shape
carat
color
clarity

Christmas decorations......

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
....are they up yet??? Where are you folks on the decorating trajectory...

I just saw the neighbors dragging in a Christmas tree.....

Despite unusual amounts of cold weather and early snow....I am not yet in the decorating mood. Did hear Christmas music in the liquor store today!!! :o

cheers--Sharon

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
We have already. Only because we won't be home for Xmas, well that is the plan. Just waiting for passports to arrive.

Our DDs are 2.75y and 4mo. We never had a tree up until this year as the oldest now understands. So we bought our LED tree in eBay and it arrived two weeks ago. We put it up and there are presents under the tree already!!! The LED saves on the decorating!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, maybe Greg has the key to decorating! :lol:

I just prefer to not skip Thanksgiving in order to start Christmas in mid-November. So I do not ever do any decorating until after Thanksgiving Day. I know Canada has Thanksgiving earlier, which is helpful. But for me, a month of Christmas is just enough.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
None here yet, but I must admit, I've had to resist the temptation to put some up. For the first time ever, we purchased an artificial Christmas tree. For the past few years, our (real) Christmas tree has gotten so terribly dry (more so than normal) and it gets to the point where it becomes what we would consider a fire hazard. I'm not really an artificial tree kind of person, but the thought of not having to worry about it (and not having to deal with needles all over the floor), certainly did appeal to me this year. My tree arrived in one day (standard shipping from Balsam Hill) and I've really had to resist the urge to put it up and check it out :razz:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving, unless we're visiting DH's family for Turkey Day, in which case I'll decorate right before we leave because we're usually gone until the middle of the week following and it's nice to come home to a Christmas-y house!

Not sure how much will go up this year...we're not hosting and I don't have many decorations anyway.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought a new tree this year as well, Momhappy, and it is still in both of its boxes... but I'm REALLLLLLY curious to see it set up!! :appl: I will still set up my 7' black tree in the living room w its white & silver decorations, but this new tree is a 10' white pre-lit tree with over 1800 white LED bulbs and that will get all of my turquoise decorations. Maybe I'll throw a hint of purple on ... I'll wait till its done to see if it needs a secondary pop of colour. This is going in our 2 storey family room - its going to be.... wait for it.... LEGENDARY!!!

A few houses in a near by subdivision have their outdoor lights on and looks so .... *early*!! I follow my own unwritten rule that Dec 1 is the date to turn them on.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
It is early yet but we are having a warm snap it was in the 40's today so I got outside to put up some lights and garland on the fence along the driveway and put away some lawn furniture but I will not turn on the lights until thanksgiving. Enerchi, please show us pics when your house is decorated, that white tree sounds fabulous!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Oh- that is right -USA-ers have thanksgiving before Xmas. We don't celebrate that holiday, so that makes it easier for us.
Miss E likes turning on the lights at night! Sweet!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have never had a Christmas tree because it's always just been DH and I, and we celebrate Chrismas at my parent's house anyway. Plus we have two mini fox terriers who would just destroy it anyway. This year Christmas is at our house, and with an 11 month old I decided it was time to get one... and let HIM destroy it instead :bigsmile:
It's in its box along with hoards of sparkly things ready to hang on it. Mum and I have always put their tree up on December 1st, so I'm waiting until then. I'm ITCHING for December to roll around!! :appl:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wait until Thanksgiving passes. Why rush things? We haven't put a tree for past few years because DS would destroy it and injure himself in the process. I think he's old enough now for us to get a small tree (less damage if/when it falls down :o) and shutterproof ornaments.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Ours are up! We go to pier 1 and buy stuff from there for halloween and for Christmas. No tree yet, that will be up after Thanksgiving. I actually really dislike Christmas but I enjoy decorating for it. Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday but I can never seem to find cool decorations for it! Here are some of our decorations (can't wait to buy a house so I have room for more).

