• Never.

Votes: 82 80.4%

• Total voters

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

I used to, when I was much younger.

I admit, I'm kind of judgmental about it...and would likely not want to hang out with people that smoke.

But I'm also kind of judgmental about people who drink too much.

At the same time - and I don't know enough about pot vs alcohol - but if they are on the same "level" as far as the side effects they cause - no reason why one is legal or not the other.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I think that smoking pot is a choice, but homosexuality is not.

I've never smoked pot or anything else so far :bigsmile:

Since I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year, though, I may choose marijuana in the future for pain control.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
The pot smokers that I know don't hide it - there's no closet smoking. I've been at upscale parties, charity events, etc. and they will pass a joint right in front of me. These are upper-class, wealthy, professional people.
I should also add that many of the pot smokers that I know, are not exactly happy, stable individuals. I'm certainly not saying that everyone who smokes pot is a miserable mess, but my experience is that those who use it regularly, do so because they have some issues that are mental/emotional in nature.
I also have a close family member that smoked pot for many, many years (from about his 30's to almost retirement age). He is a brilliant man with a professional job and for most of his adult life, he swore that pot was completely harmless. He started to experience some memory loss (in addition to some other symptoms) and he attributed it to routine pot smoking (no, he does not have alzheimer's). He quit and won't touch the stuff.
Of course, the same could be said of other vices (like alcohol) and sure, I know plenty of people who abuse that too. The issues I have with regular use is that it masks reality. It's as though an individual needs an "escape" of some sort and that's just not something that I feel that I routinely need in my life. Please note that I am not addressing medicinal use - just recreational use.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, never have. No interest.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've tried it a few times, SEVERAL years ago. Every single time I did, all that happened was I laughed uncontrollably for 5 minutes, then fell asleep. I obviously cannot function on the stuff.

Even if I did smoke it now, I'd never admit to it even on an "anonymous" forum...it's still illegal. ;))

Momhappy, the people I know who don't hide it are also in similar socioeconomic circles. No qualms about smoking in the open on their own property/boats/etc. I attribute their openness to being able to pay for the consequences should they ever get caught with it.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I don't but my best friend goes through life stoned every day.

I will say that now that now that NJ has okayed pot for medicinal purposes I have a joint hidden in for one of my really bad migraine days but Its been there for 4 months and I can't even remember where I hid it.

So not any time soon.

but they do say for headaches, MS, nautia and other ailments it really helps

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
I'd also like to add that similarly to alcohol, there shouldn't be a stigma in smoking every day. A glass of wine after work is not the same as waking up to a shot of whisky and then continuing to drink throughout the day. For any of the smoking working professionals that I know, which is more than a handful, they do it for the same reason people have a glass of wine after work. It relaxes them and they don't need very much of it.
Unlike alcohol, you feel it right away and it doesn't take very much. Do some people abuse it? Absolutely. Do some people abuse alcohol? Absolutely.

Also, the majority that I know who smoke regularly, use a vaporizer to lessen the harmful effects of smoking ANYTHING. I will always advocate that it's healthier than cigarettes.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1378665554|3516852 said:
I've tried it a few times, SEVERAL years ago. Every single time I did, all that happened was I laughed uncontrollably for 5 minutes, then fell asleep. I obviously cannot function on the stuff.

Even if I did smoke it now, I'd never admit to it even on an "anonymous" forum...it's still illegal. ;))
not if you live in Colorado.. :bigsmile:

makhro82

Shiny_Rock
Autumnovember|1378598530|3516462 said:
Yes, I do. Not everyday.

I was just newly diagnosed with MS, I fully intend on getting a prescription for medical marijuana to help with the insomnia that I deal with from the steroids I have to take when having an exacerbation.

/quote]

You kind of touched on both things I mentioned in my posts in the other thread.

My mom was diagnosed around the same age as you and in recent years there hasn't been much outside of marijuana that can help her.

As an oncology nurse you probably have lots of patients that smoke. When my 72 year old grandmother was going through the pain of pancreatic cancer and not being able to eat, marijuana significantly improved her quality of life. On morphine she was not able to be present but smoking allowed her some relief and the ability to be coherent.

For my mom I wish there were some alternatives because as her MS has changed over the years her cognitive abilities have become more impaired and I don't think the marijuana is doing her any favors in that area at all and we're constantly out of cereal!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Momhappy, the people I know who don't hide it are also in similar socioeconomic circles. No qualms about smoking in the open on their own property/boats/etc. I attribute their openness to being able to pay for the consequences should they ever get caught with it.

