shape
carat
color
clarity

Christmas gift return etiquette...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the the recipient needs to pay the charges. It wouldn't even cross my mind to expect the giver to pay them.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
mrssalvo|1326309180|3100545 said:
I think the the recipient needs to pay the charges. It wouldn't even cross my mind to expect the giver to pay them.

this.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
As the gift giver I usually take responsibility for sending gifts back that don't work. (Although it hasn't happened often.)

I ordered my sister a Kindle case for Xmas that I found online and she loved, but it turned out to be too big for the Kindle Touch, which is what she got. I sent it back myself and gave her the $ to use for a case whenever she found another one she likes. (Cute ones are so hard to find!) She ended up finding one on Etsy shortly afterwards and ordered it herself with the money. I ordered it with my credit card so I don't really get how she could have returned it! If it was from a local store that would be another story.

Also, my sister and I both gave a friend some Riedel wineglasses from Williams Sonoma as a wedding gift, and when she opened them, they were broken! :( My sister took them back herself to get her some non-broken ones.

So in this case, given that it was from a mail order place and the MIL paid with a credit card, I think the OP's MIL should have handled the exchange and either given the OP $ for a wrap or found a wrap like the one the OP asked for.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
In general, I'd think the recipient would be the one to return the item if it was something he/she didn't want to keep for whatever reason.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results