shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you care how ''new'' your items are?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
This question came up today in a discussion with some friends and I was wondering what other people thought.

When you buy an item do you like it to be brand spanking new? So if you go to Nordstrom's and buy a bag or shoes and it's been dropped a few times or has a scuff on it does that make you want to try and pick the newer shiner unmarked one? Say it's the only one available so buy it or else!

What if you could order it from a store online and know that it's never been touched vs buying it in the store where people have tried it on/used it.

I was just curious about what people's thoughts are on this. For example if I buy a pair of shoes and it seems like someone may have slightly worn them and returned them (just slightly) I tend to ask if there's another pair of the same shoes in my size available. It may be picky but I feel that way sometimes.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I like my new things to be new...but, in some cases, beggers can''t be choosers.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Violet!

It depends on the item. I''m with you on the shoes, I don''t like to know, or even suspect, that someone already wore the shoes outside of the store. However, if it''s an item where I can expect wear and tear to happen anyway, I''m not as picky.

My DH is extremely picky about things, and he always inspects everything before he buys it. He would never buy anything with a scuff or a mark on it.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
If I''m paying full retail for something, then yes, I want the "newest new" one. And, if I''m giving a gift, I don''t want any part of it to look worn or even for a box to be bent.

But if something is marked down because of a few scuff marks, I''ll happily buy it - I know that I''m going to scuff it up on my own eventually anyhow. Sometimes I even ask about the one with scuffs or wear to see if a manager can give me a small percentage off since that one is less likely to sell. I once did that for a coach purse that was already marked clearance because I saw a pen mark on it - and to my horror, the SA took the bag off the floor and said that it needed to be sent back to the company as defective merchandise. I would have totally cleaned the pen mark off myself for a discount as little as $5 or $10 - probably less than it took to ship back!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 6:58:07 PM
Author:violet02
This question came up today in a discussion with some friends and I was wondering what other people thought.

When you buy an item do you like it to be brand spanking new? So if you go to Nordstrom''s and buy a bag or shoes and it''s been dropped a few times or has a scuff on it does that make you want to try and pick the newer shiner unmarked on? Say it''s the only one available so buy it or else!

What if you could order it from a store online and know that it''s never been touched vs buying it in the store where people have tried it on/used it.

I was just curious about what people''s thoughts are on this. For example if I buy a pair of shoes and it seems like someone may have slightly worn them and returned them (just slightly) I tend to ask if there''s another pair of the same shoes in my size available. It may be picky but I feel that way sometimes.
I do a lot of online shopping for this reason.

I will say that if I really need the item (or it is deeply discounted) I *may* purchase it even if it is ever so slightly worn.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 7:04:29 PM
Author: Elmorton
If I''m paying full retail for something, then yes, I want the ''newest new'' one. And, if I''m giving a gift, I don''t want any part of it to look worn or even for a box to be bent.

But if something is marked down because of a few scuff marks, I''ll happily buy it - I know that I''m going to scuff it up on my own eventually anyhow. Sometimes I even ask about the one with scuffs or wear to see if a manager can give me a small percentage off since that one is less likely to sell. I once did that for a coach purse that was already marked clearance because I saw a pen mark on it - and to my horror, the SA took the bag off the floor and said that it needed to be sent back to the company as defective merchandise. I would have totally cleaned the pen mark off myself for a discount as little as $5 or $10 - probably less than it took to ship back!
Ditto

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I add a question to your OP, violet? (If you don''t like the threadjack, just say so, I''ll delete it!)

Are there any items that anyone prefers to buy used?

I prefer used books over new ones, for sure. And I collect hand-potted mugs, and I have a special place in my heart for ones that I find in second-hand stores. They always look like they have a good story.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who bought two packaged items. They were collectors items, both the same. One box was kind of crushed, the other was in mint condition. He gave the mint one to his son who was going to open it and use it, and not preserve it in the box. He kept the crushed one and tried to sell it. He wanted his son to have the mint condition one even though he was going to toss the box. I understand this from a gift perspective and a kid wanting a perfect item perspective. But the item would have sold for a lot had he had the mint condition box.

One cool thing about buying online, no tax!
1.gif
I was buying shoes the other day and someone had obviously at least done a lap in these shoes whether they bought them or not. I got another pair. I was thinking about this in regards to buying pricey handbags too. Online comes in the tissue still, in the store it''s been on the shelf where people zip/unzip, try on, drop etc. I''m not THAT picky at times, I''d buy the bag but when it''s a BIG ticket item I get somewhat picky. For a good discount, I''m not so picky. So same bag on the sale table sure!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 7:14:54 PM
Author: Haven
Can I add a question to your OP, violet? (If you don''t like the threadjack, just say so, I''ll delete it!)

