shape
carat
color
clarity

Company Christmas party

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I figured since we have a board filled with many professional people that you guys could enjoy a good laugh for the day.

My husband is a manager at a privetly owned engineering company that deals with high tech sensors and other electonics stuff (think baggage sorting scanners in all the major airports-factory emmission stuff as well as UPS/ware house stuff) and every year I look forward to getting together with his co-workers for some drinks and dinner without my son and catching up on the previous years life changes.

For the first few years it was a lovely dinner with nice wine-a fun pass the gift exchange with some sort of a lotto draw for the employees to get some high tech prizes (or not-Tim Hortons gift cards is usually what my husband wins lol) and even once-air fare for 2 in North America. I really don't care about the gifts-but I must admit since I'm a stay at home mom and my husband and I have at on of stuff to spend money on our house renos-I really look forward to a nice dinner with wine and getting my hair done and wearing a nice dress to these events.

Last year they 'changed things up' and did a murder mystery dinner thing (which was fun) and I think the president of the company really likes coming up with 'off the wall' things to do for the parties.

SO my husband comes home yesterday and says he needs my opion on something that was brought up for the Christmas party this year. I said sure-what are they planning?

He said without skipping a beat-ax throwing. :shifty:

I said what?

He said ax throwing. I said WTF am I being punked? You mean like midevil ax throwing? He's like yup.

Now hear me out-I LOVE all things strange and weird. Under normal conditions I would think something like this would be super fun and would love to do it as a date with my husband for craps and giggles-but for a company Christmas party I was like ummm no.

It's not that I think its the worst idea ever (pretty close) but there are MANY spouses who this isnt' going to fly with. The company in this area isn't huge (its a world wide company but only about 30 employees at my husbands branch) and I know without a doubt that well over 50% of the employees are not going to enjoy it-nor will their SO-so much so that some them might not even come.

I guess my husband said something about this and a comment was made that it's 'not for the spouses' to which we both have an issue with. In fact-in previous years speeches to us we were told that isn't the case at all-its to thank both the employees for their hard work and to thank the spouses (since usually there are trips involoved and long hours).

It's also BYOB (I said they want us to drink and throw axes at targets?) I guess only beer and wine are allowed and they watched how much people drink :roll:

I told him flat out that this was a dumb idea and that they should change it. The place doesn't serve dinner so they are having it catered by a local BBQ joint and people don't even get to sit down and eat together. It's like a round robin-we're seperated from our SO boys vs boys girls vs girls. I guess we are taught what to do-try our hand at it-eat-and then have a competition for some IPAD or something like that.

The point of my post isn't to vent-I think the idea while unique and cool-is just not for a professional company Christmas party but figured I'd get your opinions on if YOU think its a good idea for a party or not.

I laughed and laughed and waited for my husband to say 'punked' but he never did. I then jokingly asked him if for their Calgary office if they were doing barrel racing for the party-he thought that was a hoot.

So it appears this year I'll be keeping my pretty new dress in the closet and the once a year I wear heels will be passed up for ax throwing boots.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alcohol and throwing axes? While quite different than any xmas party I've attended I think pin-the-tail on the a$$ (whoever came
up with this idea) would be more appropriate!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

You are right! Most ridiculous for a Christmas party and very unappealing. Honestly, I wouldn't go, and I hope other SOs would do the same. I can't imagine where someone got this idea. Sorry.

Annette

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1412257194|3760548 said:
Alcohol and throwing axes? While quite different than any xmas party I've attended I think pin-the-tail on the a$$ (whoever came
up with this idea) would be more appropriate!

It was my husbands best friends idea (from my understanding) who also happens to work there.

I love the fact he thinks outside of the box but even midevil times makes more sense than ax throwing.

I'm so glad you both agree-now I don't feel like the bitter spouse.

I already told him I didn't want to go but truth be told I think I could win the IPad and my laptop took a dump recently and we can't afford to replace it.

I guess it's free to drop in and I'm tempted to go practise and still wear heels and kick some butt.

I just feel this is so not classy when considering how professional the company is-I feel the party should reflect that professionalism.

I think it'd be a great team building activity for them as a group though and I'm hoping there will be enough people voicing their unhappiness with the decision that something is done about it. As it sits now I believe only the team leaders have been informed of the plans and not the office as a whole. When that happens I think there may be a change...here's hoping.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
This is something the company members should do as a team building exercise for a work day away from work, a company retreat of sorts.

