shape
carat
color
clarity

Contrasting nail polish on the ring finger?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've been noticing this on Pintrest a lot - just wondering, is this a trend among the newly engaged, women in general, or ...?

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I just saw someone with this in an elevator today! I assumed it was a mistake. Shows how on top of current trends I am!

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
It's called an accent nail. I would say it is a trend among women in general :))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see it on teens and college-aged gals here in the Midwest. I've also seen it on Pinterest for a long time now, I thought the trend had already peaked.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
My daughter and her friends do it (high school age). It's cute but I'm not a fan of it myself at my age!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I'll sometimes do a contrasting nail on my pointer finger when my nails are grown out and not
broken like they are now.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not high school or college age, and I do it fairly regularly. It will not be a wedding look in a couple weeks, but generally, I like it. Spices things up a bit.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've only seen this on PS in the nail thread(s) and in magazines occasionally. It's not my thing. I prefer plain old regular polish without the embellishment.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
manderz|1355279967|3329082 said:
I'm not high school or college age, and I do it fairly regularly. It will not be a wedding look in a couple weeks, but generally, I like it. Spices things up a bit.

Same! I'll be 30 next week and I do it randomly and have done so for the past year or two. I don't polish my nails very often, but when I do I like a little fun!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Why I am not surprised that this is the first I've heard of this trend? :rolleyes:

It's a common saying: WA doesn't stand for Western Australia, it stands for "Wait Awhile" and maybe we'll get what the rest of the world has. :lol:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
justginger|1355316920|3329224 said:
Why I am not surprised that this is the first I've heard of this trend? :rolleyes:

It's a common saying: WA doesn't stand for Western Australia, it stands for "Wait Awhile" and maybe we'll get what the rest of the world has. :lol:

Hey, I'm in NYC and it still took me until now (and a thread) to catch on!

audball

Ideal_Rock
I haven't seen the different color as much as seeing some sort of design on the ring finger's polish. The base color is usually all the same, but then there will be some glitter tips, or some type of airbrushing/crystal accent on the ring fingers? That's what I see more often anyway.

Like this:

1-m-ringfingermedium.jpg

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DD does this too...she's 17. I think it's cute. The other thing that's popular is putting sparkles/glitter over your nail color. I think both trends look cute on shorter nails but I'm generally not a big fan of long nails.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I noticed this on Real Housewives of Atlanta a year or two ago and I actually liked it. I rarely get a manicure, but I thought about trying it a time or two. In the end, I chickened out because I'm not trendy enough.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1355320495|3329275 said:
I haven't seen the different color as much as seeing some sort of design on the ring finger's polish. The base color is usually all the same, but then there will be some glitter tips, or some type of airbrushing/crystal accent on the ring fingers? That's what I see more often anyway.

Like this:

This i like - but just the different color on one nail i think looks....odd and distracting.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the look on young girls...but I don't like it when I see it on older women...even if they look trendy/stylish, after a certain age I think it looks silly...and even though I'm also "older" :cheeky: and have fun with nail polish colors I'd feel silly with one nail in a different color.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot the ombre nail thing. DD showed me this and I thought it was cute...for her. Only I'm not buying $50 worth of nail polish to help her accomplish the result!

http://www.p-inspired.com/2012/05/nude-ombre-nails.html

If I had to choose a nail trend that I don't like, it's the filing of the nails into *claws*. I'm not sure what it's called but the nails are super pointy...like, could injure you pointy.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hadn't even noticed this trend until this thread was posted and then saw it on another thread.

Whatever makes people happy. It is fine. I don't really care as long as their polish is nicely applied. I cannot stand when polish chips on fingernails and that is why I don't wear it except on my toes.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never heard of this tread until opening this thread. Guess I'm out of the loop and not hip.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My late 50's professor, who is not only a researcher, but also an active clinician, had her nails all black with white on her ring finger nails. That's when I realized this trend was beyond teeny boppers.

I've seen a lot of people do this trend, but I prefer a less contrasted look. I like using glitter, or just a shade difference on the ring finger nail.. or if I put crystals on my nails, I'll put larger ones or more crystals on the ring finger.

This is my take from a few weeks ago:
photo_108.jpg

Apologies for the sideways photo. I have no idea why it does this!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
madelise|1355337454|3329530 said:
My late 50's professor, who is not only a researcher, but also an active clinician, had her nails all black with white on her ring finger nails. That's when I realized this trend was beyond teeny boppers.

I've seen a lot of people do this trend, but I prefer a less contrasted look. I like using glitter, or just a shade difference on the ring finger nail.. or if I put crystals on my nails, I'll put larger ones or more crystals on the ring finger.

This is my take from a few weeks ago:
photo_108.jpg

Apologies for the sideways photo. I have no idea why it does this!!!

This looks really good. A slight contrast! What is the glitter polish you're wearing? It's pretty.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1355347995|3329715 said:
This looks really good. A slight contrast! What is the glitter polish you're wearing? It's pretty.

Thank you =) It's one of those cheapy 1.99 ones from NYX, sold at drugstores.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I saw DD wearing this just a couple of days ago. I thought it was really odd, but she says it's a thing.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
After seeing a few examples ... Is it always the ring finger that's the accent nail? If so, why? (I know, I know, I'm one step away from asking why those kids are on my lawn in the first place.) I actually think it looks cool - :) - I just like to know the rationale behind these things.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1355366808|3329947 said:
After seeing a few examples ... Is it always the ring finger that's the accent nail? If so, why? (I know, I know, I'm one step away from asking why those kids are on my lawn in the first place.) I actually think it looks cool - :) - I just like to know the rationale behind these things.

I don't know, but I've also only seen it on the ring finger. Maybe to show off your diamonds?! :cheeky:

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
puppmom|1355334311|3329465 said:
I forgot the ombre nail thing. DD showed me this and I thought it was cute...for her. Only I'm not buying $50 worth of nail polish to help her accomplish the result!

http://www.p-inspired.com/2012/05/nude-ombre-nails.html

If I had to choose a nail trend that I don't like, it's the filing of the nails into *claws*. I'm not sure what it's called but the nails are super pointy...like, could injure you pointy.

Oooh - I love the ombre - especially in the nude tones. I think the accent nails are cute.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, ladies. I luuurve this trend - just had mine painted yersterday (check out my "pouting" thread :cheeky: ).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madelise, I love your nails but I love your sapphire ring even more - it's gorgeous! :love: :love: :love: :love:

Do you have a thread on it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results