shape
carat
color
clarity

Closure - I''ve done a brave thing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
I am happily married to my soulmate and adore my diamonds which were bought with love and affection and I cherish them dearly. I was in a previous relationship for 10 years to a man who was a charlatan before I met my DH. We got engaged because he had an account that matured and I wanted to be engaged so he bought me a lovely 0.49ct marquise cut diamond and gave me it - no proposal or anything *swoon* - NOT!!.

Soooooooo, I decided that it was about time to get rid of this diamond and all that it stood for. After a year and half of trying to give away to family and friends, sell it, auction off and try and lose it, I finally sold my ex-engagement ring on fleebay this afternoon!!! This is the 4th time I''ve tried on there and now someone has won the bid - I just know its going to fail or whatever, the ring is cursed and I''m doomed to have it sit in a box in my house forever.

Problem - I feel slightly emotional about giving away this beautiful diamond to someone who may not appreciate its beauty. Sure, its not the biggest or best cut diamond, but it is very sparkly and pretty and they got it for an absolute steal.

Considering the fact that I''ve been trying to sell it, why am I feeling like this and has anyone experienced a similiar situation? Its been 10 years since we split up and its not about him at all, but yet I still feel
5.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
You go girlfriend!! New chapter...new verse...more sparkly things to come...just keep looking forward. No I haven't experienced what you are...but just wanted to chime in, and support you. The new you. Shake it off girly.

The bad mojo is on the way out...right?

Loved your description of Fleebay. Agree.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
"has anyone experienced a similar situation?"
Yes my GF was in similar situation few years ago.So she finally decided to keep the stone and her new BF got her 2 side stones and they had it re set ..She is happy about her decision.I think her mid stone is over 1 c.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
thank you DKS - BTW - I never thought, you could have had my diamond!!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Dang it...now you tell me!
15.gif
Lest I know where my true friends are...
2.gif
just kidding.

Thanks for the comment, and the thought. You needed to help donate to the cause of fleabay-we all must do our part...kiss kiss.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Jeze! If it falls through burry that thing in the backyard!! Get rid of it you don''t need it anymore
2.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Feels just ahhhhhh, yes? I sold my li''l .42 3-stone promise ring on craigslist months ago, and when they almost didn''t take it, I was thinking NOOOOOOO! At this point, there''s no sentiment, it''s all about the
22.gif
22.gif
. Hehe.

PS. Also have a heart necklace free to a good home.
31.gif
9.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
I say, "You Go Girl!" Get rid of that bad karma!

I got rid of all of the jewelry my FI gave me in the 6 years we were apart, and I still wouldn''t change a thing...I am glad that the past is left where it belongs, in the past, and we have found a much better place together in the here and now.

I did keep all of the cards, letters and pictures from our first 4 1/2 years together and was sad to learn he hadn''t when we got back together, but we all move on in our own ways, and getting rid of jewelry I thought I would never wear again was my way, ditching all of our memories was his. We are past all of that and so much better for it!

Now he keeps EVERYTHING I give him...it''s kinda cute!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you did the right thing getting rid of the stone, especially since your memories of that relationship are not so hot, but I can empathise with your sad feelings of
15.gif
... I wonder if the sadness comes NOT from the reality of that past relationship, but from the "might have been" that the diamond represented? I know when I ended a very horrid relationship right before I met DH, I needed to mourn my lost hopes and dreams for that past relationship as well as get over my anger at the reality of his aweful behavior. So maybe your little diamond was holding some of those hopes, and finally getting rid of it means thinking about some of those thoughts again?

Or maybe that's all psychobabble and you are just sad because you couldn't get a fair price??
9.gif

Either way, good for you for closing that door.
36.gif

DD
35.gif

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I have experienced this as well. I had a .74 crt marquis from my previous relationship. It had channel set stones down the sides. In all it was 1.5 total. I took it to a pawn shop and took what they said they would give me at first offer. (yes it was a steal as well) No questions, just took the money and said bye bye. never looked back. I tried to figure out what i could do to reset it. If I could ever appreciate it''s beauty again... However, the memories attached to it were just to disgusting....

I did buy a couple nice Christmas gifts with the money though ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results