It sounds fun, but NO, this is not appropriate in any way for a "holiday party". And I say this as someone who would love to attend such an off-the-wall activity! I don't know how much your husband's opinion matters, so maybe you just have to shut up and show up due to office politics, but if he has any say in the matter, tell him not to go with the flow on this one.

ax throwing... and alcohol... holiday party... :dance:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fact that someone thought this was a great idea for a Christmas party where significant others are invited is crazy. This sounds like a team building activity or a get together activity after a huge project is completed as a thank you. I also worked with engineers for many years and the guys I worked with would of thought this was the best idea ever.

You gorgeous dress is definately not going to work for this event.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, it is the company's $ and they are right in many ways: it is to reward the workers.
the old days of caring about thanking the spouses seems to have been over for sometime.
I think the idea is interesting.....for a SUMMER event.
I also think the company is looking to cut costs...as most are.
I get it.

want to know what i'd do? go to good will and/or create my medieval [or lumberjack or Daniel boone or Viking for that matter] and show up to the event! all in the spirit of thinking outside the box and participating in an "authentic" manner........back at them and enjoyable in my own way. if they want to role play then it is game on!

eta: and my hubby would go for it as well!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tend to agree with MZ. The company has no obligation to provide a holiday party. Also, I am guessing that this activity is not so out of the norm for your area, given that it is an activity that is offered (presumably) nearby. It's not like your in NYC, right, where I agree this would seem more out of the ordinary. If you want to have a nice dinner out with your DH, I think you should tell him that, and not rely on his employer for one. It's fine if you don't like the idea. I get it. But, I personally would not be standing up and telling my husband's employer (or my own) that their ideas for optional/free events are not to my liking. I know lots of companies that do not have a holiday party at all, or they do some years, but in leaner years, they do not.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1412264743|3760614 said:
well, it is the company's $ and they are right in many ways: it is to reward the workers.
the old days of caring about thanking the spouses seems to have been over for sometime.
I think the idea is interesting.....for a SUMMER event.
I also think the company is looking to cut costs...as most are.
I get it.

want to know what i'd do? go to good will and/or create my medieval [or lumberjack or Daniel boone or Viking for that matter] and show up to the event! all in the spirit of thinking outside the box and participating in an "authentic" manner........back at them and enjoyable in my own way. if they want to role play then it is game on!

eta: and my hubby would go for it as well!

I get it I do but they are talking about the companys culture all.the.time and this is apart of that. If we weren't doing any party I would get that too but this company clears over 12 billion a year in profits so I'm fairly certain it's not a matter of cutting costs.

I actually JUST traded my renn. fest costume (corset and skirt) for a lovely upcycled sweater coat-otherwise it would have been prefect. I have the chain mesh belt and dagger to boot-so I'm all for dressing up and getting into character. I just thought it wasn't the right thing for a christmas party (heck-cater at the office if it's a cost thing and do funny games for all I care).

Loves Vintage said:
I tend to agree with MZ. The company has no obligation to provide a holiday party. Also, I am guessing that this activity is not so out of the norm for your area, given that it is an activity that is offered (presumably) nearby. It's not like your in NYC, right, where I agree this would seem more out of the ordinary. If you want to have a nice dinner out with your DH, I think you should tell him that, and not rely on his employer for one. It's fine if you don't like the idea. I get it. But, I personally would not be standing up and telling my husband's employer (or my own) that their ideas for optional/free events are not to my liking. I know lots of companies that do not have a holiday party at all, or they do some years, but in leaner years, they do not.

You are right LV: They are under no obligation to prodive a party at all-and actually this is the first I've ever heard of anything of the sort (in terms of being any ax throwing service). We live in Tornoto so there are quite a few different options in terms of price point (even the company who is catering the event I held my husbands birthday party at a few summers ago and its casual and would be just fine for a low key party. My husband is apart of the leadership team and they were asking for feedback to their idea-and anything I said to my husband in jest would be between us.

Not going isn't an option-and truth be told I'll enjoy the experience because I like that sort of thing. I just think it's totally a crazy idea for a company christmas party-considering post people don't like off the wall things like this and I couldnt' help but be disappointed that what was once a semi-formal event where we could sit and visit and chat with everyone has turned into more of a team building event.

