shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have a secret bank account that your SO

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, joint accounts pretty much from day one. Only downside is I cannot suprise him with gifts as we both have clarity of the accounts and credit card in live time (online). No secrets here! :D

MomInstyle

Shiny_Rock
May I ask for those who have joint account and no secret stash? Do you then have separate real property?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Nope. We're not in the majority here at all but we have separate accounts. No joint accounts. There are certain bills I pay for and certain ones he pays for and thats that. It works for us. We generally know how much money is in each of our accounts almost always.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
For the most part we have joint accounts (and are both listed on all property), but I pay all the bills and I doubt he could tell you how much is in the accounts. I did open a new savings account for a vacation fund that currently only has my name on it, but that's more out of laziness than trying to hide anything. We got married young and broke though, 12 years now and still going strong!

It does make gift suprises harder for him, so he knows to just pull out cash and use that do I don't see where he's been shopping.

I understand why seperate accounts work for some people, but having a secret stash just seems wrong, like you don't trust your partner.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. We do have separate accounts but they are all connected to the Mint so we both know what's going on with them at all times. We are planning on doing full joint accounts but just haven't gotten around to it once we got married because we both have to be able to make it to the bank at the same time. We don't really need to "ask" each other for money for things... as long as it's not interfering with regular expenses/savings, we are both such enablers. It does help that we both have the same outlook on monies though - as long as the living expenses are covered, the retirement fund contribution is made, and the emergency expenses account is full, the rest is for making life fun, whether that be vacations, a fancy wedding, new bling, endless cooking gadgets, or whatever our little hearts desire. Except a cat. He doesn't want me to get a cat.

(When I want to make a totally secret purchase like for a surprise present, that can't be bought in person with cash/check, I give the money to my parents and they order it and it gets shipped to their house. They love helping to surprise him.)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We maintain a joint account that bills are paid out of, and then each have separate bank accounts. We have rough ideas about what is in each other's account and how many account the other person has, but they aren't all connected. No secrets really, just not full disclosure about every little cent.

Before we had entirely joint accounts and it caused problems. I know we completely split finances at one point and are in the process of re-combining them as issues come up, but I don't expect that any will be a surprise assuming the other person paid attention during the conversation.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
We had only joint accounts for years, and I have always paid all of the bills. In recent years I had my own business, so I set up separate accounts for it. I guess they might be considered secret, but only because he never asks how much is in them. :twirl:

I do make a point of pointing to my computer once a year, or so, and saying that if anything happens to me, the information is all there.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Personal Bank Account (actually several in several different banks - one of which was set up for my mother to use). Princess has a Personal Bank Account. We have a joint household account, and track joint cash expenses.

We have the right to ask to see the others personal bank accounts.

I take care of my car, except for gas, and my personal charities from my personal bank account. Princess takes care of some of her personal expenses from her personal bank account (and will take care of her car from it when she gets a car later this year). Virtually all other spending is from the Joint Household account (and we have a large spreadsheet that tracks every expenditure and when we pay into the account).

There are no secrets in the above accounts. But, each of us has access to independent money if needed.

We each get the exactly same $$$ per month as personal spending cash to use anyway we want to without any documentation or notification to the other. So there may be some surprise stashes there.

Perry

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I don't have a secret bank account. I have my own bank account.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
MustangGal|1372450218|3473906 said:
having a secret stash just seems wrong

I guess if someone has a secret account and uses it with malicious intent, then I can see what the entire issue is.

I keep my account a secret from my DH just because. being in Korea, it was my account that I purchased jewelry with- something that I.could put money into to save up, without having my dh question the money I take out.

now, I keep it a secret.for no reason really. I know that if anything ever happens with my house, or I have issues with my tenants, Ill have enough to pay without stressing Dh out.

Everyone.has their own reason. Saying that I must have trust issues with my husband because he doesnt know of this account is asinine.
(Not directed at you MustangGal, your post was just the last one I read.)
(Also, I'm not saying that anyone said I'm asinine. it's just countless post after post of people who say that they have.100% trust, this and that is getting old.

I just Need a.beer and relax.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
Double post. Sorry.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Having just gone through a nasty divorce and having to borrow money from family to retain an attorney, I will never NOT have a separate account. I wont keep it a secret, but I refuse to not have independent savings for emergencies. However, I do not believe in entirely separate accounts because I think lack of transparency can breed distrust.

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
HollyS|1372641984|3475056 said:

Yes, pan B. Kids do not live on trust. :$$):

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
HollyS|1372641984|3475056 said:

THIS. My husband knows about the account but he has no idea how much money I have in the account. That is good 'cause I have a lot of money stashed away lest he lose his mind and take off with some 20 year old. To me it is not about trust, it is about peace of mind. If he asked me, I would tell him but I don't exactly volunteer the information.

JillyC

Shiny_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1372781739|3476036 said:
Having just gone through a nasty divorce and having to borrow money from family to retain an attorney, I will never NOT have a separate account. I wont keep it a secret, but I refuse to not have independent savings for emergencies. However, I do not believe in entirely separate accounts because I think lack of transparency can breed distrust.

Yeah, I think it's very important to have some separate money, but secrecy is never a good idea. I don't generally bother to look at what's in my husband's account, but if I want to, I can.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results