screen_shot_2013-11-16_at_10.png

screen_shot_2013-11-16_at_2.png

screen_shot_2013-11-16_at_3.png

screen_shot_2013-11-16_at_4.png

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I hold strong that Christmas decorations do not go up until the day after Thanksgiving. Then I spend the whole Friday getting into the spirit! Then I leave them up until the weekend after the New Year and down they come. I can't wait to get them up, I love putting up my little tree.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far, I've only seen Christmas decorations in stores. None in the local residential areas yet.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the ceramic gingerbread house (a tradition), some carved snowmen, and a string of lights on the mantle. No tree until December 10th, as I do every year. I insist on a real old fashioned tree, and no one likes a fire hazard :cheeky: !

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am crazy excited because the boys understand the holidays this year. When the boys were babies I did not decorate; last year I bought the boys their first tree but this year, I am excited, they get it! lol Anyway, we are decorating after Thanksgiving. Any sooner, is a bit too early!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
We just put them on tonight! We won't be around for much of December, and I absolutely love Christmas trees, so I was happy to put it up early. :appl: :appl:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I put up decorations right after Thanksgiving. It is soooo hard to resist decorating early b/c I keep seeing cute little candle holders and fun things (like candy cane candles) that it takes a lot of self control not to buy and stock pile.

A couple weeks ago, there were reindeer hand towels that I bought and had left out on my table and the kids' friends came over and explained it was too early for Christmas decorations ;-) lol

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1384660288|3557867 said:
Ours are up! We go to pier 1 and buy stuff from there for halloween and for Christmas. No tree yet, that will be up after Thanksgiving. I actually really dislike Christmas but I enjoy decorating for it. Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday but I can never seem to find cool decorations for it! Here are some of our decorations (can't wait to buy a house so I have room for more).

Yep, Thanksgiving is kind of hard to decorate for. You can do the fall theme and have that extend from Halloween through Thanksgiving. Years ago, I bought some cute turkey place mats that I bring out every year, but other than that, we really don't decorate too much specifically for Thanksgiving...I like to put out items for Halloween and Christmas, but not much in between. Next year, I may try and do the fall theme that works for both Halloween & Thanksgiving and then add in just a few specific dedicated holiday touches. World Market had a couple really cute decorations, but I didn't want to spent so much for just one month.

ETA - and why do you dislike Christmas? I have a more difficult time w/Thanksgiving than with Christmas.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
its way too early for me..ugh...since Thanksgiving is late in November this year, I will get the boxes out the weekend of Thanksgiving..no guarantee that I will do anything with them though lol, I tend to put everything up within the first couple of weeks of December...I have to rearrange furniture in my tiny living room and I always have trouble getting to my office when the tree and decorations are up...but I moved my office to another part of the house so maybe I will put them up earlier this year...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DandiAndi|1384657013|3557845 said:
We have never had a Christmas tree because it's always just been DH and I, and we celebrate Chrismas at my parent's house anyway. Plus we have two mini fox terriers who would just destroy it anyway. This year Christmas is at our house, and with an 11 month old I decided it was time to get one... and let HIM destroy it instead :bigsmile:
It's in its box along with hoards of sparkly things ready to hang on it. Mum and I have always put their tree up on December 1st, so I'm waiting until then. I'm ITCHING for December to roll around!! :appl:

What fun it will be!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1384648333|3557786 said:
Ha, maybe Greg has the key to decorating! :lol:

I just prefer to not skip Thanksgiving in order to start Christmas in mid-November. So I do not ever do any decorating until after Thanksgiving Day. I know Canada has Thanksgiving earlier, which is helpful. But for me, a month of Christmas is just enough.

I feel the same way.....I really really love all the lights, household decorations and tree baubles....but when Jan 1 rolls around...I feel satiated!

I put the lights up on the deck early this week, and with the snowfall last night I turned them on since it was pretty....but it won't be an evening ritual until the beg of Dec. Gotta hold out!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1384672381|3557903 said:
I put up decorations right after Thanksgiving. It is soooo hard to resist decorating early b/c I keep seeing cute little candle holders and fun things (like candy cane candles) that it takes a lot of self control not to buy and stock pile.