But your right-I should be grateful that they are doing anything at all.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, doesn't sound like fun to me and not a good choice for a holiday party! Throwing axes? :knockout: But I guess some will enjoy it - after 30+ years of attending my husband's business functions I've learned to just slap on a happy face and make the best of it lol. At least it's a night out for you VL!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Movie Zombie brought up a very good point. So many companies have completely done away with Christmas parties. It does sound like this particular outing was what he thought the employees would like. Are spouses invited?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, you got rid of your ren faire dress/corset....but you have some other things: camp it up, girl, camp it up!
show them what a fun woman you are and go for it!
oh, and since it is BYOB? make sure to decant your beverage into something very ren faire or even a simple canteen.
do you have one of those wood goblets? would be perfect for this event.......
be that couple that wins for most enthusiastic in the face of change!

you will either start a trend for more "theme" parties or they'll rethink their move towards "outside the box"........ :lol:

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
I'm from the GTA and I've been to the actual place so I can give a bit of perspective.

I agree it is not a "professional" place. But I disagree that the christmas party needs to reflect the to tone of the company. A christmas party is in a way a team building exercise. And its supposed to be fun.

There will be lots of time for socializing and catching up. Throwing time vs. time spent talking is probably 1 to 5. If you worried about being occupied and not getting to socialize, don't be.

When I went, we had a equal number of men and women, and while every one wasn't great at it, Everyone had fun. Now I don't know what the group would be like, but I think as long as people keep an open mind, they will enjoy it. Its not that hard, and its pretty safe. And yes people were drinking during our event as well (I don't drink). It is a lot less risky than it sounds.

Not sure how the catering will work, cause the place is pretty small, might be done in one of the adjacent areas. That is also an area for socializing.

As you said, you have a defined idea what you think the christmas party should be, and you look forward to exactly that for the whole year. I think it will still be exactly what you want, just with few axes thrown in (pun intended :lol:).

If anyone wants more details, I can elaborate.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
By the way, I don't think they should split men and women up! I would think learning to throw an ax is more about skill than strength (accuracy being more important than speed), and women are pretty good at those sorts of games if they're willing to give it a try! I would definitely want to compete against my husband. :lol:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a lousy idea, but - their party, their rules. Your choice to participate or not. Fortunately you think you might enjoy it - so go, and show them how it's done!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
If you're not into the theme, then I would simply not go. It's not mandatory, right? Personally, I wouldn't care for it and DH and I would just opt out.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1412271076|3760679 said:
Ugh, doesn't sound like fun to me and not a good choice for a holiday party! Throwing axes? :knockout: But I guess some will enjoy it - after 30+ years of attending my husband's business functions I've learned to just slap on a happy face and make the best of it lol. At least it's a night out for you VL!

It is a night out indeed-and i still get dinner and I get to throw sharp objects-it's actually a win win for me lol!

movie zombie said:
ok, you got rid of your ren faire dress/corset....but you have some other things: camp it up, girl, camp it up!
show them what a fun woman you are and go for it!
oh, and since it is BYOB? make sure to decant your beverage into something very ren faire or even a simple canteen.
do you have one of those wood goblets? would be perfect for this event.......
be that couple that wins for most enthusiastic in the face of change!

you will either start a trend for more "theme" parties or they'll rethink their move towards "outside the box"........ :lol:

I actually kept a few pieces from it so I'll have to see about getting the top altered so I can actually wear it. If my computer wasn't dead I'd shamefully show you what I used to romp around in (hint-my girls ALL hung out) but since there were usually naked people in chain mesh no one seemed to mind lol! I'll probably put something to gether only to get shot down by my DH since he is in management and I'm certain his co-works already wonder how on earth he ended up with me. I am a horse of a different color (loud-totally different view point on the world-long haired anti-shaving hippie-home birthing still nursing my 2 year old/etc) and no one can quite picture my DH with someone like me :loopy:

I'll certainly have fun with it I just wish I hadn't sold ALL my corsets since they no longer served a practical purpose in my life. Might have to go find a new one at a thrift store or something lol!

blackprophet said:
I'm from the GTA and I've been to the actual place so I can give a bit of perspective.

I agree it is not a "professional" place. But I disagree that the christmas party needs to reflect the to tone of the company. A christmas party is in a way a team building exercise. And its supposed to be fun.