I prefer used books over new ones, for sure. And I collect hand-potted mugs, and I have a special place in my heart for ones that I find in second-hand stores. They always look like they have a good story.

Yes add away!

I''m a big fan of vintage items and used books as well. I have no qualms buying an old worn book for a dollar vs 15 in the store. I''m also a collector of vintage items like purses. I buy used clothing sometimes too but not as much as I did years ago. I''m pickier there.

I don''t like used shoes! (obviously!)

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I love old books. I don''t buy many, but, I have tons of old books from my grandmother and my hubby''s grandfather. I much prefer an old well loved book to a new one!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting question!

I think for items that matter (to me this is clothing, shoes, handbags), if I''m paying full retail price, then yes I want to get the brand-spankin''-newest one on the rack.

For things like jewelery that can usually be restored to like-new-condition, I don''t really care - but I don''t think I''d expect to pay full price for them.
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock

That''s a fun question, too!!

I prefer to have used/antique if possible wine glasses, wooden furniture (mostly chairs, free-standing storage like armoires and china cabinets, etc.), jewelery in a lot of cases, and cars
3.gif
(well, the last one is more out of necessity...)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I am totally picky, especially if it''s for something expensive.

I wanted to buy a bag from a local boutique, but it was too shop worn (it had several scuffs and marks), so I skipped it and ordered it from Nordstrom instead. (And I even get 10% off at the local place because it''s in the same area as my store, but I didn''t care because it was too worn!) Then when the one from Nordstrom came in, it had a few marks on it, so I had them find me another one that was totally fresh. When that one came in it was so fresh it still had all the paper over the hardware, so I kept it!

Used books I am all about because I read too fast to spend $15-20 on every book! I also will buy thrift and vintage, but if something is supposed to be brand new, that''s how I want it!

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
If I am paying full price for something I am pretty darn nit-picky about the condition of it. If I''ve worn shoes about the house after buying them and they''re truly awful I will return them to the store, but I feel guilty because I know someone else might not appreciate the wear, even if it''s quite minor! Sorry, store.
3.gif

However, I buy a lot of stuff used or discounted because of some imperfection. I''m frankly poor, and the only way I can afford a designer or other expensive item is if it''s marked down pretty substantially. I do think even when I have more money in the future I will consider buying certain items which are discounted for various reasons, especially if they''re new or like new-- jewelery comes to mind as one such thing.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I am very picky. I will not buy anything that is pricey if it is not in MINT condition. If I am buying something on sale or clearance, I will let it slide if it''s not that expensive.

I LOVE Nordstrom and have a habit of returning things if they get damaged after wear or are not to my liking. They always take stuff back and will usually order me new stuff from another store.

Here are a few things I have gotten fixed:

-A GORGEOUS Free People sundress that had this amazing crocheting on the back, but after I wore it all the crocheting tore. As much as I wanted to keep it, it was in poor condition, Nords took it back no problem.

-I also have this really cute Kensie spring jacket. I lost a button and it didn''t have extras. Nords took it back, ordered me a new one, AND it was on sale so I got for $50 cheaper than the first time.

That is why I love that store so much!
9.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I''m one of those people who will inspect something before I buy to make sure I get the nicest/newest looking item. If all of the items have holes or huge scuffs or something then I''ll just pass altogether. I wouldn''t go so far as to order from online or another store unless it was something I actually NEEDED.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a question for the picky people:

When you purchase everyday dishes, do you take each item out in the store to inspect it? We bought these beautiful (and extremely affordable!) plain white bone china dishes from Bed Bath & Beyond. They came in sets of four, and each was packed neatly and tightly in a huge box. My DH, whom I love and adore, unpacked each of the THREE sets we wanted to purchased, and examined every single piece. Picture this: DH was sitting in the middle of a growing mound of packing papers, opened boxes, and stacks of dishes and mugs.
Would you have done that? People were staring.
2.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock

I can''t think of anything I PREFER to buy used other than antiques of course. But if I find a good deal on something used then I certainly don''t mind purchasing it. I did used to go crazy over garage sale furniture. I bought a desk and chair for $20 once and my dad refinished it along with all the other odd pieces of furniture I had so that it all matched- black with silver hardware.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 8:12:02 PM

