shape
carat
color
clarity

Do redlight camera tickets carry points on your licence?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I was the passenger in my own car with my 17 year old son driving. He went through a yellow because he would have had to slam on the breaks to stop and I think it was the right call. Except the yellow was SO short and I think I saw a redlight camera flash as we were in the intersection. Not positive but I Think I did. There are lots of redlight cameras where I live.

Does this type of ticket carry points? And would the points end up being on my license even though I was not driving? But the car my son was driving is registered in my name.

I really hate redlight cameras!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it does here in Ca... ::) here's the good news...if I were you I would let the ticket go under your license just in case your teenage son get another ticket.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a few around here still. I think they took a bunch out? (I drive a different way since I'm not going from the office to school anymore)

I remember watching as I was stopped at the red light. It seems like they only flash if you actually ENTER the intersection after it turns red. If you enter on yellow and then it turns red, I don't think it takes your picture.

I've had it flash at someone going the other direction as I left the intersection and that was super upsetting. It was only later that I figured out what the other person had done so knew it wasn't me. The flash for the other direction can be bright and look like it was pointed at you :nono:

I hope it is okay! From the sounds of it your son did the correct thing! You can always contest the ticket if it turns out it was aimed at you.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1385102704|3561155 said:
We have a few around here still. I think they took a bunch out? (I drive a different way since I'm not going from the office to school anymore)

I remember watching as I was stopped at the red light. It seems like they only flash if you actually ENTER the intersection after it turns red. If you enter on yellow and then it turns red, I don't think it takes your picture.

I've had it flash at someone going the other direction as I left the intersection and that was super upsetting. It was only later that I figured out what the other person had done so knew it wasn't me. The flash for the other direction can be bright and look like it was pointed at you :nono:

I hope it is okay! From the sounds of it your son did the correct thing! You can always contest the ticket if it turns out it was aimed at you.

Now that I think about it, that's probably what happened. He DEFINATELY entered the intersection on a yellow and it turned red midway through. I was really surprised to see the flash when we were in the intersection. It is a very busy intersection and I was focusing on my son's driving but now that I think about it, that's probably what happened. Phew I hope that's it and nothing comes in the mail.

Oh and I don't know if this complicates things but my son does NOT have a drivers license. He has a learners permit and can only drive with a parent in the car. He is legally eligible for the license, he has held his permit for enough time. I just have been dragging my feet because I don't want him driving alone yet!

Also, now that I think about it, how can they attach points to a red light ticket, people often loan their cars, and in family situations you often have more than one person driving a car and sharing cars.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
asscherisme|1385105066|3561169 said:

Also, now that I think about it, how can they attach points to a red light ticket, people often loan their cars, and in family situations you often have more than one person driving a car and sharing cars.
Then you tell them who was driving your car.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In NY the red light camera tickets carry no points against your license because there is no accurate way to prove who was driving. Hope the same applies for your state and better yet hope you don't get that red light ticket.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not here they are not. Right now there are a gazillion lawsuits going on here about whether the cameras are constitutional and whether the fines associated can really be enforced and collected since an officer didn't actively witness the event.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Chiming in to echo a PP that said you should be fine. If it was yellow when he entered, he wouldn't activate the camera. You're fine! :)

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1385099371|3561144 said:
it does here in Ca... ::) here's the good news...if I were you I would let the ticket go under your license just in case your teenage son get another ticket.

They got rid of them here in San Diego. The contract was up and it was too expensive to maintain the program. They showed that accidents at intersections actually DECREASED in frequency without the cameras. Also, council members and their families were getting $400 tickets for making turns on red (which IS legal), so they complained haha.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Maybe it depends on where you live but I got a camera light ticket and I had to go to traffic school to avoid having it on my DL record. You can try fighting it, but I tried that and lost.
I hope he doesn't don't get one. Traffic school isn't awful (I finished within 25 mins!) but that $450 ticket was terrible. Think of the lovely bling I could have bought!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1385171006|3561543 said:

They got rid of them here in San Diego. The contract was up and it was too expensive to maintain the program. They showed that accidents at intersections actually DECREASED in frequency without the cameras. Also, council members and their families were getting $400 tickets for making turns on red (which IS legal), so they complained haha.

