shape
carat
color
clarity

DF, Kenny, any other watch enthusiasts..

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in unknown territory! Eek! Any suggestions on what brands or types of watches to be looking at with a $1-2K budget, including tax? And where to look? This is for a man.

Yeah, maybe I should've been shopping on Black Friday or Cyber Monday :p

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too broad. You'll need to narrow it down a bit. Is he sporty? Classic? Sailing? Diving? Racing? Does he love luxury and ease or does he love mechanical devices? A few preferences will help narrow the field down a bit.

Hamilton watches come immediately to my mind though, as an all-purpose watch company with some great styles. They run the range of rugged to sporty to American classic, and won't break the bank. I've purchased two for my husband, one more casual and the other more dressy, and both mechanical - in the 500 to 1000 range.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of watch guys would recommend...Hamilton,Frederique Constant,Tissot,Longines.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1386096943|3566835 said:
Too broad. You'll need to narrow it down a bit. Is he sporty? Classic? Sailing? Diving? Racing? Does he love luxury and ease or does he love mechanical devices? A few preferences will help narrow the field down a bit.

Yup!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I'm no help.
I did buy a Rolex 20 years ago, but even then I did zero research. :nono:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the brief thread-jack, but...

DF, is there anyone in the Sacramento area that you'd recommend to service or repair a vintage (i.e. mechanical) watch? Thanks.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1386125677|3567094 said:
Sorry for the brief thread-jack, but...

DF, is there anyone in the Sacramento area that you'd recommend to service or repair a vintage (i.e. mechanical) watch? Thanks.
Sorry VR, I have no idea.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um, I think classic? I don't even know what those mean really :errrr: Would it be a big no-no to just pick something "pretty" in budget at Nordstrom?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought DH a Hamilton dress watch, Jazzmaster thinline model, for his bday last year. He loves that watch - very clean design that fits under the cuff of his dress shirts. Hasn't worn his rolex since then.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1386129874|3567144 said:
Um, I think classic? I don't even know what those mean really :errrr: Would it be a big no-no to just pick something "pretty" in budget at Nordstrom?
Costco... ;))

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need more direction. When should he wear this: work, on the weekend, special occasions, or some combination of these? What else does he wear?

Any watch I like, I'm sure my bf will hate. I have to constantly struggle against what I think is beautiful and what I think he will like.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
I think that watches is guy bling just like jewelry is woman bling. So the receiver is usually very particular about it. I bought a watch for DH (birthday gift), realized he didn't like it, felt that I fell short so bought him another watch for Christmas, could tell that I still didn't get his preference right, bought another and so on. I must have bought him 5-6 watches during those early years when we did surprise gifts. I think a better way is to show him a magazine and causally chat about it to find out his preference.

Tip: I learnt something from these incidences. What he said he likes and what he would wear might also be different. Just like I love the look of halo rings but I might not wear them due to maintenance. I have a halo sapphire ring which I wear frequently yet I haven't halo a single diamond. So might as well ask him what watch he wants to wear subtly. That's why I no longer buy surprise gifts.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Classic. You say he's classic. Well, you really can't go wrong then, because classic is pretty easy, really.

In general, (IMO I suppose) classic is less complications (all those sub-dials and knobs) and has a cleaner look. The Hamilton Thinline that babymonster mentioned, is very American classic. Hamilton is the quintissential "American" watch.
http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/american-classic/jazzmaster/thinline-quartz/h38511553

I would have loved for my husband to have this watch, which is totally classic and by a very high-end maker - but it was ridiculously expensive,
http://www.clockmaker.com.au/w/k3174.html

so kept an eye out for several years and finally him this one instead. He was very particular about what he liked, and it doesn't come in combinations that don't break the bank very often. Anyway, It had all the features he was wanting, silver face, Arabic numerals, blued steel hands, and a second hand in a small sub-dial). Very clean, and similar to the one above, but at a fraction of the cost. He wears this one as a dress watch, even though it has a leather band.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f357/baselworld-2012-reveal-hamilton-khaki-navy-pioneer-limited-edition-644621-4.html (scroll down a bit)

Just some things to consider...

Most of the time, a metal bracelet is considered dressier than a leather band (depending on the watch and the guy's personal style of course - a croc band can be pretty plush).

Also, you need to consider the size of his wrist, the size of HIM. Men's watches have had a tendency to get stupidly large of late. A 38 to 40mm watch is considered pretty average. After that, they can start looking pretty stupid, IMO, like you're wearing a clock on your arm. The ones larger than 40 are generally the ones with lots of those complications. Oh, and the more complications you get, the better quality that watch should be, because to work correctly, those chronographs and such require some pretty wicked engineering. So, no, don't buy him just any old good-looking watch at Nordies.

