shape
carat
color
clarity

Declawing cats. UGH! I had no idea.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never had a cat and confess I didn't pay much attention to the controversy of declawing cats.
I just saw the documentary film, "The Paw Project" and now I see there is no controversy at all.
Declawing cats is barbaric, evil, selfish, creates bigger problems for cat and human than damaged furniture, and is perpetuated by ignorance and greed.

It is like chopping off the last inch of your finger.
And it doesn't heal.
It festers, can lead to pain, infections, arthritis and inability for the cat to even walk.
Some declawed cats can't/don't use their litter boxes.
They can't defend themselves so they start biting even humans, leading to owners taking their cats to the pound where they will be put to sleep.

What a tragic cycle, all because people value their sofa's right to look perfect more than their cat's right to be a cat.

I'm so glad for the work people are doing to get declawing banned as it is in a long list of countries.
America is so behind the curve on this one.
The Veterinarian Associations are fighting the ban on declawing because vets make around $1,000 an hour doing this procedure.
The vet associations refused to be interviewed for the film.

I recommend this film, even if you don't have a cat.
Public education is sorely needed here to get the public to support a nation-wide ban.

"The Paw Project" is now streaming on Netflix.
http://www.pawprojectmovie.com

justginger

Ideal_Rock
It is terrible, and I don't adopt my fosters to families that disclose their other/past cats have been declawed (under their instruction, not adopted after the process was carried out).

We have one pet couch in the second lounge that we don't sit on - the dogs sit on it, and I don't scold the cats for scratching it. When it wears out, I'll just replace it with another secondhand one. It keeps them off/away from the couches we actually use. :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is illegal to declaw cats in the UK, thank goodness.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is inhumane and breaks my heart (and boggles my mind) that people still do this to their kitties. ;(

Our cats have destroyed several couches and damaged a number of pieces of furniture. However those are just things and we would never ever consider declawing them. People who care more about their things than their furbabies shouldn't adopt animals in the first place IMO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1403344407|3697867 said:
It is illegal to declaw cats in the UK, thank goodness.

Just another reason the UK rocks! :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought furniture protectors and a scratching post in readiness for my cat before I took her home, and am lucky in that she does not like to sharpen her claws when she is inside the house.

She likes being outside, and has her favourite bits of wood and fence posts outside the house for sharpening her claws.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1403346854|3697886 said:
I bought furniture protectors and a scratching post in readiness for my cat before I took her home, and am lucky in that she does not like to sharpen her claws when she is inside the house.

She likes being outside, and has her favourite bits of wood and fence posts outside the house for sharpening her claws.

My cats would have a heart attack if I even suggested they venture outside (not in their carriers that is). So domesticated and such homebodies. :D
Plus it would not be safe for them where we live to ever go outside without being in their carriers.

I do have lots of posts etc around the house they enjoy scratching the crap out of and tearing to shreds but I guess with 4 kitties the energy is boundless and they are never too tired to scratch up the furniture no matter how many scratching posts we provide lol. It's OK. It's something that we accept comes with having them as part of our family.

The one thing I really wish we could control is the amount of cat hair always around. No matter how much I vacuum it's just always in the air and we don't have any carpet. My allergies have gotten so bad this year that I am taking my dh's emergency inhaler literally every 2-3 hours the past week (have an appointment with allergist Monday) and while I am allergic to pollen and all the usual suspects that have been bad this past spring I am also allergic to the cats hair and dander so all the stuff floating around in the air inside is not helping me. But it's all so worth it so no matter. We love our sweet kitties unconditionally as one should IMO.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy,

I feel for you re: allergy, as it is really bad in the UK currently with high pollen count for hayfever sufferers.

I kept my cat inside the house for the first few days before I had the chance to have her chipped, and she disliked being inside all the time and p'ed on one of the chairs instead of using her litter box. :rolleyes:

So I reluctantly let her out, hoping she'll be fine. That evening she came back with a cut on one of her ears, after having a fight with one of the neighbourhood cats no doubt.

