shape
carat
color
clarity

did you ever go to one of your high school reunions?...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i almost went to my 25th a few yrs ago but,i didn''t have anything to brag about. don''t they all just sit there and brag about how successful they''re in life?

maybe.... you girls didn''t go b/c
20.gif
you want to avoid your ex boy friends.
9.gif

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I went to my 10th a couple of years ago. It was extremely surreal. I found that I hung out all night with the same girls I did in high school, which is odd since I''m not friends with any of them any more... all the ''cliques'' just sort of reformed!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Never been to one and probably will never go to one.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Like Amanda, I also went to my 10 year a few years ago. Went with several of my girlfriends and it was interesting to see who had peaked in high school, or who (like me!) looked/felt better now, etc. One of my gfs hooked up with one of our longtime high school crushes too, which was pretty entertaining. Overall it was pretty fun, but it was stressful too.....but more the anticipation that was stressful....the reality was pretty illuminating. (Like, my mean inner monologue going...'OH, I had such a crush on you and you wouldn't give me the time of day and now....well, you're an arrogant MBA who's just not aging well....can I loan you some sunscreen??')
2.gif

It was fun, but it can't help but bring out your inner catty/defensive 15 year old. What was fun was the hairline and belly watch for the boys and the cleavage watch for the girls: across the board, the guys (esp. the married ones) looked worse, and the girls looked HOT!!
11.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha DF I went to an all girls school. Pretty boring!!!!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never gone to any of my reunions. I haven''t seen anyone from high school since graduation and can''t think of any reason to see them at this late date.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I went to my 10 year reunion about 7 years ago. It was a blast. I went with my childhood friend and we just laughed our butts off the entire time!! We grew up in NJ but both went to college in NYC. The reunion was back in NJ and it was interesting to see who had never left home. Many people were already married and having second or third children and they looked worse for wear. We were like the girls from Sex and the City who had cool jobs, sexy outfits and were still single. All the other girls all looked matronly and old. Most of the guys were balding and fat. I was definitely a "late bloomer" so I know I look a million times better now than I did in high school and it was so much fun to see how badly all the "pretty people" were aging!!! The best part of the story is that I actually did get to have a little romance with one of my high school crushes, but alas, it was short-lived and I finally got to stomp on his heart!!
11.gif
Ah, good times, good times!!!!

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I went to the 10 year reunion. It was terrible. People were still fairly immature as far as I could tell, and some of them still hadn''t even finished college yet! I don''t know what they''d been doing for 10 years, but those were the ones who were still acting just like they did in high school, so I guess they were suffering from delayed maturity at that point...lol. I went to my sister''s 20 year reunion with her, she was 2 years behind me. I had a decent time, but then again, I always thought she had nicer people in her class. My 25 year reunion is next year, and the jury is still out on whether I will go to that one, either. Hopefully people have matured in 25 years, but the downside is that I haven''t really kept in touch with that many people from my class. Most of the people that I was friends with in highschool moved pretty far away after graduation or college, so I don''t see them over once every few years. Most of the guys I dated were not in my class, and that''s the only other reason I''d go...to see how they look now.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I went to my 10yr reunion. It was okay.
My 20th is this year. Geez- I''m old

I haven''t returned the paperwork yet. I can''t plan that far ahead.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
my school didn''t even have a 10 year reunion
20.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2005 4:22:32 PM
Author: sevens one

No you''re not!! You are wise and experienced.
2.gif
1.gif
36.gif

I was literally giving birth to my son when my 10 year reunion was taking place and I was so looking forward to going to my 20th (last year) but alas no one organized one so it didn''t happen.
7.gif
I had heard the 10th was a blast so perhaps there will be a 25th!?!

Heather

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Well I guess I am even older and wiser than you Sevens. I finally went to one of my high school reunions (30th) two years ago! It was really kind of bizarre after all those years. Everyone either looked exactly the same as they did in high school or they had changed so completely you had no idea who they were! I was bored to tears as none of my close friends were able to attend and I realized that I could really care less about most of those people!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Never been and likely never will go. I don't like ANYONE I went to HS with. All of my friends were at other schools in the districts and almost everyone at my school was pretty much loaded and stuck up and anorexic.

I have no desire to see anyone I went to HS with and really could care less if they made anything of themselves.

