shape
carat
color
clarity

Cover Letters-Do They Matter? Do You Write Them When Job Hunting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine is on the hunt for a new job and we were talking about cover letters. I always write them, but she told me she''s heard several times that most larger companies don''t typically look at them. I can see how that could happen-where I work there''s an electronic system that scores each application based on the information you give, and cover letters are optional, so I don''t think they count for much.

I guess I just figure that if someone does look at them, a good cover letter can give you an edge. But they are time consuming, so I get why she''s reluctant to do one for each position she applies to.

What are your thoughts? If you work in HR, do you look at cover letters? And when you job hunt, do you write personalized cover letters for each position you apply to?

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. I absolutely 100% write cover letters tailored to each position I apply for. And yes. They are 100% the most annoying, agonizing, pain-wrenching thing to write. I always have at least three other people read mine for edits, spelling, grammar, etc. b/c those kinds of mistakes can get you in the interview pile or in the trash bin!

I think it prudent to always write and include a cover letter. If your friend doesn''t, then I''d say her resume better do a heck of a lot of explaining and talking - enough to score an interview.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
My husband is in HR and has done recruiting for some HUGE companies (think 30,000+ employees). He will not read a resume if there isn''t a cover letter attached.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a hiring manager, I always appreciate a cover letter. Unless your experience is tailored to a tee to the job announcement, add a cover letter.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks megumic, EricaR and VRBeauty.

megumic-I know! I totally get why she doesn''t want to write them because I agonize over them for HOURS. But I just can''t not write one. She''s gotten her last 2 jobs without writing them, though, so maybe it just depends on where you''re applying?

EricaR-wow, there''s a strong yes vote!

VRBeauty-another strong yes! I''m winning so far...too bad the lazy side of me wishes I were losing a little.
3.gif

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
depends on the industry and job.
A lot of technical jobs the initial screening is almost always keyword based off the resume.
In other jobs particularly when it involves working with people/office many companies will toss it without a cover letter.
As one of my clients put it this way, when someone cant put the paperwork together right to apply for the job then it means they wont be careful with getting his paperwork right costing him money.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always write cover letters. I'm also in an industry where you *must* upload a cover letter in order to complete your application. All education jobs require online applications, and all of the online applications have different sections for each required component.

Cover letters are really important in my field. I know I read every cover letter of every applicant who we considered calling in for an interview whenever I was on a search committee. The cover letter was often the thing that made us decide to call them in, or not.

Thing: I LOVE your avatar kitty! What a beauty!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Karl, Haven and JulieN!

Karl-I think you''re right in that it really depends on the industry. And I agree with your client!

Haven-I work at a university too, but I''m in research. We have an online application system as well, but uploading a cover letter *and* a resume is optional! Some of the postings require you to answer specific questions that apply to the job, and I think the hiring managers may look at those more closely than they look at the cover letters. I''m going to have to ask my supervisor tomorrow what she looks at!

And thank you! That''s my baby girl Olivia-she''s gorgeous and she knows it!
3.gif
(She really does know it...she has a huge fluffy tail and she flings it around and shows it off constantly!) Gosh I love kitties!
9.gif

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
I''m job hunting at the moment and have applied for about 80 jobs in the past 2 weeks. I used a cover letter for each but created a generic one, as writing individual ones would be too time-consuming, and just edited some of the information for different positions.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always look at cover letters. I was always told that it was important to personalise them according to the position and company that you were applying for.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Yes they are very important and your friend should include one.
Personally, I''ve been told up front in two past occasions that I received interviews on the strength of my cover letters. (and was consequently hired).

I''d also strongly urge against doing the "generic letter" and just editing for each different organization - why? because they can tell, and it can easily get you tossed in the no pile.
I''ve heard this from many employers large and small, and it seems to be bit of a pet peeve.

Of course, there is a difference between having a few key points saved that you can re-use, than make sure the rest of the letter is tailored & personalized for that application / organization.

best of luck to your friend!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing

Definitely include a cover letter!

But my REAL reason for stopping by this thread - your cat. That is one of the most gorgeous cats I''ve ever seen! She is just gorgeous.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the resume will get you through HR to the hiring manager, but the hiring manager is going to read the cover letter. I''ve never had good success landing jobs where my CL was crappy or half-a**ed, and I''ve never been offered an interview for a position where I didn''t submit a cover letter at all.

This could be an industry-specific thing, but I''d follow the guidelines laid out in the job listing (resume, cover letter, salary requirements, etc).

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they definitely matter. I don''t think I''ve ever sent in a resume without a cover letter (CL). Personally, I feel as though I would be putting myself at a disadvantage if I didn''t include my CL. My resume is average, but when I expand on my resume in my CL, it automatically makes me a much stronger candidate.