She may be small (she started her life as a stray) compared to some of the cats in the neighbourhood, however, she is feisty and put up a good fight for her patch.

I had a knock on the door one evening recently, and one of the neighbours asked if she could have her goldfish back, as she saw the cat had fished it out of their pond. Needless to say, the goldfish was a goner, and I had to go round to apologise with a box of chocolate later. They were very understanding, and said had it not been my cat, it would have been another cat in the neighbourhood etc., bless them. Apparently my cat loves to sit by their pond fish-watching. The neighbours have reinforced the net covering over the pond to prevent recurrence.

Love her to bits, as well as my dog. My house is not a home without them.

DK :D

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kenny - COSIGN. I think most body mods on animals are unnecessary verging on cruel (tail-docking, looking at YOU), but declawing really takes the cake.

And as far as scratching/clawing go ... I got one of mine at a year old, one basically young enough for him to think I'm his mommy (hey, I did bottle-feed him). With both, I was messing idly with their feet from day one when I cuddled with them or played with them. Both are fine with me clipping their nails and don't show much interest in sharpening their neat pedicures. YMMV, but it's worth a shot.

missy|1403347563|3697894 said:
dk168|1403346854|3697886 said:
The one thing I really wish we could control is the amount of cat hair always around. No matter how much I vacuum it's just always in the air and we don't have any carpet. My allergies have gotten so bad this year that I am taking my dh's emergency inhaler literally every 2-3 hours the past week (have an appointment with allergist Monday) and while I am allergic to pollen and all the usual suspects that have been bad this past spring I am also allergic to the cats hair and dander so all the stuff floating around in the air inside is not helping me. But it's all so worth it so no matter. We love our sweet kitties unconditionally as one should IMO.

Missy, I feel your pain - I have mild cat allergies, and two cats (I know, you think ... WHY? it's because since I discovered the allergies, I've had overlapping cats). One thing that I found made a difference to me was getting a Roomba, and just setting that sucker free every time I left the house: the difference between my vacuuming every other day and my basically doing it twice a day was huge. Some people recommend washing them with what's basically an anti-dandruff shampoo: I wish those people good luck and godspeed, and lots of thick gardening gloves. But Furminating them, gross as it is - aw, look, a kitten! - helps too. Hugs ... I have asthma, so I know how much it has to suck to be using the rescue inhaler that frequently. Bleh.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I found four year old Eddie at the pound. I didn't really want a cat because of allergies but he's part Russion blue so he produces less dander than most cats. I would never de-claw this kitty, even though he's doing a real number on this couch....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks dk and Circe for your empathy and I hope you guys are breathing well these days.

One thing that I found made a difference to me was getting a Roomba, and just setting that sucker free every time I left the house: the difference between my vacuuming every other day and my basically doing it twice a day was huge.

Circe, thanks for the recommendation re the Roomba. I've always wanted one but dh is skeptical especially given the number of gadgets I have purchased over the last decade plus that I ended up not using lol. I am going to check into the Roomba again thanks to you though. It sounds promising!

Missy, I feel your pain - I have mild cat allergies, and two cats (I know, you think ... WHY? it's because since I discovered the allergies, I've had overlapping cats).

And LOL I hear you on the number of kitties. Both dh and I are terribly allergic but somehow we ended up with 4. Haha it's not only our diamonds that are certifiable. :bigsmile:

And because I cannot resist sharing a kitty pic of the allergy exacerbating monsters... ;))

_227.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
awww Rand, what a sweet baby! :love:

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1403350157|3697907 said:
awww Rand, what a sweet baby! :love:

Thank you! Isn't he just sooo cute? I got him on Valentine's day, during a big change in my life, and he's been my little lap kitty ever since. He's making a mess of my house with those tiny claws but I could never dream of hurting him for such selfish reasons.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not wear much inside the house when the weather is warmer, and cannot have the cat on my lap or chest for too long as she loves to dig her claws into me!