I figure if I had long-lost friends that I wanted to see that I hadn't since college Id go but since I don't...eh. Not worth the money. Not sure if you are "supposed" to pay to attend but this school charges like 50-100 a head to get in.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/9/2005 4:22:32 PM
Author: sevens one

7/1
35.gif

6.gif
your that young?
31.gif

OldBride

Rough_Rock
I went to my 30th a few years ago. My very best friend from high school was there, and, although we''ve kept in touch, seeing her was worth the trip. My observations were that the "smart kids" aged better than the "not too smart kids," and the women were far more recognizable than the men. I guess male pattern baldness has something to do with that.
Basically, I still keep in touch with four good friends from high school, and couldn''t possibly care less about the rest.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
I not only went, I and my best friend planned our 10th. Then I went to the 15th and 20th planned by someone else. For the 25th my best friend and some of our friends got together and just hung out for a weekend. I loved HS and enjoy seeing a few of those I graduated with. I was very involved with my class and the whole school. Cheerleader, involved in class projects, etc. There are 3 or 4 people I see regularly. My best friend and I still vacation together with our families, although our kids are mostly grown, so we''re gonna start doing couples trips together. My DH''s 30th is coming up this fall. He didn''t like HS as much as I did. We may go.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/9/2005 3:22:53 PM
Author: kaleigh
Haha DF I went to an all girls school. Pretty boring!!!!

Kaleigh I agree 100%! Bo-ring. I hated my all girls school but I did get a good education. My mom always wondered how the faculty dealt with 9 straight months of pms! LOL

My ten year was last year and I refused to go. It was like $100 per PERSON to go to have hor'deurves, soda and beer in the SCHOOL CAFETERIA. $200 a couple! What a joke!

I HATED high school. All those girls were mean and snotty rich kids. The only person I still keep in touch with is my friend Lisa who is my maid of honor in my wedding in October, and she truly is the only one I care to see anyway! I wasnt a nerd but not popular and did go through a few awkward stages and got picked on a bit

But boy if they could see me now...maybe I should have gone! LOL!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I went to a HS "reunion" of sorts some years ago. My HS was extremely small so they don''t organize reunions by years. I think I may have been out of school for maybe four or five years. Of course at that time everyone looked pretty much the same. What I found surprising was that many of the teachers seemed surprised that I had actullay made something of myself.
emcrook.gif

In HS I would say I was "popular" and I had a core group of cool friends, but I was also very outspoken and rebellious, especially when I felt others were being wronged. For some reason, the faculty seemed to think this was a negative character trait, which I think is why they thought I''d never make a success out of myself. Contrary to their assumptions, I did very well.

I say all that to say that I would never go to another HS reunion! I am still close after over 15 years to the girls I was friends with in HS, and I am not interested in seeing anyone else. I get updates from my friends.
emwink.gif

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Well, there haven''t been enough years yet for me to have a high school reunion, but I can speak for my parents...

My mom never went to any of hers. She was friends with people from a different class than her so she didn''t have a desire to see her own class.

My dad went to his 10 year and he said everyone was trying to impress everyone else. He said he was one of the only people with kids (my brother and I were practically infants at that time). He just recently went to his 30th reunion and said it was the best! After 30 years, nobody is trying to impress eachother anymore and he had a great time reminiscing about the good & the bad.

I probably will not go to my reunions since I was in band and my friends were scattered throughout the years.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Well no, but I have been gone long enough for there to have been one.
My parents have never gone. They both insist that the only person they want to see from HS is the one they are married to.
30.gif
(Started dating at 15) but then neither of them finished HS they both left early my dad his soph year and my mother her junior year to go off to college rather then to finish HS.
I stayed for all four years so maybe I will feel diffrently but I doubt it.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I went to my 10th, was totally into it, then blew off both my 20th and my 25th (this summer) cuz I was totally NOT into it. Maybe when my 30th, 40th or 50th (God willing I'm still alive) comes I'll change my mind.

