shape
carat
color
clarity

Cancer, the Sandbox, and Me

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I posted in another thread that I'm Stateside and battling cancer now, but don't want to take up anymore of that thread. So I'll answer posts here and tell a bit. I left PS early last year after getting kind of ticked at some happenings over on RT. I was in Iraq at the time, and finished that tour not too long afterwards. Late last year I deployed to Afghanistan for my third visit to the sandbox, my second to Afghanistan. Within a couple months I discovered a fast-growing lump in my breast. I showed it to the medical staff there, and was on the next flight off my base and out of country. In the mean time a couple PS'ers had found me on another forum and contacted me about PS, and I started missing some of you here.

Now I'm sitting home, bald from the chemo, and looking forward to finishing treatment. I brought some posts over from another thread to answer here....

isaku5|1340551268|3222817 said:
Andelain|1340517298|3222715 said:
Dust and prayers going out. I'm fighting a battle with an aggressive form of breast cancer myself right now, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Andelain, I'm so sorry for the suffering you're going through.

Healing vibes and lots of hugs coming your way :wavey:

Thank you. I'm really praying for your biopsy to be negative. :wavey:

crown1|1340576295|3222951 said:
Andelain|1340517298|3222715 said:
Dust and prayers going out. I'm fighting a battle with an aggressive form of breast cancer myself right now, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

i missed your posts andelain. i am sorry to hear you are battling bc. i wish you well and will offer a prayer for your recovery.

isaku, prayers and well wishes for a good report.

Thank you, I missed some of you here on PS, too. Prayers appreciated. :wavey:

Haven|1340581474|3222988 said:
Andelain--I am so sorry for what you're going through. Dust and prayers outgoing for your recovery.

Isaku--Still thinking of you. Dust and prayers for good results.

Thank you, they're much appreciated. :wavey:

Elisateach|1340582210|3222994 said:
I second the missing your posts, Andelain! I was actually worried about you as last I thought I heard you were off protecting us!
I am a an almost 18 year survivor of stage 2 invasive ductal breast cancer, so I can relate. Prayers for a swift recovery!!!

That was my second tour, and unlike the first, I didn't get hurt that time. Not for lack of trying on the Iraqi's part, though. They rocketed and mortared my base constantly, shot up a chopper I was on, killed 3 of my brethren and wounded 2 more during that tour. My first overseas tour was cut short by an injury, and I was on my third. That one was cut short by the cancer.

I'm glad to hear you beat it! :appl: :appl: I'm stage 2 also, and grade 3, very aggressive. Short of having Inflammatory Breast Cancer, I have the worst possible type. I'm triple negative, so no hormonal treatment or Herpecin will help. I had a lumpectomy, but 2 months later another MRI showed the possibility of more cancer, so I'll be getting a mastectomy after I finish chemo.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs to you from another cancer survivor! :wavey:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Andelain. :wavey: First, I would like to say that I am glad you are home safe from your deployment. But it saddens me that you are home from one battle to fight another. I am so sorry to hear about your breast cancer. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Sending lots of dust for a full recovery!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Hi Andelain!

Was wondering where you have been!

Sending lots of positive thoughts and healing vibes your way. :halo:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gah -- So much of your post is cut off by the gosh darn sidebar stuff! I wish they'd figure that formatting stuff out. But ....

Welcome back! Best of luck on your treatment! And thanks for your service.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Andelain. :wavey:

Sending you lots of dust for a speedy recovery... :appl:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelaine - It's good to hear from you again!

Dust and prayers for strength, healing, wise choices to and you and your medical team.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
I said it in the old thread and I will say it again, great to see you back!!

Look after yourself! :wavey:

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Andelain, wishing you all the best in your treatment. My thoughts are with you.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain, I've often wondered where you are! It's so good to 'see' you again! :wavey: I'm so sorry for what you're going through, sending strength and healing vibes across the oceans!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Welcome back, thank you for your service to our country and I am hoping for a full recovery.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its always sad to see a fellow PS'er going through something so frightening. I pray that you make a full recovery very soon. Big hugs.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain, I am so sorry about your cancer and I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and hope you make a complete recovery. Hugs, healing vibes and prayers being sent your way.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
OMG Andelain, I haven't been around much lately and I missed this! Lots of *DUST* and love coming your way! Here is a flower for you ::)

pink_gerber_daisy_2.jpg

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
Glad you are home safe but not glad to hear you are still fighting daily. Lots of dust that your treatment goes well and you will be part of the Cancer Survivor's club soon!!

