• No

Votes: 35 97.2%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand this is a personal and private matter.
Since this is an anonymous poll nobody will know how you replied, so please vote.
I'm curious, and many people enjoy reading poll results.

Vote Yes if you have dentures, anywhere from one tooth to full upper and lowers.
I'm asking about man-made removable teeth.

Vote No if you have all your natural teeth, or some natural teeth and some bridges, implants, fillings or crowns (IOW no removable teeth).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No dentures. 3 root canals and crowns and lots of fillings however.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had nightmares in which my teeth were just falling out of my mouth :shock: and my mother has always emphasised that I should look after my teeth, so I do pay them a lot of attention. Well, now...

During those late-teens years I collapsed into bed without cleaning my teeth far too often than was healthy after drinking far too many sugary alcoholic drinks on late evenings out, and I neglected to visit the dentist for about 4 years. When I went back, I went from having zero fillings to something like 10, and the dentist said he hadn't seen such loss of enamel on the back of my front teeth since treating a bulimic girl... :???: Oops.

Since then, brush twice a day, floss every evening! I have read that flossing also helps prevent heart disease, something about stopping transmission of nasties into the bloodstream, but that could just be rubbish :lol:

I hope to hang on to mine for as long as I can, just because it seems like dentures are a bit of a faff, expensive, and I'm not that keen on dental work!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny said:
I have had nightmares in which my teeth were just falling out of my mouth :shock: and my mother has always emphasised that I should look after my teeth, so I do pay them a lot of attention. Well, now... During those late-teens, early twenties years I collapsed into bed far too often than was healthy after drinking far too many sugary alcoholic drinks on evenings out, and I neglected to visit the dentist for about 4 years. When I went back, I went from having zero fillings to something like 10... :???: Oops.

Since then, brush twice a day, floss every evening! I have read that flossing also helps prevent heart disease, something about stopping transmission of nasties into the bloodstream, but that could just be rubbish :lol:

I hope to hang on to mine for as long as I can. My Gran was of the era where dentistry seemed to be somewhat less regulated - she had all her teeth out in her 20s due to gum issues, apparently, so wore dentures for the rest of her life!

No that is absolutely true. Flossing is imperative for good health. It helps reduce inflammation in our bodies. Good oral health is critical for good overall health. Keep flossing and brushing (gently) as that is a wise move for good health. :appl:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1433589292|3885911 said:
No that is absolutely true. Flossing is imperative for good health. It helps reduce inflammation in our bodies. Good oral health is critical for good overall health. Keep flossing and brushing (gently) as that is a wise move for good health. :appl:
Cool, thanks for the confirmation! :)

It seems that so few people actually bother flossing, going from the state of some people's teeth over here; that and the complete lack of exercise must surely at least partly to blame for the appalling level of cardiac problems we see.

But then this is Britain, we're supposed to have bad teeth ;-) :lol:

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
Not me, but I have a close friend who has some kind of dentures for her front two teeth because she was born with no adult teeth there. She is also a dentist, so if you have any specific questions, I could pass them along to her.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pushing 60 and still gots all of my choppers, except the wisdom teeth.

In boot camp got massive training on dental health maintenance and how keeping gums healthy is as important as keeping teeth healthy.
Flossing is perhaps more for the gums than for the teeth.
Most tooth loss is not from tooth decay, but from long-neglected and now-diseased gums releasing their normal tight grip on the tooth.

I'm disappointed that all ads I see are about a pretty smile, not keeping teeth for life.
I guess they know what they're doing.
People are vain and too stupid to look ahead 40 years.

30+ years ago I got my next big lecture from my new dentist.
His sales pitch was about how you will probably be less healthy with dentures since you'll avoid many healthy foods that require natural teeth to chew adequately.

I'm going to disagree on dentures being more expensive.
My SO has them and he spends WAY less on dental bills than I.
That one root canal I had recently was $2000, then another $1500 for the gold crown.
I think my SO's dentures was under $400, though the adhesive is costly and a life-long expense.
With dentures you're done, never again will you need a root canal, crowns, fillings, bridges, implants.
You're even free from the hassle of flossing.
I gotta admit, there actually is a certain attraction to that.

My SO now rejects many healthier foods, especially later in the day when the adhesive starts to fail.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try to keep my teeth as clean as possible.
I *LOVE* my Waterpik! I use it 2x daily.
Dentists always tell me that my teeth are in great shape.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my Waterpik too.

BTW my dentist recommends against them for two reasons:
1. Most people use them instead of flossing. They they are great at removing food between teeth. But for removing sticky plaque a jet of water is inferior to scraping the tooth with floss.

2. If you point the water jet towards the gum bacteria can be forced deep and actually cause infections.

My reply to his points are.
1. I still floss daily, in addition to the waterpik.
2. I'm careful to point the jet perpendicular to the gums.

My OCD process:
Rinse well
Clean tongue with tongue cleaner
Brush ... around 2 minutes, also brushing inside of cheeks and where the gums meet the cheeks.
Waterpick, I use RO water (to extend machine life by reducing mineral build up) and a couple tablespoons of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide for tooth whitening for pennies.
Floss
Brush again
Clean tongue again
Rinse well

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I have all of my teeth, except my wisdom teeth. They took those when I was 18.