But I doubt it.
15.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went to both tenth and twentieth. TOTALLY agree that the girls who were amazing in HS had clearly peaked, and most of the rest of girls looked really good. Alas, the men did not seem to age as well. The worst part was, a guy friend I had really wanted to see had been murdered a couple months prior and I found out that night. I have really needed to clear something up with him , and now could not. He was buying drugs in LA and was beaten and left to die in the streets. I never even knew the extent of his issues, when we graduated he would disappear (rehab long term) and then resurface, never saying where he had been. I did not ever do drugs so was a bit naive about it. I called his dad, thinking he would not even remember me, wanted to pay my condolences, it was his only child and namesake. He rememebered me from 20 years plus prior, and was touched I called. This friend had a tough childhood, parent''s divorced, teased a lot, in a fantasy world to escape his pain, and i think his dad appreciated my call. I still feel so sad about it, it was 2 years ago July...Just generally feel most reunions are about showing how great you are doing (my one single friend who was overweight and out of work at the time refused to go, she felt she had nothing to be proud of, it broke my heart!)...and you cannot go back, even if the were your glory days...

solange

Brilliant_Rock
My husband and I went to high school together and knew many of the same people. We did not hang out in the same group and barely knew each other. It was a very large school. We met on a blilnd date a few years later.

We attended the 30 year reuniion. I enjoyed it but he hated it and will never go again. It was so strange to see that some of the most popular people had turned out to be really dull and not very successful.

One student, who was considered a real creep has a very successful ladies garment business. He had been left back at least once and certainly did not go to college. If I mentioned the name, you would probably recognize it. Another "loser" has a large cattle ranch. The most popular girl is now fat, loud and vulgar. And one of the prettiest girls looked awful. She had had a facelift and it was not becoming. Her face looked frozen and I did not recognize her.

Shortly after we got there, there was an announcement that there was a Ferrari with an M.D. license plate that would be towed if not moved from a driveway. I think it was deliberately done to attract attention because there was a valet. Of course everyone looked to see who it was. It turned out that it was my former boyfriend. He broke up with me when he went to Harvard and I had to work and go to college at night. He made it clear that he was "upper class" and I was not. He always was a pompous jerk and he had not changed. He didn't look that great either. I was sad at the time but I married themost wonderful person. My husband was also not from an "upper class" family. He worked hard and built a very successful real estate firm in Manhattan and I am very proud of him.

It was also very sad to hear of friends who had died. I did not realize there would be so many and you often do not find out until you connect with other people from the same graduating class.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We went to my 10 just because I was curious to see who went and what everyone was doing, how they''d changed etc. Alot of the same old cliques hung out...it was fairly interesting to see who had kids, what they did, who got married.

But I''d venture to say the real interesting stuff comes at the 20 or 25 year mark when people have really made a ''life'' for themselves!

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I went to my 10 year...only because my best friend from HS made me promise that I would go or she wouldn''t! Surprisingly, it was more fun than I expected! My husband loved meeting all the people I had grown up with, and the best part was the informal gathering the night before the reunion at the local pub! Everyone loved my husband''s Boston accent and kept buying him drinks so they could listen to him talk!

I always dated the "older" guys, so there weren''t any old flames to run into...although according to my husband, some of the guys cursed themselves for not having the guts to ask me out way back when! And, one guy who always got tongue tied when I talked to him in school, still had the same reaction and gave my husband dirty looks all night!

Male pattern baldness seems to be the big trend noticed by everyone here, and I saw exactly the same thing! There were so many guys that had lost their hair!! I also noticed that a lot of the "less popular" people showed up...and I was really surprised, since high school didn''t seem to be that much fun for them. Guess it''s a good time to show off to everyone what you grew up to be in the real world!

Sadly, my 20th is creeping up rather quickly....but we''ll probably go since we had so much fun last time, and it''s a good excuse for a vacation!

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. Not going. I''ve only been out of hs 8 years, but I got the invite for our 5 year reunion (when did they start doing that btw?? 5 years?!) and I said a big "he** no" to that! After my parents split up when I was 14, I moved with my dad to this little hick hs in the boonies. I had always gone to city schools with overcrowded hallways, and suddenly I am in this little school that has like 400 kids total. To make matters worse, everyone had grown up together since they were babies, so I was definitely "the new girl" and the "city girl" that no one liked. They all started calling me a bit** and a sl*t, even though I never once dated a guy from that school. Bascially they were just jealous of me and had to call me names to feel better about themselves and not be so threatened. I hated every minute of that school. The real clincher is: I left as SOON as I turned 18, moved back to the city with my mom. I had a graduating class of only 92 kids. of that, within the first 2 years of graduation 20 GIRLS from my class were pregnant!! 20!
6.gif
I''ve run into a few of them since then, most of them are terribly unhappy and alot of them have substance abuse probs now. I feel bad for their kids who have to grow up with losers for parents, no daddy (for the most part), and are likely faced with the same fate themselves, unless they set their minds to making a better life for themselves when THEY become adults.....
15.gif

