April 10th property tax due... ;(
April 15th income tax due... ;(

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Yep - the money was withdrawn from our account yesterday :(sad

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, sent in the completed paperwork last week or so and now waiting for refund. Last year (or was it the year before) we owed the government and this year we overestimated the taxes we had to pay so they owe us. We'll see how long that refund takes. Tap tap tap. ::) I hate them having our (overpayment) money but when you work as I do as an independent consultant you do the best you can when paying estimated taxes and it's not an exact science.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Done. :praise:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I have. I hate doing taxes for two countries, at two different times of the year. What I really hate is the fact that I've filled out my taxes and mailed them dutifully to the IRS every year for the last 8 years I've been living overseas -- and I have not received one bit of confirmation that they have ever been received and/or processed. I hope they're not disappearing into an abyss. Doing international back taxes would be an absolute nightmare.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Mine is paid directly (paye) but my husband's taxes need their own accountant. Bleurgh!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last week we gave our accountant the information he needs to prepare our returns. Waiting for him to do his work so we can see how everything shakes out.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea we actually owed this year so I waited to mail it til last week. State we get a refund on though. We still were WAY later than normal, though. Normally it's done and filed by like Jan 15 and spent by Feb 1. lol

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Done. Got the refunds. Spent them.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EEK! Thanks for that property tax reminder, DF!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I promised our tax guy I'd get our stuff to him early this year....

On my list of stuff to finish this week!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's our first year to do taxes together. I'm an over-achiever when it comes to organizing and he shoves everything into a drawer and when that one fills up he starts another. We waited until the last minute and it has not been a pleasant week trying to get everything together to send to the accountant. I'm crossing my fingers that we don't owe too much.

angela06

Shiny_Rock
Not yet. My hubby does it and we've had the software (Turbo Tax) for a month now, but we've been procrastinating. Could be the fact that we have had to pay extra each year lately..

April20

Ideal_Rock
Not yet. We need to get our info to our accountant. We are both self employed, but DHs business in an LLC and more complicated than mine. Our return can't be done until the corporate return is done.

Either way I am sure we owe money. I refuse to write that check until I have to.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, I knew I'd forgotten something ... is it April already :D ?

Yep, ours are done, I always try to do them by the end of Feb.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Just saw a refund in my bank account :twirl:

Does everybody use an accountant? My husband and I have been using Turbotax. I wonder if we should start using an accountant.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just picked up my tax stuff from our accountant last Friday and we need to pay again.
It's at least less than last year, but after last year, we did change around a few things so we were hoping to possibly break even. When we dropped off our taxes this year, he looked them over quickly and said that we would have to pay under $2k, but he would see if he could work it so we would break even.
I guess he was wrong because the amount is a lot more and we not only have to pay federal, but NJ and NY as well.

I haven't mailed it out yet. I was waiting until this Friday's payday.

I guess I have to look into what other changes we can make.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got my appointment tomorrow night!! I quit my primary job at the end of 2012, and only worked per diem for 11 months in 2013. I hope that means I get a good chunk of $ back! I'll have 0 income this year, so I'm kind of excited for not having to report taxes for 2014.

Edit: I totally forgot to even make an appointment til I saw this thread :lol: so thanks DF! Or I'd be hunted down by the IRS!!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Done & done, both federal and state. I hit a new record this year, was filed before the end of Feb! Woot!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1396481597|3646180 said:
I've got my appointment tomorrow night!! I quit my primary job at the end of 2012, and only worked per diem for 11 months in 2013. I hope that means I get a good chunk of $ back! I'll have 0 income this year, so I'm kind of excited for not having to report taxes for 2014.

Edit: I totally forgot to even make an appointment til I saw this thread :lol: so thanks DF! Or I'd be hunted down by the IRS!!
I get a 20% cut for reminding you... :appl:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Done and done.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1396565718|3646882 said:
madelise|1396481597|3646180 said:

I get a 20% cut for reminding you... :appl:

20% cut of not much isn't much!! :lol: :wavey:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it's time for me to hunker down and do those taxes! :errrr: :lol:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Final numbers from our accountant today weren't good. However, they were a result of positive taxable events, so I guess it's all fine in the end. Still, we'll be writing checks. Overall, better than getting a sizable refund after having given the government an interest-free loan.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
My accountant finished ours Monday. Nice refund coming :bigsmile:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And my taxes are DONE!!!!

Refunds a'comin' my way! :$$):

I'd insert the appropriate exuberant emoties but I don't have any energy left to figure that out. :tongue:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mary poppins|1397103215|3650982 said:
Final numbers from our accountant today weren't good. However, they were a result of positive taxable events, so I guess it's all fine in the end. Still, we'll be writing checks. Overall, better than getting a sizable refund after having given the government an interest-free loan.

Usually I would agree with you 100% but after owing taxes last year (or was it the year before last...time is flying by) it was nice to get a refund this year instead. Plus it allowed me/us (without feeling any twinge of guilt whatsoever) to use that money for 1. garage funding for my dh 2.repainting and ripping out carpet and putting in hardwood on the 2nd floor of beach house and 3. retirement funding- so win win for us this year for us.

Sure the government had our money (but not all year as we pay throughout the year) but it was money we wouldn't have necessarily used for above projects because we didn't know we had it until tax time. The reason we overpaid by so much was that we weren't sure of any tax changes that were taking effect until it was time to file. Things were up in the air and we thought we would owe more so we paid more just to make sure.

No regrets for us but not going to make a habit of overpaying that is for sure because in the long run not a smart way to save money. With that I agree mary poppins!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results