I come from a family of not great dental health, though I'm not sure if part of it is genetics or economic. Probably a combination of both. I have several people with full dentures, and my mom has a bridge to replace I think 4 missing teeth. I'm actually quite terrified at the thought of having any teeth pulled (I was knocked out when the wisdom teeth came out). Between that and the recurring nightmares I have about losing teeth, I try and do the best I can to care for what I've been given.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
My 90-year-old father has his natural teeth and they are beautiful. Like me, he has some crowns and had wisdom and a couple of back molars pulled. He has always liked to brush and floss his teeth, but the difference is that his whole life he loved using toothpicks.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No dentures, one missing back molar, still have one milk tooth, 3 back molars have fillings, and I have no wisdoms (there are there apparently, however, they have not dropped down, and the dentist reckoned they are unlikely to show up now that I am 50).

DK :))

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm 37 and I do not have them, but my 35 year old husband has uppers. He had an accident when he was young that pretty much sealed his fate. He had so much drama with his upper teeth that he finally said the hell with it! So far he does really well with them :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sky56|1433706788|3886313 said:
My 90-year-old father has his natural teeth and they are beautiful. Like me, he has some crowns and had wisdom and a couple of back molars pulled. He has always liked to brush and floss his teeth, but the difference is that his whole life he loved using toothpicks.

Wow! Choppers that last 90 years.
Kudos to your dad!
That's inspiring!

It makes sense that toothpicks would remove plaque wherever they rub.

Sometimes I get tired of the daily dental duty hassle ... but your post has given me a little kick in the bootie.
Thanks for posting. :wavey:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't but my dad does.

I have dreams about my teeth falling out too-I read that it's anxiety about our appearance when we dream that.

I had perfect teeth until I got pg w/my first. After that it was at least one cavity every time I went and it's never stopped. Now I have issues w/my gums too, lots of sensitivity. I never had an issue w/the dentist until I got pg and started having cavities and then the sensitivity..now I have huge anxiety when I go, all tense and sweaty.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
packrat|1433719466|3886364 said:
I don't but my dad does.

I have dreams about my teeth falling out too-I read that it's anxiety about our appearance when we dream that.

I had perfect teeth until I got pg w/my first. After that it was at least one cavity every time I went and it's never stopped. Now I have issues w/my gums too, lots of sensitivity. I never had an issue w/the dentist until I got pg and started having cavities and then the sensitivity..now I have huge anxiety when I go, all tense and sweaty.

This could be a reaction to the numbing stuff they use. My dentist uses one that has epinephrine in it, and I was having a major reaction to it! I get really anxious, my heart races, and I feel very jittery. It also makes me feel like my gag reflex is working overtime, which is weird. How nauseous, as I don't feel sick to my stomach, but just in my throat. I mentioned this (after like the 10th time it happened) and he explained it to me, and that he also stocks another kind that would eliminate the reaction.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
27 years old, still have all of mine with the exception of two molars. One was knocked out in a rugby game and the other from a tug-of-war with a large Tiger Shark that went awry.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1433746737|3886464 said:
27 years old, still have all of mine with the exception of two molars. One was knocked out in a rugby game and the other from a tug-of-war with a large Tiger Shark that went awry.

Nobody ever told you...only tug-of-war with nurse and reef sharks, never tigers! You're lucky they only got a tooth!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother had a stroke while vacationing in France. She said that the nurses kept trying to pull out her "dentures" but they were her own teeth lol. Apparently they were quite surprised by this.

I have a couple of fillings on my lower molars that my husband said could have been avoided if I'd had sealants, but they were not around back in the stone age (70s). I have one crown because I cracked a tooth 30 years ago. I tend to grind my teeth which is a bad habit. But I'm religious about flossing and brushing, always have been and so I'm quite certain I will never have dentures.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Astonishing poll results.
35 votes.
Zero dentures?

Source: http://www.gotoapro.org/news/facts--figures/

Dentures
About 15 percent of the edentulous population has dentures made each year.

Tooth Loss
More than 35 million Americans do not have any teeth, and 178 million people in the U.S. are missing at least one tooth. These numbers are expected to grow in the next two decades.
Tooth loss happens from decay and gums disease, and as a result of injury, cancer or simply wear.
Edentulism affects our most vulnerable populations – the aging and the economically disadvantaged.
In the geriatric population the ratio of edentulous individuals is 2 to 1. About 23 million are completely edentulous and about 12 million are edentulous in one arch.
90 percent of those who suffer from edentulism have dentures.
The number of partially edentulous patients will continue to increase in the next 15 years to more than 200 million individuals. Partial edentulism affects the majority of adult Americans.
Consequences of missing teeth include significant nutritional changes, obesity, diabetes, coronary artery disease and some forms of cancer.
About 15 percent of the edentulous population has dentures made each year.

screen_shot_2015-06-09_at_11.png

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I don't have dentures, but I have one crown, and a mouth full of braces at the ripe age of 42. I decided to get braces because my 13 year old son was getting them, and his ortho gave me a great family discount, so here I am....getting braces for the first time at 42, and will need to have them on for 2 years!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results