shape
carat
color
clarity

do you think drinking plastic bottled water is healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
would you buy bottled water if you had excellent tap water ?

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 11:46:05 AM
Author:Dancing Fire
nope.

My water is pretty good but it has a bit of an aftertaste. So we buy bottled.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I drink tap water.

Bottled water creates excessive waste, and when the plastic is heated, in can release toxins into your water.

And even if YOU don''t accidentally leave the water in the car, who is to say that during the shipping process, it was not exposed to extreme heat?

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I buy one large bottled water and then refill it from the purified water tank. I also do not buy it because of the garbage waste.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I drink bottled water. I have to drink it because we have such a high iron content in our water. If we had decent water, then I would consider it but for now we drink bottled water.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmmm,

DF are you my DH?
33.gif

We live in the country and bored our well last year but I still buy bottled. That said we have not gotten around to getting the water tested so technically we shouldn''t drink it if it is not boiled, anyway. He "hinted" I should get the water tested so I can stop buying bottled. I want to, but having bought bottled for years I feel I might have a mental block....
15.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I have a thing for Fiji bottled water...so yes...I''d still buy it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2009 11:52:18 AM
Author: elledizzy5
I drink tap water.

Bottled water creates excessive waste, and when the plastic is heated, in can release toxins into your water.

And even if YOU don''t accidentally leave the water in the car, who is to say that during the shipping process, it was not exposed to extreme heat?
elle
i agree!! didn''t think you were that smart.
9.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 12:02:33 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

I drink tap water.

elle
9.gif
Not surprising... that would require you to think.
11.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
We have a well and a whole house water filtration system. It is the best water I have ever had. Maybe I should go into business and bottle my own.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a reverse osmosis water filtration system in my kitchen and own 5 BPA-free water bottles from REI. I fill those every time I go out!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2009 12:04:07 PM

Date: 5/21/2009 12:02:33 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

I drink tap water.

elle
9.gif
Not surprising... that would require you to think.
11.gif
25.gif
nap time !!
24.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I know. We''re bad (bad Bia!). We want to get some type of filtration system because I don''t like reusing the plastic in the brita container. Any ideas?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 12:13:28 PM
Author: Bia
I know. We're bad (bad Bia!). We want to get some type of filtration system because I don't like reusing the plastic in the brita container. Any ideas?
Reverse Osmosis

We have the GE Smartwater. The filters are expensive to replace, but after drinking the water, they are EVERY BIT worth the cost.

ETA - it has to be installed under the sink. My DH is savvy to that. If you're not familiar with all those pipes and valves down there, you can find directions online!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually prefer tap water, I find bottled water tastes salty and revolting ( probably my weird taste buds...)

E B

Ideal_Rock
I drink tap water.

And even if YOU don't accidentally leave the water in the car, who is to say that during the shipping process, it was not exposed to extreme heat?

This.

We use a refrigerator water filter. It only needs to be replaced once every few months.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhhh.... NO!!!! I drink ionized water at a ph of 9.5, stored in a BPA free container!!!!

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I''m one of those people.
I think it''s much healthier as opposed to opening a can of pop thank you!
I agree that excessive waste is created, but is it really that much more than a soda bottle/can? Both can be recycled, and because of that, wouldn''t both create about the same amount of waste...?
Now, at home, I have nothing against tap water... I have a Britta filter pitcher that makes it taste fine.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, even though its recycled, millions of tons of carbon dioxide are released into the air from making those plastic bottles.

Those plastic bottles from 1 year of production, use enough oil to fuel 100,000 cars in that same year.

My work JUST did a presentation on the eco-damage caused by bottled water.

If coke came out of the tap, I''d stop buying pre-packaged soda as well.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 12:13:28 PM
Author: Bia
I know. We're bad (bad Bia!). We want to get some type of filtration system because I don't like reusing the plastic in the brita container. Any ideas?
I have a faucet mount filter in the kitchen for drinking water. It works great and the only installation is unscrewing the aerator and mounting the filter--the filters last MUCH longer than the Brita pitchers, too.

EDT: Here is the website for the one I use www.instapure.com

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 12:29:52 PM
Unfortunately, even though its recycled, millions of tons of carbon dioxide are released into the air from making those plastic bottles.

Those plastic bottles from 1 year of production, use enough oil to fuel 100,000 cars in that same year.

I''m not claiming that recycling eliminates the waste (lol, oh to be that simple... ;-) ), but I do believe it''s comparable to any other individually packaged soft drink or sports drink.
To be fair, this topic has inspired me to go buy a reusable water bottle ;-)

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 12:37:40 PM
Author: oneandahalfrock

Date: 5/21/2009 12:29:52 PM

I''m not claiming that recycling eliminates the waste (lol, oh to be that simple... ;-) ), but I do believe it''s comparable to any other individually packaged soft drink or sports drink.
To be fair, this topic has inspired me to go buy a reusable water bottle ;-)
Oh I know, i just try to eliminate waste where I can. I don''t HAVE to drink bottled water... so I don''t. Unfortunately, soda doesn''t work the same way.
39.gif

What I wouldn''t do to have coke running through to a tap on my sink...
18.gif

If you are inspired, then I am happy!
2.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info ladies!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
We buy bottled water. I wish we didn''t, and can''t wait to get a house so we can install a filtration system. We did have a Brita water pitcher but I have no idea where it went.

I hate it because we DO recycle. We have a corner in our house where we keep the recycling but TGuy only takes it out once in awhile so we have these bags of water bottle. Argh! As if our house doesn''t look like a junkyard already.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I wouldn't buy it even if I didn't have excellent tap water (which I don't). We have a filter pitcher (either brita or pur, can't remember) that we keep filled in the fridge, and carry BPA-free camelback bottles filled with that water.

The only time I buy any kind of bottled water (other than in a pinch), is for mint water. I love it. Only get it every couple of months or so because it's expensive and I don't like contributing to the waste problem caused by water bottles.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 12:43:16 PM
Author: TravelingGal
We buy bottled water. I wish we didn''t, and can''t wait to get a house so we can install a filtration system. We did have a Brita water pitcher but I have no idea where it went.

I hate it because we DO recycle. We have a corner in our house where we keep the recycling but TGuy only takes it out once in awhile so we have these bags of water bottle. Argh! As if our house doesn''t look like a junkyard already.
TG - we''re renting an installed a reverse osmosis filter. You run it though the pipes and have the faucet mount come out where the dishwasher top thing sits above the sink (take the d/w device out - the d/w still works!). When it''s time to move, everything will be replaced as it was before. We''ve done the exact same thing in every house we''ve owned. Everything fits back into place.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I drink tap water.

And even if YOU don't accidentally leave the water in the car, who is to say that during the shipping process, it was not exposed to extreme heat?
Exactly!
I carry an aluminum water bottle filled with tap water. We have a filtration system that attaches to the faucet.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I drink tap water.

Couldn''t have said it better. Although I will admit I''m guilty of having to buy a bottle of water here and there when I forget to bring mine to work.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m totally fine with our tap water. I will export it to the car if I remember. Usually I have bottled water for portability, and end up buying them when I''ve forgotten to stock up from home, which is too often. I''m not happy with the amt. of bottles going into the environment. We recycle, but still. Also, I can''t seem to get used to drinking water out of a metal container at all even though it''s supposed to be better for you. I take my bicycle water bottle instead.
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results