shape
carat
color
clarity

did your parents throw you a party when...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you graduated from college? did you received a lot of gifts?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
No and no. I got a few monetary gifts after high school graduation, but nothing really for college other than a nice dinner. I can say I don't recall any of my close friends having college graduation parties.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
No and no. My parents paid my tuition fees, that was gift enough.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't remember having a party. My parents did send me on a trip with my aunt to England and Wales after graduation, so that took the place of any party I might have had. We did go out to dinner after the ceremony, and that was nice. As far as gifts from other people, no, I didn't get many gifts. I did receive several cards from family and family friends though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No party. They did give me a generous trip to Europe for the summer and that was great! First time I traveled by myself (I was 19 when I graduated) and it was a bit nerve wracking as I hate flying but it was a great trip. The only other gift I received when I graduated was a beautiful strand of pearls from my grandparents.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
No... they did do a really nice picnic with champagne to eat in the grounds of the cathedral after the graduation ceremony.

Definitely not after finishing high-school.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
We had a small family party with just a handful of close relatives and my boyfriend at the time. I'm sure I got some cards with money, but nothing too crazy!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I was the first person in my extended family to graduate from college, so there was quite a celebration. And I made enough money to buy the clunker that got me to law school every day. But that was way back in the dark ages-1975.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
My family made a very big deal about my high school graduation. Close family came from up and down the East coast. I was given something like $500 altogether (maybe about $1,500- $2,000 in today's money). I enjoyed the family party. I think my high school graduation was an important "rite of passage" for them.

For getting my BA? No party, no presents, no cards, nothing. On one hand, I sent out invitations to my high school graduation and didn't send them out when I graduated from college, so I thought it was to be expected. On the other hand, I was a little surprised my parents (I lived with my mother's parents for the last three years of high school) didn't send a card. I think they thought I was "off doing my own thing" and they never seemed to be very interested, were never very involved, and didn't recognize my achievement. It's not like I routinely cry in my beer about it. LOL! But you asked the question... that's what happened.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No and no.

My parents and I were butting heads a lot by that point. Although I'm sure they were proud of me, I suspect they also had mixed feelings about what they perceived as my college experience. :wink2:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. They paid my tuition and my dad sent me a letter with $80 cash in it every single week and paid my rent even though I worked part time. I think that was more than enough. They bought my car for me, and I had a job lined up before I graduated, so I was set to begin life as an adult and did just fine without a party and gifts. :bigsmile:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, and yep. My sister also. My brother got one for HS but he graduated in December from College (a semester early) so he just never got around to the party. He's been out for like 3 years now, but since he just bought a house we might throw a housewarming party / belated college grad party for him.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
No party for college graduation, but for HS graduation yes. I received a lot of cards and cash gifts from friends and family for HS and College graduation. My parents bought me a car as a college graduation gift.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
No party. My parents did come to campus and they took my best friend and boyfriend out to a nice dinner to celebrate my graduation.

They gave me a bicycle as a graduation gift. I still have it, ten years later!

I paid for my entire college career myself, except for the $100 in quarters that my parents gave me for laundry when I went away freshman year. So many of you are so lucky that your parents paid for college.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
No party. They probably went off and partied by themselves though!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1335969831|3185656 said:
No. They paid my tuition and my dad sent me a letter with $80 cash in it every single week and paid my rent even though I worked part time. I think that was more than enough. They bought my car for me, and I had a job lined up before I graduated, so I was set to begin life as an adult and did just fine without a party and gifts. :bigsmile:

I'm so glad for my grandparents that they were able to pay in-state tuition for me when I look at the price of college now! I will always be grateful for their generosity. My grandmother told me from the day I was born that I was going to go to college. I was so lucky to have them. They were so good to me. But when I compare what it cost for me to go to college in the mid-80's compared to today? It's mind-bending! It has just become so outrageous!

I just can't imagine how expensive college has become and how competitive admissions have become and it seems that students are getting out of college burdened by huge debt. TBH, I'm glad I did it because I wouldn't want to have to do it now and I wouldn't want my grandparents to have spent what it costs today! :o

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Nope! We went out to dinner, nothing fancy. As a graduation gift they put $2k down for a car for me, and split the payments with me for a year (I was going straight to grad school). So definitely a nice gift.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Nope, and that was just fine with me! For my undergrad, my mom got me a few lovely gifts (including a Mont Blanc pen) and gave me some jewelry that was my grandmother's, and then we went out to a nice dinner to celebrate. For my graduate degree, we just did dinner, and I got some money to help me get started since I was moving to a new, much more expensive city, with just 2 carloads of stuff.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
No party but they bought me a ring with some small diamonds in it. PS would not approve, but I keep it for sentimental reasons.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

No party--just a cake and small gifts.

cheers--Sharon

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
High school? A pat on the back :bigsmile:

After university my parents hosted a party for friends and family. I received a gift of $1000.(in 1967 $$ :!: ) from them and many congratulatory cards from the others.

The crowning glory, though, was after we came back home my favourite aunt sent a card with a lovely letter and it was addressed to Jane Doe BA

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
No, hey visited for a week. My parents covered 75% of my tuition abroad while I worked for my living costs.

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
They came to my graduation ceremony out of town and bought me a bouquet of roses, then they took me for dinner at my restaurant of choice. They paid my tuition and housing fees while in school, I never expected a gift and was happy with the dinner celebration.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I forgot to mention that I got a gift when I finished grad school as well. A pair of diamond studs...around .7tcw. From Costco. I've worn them just about every day since.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, I had a little party after my graduation ceremony! I got a check too, but not for a ton of $. They paid for my entire college tuition so I can't complain about that! :tongue:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
no, no party. we did go out to a nice dinner though!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I had a scholarship for almost all of my years of college and what that didn't cover, I paid for myself. My parents did throw a small party and I received cash gifts. I had just been rear-ended and my car was totaled a few weeks prior to the party and I think everyone felt bad and gave a little more than they otherwise would have, especially my parents.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1335973810|3185712 said:
No party but they bought me a ring with some small diamonds in it. PS would not approve, but I keep it for sentimental reasons.

This reminds me. My mom's graduation present was a diamond ring PS would not approve of! It was from a pawn shop. It was (or is, my mom kept it for safe keeping once when I was moving and I haven't seen it since!). It was a man's pinky ring in yellow gold with a box with the corners turned (kind of like a square diamond shape, no pun intended) with four very small, very low quality diamonds. Even those terrible diamonds made rainbows in the sun. It was kind of a strange gift because it was from the pawn shop and because the band underneath was visibly worn. I wonder if it would be rude to sell it and put the money toward one I would like better. :saint:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
isaku5|1335974404|3185722 said:
The crowning glory, though, was after we came back home my favourite aunt sent a card with a lovely letter and it was addressed to Jane Doe BA

I like that! :))

My favorite aunt used to send me cards addressed to "Master Danny" when I was a kid.

This is actually one of my pet peeves, that BA as an academic title can only be used after your name.

I Am Danny, BA

I am so jealous (well, not really because he earned it but still) of my best friend from college who is now "Dr. So and So".

That's a title I would like to have. But I'm done with school. I could never go back to school at this stage. Sigh. :saint:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I haven't finished my degrees yet, so I cant speak on that, but they did celebrate my brother's graduation. They took him out for a nice dinner and then they threw a party with family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, ect).

My parents also came down from WI to AL when my husband graduated from his Warrent officer school to have a small celebration.

As far as gifts, they gave my brother money towards his new $2500 camera, and bought my husband a set of golf clubs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results