originally.

Sorry for the thread jack!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I do. But as soon as I start work, I take them off as I wear gloves. I am fortunate that I have a desk to store them in.

I drive to and from work, so I enjoy my rings in the car and also at lunch times.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I did work outside the home, I wore my rings. It was never an issue, all the other married ladies had their bling on too (office environment).

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't. I work in a healthcare setting where jewellery is really frowned upon. We're allowed a wedding band but no rings with stones, watches or necklaces. My tiny diamond studs just about pass so I'm still wearing them, everyone needs a little bit of daily bling....... On the plus side, because I don't wear the ring regularly, DSS has not set in!!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS LOVE that pic of the bird trying to steal the Cartier- it has good taste!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always worn rings to work, e-rings or otherwise. However, I would only wear the ones that are not too showy/blingy, with the exception of my 1.19ct EC that is my 40th birthday present to myself.

However, I felt the EC was too blingy for workwear when I was working in manufacturing facilities, even though it was set in a simple bezel setting with no stones, and had a smaller EC ring made with a 0.48ct diamond for workwear instead.

I am now in an office-based environment, and can dress better and wear my bling, which is a nice change from a dreaded navy blue polo shirt as uniform for the past 5 years. I can wear my nicer workwear, clothes as well as jewellery wise, and do not feel out of place or inappropriate.

DK :))

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have a 1.5 ct as well and I do wear it to work. I work for a title company in a small town and could care less what others think about my ering. All the other ladies in the office have probably 1/3 ct. 80's style engagement rings, but I have never felt out of place with mine, I don't think they care one way or another about my sparkle factor. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always. I work in healthcare and I wear gloves as necessary if I am touching somebody. Otherwise my work is non invasive and not tough on my hands in any way. I love wearing my ring.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Nope! I don't wear my wedding band either. I am a RN in an intensive care unit and its frowned upon to wear anything other an a simple plain band (they really prefer us to wear nothing!). I bought a 3mm plain rose gold band that i wear to work.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I wear my 1.81 ct to work, our boardroom lights make it especially sparkly. I live in southern California where that size is not that uncommon, nor does it cause people to gawk. I did get a lot compliments when I first got it around my 10 year anniversary, but mostly from men. I think the size of my wrong also fits my social economic status and my stature, so I don't feel self conscious. I do leave it home when I travel for work, but that is a whole other story....I want my bling to be safe for my kids in case anything happens to me.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work in a corporate environment too and also find that a lot of women in senior positions don't wear ERs. I'd say there are a few reason a lot of them don't wear the rings. Divorce; gaining weight so rings don't fit but never bothered to resize; never liked the original ring; ring doesn't fit current lifestyle but not important to reset or upgrade; tuition or houses are higher priority.

There are some women whose rings are spectacular and get worn daily. They are usually into jewelry and I do find myself getting distracted in meetings occasionally by the bling. I do wear my 2.32 almost daily and it does get noticed. I'm also the first one new jewelry gets shown to :naughty: Can''t say any of it affects my credibility.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find the amount of bling one wears vary significantly amongst functional groups, in that those who "get out more" such as Sales and Marketing tend to spend more time and efforts in the way they look, whilst those who are "techs" less so, and I belong to the latter group.

DK :))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yes, I wear my jewellery. As do all the other women--and men I work with. I know your question was about erings--but I did include men in my reply since that tends to be the jewellery they own (watches also).

cheers--Sharon

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do wear my erring and all my jewelry, really. I work in an elementary school. The years I worked in the Autism program, I was more careful, though. No dangling earrings and usually no necklaces. It wasn't worth the chance that a student having a hard moment might grab hold and pull.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Almost never, and I almost never wear any ring in general really. A lot of negative comments are made about it when I do wear them "I could sell that and pay my mortgage for years!" "This place surely paid for that when they should be using that money on us--that's not fair!"(which I reply with a comment along the lines of "seriously?! I was married and had this before I worked here! And my husband might have a job that can afford things yknow ?!), besides that there's too much need to dig in file drawers in a way that would damage a ring and potentially snag a ring and hurt my hand. I've had to climb around in the back file closet for old records (we go back to 1860!!!) and often have to several times a week, so it's just not conducive to rings or jewelry there. I also don't dress up much.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes. Sometimes I don't because I don't feel like it and sometimes I don't due to the manufacturing location I have to visit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results