shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat adoption dilema (urgent, with pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
We have had our eyes set on a pair of kittens (Monet and Sterling) for adoption (please see here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/any-owners-of-3-to-4-cats-meow-here.101331/). Today we went to an event where the 2 kittens are with all other kittens and cats available for adoption. My DH and I went to visit Monet and Sterling first and played with them in person for the first time. For some reason the little girl (Monet) was resistance to my DH and refused to be held. We asked the volunteer about it and they said "she is like that with all men, so don''t take it personally". However I can see that DH was a bit sad and disappointed. We then walked around more and visited the other 15+ cats...and for some strange reason, we both became very drawn to this 4 month old kittie Nina, who has lost half of her eye sight. Nina has been rescued from group dog attack, and was injured in the eyes from that attack. She is just the sweetest thing! When we held her and petted her, she fell asleep in our arms within one minute! it was instant bonding and took no effort at all. In spite of her sweetness, she has not been offered a home possibly due to her blindness.

We are now torn between choosing either the sib-pair, or Nina.

I am posting pictures of Monet and Sterling, and a couple of DH holding Nina. Would you please help us decide? Thanks!!!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
This is Sterling, he did not mind being held at all!

DSCN5960b.JPG

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
This is the beautiful Monet, but she is resistant to be held....
38.gif

DSCN5959b.JPG

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Now this is Nina, who has very bad eye sight and might eventually become completely blind, but isn''t she sweet?

DSCN5962b.JPG

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I would take Nina. You''ve bonded and she likes your husband. Someone else will come along for the other kitties.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Last one of Nina. With her eyes wide open after a nap in DH''s arms for a full 5 minutes.

DSCN5963b.JPG

*Danielle*

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, I would take Nina. The other kitties will have an easier time of being adopted, plus you both bonded with her.

This is an awesome thing you are doing. It is definitely rewarding to adopt any animal, especially special needs animals.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I would take Nina. I think that the other two kitties are adorable and will be adopted fast.
I think Nina wants to be somewhere safe, and I'm guessing she senses that you will provide that for her since she fell asleep on your DH.
30.gif

But I would probably ask if Nina can stand to be around other kitties, although it probably wouldn't be a dealbreaker since my two cats aren't exactly "friends".

There were two times that I could have adopted an abused kitty and I went for the healthier one instead. I love my cats, but I still regret it! Once I had to choose from the one I picked and another one that was a siamese and had been shaved so it had a mohawk (dyed pink by some dumb kids
38.gif
). Another time a cat was recovering from a surgery and so I opted for the healthier one. Sigh. I feel bad. I think if you can give Nina a good home you definitely should!

ETA: The face Sterling is making in the first pic is SO funny!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I''d go with Nina. It''s awesome you are even considering her when most wouldn''t! And Monet and Sterling are much more likely to get adopted on their own.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Nina would be the kitty I would go for you both bonded with her and to me that is the right kitty :)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Nina, because you guys both bonded with her and that''s important! I think there was another thread a month or two ago about someone who had problems because her cat really hated her husband...not that it''ll be the same in all cases, but it''s good that Nina is affectionate with both of you. Plus, the likelihood of the kitty siblings being adopted seem much higher than someone adopting Nina...this seems like a great chance to give her a good, loving home.

They''re all adorable by the way!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2008 4:42:55 AM
Author: Deelight
Nina would be the kitty I would go for you both bonded with her and to me that is the right kitty :)
Ditto. I have a cat who is completely blind in one eye and he manages beautifully.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go with Nina as well. Go with the kitty who you bonded with.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d go with Nina. When I adopted my cat I went with the one I knew I''d love being with the most. She''s just perfect for me. Nina seems to be what you really want.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I would say go for Nina since you both bonded with her and she''s a special needs girl, but I do think that Monet will probably soften up towards your husband eventually if you still want to get the brother/sister pair. Hey I know-get all 3! Everyone wins! Yay!
12.gif

But seriously, at first my kitty Ophelia wasn''t too crazy about my fiance, and I don''t think she was abused by men or anything-she was a feral cat when she was rescued. I think she just liked me and trusted me first because I''m the one who adopted her from the rescue place and took her home. After about a year of living with us she started to accept him more, and now they''re friends and she loves it when he pets her.

