shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think dogs are more respected than cats and why?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I got both a puppy and kitten this year. I have to say that I love them both equally and think of them as equal but different. My kids feel the same way, except my oldest who adores the cat more but yet still loves the dog too but the cat gives her more affection than our pug.

Anyway, the reaction when I got our pug was very postive and friends, family, neighbors, etc got very excited for me. But when I got my cat, the sweetest ragdoll ever I got a very different and mostly negative reaction, almost like "why would you get a cat?" And negative comments like "they don't like people, and they show no affection etc". In fact my kitten follows me from room to room and unless she is asleep somewhere, she likes to be where people are. And often she is sleeping where one of my kids or I was last.

My oldest who as I said prefers the cat was shopping with me the other day for pet food and the cashier commented we were buying both cat and dog food. He said he has a dog but also 3 cats and prefers the cats. My son said him too and they got into a conversation about how cats don't get enough respect.

I never thought about it much until I got my kitten.

Have other cat owners noticed this and why do you think it is?

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Cats have a reputation for being aloof, which people often find difficult to relate to. Dogs have a reputation for being goofy, friendly and eager to please.

I have no real opinion either way, but that's just what I've observed. People look for qualities in a pet that they would seek in a close friend, and some automatically tend to assume that those qualities can only be found in a dog.

Cats can be very therapeutic and great companions!

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I think Nashville is right about cats' reputation. I have had a lot of dog owners tell me that my cats act like dogs because they like to play, come when their names are called, and like to hang around humans. I guess a lot of people that aren't familiar with cats think that cats are boring and just sleep all day.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dogs want to please you.
Cats expect you to please them.

Kenny, donning flame suit. :errrr:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some people prefer a more demonstratively affectionate pet. Cats are independent. The poem "To A Cat" by Swinburne sums it up.
Here is part of the poem:
"Stately, kindly, lordly friend,
Condescend
Here to sit by me, and turn
Glorious eyes that smile and burn,
Golden eyes, love's lustrous meed,
On the golden page I read.

Dogs may fawn on all and some
As they come:
You a friend of loftier mind,
Answer friends alone in kind.
Just your foot upon my hand
Softly bids it understand."

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
It drives me crazy when people react that way towards cats. I had a cat (persian) who was the most affectionate animal I have ever had (and I have had TONS). He was laid back, loving, and very kind to everyone he met. He never bit or hissed at anyone during his lifetime. I finally got a dog for the first time ever and she acts the same way my cat did. I think it really depends on the breed of the cat/dog and also how the cat/dog is raised.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I'm a dog person, so yes, I get much more excited when my friends get a new dog or puppy.

However, many of my friends are cat people and get more excited about new cats than dogs, so in my experience cats don't get less respect on the whole - plenty of the cat people say negative things about dogs as well. I guess it comes down to whether there are more dog people than cat people out there - I don't know the answer to that one.

I have rabbits - now there's a species that doesn't get much respect :nono:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
my dog slobbers all over me and doesn't understand what, "leave me alone" means.

my cat knows that when i say enough, i mean it. they will walk away and come back later when i'm not in a bad mood or busy.

My cats also know that when i want to be alone and the dog doesn't leave me alone, it's time to come up and swat the dog or bite him in the butt so he runs away. he's a big dog, but terrified of the cats... always kissing up to them by grooming them and rolling over.

I love my dog, and he's a good dog, but for the life of me, i can never understand why dogs get more respect... the kissing up and ass-kissing is so not attractive.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty said:
I love my dog, and he's a good dog, but for the life of me, i can never understand why dogs get more respect...

I think that makes you more of a, "cat person".

Deb/AGBF
:read:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen said:
I'm a dog person, so yes, I get much more excited when my friends get a new dog or puppy.

However, many of my friends are cat people and get more excited about new cats than dogs, so in my experience cats don't get less respect on the whole - plenty of the cat people say negative things about dogs as well. I guess it comes down to whether there are more dog people than cat people out there - I don't know the answer to that one.

I have always loved rabbits. I had three domestic growing up and two wild. They were some of my favorite pets. The wild ones were ones our dogs cornered as babies. I loved holding them next to my heart to get them used to my heart beat.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wrote out a reply but forgot to save it. It disappeared so I'll add my thoughts again.

Yes, I think dogs are respected more than cats. Dogs DO more than cats. I think they're more playful (in general) and you can just do more with them. They're more fun and interactive, in a lot of ways. My sister has two dogs and when she tells our family about what they did on a particular day, we all laugh and say "how cute!" When I tell my family stories about what my cats did on a particular day, however, I don't get the same reaction. It's more like, "aw, cute. Now, about the dogs..." My family is all about dogs, by the way.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that dogs may be more popular because who doesn't want an unquestionably loving minion following them around? Heck, you could be a serial killer chopping up boddies and the dumb thing will sit there and smile at you.

You could be writing a million dollar check to a children's orphanage and your cat will still look at you with disdain.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny said:
Dogs want to please you.
Cats expect you to please them.

