shape
carat
color
clarity

Currently Reading/Book Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I did a search and a couple threads came up about current reads or book suggestions. I think this thread can be beneficial and informative to those bookworms!

Lets hear your current reads OR any suggestions for a good read!

Currently waiting to be read: Night by Elie Wiesel (short and easy read about The Holocaust, but I hear it''s very intense)
Just one suggestion out of many: Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer (Documentary about the trek to the summit of Everest)

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Currently Reading: Emma by Jane Austen. I never got all the way through it when I was a teen, so I''m reading it again and really enjoying it.

Just finished: Little Heathens by Mildred Kalish - I can''t recommend it enough. It''s a beautiful memoir about childhood on a farm in Iowa during the depression. It''s hopeful, uplifting, nostalgic - wonderful. :)

Next up: A memoir my MIL gave me for Xmas - I can''t remember what it''s called, but she said it''s a tear-jerker, so I''m trying to toughen myself up a little before getting into it.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Currently reading: Sunday Jews by Hortense Callisher
Next on my list: A Bad Man by Stanley Elkin

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Currently reading: The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen (good, but a little intense if you have a dysfunctional family of your own)

Just finished: re-reading Persuasion, Emma, Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice, in that order - I found a complete edition of all four on the sale table at Borders
9.gif
Totally forgot how much I love them. Also recently finished The Death of Vishnu (good but overrated IMO), and about 5 Patricia Cornwell mystery novels (well-written, but definitely fluff), plus a couple of Susan Carroll novels (also fluff, but this time historical novel fluff...)

Favorite recent reads that aren''t Jane Austen: The Teahouse Fire by Ellis Avery, John Adams by David McCullough (not at all overrated, IMO)

OK, I read too much...

But definitely get The Teahouse Fire and John Adams bio if you can - they are both really excellent

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been reading whatever Jodi Picoult books they have in our library. I''m currently reading a Janet Evanovich book (Lean Mean 13...still on a waitlist at the library for 14), and I also took out The Other Bolyn Girl, which is up next.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just read The Tender Bar, a memoir by JR Moehringer. Probably the best book I''ve read in years...I read it three times in the span of two weeks. The photo of the author on the back cover is not too shabby, either.
2.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Currently reading: Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut and Kissing the Virgin''s Mouth by an author I can''t remember.

Next: Not sure. I have 7 books on their way from Amazon on a variety of subjects, but I''m leaning towards...well, I can''t remember the name. Maybe The Omnivore''s Dilemma ? Something about food.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Currently reading: No Logo by Naomi Klein, wanting to finish: The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson, want to check out newest David Sedaris (I could use a good laugh right now), listening to on audiobook: It's All Too Much by Peter Walsh (I have a bit of a fetish about decluttering books).

Oh and we recently checked out the movies BUtterfield 8, and Cleopatra from the library as well. We had never seen them before. I love the library.

Mrs.2Artists

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The Silver Chalice by Thomas Costain, The Robe by Lloyd Douglas. These are both novels that explore converting to Christianity but in the actual settings of Rome. Very interesting because you don''t often think of the ACTUAL timeline of the movement to Christianity, and what those people were really doing (at least from an author''s view).

Also, I keep going back to old classics like The Swiss Family Robinson and Heidi. I usually keep to the old stand-bys in the winter months. Something you can cuddle up with and have a cup of tea.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Highly Recommended: The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb
This Much I Know Is True by Wally Lamb
**Obviously, Wally Lamb is my favorite author...I have adored his books and stories since I was first introduced to his work by Oprah and her recommended reading. His books are the type that you cannot put down--they are honestly woven with such thoughtfulness to detail...you fall in love with the characters, all of whom are flawed, real, and heartbreakingly human. When I finish one of his novels, I become sad...because the book is "over"...and my relationship with these characters is over, too. You never want his books to end, they are that delicious.**

Currently Reading: Isabella Moon by Laura Benedict
**Okay book, not what I expected and strange. I wouldn''t recommend it above anything else...it''s an alright read**

