shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you want cellphone calls allowed during flights?

Do you support in-flight cellphone calls?

• Yes

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 92.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't mind if I was allowed to talk on my cellphone, but I don't want anyone else bothering me with their loud conversations. :knockout: :sun:

Seriously, I'd vote, HELL NO!

I'm afraid it is inevitable because of money to be made.

I put in earplugs the moment I park my car at the airport and don't take them out till I get into the rental car at my destination.
Along with carrying lots of water, earplugs really lower the stress of flying.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm ok with people texting in flight, but no way yakking on the phone. Just no. How much more awful can flying become???

We've talked about kids on flights, drunks on flights, child slappers on flights, why is this even a thought?

Here goes them that flies' last bastion of peace and quiet.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The airlines will probably charge us $45 extra to sit in cellphone-free rows.

Then they'll charge people who want to use their phones $45 extra to sit in those rows.

A real win win for everyone. ;-)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone will then further capitalize by making their airline company emergency cellphone use only, though, yeah?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1385107209|3561176 said:
The airlines will probably charge us $45 extra to sit in cellphone-free rows.

Then they'll charge people who want to use their phones $45 extra to sit in those rows.

A real win win for everyone. ;-)

You got it, Kenny! :evil:

Flying is enough torture without listening to other people's drivel the whole way.

--- Laurie

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have a cellphone jammer I could borrow? :naughty:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When cell phones are allowed for talking purposes on flights I will drive everywhere. I can't imagine the horror of this...

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I said no, and not for the normal reasons of not wanting a plane to crash. I think we're beyond that technology. I said no because I think it is narcissistic and egotistical of us to demand such petty things as cell phone use in flight. Yes it's convenient, but guess what, there was a time when we didn't have cell phones, and we had to find a pay phone, or use a phone at a public place of service if we wanted to make a call. We once had to do such astonishing and excruciating things as ::Gasp:: READ to keep ourselves occupied instead of Facebook, play games, or call and text 24/7. I just feel like we as a society needs to step back some, and learn to enjoy the things around us a little more. I thoroughly loved my 12 hour flight overseas when I went. It meant I got to read an entire book AND watch King Kong twice. I might not have watched that movie otherwise. This was in 2006 so bear with me on the King Kong thing lol.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To text, reply emails, surf the web and other quiet online activities, YES.
To gossip, chit-chat, have a conference call, business call or whatever else you want to call it, NO.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the idea of listening to another person's phone calls on a flight just makes me sick.
i'm tired of hearing everyone go on and on about their life, sales pitch, etc.
anything but voice would be ok.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1385128942|3561240 said:
When cell phones are allowed for talking purposes on flights I will drive everywhere. I can't imagine the horror of this...

Totally agree. On subways you can often receive/make mobile phone calls at many stations/in transit and it is awful. People talk too loudly thinking they are the only ones on the train that matter and we are all a captive audience. I cannot even begin to imagine this nonsense on a long plane flight. Too much room for abuse. Texting/emailing is sufficient IMO. My goodness can't people entertain themselves for a few hours without their darn phone? :knockout:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way!!!! It's enough to listen to that in Restaurants, movie theatres... On a long flight?? Oh god!!!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
a resounding NO

Can you imagine

Three rows in front of you... The guy who thinks he's whispering what he's gonna do to his girlfriend when he gets to town

two rows behind you... The woman telling her mother, for the fourth time in three minutes, that little Jessica won the spelling bee.

The person in line for the bathroom trying to get their client to buy the nice bungalow on Elm street. They enter the bathroom talking and exit still talking about the bungalow on Elm.

Not to mention the group of teenage girls talking to each other in the row next to you. By the way Bobby is clearly in love with Heather.

:errrr:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been on 3 flights in the past month where cell phones were allowed to be on but in airplane mode only. All electronics were allowed to stay on as long as they weren't transmitting. I thought this change for cell phone use still kept it confined to airplane mode. Ah geez, what torture it'll be if people can use their phones for calls in flight. People have a tendency to talk loud on cell phones. Can you imagine being confined in a tin can with a cacophony of braying mules?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No to cell phone calls on flights for the same reasons: it's really annoying listening to other peoples' conversations.

I'm fine with texting as long as it's required that the sound notifications for sending/receiving are turned off...it could become a nightmare if phones are buzzing and beeping left and right.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read and article that the equipment would cost $3-4 MILLION PER PLANE to accomplish this because of the technical issues associated with keeping continuous conectivity at that speed/altitude. Great. I'm sure that won't raise airline ticket prices across the board at all... :rolleyes:

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Dee*Jay|1385144356|3561352 said:
I just read and article that the equipment would cost $3-4 MILLION PER PLANE to accomplish this because of the technical issues associated with keeping continuous conectivity at that speed/altitude. Great. I'm sure that won't raise airline ticket prices across the board at all... :rolleyes:

geez i hope no airlines elect to do this nonsense! i really dont want to hear other peoples' convos in flight!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't think of anything that sounds more awful on a flight. I bet Bose would be happy about it. They will sell a many more sets of noise canceling head phones.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NO, No and did I say NO????

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, no, no.
Please.
No.

I don't fly often, but when I do, it's clear across the country to visit family. Five hours of listening to half of any one's conversation makes me shudder.

One time in the past couple years, my plane landed, but there was a delay in getting to the gate. The woman in front of me called home and proceeded to talk to her child. Within twenty minutes, I, and every one within hearing distance knew EVERYTHING that had happened while mom was away.

Please, don't make me, or anyone, listen to that for hours. PLEASE.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
May we hear from posters who voted, Yes?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1385144356|3561352 said:

Hopefully they'll find a way to sell connectivity individially like they do internet connectivity.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
I travel by planes, trains and bus. People talking on buses and trains is rarely a problem. Much ado I believe.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
AN0NYM0US|1385209570|3561642 said:
I travel by planes, trains and bus. People talking on buses and trains is rarely a problem. Much ado I believe.

On trains, you can walk around more. Buses, not so much. But the biggest difference is that stress levels are higher when flying. There's what whole "the plane can drop out of the sky" thing. And even before you get on the plane, it can be a pain to get through security, blah blah blah. Customer satisfaction isn't great for most carriers, so people get on planes more cranky to start with .

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1385172493|3561544 said:
May we hear from posters who voted, Yes?

I'm one.

I would not want to fly anywhere on a commercial airliner with people talking on phones BUT as they are private companies, I believe it should be up to each company to make their own decisions. Passengers will book flights accordingly. It is pretty likely that you'd have most flights limited by the airline to text/e-mail/web only -- so anything not audible to other people.

Oh, cell phones work just fine for internet and phone service in airplanes without modification up to at least 3,000 ft -- My flight instructor took a call from his FI one day and another instructor had no problem browsing the internet for details of a TFR then following up with a phone call to the flight school.
Higher than that and I'll have to wait for DH to wake up. He's flown up as high as (and higher than) the airliners go. I'm pretty sure he said there was no problem with stuff working.

ETA: I've also been out with other people much higher and cell phones still work just fine for data and voice with no added equipment. I can't recall the height exactly, but I think we were near 8,000+ ft

Another interesting note -- Pilots are using smart phones and pads for navigation and communication. Officially, you have to have other GPS but unofficially a lot of people are using these as their primary navigation. Same with cell phones. You are supposed to use the radio, but there are rules in place to allow cell phone calls in case of radio failure.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1385256119|3561879 said:
[.............., so people get on planes more cranky to start with .

I resemble that remark!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results