Kenny, donning flame suit. :errrr:
hahaha - no flames here!

Even still - I much prefer cats. I love cats. I have cats even though I am allergic to them. I actively dislike dogs, generally speaking. There have been exceptions. I don't hate them. Puppies are great and a well mannered dog that just comes over to say hello will get genuinely affectionate attention from me. But in general? They smell.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen said:

:( I love rabbits - I have had them in the past, but now I am more allergic to them than anything else. Even being in a room where they live will give me an asthma attack and I don't have asthma!!! Sometimes I get red blotches without even touching them! It's so sad, there's nothing softer :(

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehrabehra said:
I think that dogs may be more popular because who doesn't want an unquestionably loving minion following them around? Heck, you could be a serial killer chopping up boddies and the dumb thing will sit there and smile at you.

You could be writing a million dollar check to a children's orphanage and your cat will still look at you with disdain.

hahaha.

Reminds me of a NON-PC joke.
What's the difference between a husband and a dog?
Lock both in your trunk for an hour ... when you let them out your dog will be glad to see you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe said:
Dogs DO more than cats.

Yes. There are many more people whose lives have been saved by dogs than by cats. Dogs sniff out bombs and victims of eartnquakes. They can discover drugs. They are used in wartime and by the police. They have saved children in their homes from falling objects and dragged masters who have fallen unconsconscious due to heart attacks. Of course they do more!
I just got an e-mail from a friend a couple of nights ago showing a German Shepherd leaping over a car at lightning speed and bringing down a man who had just fired a gun. (It was still smoking.) He was faster than the police were at drawing their guns and shooting and less lethal, too.

But that isn't why I prefer dogs to cats. What dogs accomplish has nothing to do with why I love them. Their being helpful to humans is just, in my eyes, icing on the cake. I just love dogs on their own doggy merits. The things others hate about them, I love. I love dogs for their doggy essence. I used to lie down with my Lab on his bed and imbibe it! I wish I had him back.

Deb/AGBF

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I totally used to think I was a dog person, all the way, until I got my cats. Now, I'm pretty sure that between my lifestyle and personality, I'm way more of a cat person. And they do get a bad rap. Even my mom says, Oh but they shed and they're such a hassle because they get into everything (well mine really does) - of course, I would take my kittens' inquisitiveness and keeping my counters clear of any food items to handling super energetic un-house-broken puppies :razz:

But then again, I do find myself defending my cats by saying, "Well Bengals are very dog-like in terms of being with people and being affectionate", so I don't know what that says about me ;-)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I do, and I'm not really sure why. I've been thinking about this myself.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a dog or a cat, but it is a general perception that dogs are more affectionate than cats, cats are more aloof. Again, that is perception and I have no pet to back that up. Cats get a bad rap.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two of our three cats are very outward and demonstrate their affection for us at every possible opportunity, just like our dogs (they even lick/groom us) ::)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Yssie said:
Two of our three cats are very outward and demonstrate their affection for us at every possible opportunity, just like our dogs (they even lick/groom us) ::)

ours do too! and if we walk by w/o paying attention to them, they will grab you w/ a paw and bring it to the top of their heads! they love asking for kissies and when we say, "kissy kissy?" they do the headbutt thing to whatever is closest to them.. hand, leg, head... it's adorable. :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny said:
Yes, I do, and I'm not really sure why. I've been thinking about this myself.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was strange. I didn't know who "respected" dogs or cats. The idea of "respecting" them, as opposed to loving them, being protective of them, etcetera, was foreign to me.

However, as the thread progressed and someone pointed out that dogs "do" things, I started to think of the many tasks dogs perform in the service of people. Understanding the many ways in which dogs serve people makes me realize why the term, "respect" might be used for a dog. A dog can perform heroic actions as I mentioned above. A dog can perform daily work if it is a hunting dog or herding dog or guard dog or any other kind of working dog. A dog serves man and assists him with his chores, both the mundane and the perilous. I am very clear, after participating in this thread, on why dogs have man's respect.

Doesn't anyone remember the story Stone-cold put up just a couple of weeks ago?

hangout/judy-the-dogged-pow-who-defied-the-japanese-t148263.html

Deb/AGBF

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
This old post popped up on the side when I was reading something else. I think when people don't care for cats often it's because they just haven't met the right cat yet. Cats are a little more subtle with their feelings at first and it can take them a little more time to get to know someone. But my cats also follows me from room to room ( like you would expect a dog to do) , they meet me at the door and comfort me when I'm down etc.

Also, it's not macho to like cats.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Cehrabehra|1282782027|2691194 said:

I think my pets have identity issues.

My dog couldn't give a care less about me. He's totally aloof. Doesn't want to sit with you. Doesn't come when called-- *might* look your direction if you're lucky.

My cat is a clinger. Comes when called. Sleeps right next to me despite years of trying to kick her off the bed. Is sitting at the door when I come home.

Right this minute my dog is sleeping under the bed and my cat is at my feet.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dogs are hierarchical pack animals, like us. Cats are solitary hunters, like us.