Ha. THIS. Getting caught with it much more fraught if you're a young black or hispanic male from the inner city. But then the wealthy can break quite a few laws with relative impunity.

There has never been any state-altering substance that I've been willing to break the law to get. The fact that so many people WILL break the law just to do that very thing, speaks volumes to me. Why are so many people so desperate to get high, or zone out? Alcohol, daily pot, prescription opioids, heroin (exploding among middle-class and affluent teens, BTW), or even antidepressants - you almost can't walk into a GP's office these days without him - after less than 15 minutes - saying you're probably depressed, and trying to send you out with a script for an antidepressant. We Americans are a pretty unhappy bunch it seems, and our national mindset seems to be to deal with life's problems by ingesting SOME sort of substance.

And no, I never tried it. Because it was illegal and I'm actually quite law-abiding, and because smoking anything is just nasty. And I never had any desire to seek it out, because I don't have a brain chemistry or personality that craves some sort of alteration. The people I've known who drank or did any kind of drugs regularly just because they really liked it, eventually ended up on some sort of brain med. My old college roommate figured out finally that all the drinking and drugging she did in college was an attempt to overcome depression she'd had since her teen years. (It took her longer because spotting depression wasn't in the playbook yet when we were young) Once she was on antidepressants, I don't think I've seen her have 3 drinks in a year.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
So, i voted "never" because I do not smoke. However, as a teenager, I definitely would have had to choose "daily". I was a bad girl...

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
ksinger|1378732162|3517193 said:

Ha. THIS. Getting caught with it much more fraught if you're a young black or hispanic male from the inner city. But then the wealthy can break quite a few laws with relative impunity.

As mentioned in a previous response, my high school bf was a pothead -- mind you, white male. He was in the wrong part of town, Jamaica, Queens, and aside from just being the only white guy in an entirely black neighborhood, he was not doing anything suspicious. Regardless, Narcs stopped him and illegally searched his person (I say illegally because there was no cause for suspicion except their prejudice) he unfortunately had a dime bag on him (for those not marijuana literate, that's a very small amount). He spent the night in jail. However, this did not make him stop smoking, just made him paranoid about carrying it on his person.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have tried it once just to see what the hoopla was about. I dislike it with a passion due to the ruckus it has caused on our marriage. My husband is one of those professionals (engineer held same job for over 12 years), who smokes it regularly, yet hides it from me due to my disdain for it: (the smell and social stigma and legality reasons). It is THE source of contention in our relationship, and I have often contemplated leaving him because of it. And that's all I'm going to say bout that. :nono:

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I tried it a couple times when I was young, enjoyed it but never did it again after that, to this day, so I voted "never". But I know many, many people who smoke it recreationally or medicinally, who manage just fine in their day to day careers and lives. I have no problem whatsoever with people using it responsibly (like with alcohol) and I'm glad it's been legalized for recreational use in my state.

MomInstyle

Shiny_Rock
Never had and never will though it's legal in WA. The smell gives me a headache.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1378752752|3517365 said:
I have tried it once just to see what the hoopla was about. I dislike it with a passion due to the ruckus it has caused on our marriage. My husband is one of those professionals (engineer held same job for over 12 years), who smokes it regularly, yet hides it from me due to my disdain for it: (the smell and social stigma and legality reasons). It is THE source of contention in our relationship, and I have often contemplated leaving him because of it. And that's all I'm going to say bout that. :nono:

Sorry to hear this, jaysonsmom - I understand where you're coming from (because I had a parent who smoked regularly and I hated it). If my spouse smoked regularly, it would likely be a deal-breaked for me.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
crown1|1378649677|3516753 said:
Autumnovember|1378623652|3516667 said:
crown1|1378615578|3516626 said:
Yes, I do. Not everyday.

I was just newly diagnosed with MS, I fully intend on getting a prescription for medical marijuana to help with the insomnia that I deal with from the steroids I have to take when having an exacerbation.

Let me point out a few things: I am not miserable and I do not smoke weed because I want to be "happy." I don't know if its a regional thing but I know of many, many highly successful people who smoke weed very often. I know doctors, tax lawyers, dentists, nurses, teachers, just to name a few. None of these people are "miserable." I say this because I saw a post in the other thread about how horrible it would be to have a surgeon who smokes weed perform surgery on someone. None of these people smoke weed before work. It also doesn't effect their success in the least bit. If anything, for some of them, it's made their success grow - I'll get deeper into that if someone feels like they need to hear it.

