shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you take your pets to an annual exam?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ours go only as needed. I keep a very close eye on teeth, feel all over for lumps, and watch for any other signs of issue. They go in immediately if issue noticed or behavior off.

The vet would rather see them every year but always agrees they are super healthy. I have only lost two animals. A cat at 19 years old and a dog at 20.

Vaccines are done but less frequently on a schedule I worked out with our vet. We don't do doggie parks. No boarding. Cats indoor only.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. My dogs get all their puppy shots then I just take care of them at home for the rest of their lives. I don't get them rabies shots because they are tiny indoor dogs and if they got bit by something rabid, that would kill them to begin with.

We also have accumulated three outdoor cats. One I did get fixed to help keep down the cat population, she's allowed indoor/outdoor. A male stray was getting sick during the winter and I was able to do some online research and order him some antibiotics that absolutely saved his life.

I myself don't go to the doctor unless it's something so serious I might need surgery!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1443464478|3932824 said:
Wait, a related question - does anyone actually register their pets with their county?????

My dog is registered with the town but county? No. Yearly is 10 dollars, which IMO isn't a big deal. That also means if she gets lost, the police are more willing to help out. She's also microchipped. Being I have a sight hound, I figure its worth it. She's good at listening, and I work on her recall every day, but still, it only takes that one time when she decides she doesn't want to listen which can set of a chain of unstoppable events.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone so much for your input :wavey:

She was OK except for showing a little bit of redness around her gums. :))

My cats are strictly indoors but they are allowed on the patio so the could potentially come into contact with some creature...so I am always mindful of that.

JDDN - I might just start a thread on that - who knows it may bring some interesting answers. 8)

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008, thanks for starting this thread. It gave me some things to think about since one of mine is due for shots this month. It was interesting to read all the comments. :wavey:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I'm so glad it helped you ruby!

And I do the same as many others here do - discuss each and every vaccine with the vet to make sure my pets really need them. It's the main reason I picked this vet when I was looking for a new one. (most of the others I had called were more regimented - at least when I was calling around - but that was like 10 years ago - I think it's different now.)

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1444101952|3935259 said:
Oh, I'm so glad it helped you ruby!

And I do the same as many others here do - discuss each and every vaccine with the vet to make sure my pets really need them. It's the main reason I picked this vet when I was looking for a new one. (most of the others I had called were more regimented - at least when I was calling around - but that was like 10 years ago - I think it's different now.)

Yes, it truly did! Thank you! I called to find out if doing a titer is an option for my senior dog. The vet agreed that there is no sense in loading him up on more vaccines at his age plus he's been having some issues. He will still get an overall wellness exam though. Our other dog just started acupuncture so I plan to ask if we should titer her too. Lots of things to think about in this thread which I appreciated!
Thanks again! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results