Sadly, they are alive and well in the Northern area of San Diego county.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
asscherisme|1385105066|3561169 said:

Now that I think about it, that's probably what happened. He DEFINATELY entered the intersection on a yellow and it turned red midway through. I was really surprised to see the flash when we were in the intersection. It is a very busy intersection and I was focusing on my son's driving but now that I think about it, that's probably what happened. Phew I hope that's it and nothing comes in the mail.

Oh and I don't know if this complicates things but my son does NOT have a drivers license. He has a learners permit and can only drive with a parent in the car. He is legally eligible for the license, he has held his permit for enough time. I just have been dragging my feet because I don't want him driving alone yet!

In those cases, they want you to tell them who it is. There's a entry line on the ticket for this. I'm not sure you HAVE to though so definitely look into that part.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Hera|1385187243|3561598 said:
sonnyjane|1385171006|3561543 said:

Sadly, they are alive and well in the Northern area of San Diego county.

Eww that stinks. They've been gone from SD proper since February.

OP I really wouldn't worry unless you actually get one. Nothing that can be done now!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is my understanding that they take a photo of the driver too.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
House Cat said:
It is my understanding that they take a photo of the driver too.

That is correct. There is a picture taken at that time.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherisme, I hope your son does not get a ticket.
He did nothing wrong, since we can enter an intersection on a yellow light.

That said, I love red-light cameras.
They save lives.

The vast majority of drivers tailgate and speed, at least here in the Los Angeles area.
Some make bad decisions at intersections, expecting to not get caught.
Sure, the machines have to be carefully calibrated and monitored to ensure only the guilty are caught.
IMO, the lives being saved outrank system imperfections.
Saved lives outrank people angry that they can't speed and run red lights anymore. :roll:
I am happy these narcissists' right to kill is being infringed upon.

I'd also support governors in cars to limit every car's speed to the local speed limit!
I also support black boxes installed every car like those in jets.
It would record data on speed, location, steering, brake and gas pedals.
This data should be admissible in court to establish responsibility for accidents.

None of this would bother me because I drive safely and do not break the law.

I'm all for freedom and I hate big brother not prying into our private lives BUT we have 100 years of proof that many car drivers can't be trusted with keys to a ton of fast-moving metal that can kill.

IMO, public safety trumps a person's freedom to endanger us.

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1385232812|3561741 said:
Asscherisme, I hope your son does not get a ticket.
He did nothing wrong, since we can enter an intersection on a yellow light.

That said, I love red-light cameras.
They save lives.

The vast majority of drivers tailgate and speed, at least here in the Los Angeles area.
Some make bad decisions at intersections, expecting to not get caught.
Sure, the machines have to be carefully calibrated and monitored to ensure only the guilty are caught.
IMO, the lives being saved outrank system imperfections.
Saved lives outrank people angry that they can't speed and run red lights anymore. :roll:
I am happy these narcissists' right to kill is being infringed upon.

I'd also support governors in cars to limit every car's speed to the local speed limit!
I also support black boxes installed every car like those in jets.
It would record data on speed, location, steering, brake and gas pedals.
This data should be admissible in court to establish responsibility for accidents.

None of this would bother me because I drive safely and do not break the law.

I'm all for freedom and I hate big brother not prying into our private lives BUT we have 100 years of proof that many car drivers can't be trusted with keys to a ton of fast-moving metal that can kill.

IMO, public safety trumps a person's freedom to endanger us.

I would have to respectfully disagree Kenny on several levels, and here's just a couple of them.

I would like the option to speed away from a F5 tornado or other like storm that is crawling up my backside, if the need were to arise.

IF people who cause vehicular homicide or manslaughter were dealt with properly and effectively, there would be less of it happening.

Perhaps the $408 dollar red light tickets from San Fran need to find there way down to your neck of the woods and keep pumping that cost up until the rate at which they happen drops down.

a quote that goes around and is often used as of late sums it up best.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
This was first written by Franklin for the Pennsylvania Assembly in its Reply to the Governor (11 Nov. 1755) [6]

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I'll keep this thread updated if my son actually gets a ticket. I have gone over it in my head and there is NO question in my mind that he entered the intersection on a yellow. After reading the replies, I bet the flash I saw was coming from the other direction from a driver going the other way entered on red.

I guess time will tell. I figure if nothing shows up in the mail in the next few weeks we should be safe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results