I am not a loser who sits home and smokes constantly with no job or no real future. I'm a successful 25 year old Oncology nurse who plans on going as far as I can with my education and becoming a nurse practitioner. I'm also far from dumb. I think there are many other things that would put someone in the "dumb" category.

I do everyday things you do. It has never impeded my life or made me do anything "stupid."

I've never felt out of control after smoking weed. Alcohol though, now thats a totally different story.

I have very close friends who do not smoke weed and none of us have any issue with the other for our choices. It's not for everyone. Some rather drink alcohol. Do what you want, I really don't care.

I am not passing judgment on you or any one else regarding smoking pot. I do want to offer my opinion regarding said smoking by doctors, tax lawyers, dentists, nurses, and teachers. The fact that persons who practice those professions smoke pot is not an endorsement for it as far as I am concerned. I do not think that because some individuals who practice those professions choose to do so that it makes it acceptable. How do you know they never smoke before work? The practice speaks for itself not on who does it. Kind of like the old statement, just because someone else does it, does not make it right for you.

An endorsement? What? Look...what is acceptable to you and me can be two totally different things. I'm not here to change anyones minds regarding the topic. I shared my own experiences and that is it. My thoughts are unlikely to change about this...

katharath and Kenny, I could not agree more with your thoughts. Completely on point for some of my own.

To be clear, I was not trying to change your mind regarding the topic. My only point was that whether one chooses to smoke pot or anything should be made on the facts of how pot or smoking anything impacts one's life and society. I was afraid that because a certain profession, one's family or friends do it was being used as a reason to think it ok. I have not chosen to smoke pot or anything for myself. I just don't see the value, but as I said in my first post I am not judging you or anyone else here for your doing it or opinion. I simply think that it needs to be weighed on an individual's choice not on what some groups of society are doing. I think it is near impossible for us to know if others are smoking pot, drinking alcohol, overeating, beating their spouse or children, being addicted to the internet or tv or anything before they go to work. I simply passed my opinion as you did yours. It is obvious that people do vary. Have a great day!

edited to add: I would be interested to know how it has made an impact on their success Thanks!

Right, I agree, it should be based on real facts and studies but the problem is that you can really find studies supporting both sides. Also, marijuana isn't necessarily "smoked" all the time. There are vaporizers that a lot of people who smoke regularly use. Marijuana can be put into muffins, cookies, chocolates, you name it. And it doesn't taste like weed at all either. I definitely don't think that someones decision to smoke should be based on what groups of society are using and I hope that is not how it came off. By saying that I know a lot of successful people who smoke, I was hoping to point out that a lot of normal "everyday" people smoke it and it doesn't necessarily mean its ruining someones life.

I actually sat down and thought some more about what people I know that smoke. It's way more than I actually even realized. Thought about it again and if any of these people are unhappy, unstable, or unsuccessful. None.

Without getting too detailed (although I really, really wish I could), the creativity that some of these people experience while smoking has led to some very serious growth within their professions. Its as simple as that. The professions of these people vary tremendously, too. Some of them benefit from the new ideas that come to mind when smoking which translates into their jobs.

I just want to say that I don't ever feel like I'm "zoned" out when I smoke. In fact, you'd probably never know if we were sitting in the same room.

I'm not particularly familiar with anyone being out of control, zoned out, or stupid when they smoke because nobody I know is ever any of those 3 when smoking.

Lastly, if I ever felt like it caused an issue with anyone I love, I'd stop. No question about it. I can stop at anytime I wish without any problem and actually, I have many times. Just because I felt like it.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1378769697|3517523 said:

Sorry to hear this, jaysonsmom - I understand where you're coming from (because I had a parent who smoked regularly and I hated it). If my spouse smoked regularly, it would likely be a deal-breaked for me.

Thanks, I'm glad someone can sympathize. I work much longer hours than my husband, and he is pretty much the primary care-giver to my kids, and if he smokes when he is "off the clock", this is usually when he is shuttling my kids around to sports practices and piano lessons etc. This is a HUGE deal-breakre, and I'm in therapy because he does see anything wrong with this scenerio, and thinks I'm the one that needs help because I'm letting something as innocuous as "pot" drive me insane....over 90% of couples who disagree on MJ use end up divorced. I am convinced we will become that statistic in due time.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1378771891|3517545 said:
momhappy|1378769697|3517523 said:

Thanks, I'm glad someone can sympathize. I work much longer hours than my husband, and he is pretty much the primary care-giver to my kids, and if he smokes when he is "off the clock", this is usually when he is shuttling my kids around to sports practices and piano lessons etc. This is a HUGE deal-breakre, and I'm in therapy because he does see anything wrong with this scenerio, and thinks I'm the one that needs help because I'm letting something as innocuous as "pot" drive me insane....over 90% of couples who disagree on MJ use end up divorced. I am convinced we will become that statistic in due time.