A couple weeks ago, there were reindeer hand towels that I bought and had left out on my table and the kids' friends came over and explained it was too early for Christmas decorations ;-) lol

I saw some gorgeous hand towels last week, and ALMOST bought them, but thought the better of it since they were mostly linen and be da**ed if I am going to iron Christmas hand towels!!!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1384660288|3557867 said:

Very nice--Pier One is awesome for stuff! I need "Christmas" wine glasses and will head there....

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy|1384665386|3557887 said:
I am crazy excited because the boys understand the holidays this year. When the boys were babies I did not decorate; last year I bought the boys their first tree but this year, I am excited, they get it! lol Anyway, we are decorating after Thanksgiving. Any sooner, is a bit too early!

When my son was little, he had his own Winnie the Pooh tree in his room...and he would just sit there and stare at the adorable decorations....I kept that tree for SO long....even when he no longer used it....I loved the memories!!!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Bought a red poinsettia today! (which will be one of many!!) :o

cheers--Sharon

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1384705045|3558023 said:

When my son was little, he had his own Winnie the Pooh tree in his room...and he would just sit there and stare at the adorable decorations....I kept that tree for SO long....even when he no longer used it....I loved the memories!!!

cheers--Sharon

Aw, that is so sweet Sharon, and such a great idea! Wish I had thought to do it - I do have some ornaments that bring me back to when my kids were little - a Super Mario figure, a Thomas the tank, a Disney Aladdin, and a few others. Takes me back and makes me sad and happy at the same time!

I'll do my decorating the week after Thanksgiving and call it good!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't even put my Fall stuff up this year. There's been a couple years Christmas stuff went up on the 23rd b/c someone in the house couldn't get the boxes down from the attic for me. And this year again I'll be the Grinch (how many times have I had You're a mean one, Missi Grinch sang to me, I wonder??) b/c it always ends up being me doing all the decorating and taking it all down again. Bah.

However, as much as I grumble..I love Christmas (I can do w/out the Christmas songs starting LAST WEEK tho, that's a bit much..except for Feliz Navidad, that's just a fun song anytime). I wish we had more room to store things so I could go nuts and decorate to the teeth for it. I got a couple cute new signs to put out this year. The kids each got a cheesy little tinsel tree last year for their rooms.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1384722210|3558130 said:
canuk-gal|1384705045|3558023 said:

cheers--Sharon

Aw, that is so sweet Sharon, and such a great idea! Wish I had thought to do it - I do have some ornaments that bring me back to when my kids were little - a Super Mario figure, a Thomas the tank, a Disney Aladdin, and a few others. Takes me back and makes me sad and happy at the same time!

I'll do my decorating the week after Thanksgiving and call it good!

:bigsmile:

I still have those ornaments that were "homemade" in school--yanno the awesome stuff that was spray painted and hand written when the kids were learning to write.....I can't part with those either....

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1384723529|3558137 said:
I didn't even put my Fall stuff up this year. There's been a couple years Christmas stuff went up on the 23rd b/c someone in the house couldn't get the boxes down from the attic for me. And this year again I'll be the Grinch (how many times have I had You're a mean one, Missi Grinch sang to me, I wonder??) b/c it always ends up being me doing all the decorating and taking it all down again. Bah.

However, as much as I grumble..I love Christmas (I can do w/out the Christmas songs starting LAST WEEK tho, that's a bit much..except for Feliz Navidad, that's just a fun song anytime). I wish we had more room to store things so I could go nuts and decorate to the teeth for it. I got a couple cute new signs to put out this year. The kids each got a cheesy little tinsel tree last year for their rooms.

Bing Crosby in the liquor store yesterday was just TOO much! I needed a drink! :devil: (marketing at it's best...altho the cashier did say he had more than one complaint from customers about the early Christmas music)

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results