clarity

Canada Customs HELL!!!!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 5:58:44 PM
Author: Gailey

Date: 4/27/2010 4:50:52 PM
Author: LitigatorChick
Gailey, I didn't take those steps. I expect reasonableness and common sense, and not utter stupidity.

I did declare this as a repair - I was very open and forthright throughout this process.

I also wrote SP to inform them of this mess, so they can warn other customers.

It is a stupid money grab, plain and simple.
I'm almost loathe to respond to you LC, because I can tell you are absolutely hopping mad, but I think your comment highlighted above is the crux of your issue. You expected 'reasonableness and common sense' and Canada Customs expected the correct paperwork.

The lady I spoke to in person at the Customs Office in Calgary prior to shipping was quite adamant that I needed this form and said that to ensure that the goods were returned with this form in it's original state, i.e. with the red numerical stamp, because otherwise duty would be payable - no if's or buts. Rules are rules (that's wht she told me).

Sorry you've had this hassle and expense. Better luck next time.
I rang our Customs morons, sorry Customs officers before I sent my e-ring back for repair and a new setting and was asked to jump through similar paperwork hoops before I sent the ring back to ensure it's re-entry. I remember all to well how stupid it was and still they held it hostage for a few days while they 'looked into it' or some such crap. But at least they did not try to double charge me; for the repair and reissue.

Sorry LitChick, did you post any update yet? Do you have your ring back?

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Hi Gailey - sorry for the misunderstanding - I don''t know much about customs! and hope I don''t have to find out more if it''s this annoying/frustrating :)

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2010 3:44:50 PM
Author: LitigatorChick
Hey all!!!

Well Steve must be knee deep in horse semen, so nothing new to report today!

Gailey is right - my rant is that I am paying on the first import and the second import, both times on the full value of the ring! I don''t get this double paying thing and this it is just plain stupid.

In future, I will ship to my firm''s Vancouver office and let it pass Customs there.

ARGH!!!!
You might get charged more taxes going through BC than through Alberta.

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
hello !

I need to ship a ring back to I.D Jewelry from Toronto to be resized. Can someone tell me what I need to make the process as smooth as possible? What forms do I need to fill out? It it best to ship Fedex?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
ILTW

I posted a link to the form in my firs post in this thread I think. I would phone your local customs office, better still go there in person and ask for their help in filling out the form. I guess it''s possible that different offices have different procedures. In Calgary it is imperative that the form be stamped with their red ink stamp.

I would also include copies of purchase receipt and local appraisal to support your claim that what you have is a product of Canada.

The courier you use matters not, except for insurance purposes. FEDEX don''t insure jewellery or gems over and above $500.

Can I ask why you want to ship a ring back to the US just for a re-sizing?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2010 10:59:35 PM
Author: ilovethiswebsite
hello !

I need to ship a ring back to I.D Jewelry from Toronto to be resized. Can someone tell me what I need to make the process as smooth as possible? What forms do I need to fill out? It it best to ship Fedex?
I don''t see a need to ship a ring back to ID Jewelry for just resizing. If it was a Leon and something intricate then perhaps.

Since you are in Toronto, I would suggest you ship it by a means that is safe (Fedex if you have additional insurance, UPS if not). However, to get the ring back ... ship it to a UPS depot just across the boarder in Niagara Falls, NY. Drive over with your original paper work - proof you paid taxes before or at least something that will show the ring was originally in Canada. Go through customs with the ring in person.

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
hi ladies,

thanks for the replies! i am not sure what to do to be honest! i rather not send it back to the US if i don''t have to, but it''s a palladium ring and i have called all the local jewelers i know and no one knows how to size palladium rings... i guess i will have to rethink sending it back - seems complicated for nothing. the ring fits but is very snug on my knuckle to the point where it hurts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results