Also, not all kitties like being held, so it could also just partly be her personality. Really none of my cats like me to hold them for more than like 30 seconds unless they''re in a super duper sweet special mood, but they will cuddle with me on the couch or in bed. However, if you''re looking for a girl who likes to be held and is obviously very sweet, I say get Nina!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
There's hope that Monet will become snugglier if you work on her. Our cat refused to be held by anyone when we got him. After a couple months of working on it, he now LOVES to be held and when I get home he pesters me until I give him his snuggle. It has take my FI more work (he's skittish around men, also for no apparent reason) but he's getting there now. Still not a lap cat, though.

That said, I'm partial to Nina a) because of her physical condition, and b) she looks a lot like our little guy so I'm biased. She just looks so comfy with your husband, like she's already claimed him!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d take Nina...I think the other cats will have no problems being adopted.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I''d definitely go with Nina. A similar thing happened to DH and I when we were looking for our 2nd cat. We had been eyeing up a boy kitty on a rescue website, but when we finally went to go look at him, he hissed at us and generally was not interested at all. We walked around and looked at the other cats and our baby Wakizashi (Zashi for short) pretty much picked us. I sat down and she jumped into my lap. She loves being held by both of us and is just the sweetest. Sometimes I think your pets pick you
1.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Nina! She''s a lovely girl, and it looks like she''s made the decision for you. She looks so happy in your DH''s arms.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, cats pick their person not a person picks a cat. Don''t break the rule
2.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s funny it reminds me of a story where my current boss talks about "his neighbor''s cat" quite often. I asked a coworker about it and apparently it is the neighbor''s cat, but the cat has chosen my boss as his human owner. So basically it really is his cat at this point, and luckily there is no hard feelings between the neighbors.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Awwwwwwww...Nina is a lump of love! I''d pick her. Her story alone makes me want her!

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While I think Monet can easily turn around once she is out of the shelter system and comfortable at home, I think you can''t ignore the bond you found with Nina. I''m also a TOTAL sucker for special needs animals
30.gif
NINA!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2008 11:12:36 AM
Author: Miranda
Awwwwwwww...Nina is a lump of love! I''d pick her. Her story alone makes me want her!
Me too, if she were here I would take her!
face23.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 1:38:41 AM
Author: zhuzhu
Now this is Nina, who has very bad eye sight and might eventually become completely blind, but isn''t she sweet?
Zhuzhu,
The look on Nina is so sweet...heartmelting sweet. I agree with what part gypsy said, "cats pick you" and little Nina felt comfortable and safe with your husband. Let''s think of it as an interview and-- for a successful fit--both parties need to feel good about the situation (you/DH and the kitties).

I am sure Monet will warm up in time. Everyone has bad days, y''know? But, I keep coming back to little Nina...my gosh, there was chemistry. I am glad that you both interacted with them and got a chance to see their personalities. AND, of course, had the chance to meet Nina. Isn''t funny how face-to-face can change things? Overall, I am thrilled you and your husband are giving some needy kitties a home! Just my 2 cents
21.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked someone''s suggestions that you take all 3
37.gif
which would be great because it''s clear all 3 cats would be very loved. But I know that''s not what you''re looking to do.

For the reasons the others mentioned, I''d take Nina - she would have a much harder time getting adopted - and I think you guys are already in love with her.

Whichever one you decide on, you''re doing a wonderful thing.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is the reason i don''t go to these events: i''d take all three.

movie zombie

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2008 11:58:41 AM
Author: movie zombie
this is the reason i don''t go to these events: i''d take all three.

movie zombie
I''m not allowed to go even if I''m not looking to adopt. Last time I went to a shelter with my sister who was looking for a kitten, it was ME who came home with a wobbly one
20.gif

Taking all 3, I like the way you guys think!
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nina, no question. She bonded with you, and she's a kitty that needs a home now. And you said you kitties love other kitties, so they might help her out once they get to know her. Cats pick thier humans. She picked you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results