shape
carat
color
clarity

Canon 550

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know we have had some ''what are the best camera'' threads around here before but i am interested in finally getting the Canon 550 PowerShot Digital Elph which is a 7.4 MP camera, my camera is totally dying AND there is no way I am going off to Texas to take diamond pictures with a fritzy camera!! So now is the time.
31.gif

I have found it on various websites for about $320 with shipping and tax etc. But I wanted to hear from Canon owners, anyone have the 550? I think Dem has the 500 and she loves it. Anyone else have a Canon and love it?

This sounds so funny, silly even...but I really want it to take good diamond pictures. If you have a Canon 500/550 or similar, do you think it takes good diamond shots? If so, please post them!! I''d love to see them. Also how user friendly do you find them?

I use the camera mostly for pictures of people at gatherings (pictures of friends and family, Portia etc), and then I love doing diamond and flower/garden shots, so I really want something that can zoom a bit better than my current camera and get CRISP on closeups, and also something that has a high MP count (mine currently is only 5MP) and lastly one that takes bright evening and nighttime shots without the flash washing everything out. From what I have read in the past, the Canon 550 seems to fit the bill, but any red flags?

Here is the online store I am considering, it has the best price, full US warranty (what does that mean vs import warranty?) etc and lots of good reviews.

http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?utm_id=14&ref=nextag&sku=CNPSSD550#productIncludes

Any help appreciated, I really want to buy in a week or so.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
My fi has had a Canon camera for quite some time now (I think 6 years...) and it''s the best! Canon also has this little known deal that if down the road, your camera breaks, they will replace it for a nominal fee with a newer version
1.gif

A lot of the online camera distributors sell cameras that actually came from foreign countries/suppliers, thus do not come with the U.S. warranty.

I haven''t actually used the 550, but I''ve read great reviews on it (Steve''s Digicams & DC Resource).

Cameras are such a fun purchase!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have the 550...I have the way older version 3.2 megapixel Canon Elph Powershot SD110 and I LOVE IT!!!! I love the tiny size of the camera, it works wonderfully, can''t say enough good things about it!!! So I can imagine that one with twice the resolution would be awesome!!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I have this camera and I got it from buydig.com as well! I don''t remember what I paid, but I got it with the first package, with the 512 mb memory card, the case and the cleaning kit. I bought my other camera from them as well.
I got it in February or January and I haven''t taken any pictures of diamonds with it!
The only pictures I can think of are the ones of my butterfly ring and the Roberto Coin pendants that I took in my thread. I have a lot of pictures that I took of family, etc. and they are excellent. I even printed them out at home and they look great.

One thing you should note about this camera is that the battery must be removed in order to charge it. Other cameras you just have to plug in the ac adapter, but this one doesn''t work that way. YOu remove the camera battery and place it into the charger which goes directly to an electrical socket. That is the one thing I find annoying with the camera.
I asssume they did this because the camera is so small, but my friend has a casio that is the same size and she just plugs the power cord into it and it''s ready to charge.
The other thing I did notice about this camera is that it comes in champagne from buydig, but Best Buy has it in silver, which I like a lot more. also, I would find out if bestbuy can price match the camera as I think it''s a good idea to get their extended warranty so that if anything happens, they wilill fix it or replace it for free.
I can''t say enough about Bestbuy''s warranty service as I have had my daughter''s gameboy advance replaced 4 times now and I never had to pay anything extra out of pocket, not even the shipping. And it only cost me $9.95 for the two year warranty.
But, anyway, I think it is a great camera.

I just got my laptop last week and have not installed the 550 software, otherwise I would take pictures and let you see how well they look.
2.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Mara,
My current camera is the SD 550. The screen is large and it is a very user friendly point and shot camera. It takes pictures with a reasonable lag time, and nicely organized. ETA: You do not have to install the software if you don’t want to. I never do I just use the Microsoft program that comes pre-installed on PCs.

I mentioned this in your other thread, but it does come in two colors, one the typical SD silver, the other an odd champagne color...which I did not care for, you need to request which you get if you purchase online.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 5:35:17 PM
Author: Matatora

I mentioned this in your other thread, but it does come in two colors, one the typical SD silver, the other an odd champagne color...which I did not care for, you need to request which you get if you purchase online.

