shape
carat
color
clarity

Computer question (kind of)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dell XPS 420 won't start - blinking amber light flashing on.

Potential causes I found out there, bad power supply, bad bios battery, and a few other things.

Did the easy first, replaced the bios battery (didn't work).

Was just going to order a replacement power supply, but then saw this:

bad_capacitor.jpg

Is that a bad capacitor?

It looks like it's slightly bulging, and I don't see brown "liquid" on any other ones...

Could that be the cause?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
yes and yes

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you might need a lightning rod to channel the electricity to your flux capacitor, I know that works for Dr. Brown.

(going to snicker by myself now)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1447109024|3947469 said:
yes and yes

Karl, thank you (was crossing my fingers you'd see the post :razz: )

I have to remove the entire motherboard to get to the other side to desolder it etc. right (and actually see the capacitor so I can get the exact replacement.) I so DO NOT feel like doing this. :/ But if it's the fix, will save me $ doing it myself.

Any desoldering tools you recommend? We have a desoldering "pen" but I think I'd like to get something a little better.

ETA Sorry I think I meant to say soldering gun right? :/ but also we need a desoldering thing I think. :/ (yeah DH will be doing this part) :bigsmile:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89 said:
you might need a lightning rod to channel the electricity to your flux capacitor, I know that works for Dr. Brown.

(going to snicker by myself now)

Snickering with you :bigsmile:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
braid is the best way.
too much chance of static with a sucker unless it has a grounded tip.
there is no guarantee that it is the only problem.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
btw You can find a Dell XPS 420 for 150-200 on cl so don't put a lot into it

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like this, Karl?

desoldering_braid.jpg

Now that's for the DEsoldering part.

What about soldering the capacitor back ON? Is a soldering pen OK?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really? $200?

WOW.

Would be so much better than going through the trouble of doing this. :confused:

I'll take a look on CL.

(and yeah you're right I may go through the trouble of replacing the capacitor and it may not fix it.)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
CJ2008|1447119573|3947538 said:
Like this, Karl?

desoldering_braid.jpg

Now that's for the DEsoldering part.

What about soldering the capacitor back ON? Is a soldering pen OK?
yes
should be, post the specs of the one you have....

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found a bunch of XPS systems on Ebay from $150-$300.

I don't know why I can't get it through my thick head I really should just buy a new system.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
See I don't even know what we have ::)

Thanks Karl.

Can't believe I don't have a PC right now. :( Using DH's laptop.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As much as I like to tinker with electronics, I think a new(er) PC or laptop will be best in the long run. They are very inexpensive these days, which makes it a better option than DIY fixes.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chrono, I don't even like tinkering!

Too time consuming most times.

The thing is when it saves a considerable amount of $ it's worth it...

Realizing that my current PC goes for like $200 on ebay (ETA why did a link get added automatically? I didn't do it!)...well...it's time for an upgrade.

The only thing is the way I usually configure my PCs they are *never* cheap.

I'm looking at the Lenovo laptop ThinkPad W541 (Karl had recommended Lenovos a while back) and the way I have it configured it's adding up to $3275. :shock:

I basically hit the "best" of most of the components, it's just the way I've always ordered my PCs for the most part. If I were more knowledgeable I'm sure I could save some $ but without driving myself crazy to understand every single component I just don't know how else to make sure to get something that's going to be fast and a pleasure to use.

I may have to go back and reconfigure of course because that price sounds ridiculous.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you need that adds up to a nearly $4K system? I just bought my dad a laptop for less than $1K last Christmas. Do you need top processing speed? Do you need the latest and best graphics and sound? What are you predominantly using it for?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks chrono

It's not that I really "need" anything super powerful - I just like my computers as powerful as I can afford them. So I care about the processor, the hard drive, and the memory, etc. - anything that could affect whether it's fast or slow I get the best I can afford.

I did configure a different model altogether and I'm closer to $1,800 which is much better.