So I cradle her in my arm like a baby and tickle her tummy instead.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed! I found out about the Paw Project through Jackson Galaxy (the "cat daddy" of My Cat From Hell).

I cannot believe how many people still say it is better to declaw a cat than to kick it out because it tears up your furniture. How about a scratching post and nail caps? How about play diversion? Why is mutilation the go-to? :rolleyes:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My cats are indoor/outdoor and I would never declaw them. They have plenty of furniture in the house that is "theirs" to destroy and they leave "ours" alone. I have caught them occasionally trying but one good yell and they're off it.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I think if you have pets you have to expect some repercussions to the furniture. I could never declaw my cats and I wouldn't want to live without them. They add so much to our lives. I'm always amused by people who say that cats are aloof.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
RandG|1403349411|3697904 said:
I found four year old Eddie at the pound. I didn't really want a cat because of allergies but he's part Russion blue so he produces less dander than most cats. I would never de-claw this kitty, even though he's doing a real number on this couch....

awwww... Eddie is adorable!

My cats LOVE the scratching posts available here: http://www.purrfectpost.com/store.html

Even though they are allowed outdoors and always had access to scratching posts (standard kind bought at pet stores) indoors, one of them preferred a couch that eventually was ruined. Ever since I got the Purrfect Post Standard it's the only thing she claws up. She absolutely loves it! The first thing she does when she comes in is go to the post and scratch. I can hear her at night scratching the thing. The website describes why it's a superior post - sturdy, great scratching surface, tall. I got the Purrfect Angle one as well and my other cat (who is not much of an indoor scratcher) prefers that one. They are expensive - but much less than a couch! I have had them for a year and have not needed to replace the scratching surface of either. The sisal on the post isn't even frayed - which is amazing because my 15 pound Maine Coon claws it mercilessly!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Declawing cats is so, so cruel! I judge people who do this. It's just wrong.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
It's an awful practice.

My cats' favorite scratching material is on a small ottoman. We just let them scratch it to hell because it was only $49 and way cheaper than most of the cat condos we get them. They've been good with our sofa, but if they were to start scratching it, oh well. My kitties are way more important to me than a piece of furniture!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since Wikipedia states 25% of cats in America are declawed I'm sure some readers here have declawed their cats.

I'm not wagging my finger at you.
You didn't know you were doing something barbaric to your cat.
Actually, I'd be curious to hear about declawed cats with no physical, behavioral or psychological problems.
The film makes it seem like declawing always has a tragic outcome.

Before seeing this film I assumed if the vets did it, and some even recommend it for all cats, then it must be okay.

Someone needs to do this to the vets and the criminals running their fvcking money-grubbing inhumane associations. :angryfire:

screen_shot_2014-06-21_at_10.png

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Maria D|1403365074|3698016 said:
RandG|1403349411|3697904 said:

awwww... Eddie is adorable!

My cats LOVE the scratching posts available here: http://www.purrfectpost.com/store.html

Even though they are allowed outdoors and always had access to scratching posts (standard kind bought at pet stores) indoors, one of them preferred a couch that eventually was ruined. Ever since I got the Purrfect Post Standard it's the only thing she claws up. She absolutely loves it! The first thing she does when she comes in is go to the post and scratch. I can hear her at night scratching the thing. The website describes why it's a superior post - sturdy, great scratching surface, tall. I got the Purrfect Angle one as well and my other cat (who is not much of an indoor scratcher) prefers that one. They are expensive - but much less than a couch! I have had them for a year and have not needed to replace the scratching surface of either. The sisal on the post isn't even frayed - which is amazing because my 15 pound Maine Coon claws it mercilessly!

