shape
carat
color
clarity

Diplomas: do you frame 'em, hang 'em, roll 'em? what?

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
What do you do with your diplomas? Do you have them nicely framed and hanging in your home office? work office? Neatly rolled and stashed in some closet? Trashed em???

I haven't gotten any of mine framed...because I wanted all of the frames to match. Now that I'm nearing completion...*crossing fingers, wishing*... I have been looking into getting them framed. My diplomas are odd sizes--not something that you can grab stock. The campus bookstore sells them but they're roughly $250-$300 and not that great of quality. I went to a framing store in town today and picked out "mid level" materials and was quoted $405. Ouch. Thinking this was really high, I went to AC Moore and was quoted a range of $280-$340 depending on the matting/frame specifics. That was *with* a 55% off coupon. :???:

While I wouldn't have an issue spending that much on ONE... multiply $350 times FOUR frames and that's a pretty decent amount. I have wanted them to hang in my office but at that price I'm not so sure.

What have you done? Just paid the price and gotten them framed? :read:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Actually, I left mine gathering dust in the school office. It took me 5 years to pick up my BA diploma.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a clue. In the bottom of some drawer somewhere under a pile of socks no doubt..

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
None of mine are framed yet or anything. They're just sitting in the little book thing that comes with it. The frames are waaaay too expensive for me right now but I think once I complete my secondary degree I *might* consider framing them.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never wanted to hang mine up, so I think they're in a box somewhere. My husband's is in the same box. I'd feel weird hanging them up -- don't know why though.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
My undergrad diploma is framed at my parents' house somewhere. I haven't framed my graduate degree yet, but when I have a nice home office, I'll probably hang them up along with a calendar and other wall décor. I went to good schools and worked hard, so I'm pretty proud of my degrees.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
My parents bought me the school frames with little gold medallions set into the mat as part of my graduation gift for both my A.B. and J.D. The molding on the frames isn't quite the same, but the colors are, so they compliment each other nicely. My college diploma has been sitting in my old room at my parents' house since, and my law degree is framed but still in the box right now. I will hang them in my office when I start my job in October, though I don't think I'd hang them up in my house unless I worked out of a dedicated home office.

I don't remember either of the frames being that expensive, though -- I think they were each around $150, give or take a few dollars. The price quotes you got do seem like quite a ripoff!

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Well, for the past 10 years my B.A. diploma has been sitting in a box - unframed. My L.L.B diploma has also been sitting in a box for the last year - unframed. Once I get my formal admission to the Bar, I intend to frame all three and hang them in my office where there are three hooks conveniently already set up. Everyone else in the office seems to have done the same thing.

I guess the pro is that I can get all three frames to match this way!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My undergraduate diploma is in the same leatherbound binder/holder that my graduate degree diploma is in. I think it's because my undergraduate diploma did not come with a holder. They are tucked away in a file cabinet where we keep imprtant documents.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My diploma is in one of my husband's portfolio boxes. I'd rather hang up art in the office than a diploma. I doubt I'll shell out the cash to get it framed. I have too much art to frame first!

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I've framed all of them. I got the first and second one within the space of one year, and at the time was all excited about it so I hang them up. I got my PhD four years later, and I did get it framed, but it's been two years and it's still under a pile on my desk and not on the wall with the other two. If any of you are familiar with PhD comics (www.phdcomics.com), Piled Higher and Deeper takes on a new meaning on my desk.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sure EXACTLY where it is but it is in the envelope it was sent in...somewhere...

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are in cheap-o frames and they hang on the wall of my office at work. I framed them myself, and it shows! :lol:

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
rhbgirl24 said:
Mine are framed in those obscenely expensive frames. But still in the frame box and in the closet. ha

haha...this is the best response so far!

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Octavia said:
I don't remember either of the frames being that expensive, though -- I think they were each around $150, give or take a few dollars. The price quotes you got do seem like quite a ripoff!

hmm... perhaps it was the size. Mine are an odd size. I don't recall the exact dimensions but they're larger than the standard document size but not quite the next notch up for portraits. I am considering chopping them down so they'll fit stock frames. I found some really nice looking stock frames at Michaels. I am thinking that they'll stil fit with no lettering chopped off.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
DH and I both got nice frames from the campus store for our diplomas. They're now hanging up in our spare bedroom above the desk. When we moved in we didn't have much artwork, so it was nice to put something on the wall, but I don't think I'll put them up in our next place, so they'll probably end up stuffed in a closet somewhere.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
My BS is on the wall, my MS is packed away. I intend to frame it and hang it someday, but it will probably be a couple years before I get around to it.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Both of mine are in the closet in the spare bedroom. I did have them framed, but I don't know if I like the idea of hanging my own diplomas. Maybe I should send them to my parents, I suppose this means they're incredibly proud of me, but they framed and hung my SAT/ACT scores!

Nate's has his M.D. in his work office, as well as his M.P.H., his BS is in the home office.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
MissPrudential said:
hmm... perhaps it was the size. Mine are an odd size. I don't recall the exact dimensions but they're larger than the standard document size but not quite the next notch up for portraits. I am considering chopping them down so they'll fit stock frames. I found some really nice looking stock frames at Michaels. I am thinking that they'll stil fit with no lettering chopped off.

One thing I've done to frame things that aren't standard sizes is to get a mat custom cut for the picture that makes it a standard size. Custom mats are much cheaper than custom frames! So, you can find a stock frame you like (I like Target for cheap but nice ones--I like them to be at least 6 inches bigger than my picture) and get the mat cut to fit.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I just bought standard size matting and a frame a size or two bigger and pushed my diploma until it showed everything (mine is 12 x 15, instead of 11 x 14). Sure, the margins aren't as nice and it looks a little cramped, but it was $40.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2 said:
My diploma is in one of my husband's portfolio boxes. I'd rather hang up art in the office than a diploma. I doubt I'll shell out the cash to get it framed. I have too much art to frame first!

Ha me too, but I have plenty of hooks and wallspace!

I have about 5-6 pieces of art hanging up right now - my own and other stuff I or DH owns. I still have 3 spare hooks for the diplomas.

I have found that people ask me sometimes if I am really a lawyer if they are in my office, so I figure maybe I ought to get the diplomas up so they stop asking me.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Undergrad, JD, and Bar Admission all professionally matted and framed and hung in my office for 28 years. Too long ago to remember prices. Now they're in my home office.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's in the folder it came in on my bookshelf at home.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have three in the bottom of a drawer somewhere, rolled up in the tube they came in. DH has many, many more in the same drawer.

The main thing that puts me off having them framed is that whenever I go to a job interview, they ask me to bring the original certificates. It would be a pain to lug them around in frames, plus it would make them hard to photocopy at the interview.

Jen

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
My undergrad and law school diplomas are matted and framed, and they are hanging in my office. My bar admission is supposed to be there, too, but I have been too lazy to frame it. I think my high school diploma is still in my old room at my parents' house.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
It is at the back of a drawer in my study; still rolled in it's cardboard. There it will stay.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Actual diplomas with transcripts in safe. The diploma is not your "proof" of graduation, only your transcripts with the appropriate designation are.

Copies of diplomas are framed and in my office. They are part of how I charge for my services so I like clients to be able to see them without having to ask.

I hate having to ask doctors, for example, where they went to school and to medical school, if they have copies on the walls I can discretely look and feel confident or BUMMED, LOL!!!!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Is it bad if I tell you I'm not even sure where mine is right now? It's still in the black thingy it came in. I think it's in a box in my basement or maybe on a shelf in my office. I've never been one to hang that kind of stuff. I don't even hang pictures of us on the walls. I prefer interesting art.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results