Just depends on which one meshes with your personality better. Some people value the social/hierarchical over individuality.

I love them both. Now. I couldn't be called a dog person until lately. The thing that makes dogs good in one way - protectiveness - also makes them not so good: I was bitten by a neighbor's dogs as a small child, and so was wary of them for most of my life. I still am in many ways, but our quirky lab is just the best person ever. He loves you without being a needy pest. In many ways like a cat. And I just do love cats.

I know I don't totally trust people who say they hate cats. I don't understand a person who "hates" any animal really, but I think it says something dark about your personality if you dislike cats. It's like, what? You can't deal with independence? With an animal who doesn't have YOU as the bright hot center of its universe? I just find that really weird.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1333706542|3164785 said:
Dogs are hierarchical pack animals, like us.
This is on the money. Probably why many people relate easier to dogs, and because it's much more convenient to have a pet that (usually) does what it's told.

In my experience people who dislike cats have never lived with one. Once they have, they change their minds. They are definitely not aloof or cold. Cats have been domesticated for thousands of years -- the Egyptians worshipped them & kept them as pets, mummifying & burying them with their owners. They need affection & company as much as dogs do, but approach it differently. Know any cats who are left alone nearly 24/7 while owner works, then plays after work? They get neurotic, just as a dog would.

I love cats & dogs equally; my house is presently crammed with multiples of both. There's no difference in their need for attention & love, but cats, with no hierarchical instinct, do not ask for approval. I'm sure they think my dogs are slobbery idiots for doing so.

Men often think it's un-macho to like cats -- maybe because they get nowhere ordering them around. DH was that way when we first dated, until I growled, "My cat is part of the bargain. Get along or buzz off." The first time Kitzer, God's sweetest creature, cuddled up behind his head on a chair, curled her tail around his neck, & purred in his ear, he was mush! He's adopted every feline he could since then.

--- Laurie

P.S. Minou -- I LOVE that poem. Got to copy it & keep it.

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock
I think cats are misunderstood. This is a simplistic statement, but they are not dogs - they are cats and should be respected as such. Cats, of course are not as immediately responsive as dogs, however, our cats clearly know their names and will come when called - or at least look up at you when they hear their names. I have been a dog person all of my life until at the age of 48, but got my first cat from a rescue. My Avatar is Willow, my very first cat and our "top" cat. Since Willow, we have acquired two more rescues - Jade-Lin our Seal Point Siamese and Tia, our totally black cat. All have different and wonderful personalties. In addition, we also have three dog rescues - we love ALL of them equally; both dogs and cats. It's just a matter of respecting their individual species. JMHO

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Most of the people I know here are cat people, so no I don't think so.

My parents have always had Siamese and they are pretty clever - open doors, raid the fridge, play fetch with toys, walk on a lead etc. Now they have an Eygptian Mau and she pretty much rules the house after a mere 3 months in residence. All have been stupidly soppy and affectionate - one would even try and climb on any available dry bit of you when you were having a bath. Several wanted to share beds - one used to wrap his paws round my neck and put his head on the pillow - and purr all night!

I will admit that I am NOT a dog person in the slightest, I was bitten by some white terrier thing as a kid and avoid all except a few I know personally. I quite like things like pointers, dalmations and greyhounds, but little yappy breeds that snap round your ankles or those with squished up faces that look like they can't actually breathe properly (not keen on cats that look like that either) just make me think ick. I also really dislike the smell of dogs.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
Dogs are more respected because they are more useful to humans (hunting, seeing eye dogs etc). Cats CAN be trained, but even trained circus cats aren't very useful for anything other than entertainment.

There is the crazy cat lady stigma associated with owning only cats. Someone above said they don't trust people who say they "hate" cats. I agree.

I've lived with dogs and cats. I adore cats (mine and other people's). I am OK with dogs, but I'm not sure if I would ever own one. The one I lived with was at my parent's house. I think the breed had something to do with why I didn't care for her that much. I know other dogs that are better behaved, but they are still somewhat annoying. I don't like the slobber, I think they smell, I don't like picking up huge turds, they are not so cuddly as cats are... I think that there's a lot of work and money associated with owning a dog and I don't really think the benefits outway the rewards for me. With cats I think that the minimal amount of work and money I put into owning them makes their compansionship worth it.

People think that cats don't have personality like dogs, but I think it's because they haven't lived with a cat. My cats adore me too. They come when called. They get into things, they play, wrestle each other, play with iPad, snuggle, purr and are just generally cute. I can leave them alone all weekend and I don't have to come home to let them out.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
ETA: that said, despite my fear of them and not particular liking, I did stop in the middle of a very busy road and carry a scarlet coloured pointer that everyone else was ignoring into the car and take it to the nearest vet - turned out to be tan coloured and had been hit by a train. He lost his tail, and needed a lot of care, but went to see him a couple of months later at his owners house - he belonged to a little boy who had been given him as a present by his mother who had died of a brain tumour a few months later.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results