There will be lots of time for socializing and catching up. Throwing time vs. time spent talking is probably 1 to 5. If you worried about being occupied and not getting to socialize, don't be.

When I went, we had a equal number of men and women, and while every one wasn't great at it, Everyone had fun. Now I don't know what the group would be like, but I think as long as people keep an open mind, they will enjoy it. Its not that hard, and its pretty safe. And yes people were drinking during our event as well (I don't drink). It is a lot less risky than it sounds.

Not sure how the catering will work, cause the place is pretty small, might be done in one of the adjacent areas. That is also an area for socializing.

As you said, you have a defined idea what you think the christmas party should be, and you look forward to exactly that for the whole year. I think it will still be exactly what you want, just with few axes thrown in (pun intended :lol:).

If anyone wants more details, I can elaborate.

I am glad to hear that we will have time to chat and that someone has gone and enjoyed the experience. Are you in the area? i am always looking for fellow bling lovers to visit with :) Thank you for your input :)

Guilty Pleasure said:
By the way, I don't think they should split men and women up! I would think learning to throw an ax is more about skill than strength (accuracy being more important than speed), and women are pretty good at those sorts of games if they're willing to give it a try! I would definitely want to compete against my husband. :lol:

I would love to go against my husband but I think that's the way they did it for prizes. I'm sure we'll see who throws it better at the target either way. We're like that too!

momhappy said:
If you're not into the theme, then I would simply not go. It's not mandatory, right? Personally, I wouldn't care for it and DH and I would just opt out.

Momhappy-it's not but considering my husband is management I'm fairly certain that unless we have a good reason (sick-out of town/etc) it would be highly frowned upon if he didn't go. I'm sure that comments would be made about me not being there either.
Like I said-I actually think the concept is cool but I still don't feel it's the best choice for a company party knowing the staff and their SO like I do. Oh well!

I did manage to find pictures on my etsy account (I traded a lovely woman there for an upcycled sweater coat) so I'll post a couple of pictures of my old costume-I still actually have the black top (the corset made it fit though-so I'd have to get it altered) and I still have the underskirt (I gave her the overskirt with the design on it).

_22911.jpg

_22912.jpg

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Whatever you wear, make sure you have a good range of motion in it. Both hands above your head. You'll need it.

Vintage: I am in the area but I don't have a collection, so I wouldn't have much to contribute.. I know there are others on here who live in the area.

Oh the place splits you up into men vs. men and women vs. women. If you want to have something other than that, I think you guys should make that decision before you go so you can let them know when you get there.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it sounds like a lot of fun. Too bad they have to separate the sexes. I guess the guys wouldn't be able to handle it when the women kicked their asses. :dance: Do you have space and an ax with which to practice? If it were me, I'd hone my skills with all this time to prep for the event. Who cares about the ipad--I'd want the bragging rights for best ax thrower!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1412279654|3760781 said:
Whatever you wear, make sure you have a good range of motion in it. Both hands above your head. You'll need it.

Vintage: I am in the area but I don't have a collection, so I wouldn't have much to contribute.. I know there are others on here who live in the area.

Oh the place splits you up into men vs. men and women vs. women. If you want to have something other than that, I think you guys should make that decision before you go so you can let them know when you get there.

I don't have much of a collection either-at least not compared to many of the others who were at the g2g (and charmy couldn't make it otherwise she'd have shamed all of our collections lol) but I still would be up for a quick meet and greet if your up for it?

I won't be wearing anything 'out there' to the party (well at least not compared to the pictures I just posted-I do wear a lot of out there hippie stuff but will probably wear this lovely hand knit silk and mohair number that should arrive in the mail tomorrow that a lovely lady just finished for me).

monarch64 said:
I think it sounds like a lot of fun. Too bad they have to separate the sexes. I guess the guys wouldn't be able to handle it when the women kicked their asses. :dance: Do you have space and an ax with which to practice? If it were me, I'd hone my skills with all this time to prep for the event. Who cares about the ipad--I'd want the bragging rights for best ax thrower!

I totally agree-and if indeed the prizes are as sweet as my husband hinted they might be-since it's FREE to drop in you best believe I'll be making a trip out that way to practise. I used to be pretty good at off the wall things like this so here's hoping I didn't lose anything with some age lol!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Line up the men on one side.
Line up the women on the other side, facing the men.

