shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond engagement rings are so over

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my friends got a beautiful sapphire with diamond halo ering, another friend got a Celtic band, and my aunt preferred diamond earrings instead of a ring. I think they are all great alternatives.

Post is based on an article I just saw on cnn.com

Maybe a diamond isn't every girl's best friend.

More brides to be are choosing non-traditional engagement rings over the standard white diamond solitaire that has adorned women's left hands for so long.

Jewelers across the country are reporting an increase in couples looking for alternatives like colored diamonds, gemstones and bands to symbolize their commitment.

New York-based jewelry designer Anna Sheffield said the shift has been a main driver to her business's success. "People want something that is unique and specific to them," she said.
natural sapphire company Sapphires are the most durable non-dimaond gemstone

Unlike most trends that are fueled by young shoppers, Amanda Gizzi from Jewelers of America, said older women are leading the charge. "They know more of who they are and want something that doesn't fit the norm and what all their girlfriends have." Rings without an elevated diamond are also more comfortable and fit in better with an active lifestyle, she added.

China drives global diamond jewelery sales to $79 billion

The price tag is also a big factor. "The guy paying for it is more excited that it costs less," said Michael Arnstein, president of the Natural Sapphire Company, which sells nearly 200 sapphire engagement rings a month. A round-shape 1.20 carat sapphire with 0.16 carats of diamonds on an 18-karat white gold ban sells for $3,500 on the company's website. "It's well agreed in the trade that a sapphire engagement ring will cost about half of what a comparable diamond would cost," he said.

Diamond prices could remain high, especially as the number of diamond mines declines. Higher prices could further ignite the trend of substitutions as the star of engagement rings.

People have also been more drawn to other precious stones to avoid conflict diamonds. Arnstein said there is no gemological way to prove where a diamond came from based on its characteristics. "With the sapphire, it's totally possible to determine where it came from based on the inclusions."
sheffield anne 2 Colored diamonds are becoming more popular

Tiffany stock is better than diamonds

He added that non-diamond engagement rings have become more socially acceptable thanks to major celebrities like Kate Middleton and Penelope Cruz rocking the blue gemstone. "Women tend to think, 'if it's good enough for the future Queen of England, I can do it too.'" He said sapphires, which can come in many different colors, are viewed as less flashy and convey a more conservative style.

Colored diamonds have also become more common on engagement rings, specifically champagne and black diamonds, according to Sheffield. She's also seen strong demand for rubies, emeralds and sapphires.

Leigh Plessner from jewelry store Catbird said the company first started selling engagement rings unintentionally. "We had small delicate rings in the store and noticed people were looking at them for engagement rings." The store doesn't sell traditional solitaires, but diamonds do make up a large part of their offering in non-traditional settings. "We aren't actively rebelling against a beautiful solitaire, we just offer a wider range that speaks to us."

But there's a reason diamonds became the engagement ring norm: they're durable and classic.
sheffield anne 4 The diamond solitaire has growing competition

Related: See a 75 carat yellow diamond ring

Jim Rosenheim, CEO of Tiny Jewel Box in Washington, D.C., said when couples come in inquiring about non-diamond rings, he tries to educate them on their options. Sapphires are second in durability to the diamond, but other options aren't as tough.

"Most colored stones don't have the durability that will allow them to be worn in the manner engagement rings are without sustaining significant wear and damage over a long period of time."

He also warns customers that their engagement ring is not the place to make a fashion statement. "You don't want to look at your ring in a year or two and think, 'what was I thinking?'"

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/06/luxury/diamond-engagement-rings/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Much as I love colored stones and alternative and unique options for e-rings, I am doubtful about the accuracy of this article. there were no statistics of buying, no pols, nothing to support the statements of those quoted who have an interest in projecting this as a real trend. Every since Zucker took over cnn their reporting has been dreadful, and the stories on their website even worse. It seems to me that 95% of the stories on cnn.com are soft advertisements. CNN was a failing network and brought jeff zucker in to make them profitable. Diamond e-rings aren't going away and if they do, poorly cut overpriced sapphires from nsc will not be taking their place.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sincerely doubt that diamond E-Rings are over or are going out of fashion any time soon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, that is A-OK with me as that just leaves more diamonds for us. :devil:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, I don't think diamond e-rings are over, either. I put the title of the article as the title of the thread.

Most people I know, as well as people in the general population I see while out, are still sporting diamond e-rings. It is nice to see a non-traditional e-ring once in a while, though.

I like your optimism, missy!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find this very hard to beleive. I have 5 nieces that are in their early to mid twenties. When the time comes they have ALL said they want a diamond engagement ring and the bigger the better! As soon as I walk in the door one of the girls takes my ring and wears it.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1415336660|3778979 said:
Much as I love colored stones and alternative and unique options for e-rings, I am doubtful about the accuracy of this article. there were no statistics of buying, no pols, nothing to support the statements of those quoted who have an interest in projecting this as a real trend. Every since Zucker took over cnn their reporting has been dreadful, and the stories on their website even worse. It seems to me that 95% of the stories on cnn.com are soft advertisements. CNN was a failing network and brought jeff zucker in to make them profitable. Diamond e-rings aren't going away and if they do, poorly cut overpriced sapphires from nsc will not be taking their place.
Ditto.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I gotta say, over in the Colored Stones thread, there are dozens of people looking for blue sapphires for e-rings. Ad nauseum.

I think it IS an excellent alternative to diamonds, and I think Kate's ring has a lot to do with it. Just like the early '80's, when Princess Di wore the sapphire, it was heavily copied then too.

I don't think it's an overwhelming trend, though.

I Would like to see the original Victorian trend, though: wearing the husband's birth stone as the wedding ring. I thought that was a lot more personal.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

All the "news" shows are now awful, Vapid. It's all "newsotainment" now. So yes, I agree, it's all advertising in a thin disguise.