Basically, you should know if he would prefer a light or dark dial face, arabic or roman numerals, or simple index marks, a sweeping second hand, a second hand sub-dial, or nothing, A date feature is handy. Everything past that is fluff, and only you know how much fluff your guy likes and how much you are willing to pay for. And you probably should know if he'd prefer a leather or metal band, and try to stay in the 38 to 40mm range. If he appreciates mechanical things then consider a mechanical watch. Mechanical watches are powered by either winding (the earlier version of mechanical and usually only for the hardcore) and mechanical "automatics" that wind from the movement of your wrist. Most are the latter kind. Both of the Hamiltons I got for my husband, are mechanicals with a glass back so you can see the movements. He loves that. If he is not into mechanical stuff, then stick with quartz, because it is less maintenence and more worry-free.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1386155794|3567270 said:
Classic. You say he's classic. Well, you really can't go wrong then, because classic is pretty easy, really.

I would have loved for my husband to have this watch, which is totally classic and by a very high-end maker - but it was ridiculously expensive,
Thanks,K!! ...I'll take it :!: my BD is coming soon.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know if your husband is into quartz or automatic watches? Is he a guy who wants a nice watch to impress other "Watch guys" he may meet at work? If that's the case, I'd go with an automatic over a quartz. But if he isn't a watch snob per se, or doesn't need to impress them, then maybe a quartz since they are lower (and cheaper) maintenance.

I'm a big automatic fan, I love a watch with heart and soul, and I love gear trains. For 1-2k I'd look into Ball watches. They have a great history with the American rail roads, and the designs are beautiful. I also love the tritium tubes.

For a class look, I love the new Ball Trainmaster Roman

Personally I've been drooling over their new moonphase.

ballroman.jpg

ballblue.jpg

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to thread jack but I'm also looking for a watch for my SO. He likes things with niche, he's got a bit of a hipster dofus streak in him. I was looking at the new Shinola watches. Can anyone comment on them? Good bad or ugly?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shinola sounds good for a dofus hipster. Maybe a vintage Omega or something could work.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MakingTheGrade|1386214554|3567913 said:
Do you know if your husband is into quartz or automatic watches? Is he a guy who wants a nice watch to impress other "Watch guys" he may meet at work? If that's the case, I'd go with an automatic over a quartz. But if he isn't a watch snob per se, or doesn't need to impress them, then maybe a quartz since they are lower (and cheaper) maintenance.

I'm a big automatic fan, I love a watch with heart and soul, and I love gear trains. For 1-2k I'd look into Ball watches. They have a great history with the American rail roads, and the designs are beautiful. I also love the tritium tubes.

I have no "balls"... ;(

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1386205154|3567776 said:
ksinger|1386155794|3567270 said:

Thanks,K!! ...I'll take it :!: my BD is coming soon.

Ha. Like you need ANOTHER Lange & Sohne watch. ;-)

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MakingTheGrade|1386214554|3567913 said:

I love Ball watches! And if 1-2k gets spent on one, it's gonna be for ME! :)

But if you want to see watches that just make me swoon check out RGMWatches.com. OMG. (But not exactly in the 1-2k range, admittedly)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1386133053|3567176 said:
madelise|1386129874|3567144 said:
Costco... ;))

I second this one. Watches are hard to buy for someone and he can always return to Costco, even without the receipt. They also have a lot of options on Costco.com. Costco website purchases can be returned to any Costco warehouse.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I just purchased a Frederique Constant for myself Wednesday. I went to a high end jeweler that carries Rolex, Patek Philippe, Tudor, Bedat, A Lange and Sohne, Tag and a few others.

I tried on several watches, loved one of the Rolex, didn't even ask to see the ultra high end goods. I wanted a nice every day watch and am quite pleased with my choice. My budget was $1k max. The sales guy gave me some nice information on the brand.
Seeing DF recommend the brand helps me validate my purchase decision. I plan on getting either a Cartier or Rolex next year.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
woofmama|1386386058|3569243 said:
I just purchased a Frederique Constant for myself Wednesday. I went to a high end jeweler that carries Rolex, Patek Philippe, Tudor, Bedat, A Lange and Sohne, Tag and a few others.

I tried on several watches, loved one of the Rolex, didn't even ask to see the ultra high end goods. I wanted a nice every day watch and am quite pleased with my choice. My budget was $1k max. The sales guy gave me some nice information on the brand.
Seeing DF recommend the brand helps me validate my purchase decision. I plan on getting either a Cartier or Rolex next year.
Heard many positive comments about FC watches on watch forums. congrats! Woofmama... :appl:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1386388187|3569276 said:

Heard many positive comments about FC watches on watch forums. congrats! Woofmama... :appl:

Thanks DF! Glad to get the seal of approval :)) Sorry for the threadjack Madelise ;))
Hope your watch search goes well!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
woofmama|1386393220|3569338 said:
Dancing Fire|1386388187|3569276 said:

Thanks DF! Glad to get the seal of approval :)) Sorry for the threadjack Madelise ;))
Hope your watch search goes well!
Wrist shot please!.. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results