Ready?
THROW!

The gender with the most survivors wins.

Seriously, it sounds like an odd event for a company part, but it may be fun.
I would not expect 100% attendance or participation from attendees, and I strongly oppose pressuring people do do things ... even under the guise of team-building.
Not everyone would enjoy an activity with overtones of violence.
I wouldn't.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After years of working with upper management and seeing the way they behave in meetings, I'd be concerned they were all going to make it out alive!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
your hubby is in management?
tell him to lighten up and get with the "think outside the box" program the company is showing they like!
at the very least he should wear a ren faire feather hat!

too bad it isn't cross bow target shooting which I think would be a hoot.......

and who cares what the rest of the attendees think?!
you'll be the one having the most fun!

glad you're going to throw yourself into it a bit....might take the edge off for everyone else that feels disappointed as well.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I guess I'm a little confused about how the thread has gone from a discussion about how the party theme is not professional - to costumes with corsets? If this is a semi-professional group, then I would not wear a Halloween costume to a company Holiday party unless it was specified on the dress code (of course, that's just my opinion, so please take it for what it's worth =) ). If you are considering wearing a costume, I would ask your DH first (since it's his Holiday party) if he thinks that it would be okay.
As far as my previous comments about just not going, since he is management, you're probably right that he shouldn't just opt out if he's expected to go and I can certainly understand that. You might actually be surprised and it could turn out to be a fun event - at least it's something different ;-)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1412283953|3760833 said:
I guess I'm a little confused about how the thread has gone from a discussion about how the party theme is not professional - to costumes with corsets? If this is a semi-professional group, then I would not wear a Halloween costume to a company Holiday party unless it was specified on the dress code (of course, that's just my opinion, so please take it for what it's worth =) ). If you are considering wearing a costume, I would ask your DH first (since it's his Holiday party) if he thinks that it would be okay.
As far as my previous comments about just not going, since he is management, you're probably right that he shouldn't just opt out if he's expected to go and I can certainly understand that. You might actually be surprised and it could turn out to be a fun event - at least it's something different ;-)

Mom happy see previous posts-I was only joking about wearing it (I don't own most of it anymore) but I do tend to dress eccentric to begin with.

Looks like it's a non issue unless they change the date since it's over thanksgiving long weekend (American thanksgiving that is) and we will be in the states. I'll reply more later but mobile isn't my friend when it comes to typing.

If the date gets changed I'll be wearing this with jeans and a long shirt underneath.

ETA: I've said more than a few times that this is an event I would consider fun but not appropriate for a Christmas party-but what do I know? I've never been in any professional position in my life lol!

_22914.jpg

_22915.jpg

_22916.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you need to wear a feather hat with that lovely top!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NO NO NO NO NO!

THIS is what everyone should wear.

screen_shot_2014-10-02_at_3.png

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
vintagelover229|1412284477|3760839 said:
momhappy|1412283953|3760833 said:

Mom happy see previous posts-I was only joking about wearing it (I don't own most of it anymore) but I do tend to dress eccentric to begin with.

Looks like it's a non issue unless they change the date since it's over thanksgiving long weekend (American thanksgiving that is) and we will be in the states. I'll reply more later but mobile isn't my friend when it comes to typing.

If the date gets changed I'll be wearing this with jeans and a long shirt underneath.

ETA: I've said more than a few times that this is an event I would consider fun but not appropriate for a Christmas party-but what do I know? I've never been in any professional position in my life lol!

Ah, sorry I missed that - I see now that you posted that you wouldn't be wearing anything over-the-top, which is a wise choice:) The sweater you posted is very pretty and I'm sure that you will look lovely!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1412280080|3760788 said:

As the Chair of the social committee at our school for many years, I can only say, O M G What were they drinking?

As with any staff function, employees should have a code of behaviour: Show up, guzzle more than your fair share, size up the people on staff that you don't like andThrow your ax!!!

See who turns up Monday :bigsmile:

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1412280080|3760788 said:

As the Chair of the social committee at our school for many years, I can only say, O M G What were they drinking?

As with any staff function, employees should have a code of behaviour: Show up, guzzle more than your fair share, size up the people on staff that you don't like and [b Throw your ax as if you mean it!!![/b]

See who turns up Monday :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results