Next Up: Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I highly recommend reading Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates, it''s fabulous. Read it before you see the movie.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Right now I'm reading "The Center of Everything," by Laura Moriarty. The book isn't heavy duty literature, but Laura's writing style is wonderful and it flows so nicely! It also reads quickly. Before that book, I read another of her books, "The Rest of Her Life," about a teenager who is all ready for college, has her whole life ahead of her, and then accidently runs over a girl in her high school class and kills her! That happens at the beginning of the story, so I'm not giving anything away just in case someone decides to read it.

Then, before those, I read, "The Book of Ruth," by Jane Hamilton, as I had heard it is a good book, and absolutely HATED it. The ending was beyond gruesome. I cannnot imagine how anyone would recommend that book to another person.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Italia, I read Lovely Bones, and I liked it. I read one of Jodi Picoult''s..Her Sister''s Keeper I think?? It made me cry! I like John Sanford''s Prey series a LOT. Mysteries, suspense, sci-fi fantasy.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Currently reading: The Belagriad by David Eddings (Fantasy series)
They're awesome books!!!

ETA- Have you ever read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant? GREAT READ!!!

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
I''m currently reading The Memory Keeper''s Daughter, by Kim Edwards
Up next is Case Histories, by Kate Atkinson.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Just finished: Noble House (5th book in James Clavell''s Asian Saga - first of which is Shogun, which I highly highly recommend)

Currently reading: Courtroom 302, and Interesting Times (Discworld novel, Terry Pratchett) - Courtroom 302 is too depressing to read just on its own!

Coming up: More Isaac Asimov - about to start his Robot series (finished the Foundation series - LOVED it)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 8:14:48 PM
Author: Tuckins1

ETA- Have you ever read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant? GREAT READ!!!
I read the Red Tent when I was pregnant with my first child. Over 8 years ago and LOVED it! One of my favorite books of all time.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What''s The Red Tent about? I''m intrigued! And Tuckins, I read most of the Belgariad books and really liked them! I got off track b/c our library was missing one, so I skipped ahead and by the time they borrowed the missing book from a different library I''d waited too long, so never finished the series. I''ll have to start all over now b/c that was like 2 years ago. Do you ever read Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 10:13:48 AM
Author:BeachRunner
I did a search and a couple threads came up about current reads or book suggestions. I think this thread can be beneficial and informative to those bookworms!

Lets hear your current reads OR any suggestions for a good read!

Currently waiting to be read: Night by Elie Wiesel (short and easy read about The Holocaust, but I hear it''s very intense)

Just one suggestion out of many: Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer (Documentary about the trek to the summit of Everest)

BeachRunner, Night is one of my favorite books, and it IS very intense. It is however a very powerful book (quick note: Elie Wiesel was a professor at my undergrad. I really wish I had had the chance to take his class, but I never got to
7.gif
)

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 3:56:36 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Highly Recommended: The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb

This Much I Know Is True by Wally Lamb

**Obviously, Wally Lamb is my favorite author...I have adored his books and stories since I was first introduced to his work by Oprah and her recommended reading. His books are the type that you cannot put down--they are honestly woven with such thoughtfulness to detail...you fall in love with the characters, all of whom are flawed, real, and heartbreakingly human. When I finish one of his novels, I become sad...because the book is ''over''...and my relationship with these characters is over, too. You never want his books to end, they are that delicious.**

Currently Reading: Isabella Moon by Laura Benedict

**Okay book, not what I expected and strange. I wouldn''t recommend it above anything else...it''s an alright read**

Next Up: Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold

I LOVED "The Lovely Bones" It was one of the best books ever!
36.gif

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 8:21:27 PM
Author: tiffanytwisted
I'm currently reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards

Up next is Case Histories, by Kate Atkinson.

Kate Atkinson is one of my most favorite authors! I have all of her books and loved them all equally. I wish she'd write quicker!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results