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
I am so glad you posted, I was wondering about you and thinking the worst...
I wish you all the best with your treatment and send you a big hug!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Andelain,

It's great to 'see' you again on PS! My thoughts are with you for a full recovery. Hugs.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so happy you're alive! You're tougher than cancer, especially after three trips to the sandbox. As always, good thoughts coming your way, and since you're stateside, they'll get to you faster! :D

Stay strong!

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
armywife13|1340600486|3223117 said:
Hi Andelain. :wavey: First, I would like to say that I am glad you are home safe from your deployment. But it saddens me that you are home from one battle to fight another. I am so sorry to hear about your breast cancer. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Sending lots of dust for a full recovery!

Armywife13 summed up my thoughts beautifully. I am sending prayers and positive vibes your way. I feel strongly that you will beat this, I'm not sure why, but I just have a very positive feeling about this!

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Andelain, I'm so sorry to hear about the cancer! I hope things get better and you recover well.

I just wanted to say that I'm glad you're back. You were already gone when I came out of lurkdom and joined PS, but I always seemed to end up reading old threads with your posts and really liked you. So, hello :wavey: and welcome back.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Andelain, I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Lots of positive thoughts for you and your recovery. Thank you your service!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
So glad to hear from you again, but not to hear the news of your cancer. But, you are as tough as they come, and my money is on you!!

Praying for a full recovery, eventually. Hang in there, and keep on posting.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Bald is beautiful!
As Winnie the Pooh says" you are stronger than you think! "
It does suck that you survived all the horror of the sandbox and now have to fight this evil! You will be in my prayers daily!!!

Briefly about me:
Found a lump around Nov1994. Dr. Says get mammo after the holiday. So I waited till Presidents Day( hey it's a holiday!) mammo looked like a splattered egg. Never saw people move so fast! Saw Ob, Surgeon and oncologist in record time. March 1st . Biopsy :
My tumor was 4cm just 1cm away from being stage 3 and it had spread to a lymph node. So i was stage2b This was in the days before sentinel node biopsy, so the whole arms with of nodes are gone. After almost 18 years( it will be 18 on March 1st) my arm pit and about 4 inches down my underarm are still numb. BUT. Every once in a while I get a crazy itchy sensation and I realize I have more feeling!!! By my 20th anniversary I guess it will be all back. I has mastectomy with a TRAM flap reconstruction done at the same time. One bonus of the TRAM FLAP WAS a free tummy tuck!
8 cycles of chemo and 5 years of tamoxifen( hormone + )
About 5 years ago I had a breast lift on the other side( I was a 36 long at that point;-) now they are perky as a 20 year olds!!

Sorry if this was TMI
Elisa

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, is it totally weird that I have felt really bummed about this all day since seeing this post this morning? Andelain, I've always appreciated your posts and your 'style,' and I'm sending tons of prayers and dust for your full and complete recovery. :wavey:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm happy that you're back in the States and back on PS. Hugs to you and healing vibes too.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear of your cancer! Breast cancer is a tough disease but thankfully treatments are much more effective these days than in the past. My mom died from it, both her Aunts had it, one died early but the other lived thil 83. Along the way I have had a lot of things done and pretty much as close as you can get to a cancer dx without actually having it (LCIS).

Triple neg is difficult but usually responds to chemo. Hope that chemo is kicking the cancer's butt! There is a great website, breastcancer.org, with awesome discussion groups and a whole section for women with triple negative. If you haven't been there, you might check it out. Lots of information, the participation is huge.

Hoping for a fully recovery for you!! Be well.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
armywife13|1340600486|3223117 said:
ditto, I am so sorry; keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!! sending much love for a full recovery and love for what you are facing right now.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry you are going through this, but I hope you have a great recovery. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've missed your posts!

So sorry to hear you are having to deal with cancer. Lots of hugs and positive thoughts headed your direction!

danners84

Rough_Rock
Andelain, keeping you in all of my positive thoughts and prayers.

Triple negative is something I'm all too familiar with - my sister is wrapping up her treatment as we speak. I don't want to fill your thread up with her story, but let me know if you have any questions about her treatment/experience.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results