Like I mentioned earlier in this post, or the other, my college BF was a smoker. Being such a good girl, it was something I struggled with a bit - the stigma, people thought he'd "never amount to anything" (jokes on them, he's on a MUCH bigger salary than I get, despite graduating valedictorian, lol). Anyway, it was a point of contention for us at times too, but looking back I realised it was because he wasn't bowing to my expectations. I was more upset that he wouldn't stop because I said so, than the fact that he was smoking pot. I'm glad he shut me down and refused to change - it taught me an important lesson about 'people vary' and how my way wasn't the only way.

That being said, if we had stayed together and had a family, him doing it while responsible for my children would be a deal-breaker. Do what you wish, recreationally on the weekend or whatever, but not while providing care to my little ones. I can see why this is a very big deal to you. Hugs.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1378770759|3517533 said:
Yes, I do. Not everyday.

Let me point out a few things: I am not miserable and I do not smoke weed because I want to be "happy." I don't know if its a regional thing but I know of many, many highly successful people who smoke weed very often. I know doctors, tax lawyers, dentists, nurses, teachers, just to name a few. None of these people are "miserable." I say this because I saw a post in the other thread about how horrible it would be to have a surgeon who smokes weed perform surgery on someone. None of these people smoke weed before work. It also doesn't effect their success in the least bit. If anything, for some of them, it's made their success grow - I'll get deeper into that if someone feels like they need to hear it.

I am not a loser who sits home and smokes constantly with no job or no real future. I'm a successful 25 year old Oncology nurse who plans on going as far as I can with my education and becoming a nurse practitioner. I'm also far from dumb. I think there are many other things that would put someone in the "dumb" category.

I do everyday things you do. It has never impeded my life or made me do anything "stupid."

I've never felt out of control after smoking weed. Alcohol though, now thats a totally different story.

I have very close friends who do not smoke weed and none of us have any issue with the other for our choices. It's not for everyone. Some rather drink alcohol. Do what you want, I really don't care.

I am not passing judgment on you or any one else regarding smoking pot. I do want to offer my opinion regarding said smoking by doctors, tax lawyers, dentists, nurses, and teachers. The fact that persons who practice those professions smoke pot is not an endorsement for it as far as I am concerned. I do not think that because some individuals who practice those professions choose to do so that it makes it acceptable. How do you know they never smoke before work? The practice speaks for itself not on who does it. Kind of like the old statement, just because someone else does it, does not make it right for you.

An endorsement? What? Look...what is acceptable to you and me can be two totally different things. I'm not here to change anyones minds regarding the topic. I shared my own experiences and that is it. My thoughts are unlikely to change about this...

katharath and Kenny, I could not agree more with your thoughts. Completely on point for some of my own.

To be clear, I was not trying to change your mind regarding the topic. My only point was that whether one chooses to smoke pot or anything should be made on the facts of how pot or smoking anything impacts one's life and society. I was afraid that because a certain profession, one's family or friends do it was being used as a reason to think it ok. I have not chosen to smoke pot or anything for myself. I just don't see the value, but as I said in my first post I am not judging you or anyone else here for your doing it or opinion. I simply think that it needs to be weighed on an individual's choice not on what some groups of society are doing. I think it is near impossible for us to know if others are smoking pot, drinking alcohol, overeating, beating their spouse or children, being addicted to the internet or tv or anything before they go to work. I simply passed my opinion as you did yours. It is obvious that people do vary. Have a great day!

edited to add: I would be interested to know how it has made an impact on their success Thanks!

Right, I agree, it should be based on real facts and studies but the problem is that you can really find studies supporting both sides. Also, marijuana isn't necessarily "smoked" all the time. There are vaporizers that a lot of people who smoke regularly use. Marijuana can be put into muffins, cookies, chocolates, you name it. And it doesn't taste like weed at all either. I definitely don't think that someones decision to smoke should be based on what groups of society are using and I hope that is not how it came off. By saying that I know a lot of successful people who smoke, I was hoping to point out that a lot of normal "everyday" people smoke it and it doesn't necessarily mean its ruining someones life.

I actually sat down and thought some more about what people I know that smoke. It's way more than I actually even realized. Thought about it again and if any of these people are unhappy, unstable, or unsuccessful. None.