Now I'm trying to figure out whether I care about a dedicated graphics card or not - on my desktops I would never even consider anything else - but I'm going to do a little research today on that.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My local TV repair shop (Yes, we still have one, lol.) replaced all the capacitors around the CPU socket on one of my boards for $35. But it took them about 2 weeks to get around to it. People who do that type of work all the time have a proper and efficient desoldering station and can complete a repair job really fast.

I used to always build my own desktop computers. Gave that up when the power supplies and graphics cards went to astronomical sizes that need dedicated circuits which I am not going to have installed on the 2nd floor of am 1860s house. My last desktop PC upgrade was two used HP Compaq Elite 8200, i5 CPU, small ff case. Overall, I am quite pleased with them for Internet and office use. I paid less than $200 for each in 2012. Upgraded hard drive in and installed 8GB new RAM in one. The other one, I combined the RAM from both so that the 2nd PC has 4GB. I use the onboard video since I don't do CAD work anymore and I can't find a decent low profile video card that can improve the display but run on the small power supply in these boxes. (The repaired mobo wasn't from these HPs.)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AdaBeta27|1447420902|3949208 said:
My local TV repair shop (Yes, we still have one, lol.) replaced all the capacitors around the CPU socket on one of my boards for $35. But it took them about 2 weeks to get around to it. People who do that type of work all the time have a proper and efficient desoldering station and can complete a repair job really fast.

I used to always build my own desktop computers. Gave that up when the power supplies and graphics cards went to astronomical sizes that need dedicated circuits which I am not going to have installed on the 2nd floor of am 1860s house. My last desktop PC upgrade was two used HP Compaq Elite 8200, i5 CPU, small ff case. Overall, I am quite pleased with them for Internet and office use. I paid less than $200 for each in 2012. Upgraded hard drive in and installed 8GB new RAM in one. The other one, I combined the RAM from both so that the 2nd PC has 4GB. I use the onboard video since I don't do CAD work anymore and I can't find a decent low profile video card that can improve the display but run on the small power supply in these boxes. (The repaired mobo wasn't from these HPs.)

Going to a TV repair shop is a really good idea - I am definitely going to buy a replacement but if for around $30 I can get this one fixed then I can sell it. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll see if we have a local TV repair shop.

I am really close to making a decision on the laptop...it's between the Lenovo T450s or T440p.

Karl, if you're listening/reading...do you still like Lenovo?

Saw this article that made me wonder if it's still a good choice or if something has been changing with them and I should look at Dell too http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/lenovo-brand-rating

I also know to take these "ratings" with a grain of salt...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
CJ2008|1447510244|3949590 said:

Saw this article that made me wonder if it's still a good choice or if something has been changing with them and I should look at Dell too http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/lenovo-brand-rating

For laptops some of the better hardware, decent support but made some mistakes with the software they allowed to be installed from the factory.
dell business line is in the same class.

desktops there is less difference than laptops between brands.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
We just bought a Dell through Costco. It is a pretty beefy system and was on sale for around $800. Plus, Costco doubles the manufacturer's warranty.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1447517945|3949615 said:
CJ2008|1447510244|3949590 said:

For laptops some of the better hardware, decent support but made some mistakes with the software they allowed to be installed from the factory.
dell business line is in the same class.

desktops there is less difference than laptops between brands.

Thanks Karl.

I priced out a Dell XPS 15 - the "new" 15's. Doesn't give me the same serious "business-y" feeling that the Lenovo's do (but as my DH would say, I'm square like that). ::) But overall I get more updated technology (e.g. 6th gen i7 processor), a bigger screen, and less weight at a slightly better price then the Lenovo's. So I'm seriously considering the Dell.

The only thing is I cannot get it w Window 7 Professional - Windows 10 Professional only. I don't know anything about Windows 10 - but I'm thinking it probably shouldn't be a dealbreaker regardless even if it's not that great an OS.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1447518029|3949616 said:
We just bought a Dell through Costco. It is a pretty beefy system and was on sale for around $800. Plus, Costco doubles the manufacturer's warranty.

Thanks amc. I'm not a Costco member but I'll check out what they have - may be worth becoming one if prices are really good.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results