shape
carat
color
clarity

Curious if anybody had this procedure done - EVLT

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am considering this procedure (I have spider veins and I am starting to see little spots where my veins bulge a little ;( ) so I am considering having this done. I'm doing all the reading I can about it and checking out different places who do it but curious if any of you have gone through it, and what your experience has been...

http://www.veindirectory.org/content/evlt.asp#b

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!
I had this done last October. Most hospitals won't do it for spider veins, but if the saphenous vein is in bad shape they do it for that. The procedure took about 1/2 hour, it wasn't painful at all and they encourage you to do plenty of walking afterrwards. You'll have to go back for an ultrasound on the leg a day or so after the procedure to be sure there are no blood clots. Some insurance companies won't cover it unless you've worn compression stockings for about 3 months before you have the surgery. I had it done at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia, and the total cost is about $6000.00 USD.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all that wonderful information MB!

Yes, in my research I did see that there could be risk of blood clots...but so far nobody I consulted with told me about this, even though I asked about potential side effects...

Good point about the compression stockings, too...I wonder ifthat's something the insurance company would answer outright for me before I have the procedure done?

And yes, that's around what I was quoted...about $3000 per leg...not cheap...

If you had any spider or varicose veins, did they improve?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi again!
It would be a good idea to check with your insurance company before you get anything done just to find out what they cover and whether you would have to wear compression stockings for any amount of time before you have the procedure done. This procedure doesn't do anything for spider veins - it only works for the Saphenous vein. They use a procedure called Sclerotherapy for spider veins. My other varicose veins improved a great deal, and my leg doesn't feel heavy any more. It looks much better, too. The cost at Jefferson was $6000.00 for one leg (I had it done on my right leg). Here is a link for the information at Jefferson Hospital:
http://www.jeffersonhospital.org/diseases-conditions/varicose-veins?adam=0fe1b76b-74ac-4fd7-8136-2884be4de9a0

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, MB

My primary reason for me going to the consult was the spider veins - but Dr is suggesting an ultrasound to see what is really going on because there IS a spot that is bulging all the time and when he had me stand up, some veins did "pop out" on the inside of my thigh...but he did say that if the ultrasound shows I'm a candidate and we do the EVLT that I can *also* expect many of my spider veins to go away on their own...he told me that EVLT will help reduce the appearance of spider veins because there will end up being less pressure from the veins that aren't working well. So far I have not encountered articles saying this...

And he did also say that for any spider veins that do not diminish on their own we'd have to do schlero...but I would like to find other supporting articles or data that say that EVLT can end up helping reducing the appearance of spider veins too. If anything, so I feel like I can trust what this doctor is saying...

I want to be well informed if I decide to go through with this...so thanks again for sharing MB! Sounds like you were happy with the results, so that's great!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had this procedure done a year ago. It was 7k for one leg with my insurance covering all of it but I have major venous insufficiency. It was no walk in the park but I'm going for other leg this fall bc the results are great.

The spider veins will not go away with this. You'll need sclero injections for those. Separate procedure.

SuzanneHug

Rough_Rock
My sister had her evlt procedure done in Toronto last year. She developed varicose veins after having her second child. Her procedure was done in an hour. It wasn't painful for her. After the treatment she had a support stockings placed around her leg. She had a bit of bruising around it and applied ice on it. But then the bruises gradually disappeared. In about 10 weeks she started seeing the results.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results