shape
carat
color
clarity

Did the Senator kill his son in self defense?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1384897651|3559454 said:
From the article "Gus Deeds had been given a mental health evaluation under an emergency custody order Monday, but was released because no psychiatric bed could be located across a wide area of western Virginia"

Mental illness is something many, many families deal with every day.

So sad. ::)

Mental illness can be even harder to diagnose and treat than physical ilness, because it can't always be 'seen'. That, and like physical illness, there's many different mental ilnesses out there. I've fought a battle with (prescription) drug-induced psychosis for the last few years, so it gives me a glimpse of what others might be dealing with. It's not pretty. I only wish there was a reliable way to get treatment to those who need it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Laurie :)) It is a calling. I know my patients know I sincerely care about them and even though most are only with us for a few days, that's important to me. Asking for help is so difficult so I try to make the experience as positive as possible. Planting the seed so to speak. We do get people who come back to the hospital but I resist the urge to use disrespectful "jargon." I only see them as hurting people who need help and had the courage to come back. Not all of my patients make it. Sometimes life is just too painful. I only wish them peace they could not find in this life.

Like you said no system is perfect! There are things I would like to change but I do think our state handles things better than others. I also find it helps to know someone in the field for inside information. My friend in NC took her husband to the hospital because he was having suicidal thoughts and he was treated terribly. I told her to ask for a copy of "mental health patient rights." She said things turned around once they were aware she knew more than maybe the average family member. There are tricks and loopholes that the general public are not aware about.

I find anyone in recovery for drug/alcohol addiction is a miracle. It is a tough disease and everything has to change. I cannot even imagine what that fight is like and I respect those in recovery greatly. Change only happens when the pain of staying the same becomes more painful than the pain of changing. Some folks don't get there. It is a truly horrible disease than ruins families. I would gladly give up my job for a cure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results