When you purchase everyday dishes, do you take each item out in the store to inspect it? We bought these beautiful (and extremely affordable!) plain white bone china dishes from Bed Bath & Beyond. They came in sets of four, and each was packed neatly and tightly in a huge box. My DH, whom I love and adore, unpacked each of the THREE sets we wanted to purchased, and examined every single piece. Would you have done that? People were staring.
2.gif
Probably not IN the store... but definitely when we got home! If one plate wasn''t perfect then I would probably bring them back for an exchange.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Depends on item and price. I rarely pay full retail for anything, but when I do, I'm picky. I buy vintage jewelry, books, and handbags(collect vintage clutches), so I'm very forgiving with those items. haha--I like old things for the most part, so newness usually doesn't bug me.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 8:13:35 PM
Author: oobiecoo

When you purchase everyday dishes, do you take each item out in the store to inspect it? We bought these beautiful (and extremely affordable!) plain white bone china dishes from Bed Bath & Beyond. They came in sets of four, and each was packed neatly and tightly in a huge box. My DH, whom I love and adore, unpacked each of the THREE sets we wanted to purchased, and examined every single piece. Would you have done that? People were staring.
2.gif

Probably not IN the store... but definitely when we got home! If one plate wasn't perfect then I would probably bring them back for an exchange.

Ditto!

I am the QUEEN of returning items. Not used, washed, worn though I'm good about that. Unless of course there's a problem with the item then that's different. I love Nordstrom for returns too! I will buy clothes I like, hang them up with the tag still on them then if I don't wind up wearing them in a few weeks or a month I will return it. They take back items without the tag as well but I feel better about it if leave the tag on. Heck they take it back without receipts!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, Tiffany at half price!
9.gif

I will also buy used books on Amazon sometimes.

New things bought a full retail should look NEW!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
If I pay "new" prices, I want new items. If I pay a discounted price, it''s usually fine.

In fact, for appliances, I''d rather buy a floor model (with a warranty) and get the discount than pay full price.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I pay for new it better darn well be new. I don''t mind resale if I am getting a discount.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I don''t do garage sales, thrift stores, consignment shops. I would never wear a pair of shoes that someone else had worn, or carry a used purse because they get grungy on the inside, or worse, smell.

In a department store, I would expect a scuffed shoe or purse to be marked down. But no, generally I would not pay good money for a less than pristine item. If I want ''less than pristine'', I can always shop the back of my closet! Bargains galore hiding there!
2.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

When you purchase everyday dishes, do you take each item out in the store to inspect it? We bought these beautiful (and extremely affordable!) plain white bone china dishes from Bed Bath & Beyond. They came in sets of four, and each was packed neatly and tightly in a huge box. My DH, whom I love and adore, unpacked each of the THREE sets we wanted to purchased, and examined every single piece. Picture this: DH was sitting in the middle of a growing mound of packing papers, opened boxes, and stacks of dishes and mugs.
Would you have done that? People were staring.
2.gif
Uh, no. I would have returned a chipped, broken, or otherwise less than good set to the store later.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

How about antiques or vintage items? I will buy home furnishings, dishes, glassware, jewelry, books, artwork from a store, fair, street vendor, flea market, antiques show. The fun is in the hunt; and a house furnished with lovingly collected or handed down items is truly a home.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally, I prefer brand new things to old ones. I like the look and the feel of brand new unworn items. In fact, I am a little bit neurotic about this: It's not unknown for me to buy shoes, clothes, even household items and not wear/ use them for a while or even not at all because the items just look so beautiful brand new that I don't want them to be marked or look imperfect in any way. This is particularly the case if I pay full price for them (which is quite rare).

It's a bit different when it comes to sale items. I like buying designer clothes and shoes for a number of reasons: 1) they look and feel much more superior than unbranded ones; 2) they look good on me, LOL; and 3) I like the fact that I haven't paid through the nose and don't feel too guilty for wearing them. So if marked down items are sligthly scuffed or imperfect, I don't mind, as long as the imperfections do not affect their durability. BUT worn shoes are absolutely a no no, for hygiene reasons [yuk!!].

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I am beyond cheap. I will buy something if it''s been a little mussed, but not if it''s been practically destroyed, torn or something. Except for shoes. Buying shoes someone obviously beat up and returned is just gross.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results