shape
carat
color
clarity

Dinner party - Kitchen logistics

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Hi - I'm having 8 guests this Friday for dinner (so there will be 10 of us total). I'm not the handiest in the kitchen and I'm not quite sure how to handle the two entrees. I'm cooking a chicken dish and lasagna (for the vegetarians). Logistically, I'm not sure how to go about cooking both since I have just one oven. Perhaps I cook the lasagna first, then the chicken, then put the lasagna back to heat it back up? But, I was worried that the chicken would then get cold. It seems like such a simple issue, but it has me quite stumped! It's actually really embarrassing to have to ask.

We haven't cooked for this many people before. Anyone have suggestions?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If it were me, I'd cook the lasagne the day before (this evening or early tomorrow). Put it in the fridge. An hour before you want to serve it, take it out of the fridge so that it comes to room temp. When the chicken is almost done in the oven, cover the lasagne with saran wrap and heat it in the microwave. I've done this before and it works beautifully. Lasagne is often better the second day anyway. Another tip is to pre-slice the lasagne into serving sizes while it's cold in the pan. Once it's hot, it will be so muc easier to serve if it's been pre-cut. Have an awesome dinner party and just remember, try to relax and enjoy yourself!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of chicken dish is very important to the answer... And if you can fit both chicken and lasagna in the oven at the same time, on two different racks.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I was going to just do BBQ chicken (it's all I know how to make!). I could put them on different racks and cook together, but wasn't sure if I had to adjust cooking times and I worried about undercooking the chicken.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Just a thought. Instead of making oven baked lasagna you could make a nice pasta dish on the stove top.

However, if you really want lasagna, why not make it in a smaller dish. You won't be needing to feed 10 people and could cut the recipe down some. Then it would fit in the oven with the chicken.

Just remember, if you have 2 dishes baking together they'll need more time.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
swingirl|1311291304|2974151 said:
Just a thought. Instead of making oven baked lasagna you could make a nice pasta dish on the stove top.

That's a great idea...I was just going to make the only two things I've really ever made for people, but I can probably figure out a nice pasta dish!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Central, if you can put the lasagna together tonight it's less running around for you tomorrow. Reheat it into your oven as soon as you get home, while you're prepping the chicken, give or take an hour in the oven. Then do a hot swap when you're ready for the chicken. Lasagna is a dense pasta dish, if you cover with foil and keep it in your microwave, it'll stay warm. You can throw a cold lasagna into the oven. Oven safe containers can go from cold to hot but not the the other way around.

As far as a veggie friend other pasta dish: You can buy a fresh pasta in the refrigerated section (usually by the eggs) or in the freezer section. Some kind of veggie ravioli with a tomato cream sauce would work. Maybe add some peas and fresh herbs (basil & parsley) for a pop of green color.

Sounds like a great dinner party!

~LC

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, dinner parties are great fun, and it isn't that bad a problem you have.

if you want to wow the guests with your 2 bestest dishes, just go with it.

You can do the chicken exactly the same as always. Just finish the lasagna as you always do but take it out 5minutes before you normally would. Keep it in a warmish place (like on the kitchen covered with a piece of tented foil so condensate doesn't drip back all over your lasagna as it cools) and then just move on to your chicken.

Adjust your oven back to the optimal temp that you use to bbq your chicken, then when That is done, take it out of the oven and pop the lasagna back uncovered for 10-15minutes depending on how cold it got in your kitchen. If it got really cold, just put it back with the foil on top for 15minutes then take the foil off for the last 5-10mins or so. Worst case that's 25mins after the chicken. I'm guessing you'll only need about 15minutes total.

You need to rest your chicken for about 10-15mins before serving anyway to let the juices sit, so rest the meat, carve it at the table, pour a serving of wine, and the lasagna can come out of the oven just perfect by this time.

Enjoy your party!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions, lliang_chi and Tristan...I'll head to the store in a few hours and decide between lasagna and pasta. I'm so excited for tonight that I can't sleep!!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Why not do a baked pasta? You can prepare it entirely on the stove...while the meat is resting, sprinkle it with cheese and place it in the oven to melt. It will be hot and cheesy and delicious, but very simple to make. I can give you my cheaters sauce recipe, too...it's very, very easy, if you want it.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the chicken is cut up into serving pieces already, it'll take about 45 minutes at 375 (breast pieces more like 25-30 minutes) which is the same time as a lasagna, luckily enough.

if it's a whole chicken, more problematic. you'll want the chicken on the bottom rack. start that at 450 (reduce to 425 if the fat smokes.) After 40 minutes, flip the chicken. Put the lasagna in, on upper rack. Turn the heat down to 350. 35 minutes later, done.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Italiahaircolor|1311336685|2974459 said:
I can give you my cheaters sauce recipe, too...it's very, very easy, if you want it.

I want.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone! Everyone will be here in an hour! I decided to go with the separate pasta dish. In the end, I was worried about making a mistake on the cooking times and didn't want to mess up on our first dinner party. But, I have a lot of good advice for our next one, when I'll be a bit more adventurous! I need to get my confidence up in the kitchen!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1311384957|2974983 said:
Thanks, everyone! Everyone will be here in an hour! I decided to go with the separate pasta dish. In the end, I was worried about making a mistake on the cooking times and didn't want to mess up on our first dinner party. But, I have a lot of good advice for our next one, when I'll be a bit more adventurous! I need to get my confidence up in the kitchen!
Uh, oh, I better put my shoes on and hurry over!!! I am hungry!

Hope everything went well!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
swingirl|1311406525|2975111 said:
centralsquare|1311384957|2974983 said:
Uh, oh, I better put my shoes on and hurry over!!! I am hungry!

Hope everything went well!

Haha - yes, it did!!!!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Brilliant! First of many successes I hope :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results