Without getting too detailed (although I really, really wish I could), the creativity that some of these people experience while smoking has led to some very serious growth within their professions. Its as simple as that. The professions of these people vary tremendously, too. Some of them benefit from the new ideas that come to mind when smoking which translates into their jobs.

I just want to say that I don't ever feel like I'm "zoned" out when I smoke. In fact, you'd probably never know if we were sitting in the same room.

I'm not particularly familiar with anyone being out of control, zoned out, or stupid when they smoke because nobody I know is ever any of those 3 when smoking.

Lastly, if I ever felt like it caused an issue with anyone I love, I'd stop. No question about it. I can stop at anytime I wish without any problem and actually, I have many times. Just because I felt like it.

I can typically tell when someone has smoked weed. It's not that everyone who smokes pulls a Miley Cyrus and dances around in latex underpants :lol: , but usually their behavior/demeanor is altered in some way. After all, isn't that why people smoke weed in the first place? To feel differently in some way? Then it makes sense that if a person is feeling differently, then they are acting differently too. Often times, the person who smokes only thinks that no one can tell, when in fact, others can (especially close friends and/or family members).
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that pot is the devil and that everyone who smokes it lives in their parent's basement. There are lots of successful, productive people in this world who function just fine and smoke weed socially, routinely, or even daily. It's just not my cup of tea and my experience with it is that it is used in conjunction with some level of dysfunction (and therefore, the weed is used as a crutch to make them feel better). Again, I am not addressing medicinal use of weed - that is an entirely different topic:)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1378773514|3517570 said:
Autumnovember|1378770759|3517533 said:
Yes, I do. Not everyday.

I can typically tell when someone has smoked weed. It's not that everyone who smokes pulls a Miley Cyrus and dances around in latex underpants :lol: , but usually their behavior/demeanor is altered in some way. After all, isn't that why people smoke weed in the first place? To feel differently in some way? Then it makes sense that if a person is feeling differently, then they are acting differently too. Often times, the person who smokes only thinks that no one can tell, when in fact, others can (especially close friends and/or family members).
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that pot is the devil and that everyone who smokes it lives in their parent's basement. There are lots of successful, productive people in this world who function just fine and smoke weed socially, routinely, or even daily. It's just not my cup of tea and my experience with it is that it is used in conjunction with some level of dysfunction (and therefore, the weed is used as a crutch to make them feel better). Again, I am not addressing medicinal use of weed - that is an entirely different topic:)

I think it depends on how much you're smoking. If you're smoking a lot in one sitting, I'm sure it would be more obvious. I'm standing my ground on not being able to tell. I'm referring specifically to myself. Family members and close friends wouldn't know the difference. For some others, I'm sure this isn't true.

For me its about just relaxing sometimes. The same way that some people like to drink a glass of wine after work....except I don't do it after work. Would you be able to tell if someone had ONE glass of wine?

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I was a big pothead before my son was born and swore it off until maybe 2 years ago. It really didn't do much for me--kind of made me paranoid. I tried i again when my arthritis got really bad and it didn't do much in the way of easing the pain.

My 56 year BIL died unexpectedly last month. Someone handed me an aluminum foil package and told me to put it in my purse. It was a bit of pot. I smoked it when I got home and it did absolutely NOTHING to alleviate any sadness or stress. All it did was make me tired and believe me, attendng the wake of someone you love who died unexpectedly will not be eased by a joint and I didn't ned anything that would make me sleepy. Haven't touched it since, have no intention of doing so in the future.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have a problem with people wanting to smoke recreationally or to relax. I do have a problem--much as I do with people who have been drinking--with driving behind a bunch of people who have been smoking. With alcohol, breathalizers provide a failure accurate measurement of a person's inebriation. Is there a similar measurement for marijuana use? I remember kids in high school smoking and then getting behind the wheel as it was "fun."

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Nope.

Never, and no thank you.

It's illegal.

EVen if it's legal, I won't, I don't need anything in my head except my brain.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1378568769|3516243 said:
I have a ton of wealthy, professional friends that smoke pot all the darn time. I'm amazed at how many people go through life under the influence of one substance or another (be it alcohol, weed, prescription drugs, etc.). In my opinion, it's clearly an indication of how truly miserable people are. .