I did this when I purchased from buydig and they said they only sold the champagne color. Maybe they are selling it now in silver? I would definitely get the silver color, it''s much nicer, IMO.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 5:45:29 PM
Author: butterfly 17

I did this when I purchased from buydig and they said they only sold the champagne color. Maybe they are selling it now in silver? I would definitely get the silver color, it''s much nicer, IMO.
They have always sold the silver, but not every vendor offers it. You have to ask to find out, but I prefer the silver.

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
I too am looking for a new digital camera, and my main criteria is the lag time between pressing down the shutter button and actually taking a picture. I went to BestBuy and tried every single camera that worked, and found the Kodak V570 (I think that is the correct number, but you never know with me!) was by far the fastest. But I couldn''t use a lot of the Canons, so I don''t think I tested this one. So I would be really interested to how Mat exactly how much of a lag is there? Like if I wanted to take a picture of an an animal or young child, would I have any issues??

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for chiming in...

Right now I have the Sony Cybershot and it has the typical digital camera lag i guess, the flash is what takes FOREVER when you use it, it does the double light for the flash and everyone always thinks the first one is the picture and by the 2nd one people moved. So I'm used to a huge lag time on the flash for the Sony. But for regular pictures it doesn't seem to have a lag going on, when I press and it focuses then it shoots. It's pretty fast without the flash. Is that what you guys find with the Canon's as well ? Anything is better flash wise than what I have but I don't want a long lag for non-flash pictures.

I will have to check out the champagne (I saw one site which called it Gold) vs the regular silver...though I really don't care what color it is. I do want to get a bigger memory card (I saw buydig had a special on a bunch of them) and the case as well because my old one alway got banged up from not having a case.

I've been happy with the Sony but I have always heard great things on the Canons and after seeing some images of people's diamonds on here it seems like this camera would give me what I wanted. Guess we'll see! I will go look at your diamond pictures too Mat. Your pictures I remember seem to be really pretty too FG!

Part of my beef with the Sony is that it VERY RARELY captures the fire I see in my diamonds, it captures lots of white brilliance, Alj and I noticed the differences in our cameras in Texas, hers gets tons of the fire and mine gets all the white light. Totally random. But frustrating when you want to show different personalities of the diamond!!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 6:02:20 PM
Author: Rascal49
I too am looking for a new digital camera, and my main criteria is the lag time between pressing down the shutter button and actually taking a picture. I went to BestBuy and tried every single camera that worked, and found the Kodak V570 (I think that is the correct number, but you never know with me!) was by far the fastest. But I couldn''t use a lot of the Canons, so I don''t think I tested this one. So I would be really interested to how Mat exactly how much of a lag is there? Like if I wanted to take a picture of an an animal or young child, would I have any issues??
There was less of a lag w/ the SD then other models...the worst was the Cybershot. Bleh. I don’t think you ought to have issues, but I used the high speed memory card, because I think it helps.

This shot is Ava, who has learned to open the cabinet doors…and is smart enough to close them back. When I came home yesterday I caught her with an unauthorized pig ear…the camera was quick enough to catch the shot before she went to hide it in the arm chair. (That is her I am not sharing w/ you face.)

caugt with aupe.JPG

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I know nothing about cameras, but Mata, that is the funniest thing I''ve heard today (for a couple of days, really). I love the "unauthorized pig ear" part!! Gotta love Ava''s face there... I think my fiance had that look last night over the mashed taters!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date: 4/11/2006 6:12:18 PM
Author: Mara
Thanks everyone for chiming in...

Right now I have the Sony Cybershot and it has the typical digital camera lag i guess, the flash is what takes FOREVER when you use it, it does the double light for the flash and everyone always thinks the first one is the picture and by the 2nd one people moved. So I''m used to a huge lag time on the flash for the Sony. But for regular pictures it doesn''t seem to have a lag going on, when I press and it focuses then it shoots. It''s pretty fast without the flash. Is that what you guys find with the Canon''s as well ? Anything is better flash wise than what I have but I don''t want a long lag for non-flash pictures.