THANK YOU for this tip! I'm ordering! Much appreciated by Eddie too!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I was younger, declawing was just what you did when you had an inside cat, and we never thought a thing of it. We declawed Bella and the only time we had a problem w/her and the litter box was when she got old and sick before we had to make the "decision", so that had nothing to do w/her feets. Britta, just only now a few times have had a problem w/her and the litter, but now she's going on 13 and starting to have some other issues. Clem and Opilio we've never had a problem with. Goose still has her claws. She uses the old couch downstairs to work her claws. The plan is to strip the fabric off it before we get rid of it since she seems to only like that fabric, we'll attach it to the cat tree JD made for them in the basement, and have some for the cat tree he plans to make upstairs. We would now get the leather gloves out every couple weeks to trim nails rather than declaw now, for any future kitties, or if Goose were to decide she didn't like that fabric anymore. We are also deciding on a different idea for living room furniture b/c Clem destroyed our leather couches, so again, any future kitties would keep their claws.

So, no, not every cat on the planet that has been declawed suddenly degenerates the moment they come home.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Packrat for speaking up.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1403378557|3698159 said:
We would now get the leather gloves out every couple weeks to trim nails rather than declaw now, for any future kitties, or if Goose were to decide she didn't like that fabric anymore. We are also deciding on a different idea for living room furniture b/c Clem destroyed our leather couches, so again, any future kitties would keep their claws.

That's what matters most Packrat :appl:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I'll admit that EQ was declawed in the front. When I got her (18 years ago), I didn't know any better, because, like Packrat said, it was the thing to do, vets were promoting it, and we didn't have the luxury of the internet to educate us otherwise. She never seemed to have a problem, and would still do what we called "sharpening her toes" on the furniture. Regardless, knowing what I know now, I have never and will never do it again. Both Peanut and Tinkie have their own preferences on what they like to scratch (neither one will touch a scratching post) and we've just sort of figured it out and made adjustments to suit their needs. For instance, my leather couch is covered with blankets and my armchairs have arm covers on the spots where Tinkie has scratched previously. I discovered that she actually loves nylon/mesh (like on backpacks and guitar cases), so I purchased 2 rugs for the bathroom made of this same material and she does all of her scratching in there now. Problem solved! Peanut has always had his own room and scratched the rug that's in there. He's never ever been a furniture scratcher. Keeping my fubabies happy and healthy is much more important than "stuff". Stuff can be replaced, they cannot.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
We had two cats when I was little and both were declawed in the front. They were indoor/outdoor cats (mostly indoor) and had no problems catching things, climbing fences, or defending themselves. One lived to be 15 and the other 19.

I now have two exclusively indoor cats. I looked into getting them declawed, but never did. Not because I thought it was cruel, I just never got around to it. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying that, but oh well. What I have to go on is my experience with declawed cats. I would never ever consider it for cats that went outdoors, though.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am shocked, reading this thread, to find out that vets used to promote it! :shock: I think I remember hearing about how truly awful the practice was and why when I was in high school? Maybe later, at any rate, wow do humans do terrible things to animals to make them adapt to our lifestyles. Maybe we are at the top of the food chain in this time period, but someday we'll be the ones being modified. Scary thought.

I never had exclusively indoor cats growing up, so I never thought to have either of the kitties I adopted de-clawed. I always got them those corrugated cardboard scratch pad things--they were cheap and effective.

My husband is highly allergic to cats so we'll never have one, plus he says cats are made-up pets anyway. :lol: I'm not sure what to think about that, but he says it with such conviction and disdain that it's hilarious regardless of whether it's true.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never declawed any of my cats, knowing what the procedure involves. I would never do that to a cat.
Some are more destructive, than others. Our dear departed Vincent loved his cardboard scratcher-thingy. I think it saved alot of furniture!
Our remaining cat, Phrixus, likes the carpeted top step leading into the living room. It's not too bad, 'cause he doesn't do it
all that much. I have always clipped their claws, also. I think that helps alot, too.
Below is Vincent, whom we lost on May 13.

vincent_on_column_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results