But I have to tell you, throughout the years, when I bought magazine ad space for my clients, I would insist that the client also receive free "editorial coverage" in the magazine. It was always given. I guess TV news is doing it too.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always wanted a 2+ carat emerald engagement ring. Not to wear every day, but on occasion. My mother never wore an e-ring, just a plain 18k yg very wide band, so I thought that's what I wanted as well--it always looked so simple and elegant on her hand. Emerald is my birthstone, and I had seen a woman wearing a large emerald e-ring once and was just stunned by how beautiful and different it was. I grew up in the 80s and 90s when Princess Diana wore her sapphire e-ring, so colored stone e-rings to me were not shockingly different, just more unusual which I liked.

No one else was on the same page with me, however, so my engagement rings have been diamonds. I'm not exactly complaining. :lol:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love colored stones: judging from the various wedding sites, I definitely think that they (and the new generation of sims) are picking up steam, but I think it's economically driven. A lot of the women I see planning happily for their morganite engagement rings are doing so with upgrades explicitly in the plans.

Now, I think upgrades are totally cool (though please, if you're considering a morganite, look up the details of their durability, or lack thereof). But I don't think it indicates a drop-off in diamond popularity, just a different attitude as to what it means to live in the moment.

In the past, it seems like people prioritized the fact that it was a diamond over anything else: it might display a modest set of circumstances, but, hey, so be it. Now they seem to be geared towards a somewhat different sense of priorities, and it's interesting to figure out what they are. Aspirational? Driven by individual tastes, when a lady would rather look down at a sizeable stone? It probably depends a lot on the individual, but I'd be curious as to what the dominant trends were ....

P.S. - Until the time when I got my first sizeable cut diamond, I was positive I wanted a gorgeous, unusual, colored stone. My husband was more traditional. Looks like he created a monster .... :Up_to_something:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
And what's that about diamond mines producing less? Umm, don't think so. Certainly not enough to diminish the supply, just ask de Beers. This article is nice advertising for NSC but no news story.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well said.

As an aside, here is a sample of "highly set" sapphire rings for resale at an Estate vendor. I guess these colored stone rings didn't suit all the active people who once owned them. :loopy:

http://eragem.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?limit=all&q=sapphire+rings

cheers--Sharon

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1415380189|3779239 said:
I love colored stones: judging from the various wedding sites, I definitely think that they (and the new generation of sims) are picking up steam, but I think it's economically driven. A lot of the women I see planning happily for their morganite engagement rings are doing so with upgrades explicitly in the plans.

Now, I think upgrades are totally cool (though please, if you're considering a morganite, look up the details of their durability, or lack thereof). But I don't think it indicates a drop-off in diamond popularity, just a different attitude as to what it means to live in the moment.

In the past, it seems like people prioritized the fact that it was a diamond over anything else: it might display a modest set of circumstances, but, hey, so be it. Now they seem to be geared towards a somewhat different sense of priorities, and it's interesting to figure out what they are. Aspirational? Driven by individual tastes, when a lady would rather look down at a sizeable stone? It probably depends a lot on the individual, but I'd be curious as to what the dominant trends were ....

P.S. - Until the time when I got my first sizeable cut diamond, I was positive I wanted a gorgeous, unusual, colored stone. My husband was more traditional. Looks like he created a monster .... :Up_to_something:

oh my god the sheer lust for morganites on the wedding forums. It's so weird to me.

Of my peers, there are several subsets: the diamond engagement ring group (anyone who belonged to a sorority is in this, as well as other people who you might suspect to have belonged to a sorority even if they didn't + those who are or once were active in the church), the at-least-gemstone-accent group (the nerds & artsy types), the cheap gemstone or sim (those who didn't go to college or who did but have a blue collar job and married a firefighter/policeman), and the tiny diamonds or rough diamonds (hipsters, people who watched "Blood Diamond" too many times but who don't want to go with a plain band or no ring - probably have the same income as the blue collar group).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"... so over" is of course an exaggeration to catch your eye.
I mean, here were are talking about it and getting more people to click the link and see their ads.

Hmmm.

I'm always suspicious when I see media influencing the buying public.
Perhaps the colored stone industry is planting stories.

But, sure, I think it's great more people are using alternatives like durable sapphires and rubies ... I just wish they didn't mention emeralds since they are not durable enough to hold up to a lifetime of daily wear and tear.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"If a sapphire is good enough for Kate Middleton..."

I don't know that she wanted a sapphire, she didn't have much choice. Her ring doesn't really suit her. It's too old lady.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1415388441|3779352 said:
Sharon, I see many pretty right hand rings there!

Agreed Callie; notwithstanding the VCA ruby ring. :love:

cheers--Sharon

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
In the part of Europe where I live people really do not wear sapphire engagement rings, it is either that they only wear a wedding band, wear sims or a diamond. Those that do wear diamond engagement rings and they are generally the wealthier, wear diamonds in the under half a carat category in over 90 % of the cases. Sapphires, I cannot tell when was the last time I saw someone rocking a sapphire engagement ring. Emerald rings are more popular here I think but not as engagement rings. Morganites, yes people are crazy about them, they are very much in style right now but then I think pink gemstones in general tend to be quite popular. OTOH, I see most people wearing morganites in earrings over here.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
mary poppins|1415334748|3778972 said:
Unlike most trends that are fueled by young shoppers, Amanda Gizzi from Jewelers of America, said older women are leading the charge. "They know more of who they are and want something that doesn't fit the norm and what all their girlfriends have."

I thought that FI and I were getting a very special, unique ring by choosing a ruby. Instead, I'm just part of a marketing demographic.... 8)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results