I will have to check out the champagne (I saw one site which called it Gold) vs the regular silver...though I really don''t care what color it is. I do want to get a bigger memory card (I saw buydig had a special on a bunch of them) and the case as well because my old one alway got banged up from not having a case.

I''ve been happy with the Sony but I have always heard great things on the Canons and after seeing some images of people''s diamonds on here it seems like this camera would give me what I wanted. Guess we''ll see! I will go look at your diamond pictures too Mat. Your pictures I remember seem to be really pretty too FG!

Part of my beef with the Sony is that it VERY RARELY captures the fire I see in my diamonds, it captures lots of white brilliance, Alj and I noticed the differences in our cameras in Texas, hers gets tons of the fire and mine gets all the white light. Totally random. But frustrating when you want to show different personalities of the diamond!!!
Did Alj have the Canon? I do remember the differences in some of your pictures. I have been using an old Sony as well and am always frustrated with the results - course could just be my photographic skills! What I see in the screen, i.e. arrows and flashs, NEVER show up on the pics.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I have an older digital Canon, which still rocks after 4 years! (Although, not particularly when taking pictures of diamonds, but that could definitely be user related!)

My husband has a Sony Cybershot, and his actually has more MP...but my pictures totally blow his pics out of the water! We even bought my In-Laws one for Christmas because they were so impressed with mine! Someone told me that most camera companies put in a lens that matches the price of the camera, but that Canon puts their high-end lenses even in their cheapest cameras! Could be bull...but I really can''t say enough good things about my camera!

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
I have the Canon SD400 and it takes great photos. It definitely can capture the fire in diamonds, as evidenced by the picture of my ACA wedding ring (attached.) I think it''s a great camera, but be warned, the bigger screen means more chance of breaking. I bought mine in June of 2005, in August 2005 I had to shell out $150 to get the cracked screen replaced, because wouldn''t you know it? The one part that usually breaks on this camera, is not covered by the warranty.

I wish you well,

Bridget

wedding ring 041.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks guys...i was reading up online as well and i have to say the one downer for me is that this camera has a 2.5" screen BUT the pixels are not as high as my 1.5" screen on my existing cybershot. one of the reviews said that the images are pixelated on the screen but that it looks 'okay'. my 1.5" screen on my sony has 123k pixels and the canon 550 has 115k pixels, so i'm a little apprehensive about that. when you guys view the images on the screen LCD do you feel like you can see detail enough to determine if you took a good enough/quality picture? also can you zoom into the picture to see if small details come out using the LCD? i can on my Sony and it's something i like to be able to do, aka if i zoom in to 5x and it's fuzzy then i know that my picture will not be able to be blown up and be crisp so i can take another one.

anyway i am still loving the other elements from what i have read but anyone have good or bad to say on the screen issue?

oh and mgr, no alj doesn't have a canon, a kodak i think???

Tool Guy

Rough_Rock
Just my 2 cents on this.

If you want to take a great picture of your diamond you must have a camera that has a macro setting for cloesups. If you can on a sunny day go out side with a lot of sunlight but not directly on your ring. Move the diamond around so you are not getting any reflections when looking into your screen. Snap away, you should get some good shots.
1.gif

PS. I use a Sony CD 5.0mp
36.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
My sister have the Canon 550 and I have the Sony Cybershot DSC T-7. The screen size are the same on our cameras and when we take pictures, I can''t tell the differences in pixel on the screen (my image doesn''t look more sharp than hers). I haven''t try to take pictures of diamonds with her camera though, but I think it''s an awesome camera.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 5:52:05 PM

Date: 4/11/2006 5:45:29 PM
Author: butterfly 17

They have always sold the silver, but not every vendor offers it. You have to ask to find out, but I prefer the silver.
yes, I know the camera has always been sold in silver and in champagne, I was saying that at the time I bought it from buydig, they(buydig) were only selling the champagne color, but maybe now they(buydig) is selling it in both colors.
And I did ask for it in silver, but again, they did not sell it in that color.