So no, I won''t be going. I am going to my husband''s reunion next year though. He says he wants to show me off and call me his "trophy wife"
20.gif
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
This is so timely. Last night, I was talking about the 20th reunion with my best guy friend from highschool. Hubby was lamenting about all the drunk middleaged men that had to tell him "I had such a crush on your wife in HS." Funny, all of it was a newsflash to me. We had a small class & as such most people got along. I did have one very nice thing happen that I totally forgot. I was having a devil of a time in chemistry. So, when it was time for partners, I sought out the smartest one in the class (not very altruistic mind you). She was a shy bookish girl that no one had asked to be her partner. Turns out she was rather interesting with a wicked sense of humour. We became friendly. She must have remembered that fondly as she came up to me and recalled it saying "it made her Senior year bearable" To which my reply was "you made my Senior year *passable*." Turns out she is a highly successful executive chemist with one of the major pharmacutical companies - no longer bookish or shy with a really cute husband.
2.gif

Also, I went to hubby''s 20th. Strange how very similar we were in HS. Hung with the popular group - but had our own set of friends apart from that. Both of us were involved in our school. Both of us on Student Council. Both of us involved in athletics.

I attended my 10th - but it wasn''t nearly as interesting as my 20th.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/10/2005 11:39:02 AM
Author: fire&ice
This is so timely. Last night, I was talking about the 20th reunion with my best guy friend from highschool. Hubby was lamenting about all the drunk middleaged men that had to tell him ''I had such a crush on your wife in HS.'' Funny, all of it was a newsflash to me. We had a small class & as such most people got along. I did have one very nice thing happen that I totally forgot. I was having a devil of a time in chemistry. So, when it was time for partners, I sought out the smartest one in the class (not very altruistic mind you). She was a shy bookish girl that no one had asked to be her partner. Turns out she was rather interesting with a wicked sense of humour. We became friendly. She must have remembered that fondly as she came up to me and recalled it saying ''it made her Senior year bearable'' To which my reply was ''you made my Senior year *passable*.'' Turns out she is a highly successful executive chemist with one of the major pharmacutical companies - no longer bookish or shy with a really cute husband.
2.gif

Also, I went to hubby''s 20th. Strange how very similar we were in HS. Hung with the popular group - but had our own set of friends apart from that. Both of us were involved in our school. Both of us on Student Council. Both of us involved in athletics.

I attended my 10th - but it wasn''t nearly as interesting as my 20th.
I totally relate to the newsflash thing. My husband and I lived in my hometown for the first 10 years that we were married. He ended up meeting quite a few of the people that I''d gone to highschool with over the years, and he used to tell me that so-and-so says they were a good friend of yours in school, or what''s-his-name said he used to have a big crush on you in highschool, and that sort of thing. I''d be like "what?" Most of those people had very little if anything to do with me, and if they considered themselves to be my friends or had crushes on me, I sure didn''t know anything about it at the time...lol!

I was pretty much one of the "band geeks" when I was in school, and was also considered one of the smart kids. I wasn''t really all that shy or anything, but I didn''t date much until my junior and senior year, because I was a late bloomer, and didn''t attract the boys too much until then. My sister, who was 2 years younger, was a cheerleader and student council member all through school. I hung out with a lot of those people too, because my sister and I hung out together. I even had a few friends who were considered to be a little on the wild side, mostly because I used to have a thing for motorcycles. I hung out with the "tough" guys sometimes who smoked and rode around with other biker guys, just so I could ride around on the back of their bikes...gave my my fits and made a lot of my girl buddies roll their eyes at me
20.gif
...LOL!

All this talk about reunions is kind of swaying me toward going to my 25th next year. I haven''t been to one since the 10th, and since I didn''t enjoy it much, wasn''t all the gung-ho about going to any others. Maybe it would be fun, just to see how bald all the guys are, and how many of the girls have had plastic surgery...
27.gif

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
I went to my 10 year 6 months ago, or so.

I had a BLAST! I went to a school full of very wealthy families. I assumed people would be trying to show-off and elevate their successes... But surprisingly, no one did! Not one person was acting ''upity''.

It was very nice to see and reconnect with old friends whom I lost contact with, even for just an evening.

I look forward to the 20 year reunion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results