shape
carat
color
clarity

Color Treated Diamods

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jasi

Rough_Rock
Hi. I''m interested in purchasing a loose color treated blue diamond. My understanding of them is that they are natural diamonds of lower quality and they are lab treated so that they are blue (or whatever other color you''re interested in). What else do I need to know about them? And where can I find a reasonably priced one? Everywhere I look, they seem to be way too underpriced to be what I''m looking for (i.e. $300 for 1/2 carat). I live in Southern California and am not opposed to purchasing one from the internet...as long as I can look at it first. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you soooooo much!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The diamonds you are considering are irradiated champagne / brown diamonds (often of I or SI clarity) that turn permanently blue.

Blue topaz is created the same way from very pale topaz that is very inexpensive.

Nothing wrong with the process or the outcome - but sometimes you can see a bit of a brownish undertone.

Jasi

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the information. Do you know a good place to buy any color treated diamonds on the internet?

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jasi,

As Garry mentioned, there are dealers that "irradiate" brown stones which turns them different colors.
There is no way to insure that one or another color will be the outcome. For this reason, irradiated blues are usually among the priciest of irradiated colors.
Generally spaking the irradiated diamonds tend to loose quite a bit of sparkle VS a non irradiated diamond.
Here's a photo of an irradiated blue diamond.

bl1.JPG

fancycoloredfan

Rough_Rock
Hi Jasi,

I love fancy colored diamonds and have a yellow gemesis stone for my engagement ring.

You might want to try www.diamondscultured.com becuase the last time I spoke to someone there (a few months ago) they said that they will have blue cultured diamonds coming out soon though they didn't say when. I've seen treated diamonds before and I am personally not a fan of the bluish greenish tint - I like the blue diamond look - more greyish blue. But I think the pricing is definitely higher than what you mentioned.

Good luck!

-Ariana

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
I think it is worth looking at the 1/2 ct stones that are closer to $700-$1000 and you will see a huge difference from those that are in the $300 range. Pretty stones before treatment become prettier stones after treatment. Ugly stones before treatment become ok looking stones when treated. We treat about 10 stones per month in that size, some become a loss as they just do not look nice, some turn out fantastic. Most of them are customer's stones who just do not like the color and are willing to experiment based on seeing a few examples. The browns that were on the market from East Indian dealers a few years ago are almost gone. They used to be very cheap and looked nice when treated, now they are almost too expensive to risk the treatment. Some others have gone into the new HTHP treatment labs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results