Anyway, I purchased in it the champagne from them because I figure that everyone has a silver camera, so this sets mine apart and also I thought the price was unbeatable compared to other vendors.
2.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if you got it yet or not, but I finally installed the software and took these pictures. No sunlight though, on my window sill at home.

IMG_0466 2.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Here is one more I took. I find that taking pictures outside is the best and it''s very easy, just press the macro button, turn off the flash and stay at least 12 inches away from the ring. Also, I always take it in M mode (manual).
2.gif

IMG_0471 2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Kayla, thanks for posting the picture!!

Mata''s pictures of her new bauble yesterday convinced me to get the 550 and Amazon was having a special on it with a free 256MB memory card, so I upgraded it to a 1GB for like $15 more and got it...so my total was something like $350 for everything, free shipping, no tax!

It should be here by the 27th! YAY! I''m so excited. Oh and it was the beige/gold one but I figured who cares, silver or beige, it works the same!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

Oh Kayla, I see what ya meant, sorry I can be a bit dense at times.

37.gif

Mara, I really hope you like your new camera! I am enjoying mine very much! I cannot wait to see all your fabulous new photos!
36.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara I''ve been looking at this camera too. I went to a camera shop but the girl was all about Minolta. I had a film Minolta and wasn''t pleased with it so she and I just weren''t seeing eye to eye!

In your research, did you look at any of the Nikon''s? Just wondering - they are probably higher priced though.

One feature about the Minolta she was talking about was stabilization. She thought for any real still photographs - like diamonds - you would really need a tripod without the stabilization feature. I''m sure it would help but don''t know that it is absolutely necessary. The Minolta I had was terrible with red eye - she claims they have improved that now.

Anyhoo - just trying to pick your brain! A new stone and a new camera - what else could a girl ask for?
31.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 7:33:55 PM
Author: MissGotRocks

Did Alj have the Canon? I do remember the differences in some of your pictures.
No - I have a Nikon and I highly recommend it. Love the camera.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alj, which model do you have? I really would like to compare features.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe I know Miss Got Rocks!!

I have to say that almost every time I have loved a diamond picture on here it was taken with a Canon. There are times when it was another camera, but I have also always heard the best things about Canon just from random people too.

I know I mentioned this before but my Sony seems to only be able to capture mostly whitelight in the diamond. I felt like Alj's captured fire perfectly but I didn't think hers captured white light as well as mine did. So it was like if you could merge our two cameras together it'd be ideal for me. But the Canon...on here I have seen both fire and white light AND also that wonderful super crisp clear see through look that seems easy to capture with the canon, like the shards of light inside the diamond are beaming. Demelza took this one picture a while back of her new (then!) 2.35c stone, which is still my most absolute FAVORITE picture on here ever and it was with her Canon. And she just points and shoots. That's what I wanna do!

Plus for me price point is important, I don't want to spend too much on a camera because I just trade them up every 4 years or so...my old one was $500 and this one was $300 so even better priced than in the past. And it sounds like it will do what my old camera DID and DIDN'T and then some! So I'm really excited.

Also I found this awesome comparison/review site, I will have to dig out the url when I get home for you. It even had my old Sony on there so I could compare the new Canon to the old Sony and anything in between.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is that picture from dem that just took my breath away, it has to be my all time fave PS picture ever...she has a canon A520. my old sony could never have done that, and look at the crispness of the shot! stunning.

dem fab picture.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember her pictures well - they looked like professional photography!

I too just want to point and shoot - not interested in fiddling around with settings.

When I went to a camera shop the other day, the girl that was helping me was all about Minoltas. I had a film Minolta and didn''t like it. I really wanted to compare and she just wanted to push Minolta. I got bored and left
7.gif

I am sure you will take some shots of your current stone with the camera before you leave for Houston. It will be interesting to see the difference.

Thanks for the info!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Glad you made a decision, Mara!! You will love this camera, I am positive.

And don''t worry about the color, you won''t even notice the difference really as it is a very light champagne color, not dark at all.

Congrats!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results