This is pretty judgemental. There are A LOT of people who are on legal anti-depressants or other medications for various reasons and it's kind of lame to call them miserable. Spend a day with someone with MS and develop some compassion. Or spend the day with someone with cancer and see what a difference pot can make for them. My dad died from cancer before pot was legal to smoke here in WA and it was suggested he try it but he was too afraid to because he thought his life insurance might drop him. He was in EXTREME PAIN!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
AN - Sorry about your DX. Two friends I went to school with have MS and I recently met a third person. If you ever want to talk about it, you can message me over on FB.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
MC|1378840699|3518064 said:
I have a ton of wealthy, professional friends that smoke pot all the darn time. I'm amazed at how many people go through life under the influence of one substance or another (be it alcohol, weed, prescription drugs, etc.). In my opinion, it's clearly an indication of how truly miserable people are. .

This is pretty judgemental. There are A LOT of people who are on legal anti-depressants or other medications for various reasons and it's kind of lame to call them miserable. Spend a day with someone with MS and develop some compassion. Or spend the day with someone with cancer and see what a difference pot can make for them. My dad died from cancer before pot was legal to smoke here in WA and it was suggested he try it but he was too afraid to because he thought his life insurance might drop him. He was in EXTREME PAIN!

That's so sad about your dad. It really makes me feel bad just hearing that; I truly believe based on both what I've read and my own personal experience that MJ is great for pain.

I'll just go ahead and admit that I have used MJ specifically for pain. I was prescribed Vicodin after I broke my foot a few years ago, and it didn't do a whole lot for the pain. So I tried MJ; this is the only time in my life that I've ever tried it for pain, and I have to admit, I was actually SHOCKED at how much better it was at pain relief than prescription pain meds! Of course I'd read about it helping in this capacity but I'd never tried it for pain. It was very gratifying to find out that it was true! I only had a small amount but I used it for 2-3 days to get help get over the worst part. I really do wish it were legal so that it could be used and easily obtained for pain/medical reasons.

But then, I believe in making it legal for personal reasons anyway.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
katharath|1378841642|3518076 said:

That's so sad about your dad. It really makes me feel bad just hearing that; I truly believe based on both what I've read and my own personal experience that MJ is great for pain.

I'll just go ahead and admit that I have used MJ specifically for pain. I was prescribed Vicodin after I broke my foot a few years ago, and it didn't do a whole lot for the pain. So I tried MJ; this is the only time in my life that I've ever tried it for pain, and I have to admit, I was actually SHOCKED at how much better it was at pain relief than prescription pain meds! Of course I'd read about it helping in this capacity but I'd never tried it for pain. It was very gratifying to find out that it was true! I only had a small amount but I used it for 2-3 days to get help get over the worst part. I really do wish it were legal so that it could be used and easily obtained for pain/medical reasons.

But then, I believe in making it legal for personal reasons anyway.

Katharath - I'm glad to hear you found relief for your foot pain. Most pain pills don't really do anything for pain. Vicodin is a joke, IMO. It might work for some, but I have fibro and it doesn't even touch the pain. The only pain pill that ever worked was Percocet and I took half of one and spent the whole day pain free but feeling like I was going to throw up, so it wasn't something I could function on.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

If you'd care to read my other posts, I said on a couple of different occasions, that I am not addressing the medicinal use of pot. That is an entirely different subject as far as I'm concerned. If someone is in pain, sick, etc. then the pot serves a medical need not a recreational one.
I actually have spent a day with someone who has cancer (quite recently) - many days actually, and that person (my father in law) recently passed away. One thing that helped him was the use of prescription marinol (the prescription for pot in a pill form). Again, this thread is not about that - or at least my contributions to this thread are not.
Also, my statement above did not address those on legal anti-depressants (much like pot for medicinal use, that's a whole different subject). I was referring to those engaging in the illegal use of prescription drugs. I said repeatedly that my personal experience with pot was that I know of many people who use it daily because they are unhappy in life. I also said that I know of people who abuse prescription drugs (illegally) and alcohol much in the same fashion.
It would seem as though you either haven't read all of my posts or you missed my point. Either way, I've attempted to clarify.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
MC - thanks :). Sorry to hear about your fibro - I have a friend who has it as well, and she has some very rough days. I agree with you about prescription pain pills, for the most part. I've had several surgeries and various injuries so I've been prescribed them a few times. I know that they don't work well or even at all for certain types of pain that I've experienced (gallbladder attacks, and one severe attack of sciatica), although I know that they do help certain things for me (after surgery they've generally been effective).

I just think it would be nice for people to be able to use MJ for pain and not have to jump through hoops to make it possible. It is very helpful for certain conditions/types of pain- quite possibly more helpful than many people realize.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results