I did, however, notice that a few companies only asked for resumes (and I''m talking big pharma here) - it might be a growing trend? I hope not though, because as tedious as it may be to write each CL out, we are the ones that ultimately benefit from it.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I always write one. Especially since I''m trying to switch industries, it''s my chance to explain why I want to switch and how my skills are transferable. I hope people are looking at it! Because if they don''t, they''re probably wondering why I''m applying to microelectronics jobs when all of my experience is in food.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kama, it could definitely be a trend, especially in industries where applicant resumes are multi-paged due to publications, etc. Those CVs can be sooooo long!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
As a former HR manager, I''d have to say they do matter.

It especially matters that they are professional in appearance, with absolutely no errors and perfect grammar.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2010 9:42:08 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Kama, it could definitely be a trend, especially in industries where applicant resumes are multi-paged due to publications, etc. Those CVs can be sooooo long!
Very true. I am fresh out of school and my CV is 3 pages long. I can see why a company wouldn''t want an extra page to read.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
As someone who has done a lot of applying, and has also done some hiring...yes, they matter. In fact, I did not even look at resumes that did not have a cover letter. I learned this pretty early - I remember when I was just a young teenager taking the bus home from school and seeing a fast food manager of some sort sifting through applications and resumes sitting beside me, I watched him for a good half hour as we rode the bus. Any application that did not include a resume he put in one pile. Any resume that did not have a cover letter, he put in that pile too. Any resume that had a cover letter (which narrowed it down a lot) he took the time to read through. Of those, he put some in that first pile, and others in a separate. He did not even LOOK at the applications without resumes, or the resumes without cover letters.

They are time consuming, that is the point. They show you actually care about what you are applying to (not applying to everything in the paper) and they also allow you to reflect a bit of your personality and things that cannot be shown in the resume. An employer knows they are not your only choice, but they do not want to be made to feel like they are just one of many either you are playing the lottery of sorts with.

I will say I have always had employers interviewing me be very interested in my cover letter, and I have almost *always* been offered a position (I have applied to a LOT of positions, and obviously have turned many down).

If a job ONLY hires based on resume "credentials", I would not care to work for them anyway (even if I feel I have a very strong resume).

My husband was recently asking the same thing (he has been in the military for many years, and so has not had to do a resume/cover letter deal for a long while) and I discussed the same as I mentioned above....and he is doing cover letters for everything. They give him the opportunity to also demonstrate how certain experiences apply directly to the position (i.e. he has a lot of varied experiences in military in many roles ranging from very technical and physical applications to leadership and management that cannot be explained in the resume).

While they are not necessary if not requested, it is better to do one and have them NOT read it, then not do one and risk them not even looking at your resume at all.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
A big ditto from me to all the "yes, it matters" posts.

Your friend has gotten away with not submitting a CL in the past...so is she now applying for the job she already has? Or is she shooting higher? The more competitive and specific the job is, the more a CL is necessary.

Oh, and to add to Holly, yes, I have seen scented or pink monogrammed CLs discarded with full committees of professionals mocking the person who submitted such nonsense. Or the person who wanted a job in the "pubic schools" we still giggle about what if he had been hired...as a principal!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never heard of NOT sending out a cover letter before. I just sent out a bunch today, as a matter of fact, and they were somewhat tailored for each specific place. I''ve been on a bunch of hiring committees and I find that cover letters give more detail in some ways than a resume does.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I''ve almost always written cover letters. I''m beginning to question if they even get read to be honest though.

Case in point: We were recruiting for an admin to support our group. We got 65 resumes the first week and wanted to review with the recruiter while we were all in the office. We blew thru all of them in 30 mins. We ditched every single cover letter and only looked at the resumes to see who was actually qualified. The recruiter said she NEVER reads them. We would probably have gone back and read them if we''d found more than ONE person that was appropriately qualified for the job though.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll put it this way. I''ve never heard of a well written, on point cover letter hurting anyone''s chances. But I know that in some cases not having one will harm your chances. So... if you want the job, take the time to write one, worst thing they can do is toss it. But I wouldn''t want to be discounted because I didn''t have one.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the are important. Please excuse my while I go bang my head into my desk as I try to write mine.
41.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. Yes yes yes! Cover letters, specifically written for each individual company. Always without fail, they make a great impression and set the applicant apart.

It''s always great to add personal info about the company. Lets them know you''re serious and have done your research, not just blindly applying for any job.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, always, and always specifically tailored to the company and position in question.

If you know that some portion of the population will be sending CLs... why deliberately put yourself at a disadvantage from the get-go?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results